Nice to finally see positive review of Oly 17mm 1.8 :)

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
Neil
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Nice to finally see positive review of Oly 17mm 1.8 :)
Jan 28, 2013

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/27/the-olympus-17-1-8-lens-review-on-the-e-m5-by-steve-huff/

I am still waiting for mine in the mail - hopefully lens will be delivered in a few days!

Cheers,

Neil

pinnacle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,434Gear list
Like?
Well...
In reply to Neil, Jan 28, 2013

It is looking a bit dicey for that lens right now. Early reviews have not been kind until the one linked in this thread.

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
glokenpop
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Here's another one
 glokenpop's gear list:glokenpop's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,476
Like?
Re: Well...
In reply to pinnacle, Jan 28, 2013

pinnacle wrote:

It is looking a bit dicey for that lens right now. Early reviews have not been kind until the one linked in this thread.

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

For wide angle fans, which I am not, I think it's future is quite bright. The fact that it is only extremely sharp rather than razor sharp wide open like the best Olympus primes, better than most any alternative on APS-C, is a minor issue compared to the great bokah and great AF.  Only wish Oly would start making more of their lenses splash proof.

Neil
Like?
Re: Here's another one
In reply to glokenpop, Jan 28, 2013

glokenpop wrote:

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/m4-3/olympus-m.zuiko-digital-17mm-f-1.8-lens

Yes, that's true - I saw that one earlier too and forgot about it, since buzz had been so predominantly negative

I personally love the 35mm equivalent FL, so it's a no-brainer that I'm looking forward to this one. I feel sad for Olympus that they seem to have dug themselves into a bit of a hole with all of the early bad press. That first LensTip review was really damning and unfortunate.

I actually have faith that Oly's new 17mm will quickly become my favorite lens and can't wait for it to be delivered.

Neil

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,002Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's another one

It is nice to be reading some reviews of the 17/1.8 now that it has been out for a while.  I have owned this lens since mid-December.  I do love this lens and find it very usefull.  It does seem to be sharp enough.  It is not as sharpe as the 75/1.8 but it is about equal to the 12/2.0 in sharpness.  Yes, I do wish it was 75/1.8 sharp and that it would come with a lens hood but it don't.  Still it is a pleasant lens to use and has a very good image quality.  I am pleased to own this lens and it is good to read reviews that match my experience with the lens.  Many thanks for posting the reviews.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice to finally see positive review of Oly 17mm 1.8 :)

Neil wrote:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/27/the-olympus-17-1-8-lens-review-on-the-e-m5-by-steve-huff/

I am still waiting for mine in the mail - hopefully lens will be delivered in a few days!

Cheers,

Neil

I picked it up a week ago and I've been very happy with it. The only reason it seems to be getting some negative reviews is that it's not the best 17mm that anyone could imagine and some feel it's priced a little high compared to the 20mm. It's smaller than I expected.

I haven't done any sharpness tests, but the sharpness looks fine on my monitor while working on the files. Prints at 8x10 look great, just like my 20mm I've used for years. I don't really print larger, but as I look at the screen I see no reason it wouldn't work fine.

The big bonuses over the 20mm at AF speed and zone focusing. I didn't have many problems with the 20mm in regards to AF, but the 17mm solves all of them. I wanted to do more zone focusing which is difficult with most m43s lenses. The 12mm was too wide and i didn't want to pay for the 17mm f0.95 or 25mm. This lens works out great. diglloyd commented the the focusing steps in MF mode aren't very fine, so it may not work well for close up work. (Use the normal camera enabled MF mode for that), but it's fine for prefocusing at f5.6 or f8 which is what I want it for.

I'm quite happy with it.

My only issue is that I used to use the 20mm/14mm combo on two bodies. The 17mm/14mm is too close, so I'm finding myself looking at the Panasonic 25mm and going 17mm/25mm.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,256
Like?
Steve Huff never met an m43 lens he didn't LOVE

Neil wrote:

Cheers,

Neil

Read all of his lens reviews. He LOVES every lens. Clearly not a neutral source of info.

To be fair to the 17mm f/1.8, Lenstip didn't "trash" the lens as other say, Lenstip just felt that it was overpriced. With the lens hood, it costs $570 (or something like that), while you can get a 25mm f/1.4 including lens hood that's a sharper lens for only $499. That's my impression of their spin.

Neil
Like?
Re: Steve Huff never met an m43 lens he didn't LOVE
In reply to sigala1, Jan 28, 2013

True enough! And I also agree that the 17mm is overpriced, but considering that the old 17mm 2.8 has been the fave FL for me since forever, I am willing to overlook the premium $, especially considering the nice build quality. This paired with my aging E-P2 is built like a tank. Far, far superior compared to my older and hopelessly fragile Canon Rebel

Neil
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Jan 28, 2013

Neil wrote:

Cheers,

Neil

I picked it up a week ago and I've been very happy with it. The only reason it seems to be getting some negative reviews is that it's not the best 17mm that anyone could imagine and some feel it's priced a little high compared to the 20mm. It's smaller than I expected.

I haven't done any sharpness tests, but the sharpness looks fine on my monitor while working on the files. Prints at 8x10 look great, just like my 20mm I've used for years. I don't really print larger, but as I look at the screen I see no reason it wouldn't work fine.

The big bonuses over the 20mm at AF speed and zone focusing. I didn't have many problems with the 20mm in regards to AF, but the 17mm solves all of them. I wanted to do more zone focusing which is difficult with most m43s lenses. The 12mm was too wide and i didn't want to pay for the 17mm f0.95 or 25mm. This lens works out great. diglloyd commented the the focusing steps in MF mode aren't very fine, so it may not work well for close up work. (Use the normal camera enabled MF mode for that), but it's fine for prefocusing at f5.6 or f8 which is what I want it for.

I'm quite happy with it.

My only issue is that I used to use the 20mm/14mm combo on two bodies. The 17mm/14mm is too close, so I'm finding myself looking at the Panasonic 25mm and going 17mm/25mm.

The 17mm paired with my Oly 45mm 1.8 is the perfect 2 lens combo.

Neil

glokenpop
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
17mm overpriced?

OK $500 dollars is $500 dollars and that is a lot of money. But lens are expensive what are people expecting? But the 20 1.7 is cheaper? Not when it came out it wasn't. The new Canon 35mm F2 is well over $800 and yes there are cheaper lenses but in the landscape of specialty lenses $500 is not expensive - particularly for a newly designed lens.

I think the only thing Olympus has done wrong is making the 45 and selling it too cheap. If anything they should have put that lens in the fancy metal form and this one in the cheaper plastic design.

As is people should be really happy that they can get the 45 for so little and the 17 for what is quite a reasonable price.

glokenpop's gear list:glokenpop's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
dav1dz
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?

Neil

I really like the 17/45 combo myself. Been carrying that since I got the 17 1.8.

enrique santa
Contributing MemberPosts: 676Gear list
Like?
well only lens tip review
In reply to pinnacle, Jan 28, 2013

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

make a disapointing review for this lens. And it was enought for many people. After a month with this lens I have to agree with the last review. Now the 17 1.8 is almost mounted in my cam 90% of the time and of course is an excellent lens.

enrique santa's gear list:enrique santa's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Neil
Like?
Re: 17mm overpriced?

glokenpop wrote:

OK $500 dollars is $500 dollars and that is a lot of money. But lens are expensive what are people expecting? But the 20 1.7 is cheaper? Not when it came out it wasn't. The new Canon 35mm F2 is well over $800 and yes there are cheaper lenses but in the landscape of specialty lenses $500 is not expensive - particularly for a newly designed lens.

I think the only thing Olympus has done wrong is making the 45 and selling it too cheap. If anything they should have put that lens in the fancy metal form and this one in the cheaper plastic design.

As is people should be really happy that they can get the 45 for so little and the 17 for what is quite a reasonable price.

Agreed. Oly's 45mm is basically perfection ... for cheap! That same level of frugal perfection was expected of the 17mm 1.8. But you are right, given its metal top-notch build quality $500 is actually quite reasonable.

If I'm being honest, it feels like Oly under-charged for their 45mm, and I don't know how they did it but I'm glad!

Neil

Marioly
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: well only lens tip review
In reply to enrique santa, Jan 28, 2013

17mm 1.8 is a great lens, sharp at all apertures, fast auto focus in low light conditions, creating high quality, beautiful bokeh. I love it  

Rol Lei Nut
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
In reply to dav1dz, Jan 28, 2013

dav1dz wrote:

Neil

I really like the 17/45 combo myself. Been carrying that since I got the 17 1.8.

When using film, 18/21mm + 35mm + 85/90mm has been the ideal 3 lens kit for me for a long time.

What's still missing is an excellent m43 9 or 10mm prime...

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,970Gear list
Like?

I would suspect the inclusion of the special manual focus set up would have a manufacturing cost and, of course, the thing /is/ new.

Big aperture wide angles have always been been pricey compared with standards and teles so there should be some disparity between the 45 and the 17. Mind you, Oly might have noted our collective "hey, here’s a bargain, I'll take half a dozen with cream, please" when the 45 came out and adjusted their pricing strategy a little.

Cream is /so/ dodgy on lenses! 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Actually most reviews have been positive

Only lenstip bashed the lens. I sense they were having a bad day and got carried away with their conclusions

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Mister H
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?

Neil wrote:

Cheers,

Neil

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - I really like mine. I loved my 20mm but the 17mm is an all round better lens in my opinion. I love the feeling of it, it's very sharp, it (with my OM-D) can see in the dark better than I can, and no banding! My 20mm often showed clear banding at ISO1600.

I seem to remember there was a relatively high profile negative review of the 12mm around the time it was launched, but judging by this forum (and other subsequent reviews) that opinion is in the minority. I'm guessing the 17mm is experiencing the same thing, and as more folks try the lens then the consensus will change in the same way.

-- hide signature --

I'm getting there...

Mister H's gear list:Mister H's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +15 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,256
Like?

glokenpop wrote:

OK $500 dollars is $500 dollars and that is a lot of money. But lens are expensive what are people expecting?

The 14-42mm IIR lens is only an extra $50 with the camera. That is sort of a base for expectations, isn't it?

The 17mm f/1.8 is about the same size, same number of elements, same number of aspheric elements, why does it cost ten times as much?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads