Night shots with the Fujifilm X-E1

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,316Gear list
Like?
Night shots with the Fujifilm X-E1
Jan 28, 2013

I'm always interested in seeing real world examples of how cameras perform, especially the new X-Trans sensor equipped cams. For me real world results are what counts.

One area that really interests me is night photography. I mean, how capable is the Fujifilm X-E1 for night shooting?

I came across this image gallery by Mike Mander which shows pretty clearly what is possible with the X-E1.

But what is further interesting about this is he has post processed all of them with Adobe Light Room 4.3 which seems to do a perfect job from what I can see. If you had doubts about whether Adobe Light Room is good enough yet to handle Fuji X-Trans files you may like to have a peek .....

Pretty amazing quality from a decent camera in the hands of a decent photographer.

Cheers

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Re: Night shots with the Fujifilm X-E1
In reply to BillyInya, Jan 28, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

But what is further interesting about this is he has post processed all of them with Adobe Light Room 4.3 which seems to do a perfect job from what I can see. If you had doubts about whether Adobe Light Room is good enough yet to handle Fuji X-Trans files you may like to have a peek .....

As has been explained to you before, you can't tell much about the quality of a raw conversion from a heavily downsampled image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James M Hilliard
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?
In reply to Zardoz, Jan 28, 2013

For some detailed information on ultra long exposures at night you can visit my blog at

www.markhilliardatelier.wordpress.com

There are example images plus discussions on how to get great results.

Here is an example...

-- hide signature --

Mark Hilliard
Color Blog: www.markhilliardatelier.Wordpress.com
IR Blog: www.infraredatelier.Wordpress.com

BillyInya
Like?

Zardoz wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

As has been explained to you before, you can't tell much about the quality of a raw conversion from a heavily downsampled image.

No quite true there Zardoz.

After clicking on the image you can click on the "open 2400 pixel version" then click on the image that displays to reveal a very decent size image. You can do that with all of them.

I think you will agree those night images from the Fujfilm X-E1 and post processed through Adobe Light Room 4.3 represent excellent quality. The color rendering and sheer detail in them is amazing for a 16MP sensor.

I think they are very good indeed.

Cheers

Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Zardoz
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

After clicking on the image you can click on the "open 2400 pixel version" then click on the image that displays to reveal a very decent size image. You can do that with all of them.

Are you trying to tell me that 2400x1600 images aren't downscaled, now?

James M Hilliard
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?

Of course they are downsized, but good enough to make informed decisions.  Why the fighting stance?

-- hide signature --

Mark Hilliard
Color Blog: www.markhilliardatelier.Wordpress.com
IR Blog: www.infraredatelier.Wordpress.com

BillyInya
Like?

Zardoz wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Are you trying to tell me that 2400x1200 images aren't downscaled, now?

For goodness sake Zardoz. Stop being relentlessly negative and argumentative just for once will you. People must be so fed up with it.

Do you mean to say you are completely unable to even remotely ascertain the quality of an image unless you have the exact full size image in front of you?

If so then this is your handicap because hardly any images seen in the professional world are published at the exact original size of the image out of camera, indeed, rarely are they even printed at the exact original image size out of camera.

Why not make a comment on the quality of those images as seen through your eyes for a change and lose the negativity ... please.

Cheers

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to James M Hilliard, Jan 28, 2013

James M Hilliard wrote:

Of course they are downsized, but good enough to make informed decisions. Why the fighting stance?

Perhaps it is his reasoned opinion that downsized images are NOT good enough for HIM to decide on the quality, and NOT a "fighting" stance.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
BillyInya
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jan 28, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

James M Hilliard wrote:

Of course they are downsized, but good enough to make informed decisions. Why the fighting stance?

Perhaps it is his reasoned opinion that downsized images are NOT good enough for HIM to decide on the quality, and NOT a "fighting" stance.

Correct. Having the ability to gauge the quality of an image based on a 2400 wide example comes over time.

A combination of experience, knowledge and your own abilities all help one to make an informed judgement on the quality of an image possible, even if it is slightly less than the full original size.

If he is not there yet then that's fine.

Cheers

Zardoz
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

For goodness sake Zardoz. Stop being relentlessly negative and argumentative just for once will you. People must be so fed up with it.

Why don't you stick to the topic of conversation? General accusations are a waste of time, especially when unfounded.

Do you mean to say you are completely unable to even remotely ascertain the quality of an image unless you have the exact full size image in front of you?

It's quite clear what I said, and what it was in response to. There is no negativity, merely correction. In this case, correcting (again) your belief that observing the behavior of raw conversion software from heavily downscaled images is representative.

There are known, well documented issues with Lightroom's current X-Trans conversion. Many of them will not be immediately apparent in heavily downscaled images (in this case, less than a quarter of the original information is left). The linked site documents which version of Lightroom was used to process the images, and it's well known that that version suffers from said problems. Therefore, your conclusion that it does a "perfect job" is based on flawed assumptions.

Additionally, making assumptions about resolution based on heavily downscaled images with unknown post-processing applied will also result in flawed conclusions. Yet you've claimed the "sheer detail" is "amazing for a 16MP sensor". From 2400x1600 images, you simply can't tell if the sensor is 8, 16, or 200 megapixels.

You could quite easily post a link to images without making incorrect claims about them; then the thread would contain discussion of the images rather than corrections of your claims.

Zardoz
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Correct. Having the ability to gauge the quality of an image based on a 2400 wide example comes over time.

Just so I understand, you're saying that you've gained, over time, the ability to determine the resolution of the original sensor image from a heavily downscaled image?  Because you made a very specific claim about detail and 16MP.

Didn't you recently admit that you would have difficult telling an X-Trans image and a Bayer image apart?

A combination of experience, knowledge and your own abilities all help one to make an informed judgement on the quality of an image possible, even if it is slightly less than the full original size.

It's actually less than a quarter of the original size, so "slightly" is quite an understatement.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,007Gear list
Like?

I have also had excellent results using the X-Pro1 for long exposure night shots - locking the ISO at 200, and using the rear LCD for comp and AF works really well.

Both processed through ACR to CS6

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,152Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

I'm always interested in seeing real world examples of how cameras perform, especially the new X-Trans sensor equipped cams. For me real world results are what counts.

One area that really interests me is night photography. I mean, how capable is the Fujifilm X-E1 for night shooting?

I came across this image gallery by Mike Mander which shows pretty clearly what is possible with the X-E1.

Pretty amazing quality from a decent camera in the hands of a decent photographer.

Cheers

For all it's worth ...

Will throw in a couple of shots, taken on my very first day with the X-E1 and 18-55 zoom. Auckland harbour:

Crop:

Another one, higher contrast between lights on the towbridge and city:

.. and street café after dark:

Had them in another thread I think ... in case you hadn't seen them. I think the contrast for thsoe shots is pretty decent!

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
BillyInya
Like?

There is absolutely no need to start an epic argument/fight over it.

From where I stand those night shot images out of the Fuji X-E1 and processed through Light Room 4.3 look exceptional. And I should mention Adobe now claim 100% support for the Fuji X-Trans sensor. Seems to me those superb night images show Adobe to be truthful about what they say.

Now, stop with the pointless bickering and make a nice comment about those images, clearly they are extremely good. Use your eyes and why not say something nice about how good the Fujifim X-E1 in capable hands is at producing some superb night time imagery. Go on.

Cheers

BillyInya
Like?
In reply to deednets, Jan 28, 2013

deednets wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Cheers

For all it's worth ...

Will throw in a couple of shots, taken on my very first day with the X-E1 and 18-55 zoom. Auckland harbour:

Crop:

Another one, higher contrast between lights on the towbridge and city:

.. and street café after dark:

Had them in another thread I think ... in case you hadn't seen them. I think the contrast for thsoe shots is pretty decent!

Cheers

Deed

Excellent shots there Deed, and thank you for making a comment on topic!!

Cheers

BillyInya
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Jan 28, 2013

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I have also had excellent results using the X-Pro1 for long exposure night shots - locking the ISO at 200, and using the rear LCD for comp and AF works really well.

Both processed through ACR to CS6

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Nothing short of perfection from you and your X-Trans sensor camera Chris.

Beautiful shots. Well done.

Cheers.

Zardoz
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

There is absolutely no need to start an epic argument/fight over it.

There's not much epic about it.  But it doesn't seem like you want to address any of my points, or admit that you may have misspoken.

And I should mention Adobe now claim 100% support for the Fuji X-Trans sensor. Seems to me those superb night images show Adobe to be truthful about what they say.

Do you have a link to this claim?  Which version does it apply to?

Because, as I have already said, the issues are still present in the current version... and have been documented at length on this forum and others.

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Cheers

Such lovely pics!

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Charles C Lloyd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Those are very impressive.  I didn't see any mention of HDR processing but it would appear that there was some HDR applied, no?  Do you know if LightRoom supports HDR for this purpose?

Zardoz
Like?
In reply to Charles C Lloyd, Jan 28, 2013

Yes, there's some support in Lightroom 4 (since Process 2012 was added, IIRC).  There are different techniques available in many programs that are lumped under the name "HDR", so it may not do exactly the one you're expecting... but there is certainly support for some of what's known as "HDR".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads