Sony NEX-3 any good?

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions
seppo123
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Sony NEX-3 any good?
Jan 27, 2013

Hi, so i'm a noob in photography. I recently bought a Canon 30D for learning to use DSLR. I was using the 30D with a 35-70mm EF lens, but sold the lens recently.

Now I was planning to buy a new lens for the 30D, the 40mm F2.8 since it would be quite ideal focal length for my shooting (Can't get wider within my budget.)

But then I came across a brand new Sony NEX-3 offer so if I sold what I currently have I could get the NEX and it's included 16mm/2.8 for 30£ cheaper than my 30D+40mm f2.8.

The NEX made me curious because it's small, and has video capability.

Which one do you think has better image quality?

Canon EOS 30D Sony Alpha NEX-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PDine
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-3 any good?
In reply to seppo123, Jan 28, 2013

I've borrowed a 30d in the past and now have a nex-c3. The nex has has a marginal edge in image quality from a high ISO noise point of view but its fairly negligible IMO. The Canon is a lot faster in operation and is built like a tank. The nex is a lot smaller and lighter. The af is way faster on the Canon, but more accurate on the nex for still subjects. The Canon wins hands down for tracking moving subjects. You might feel you'd lost as much as yous gained, unless video is that important to you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
In reply to seppo123, Jan 28, 2013

I still use my NEX 3.  I thing it still holds it's head up high.  Was thinking about getting a 5N, but the RX100 took the wind out of the sails for me on that.  Now I'm holding out for a cheap NEX 7.  If you don't look at specs and just at photos, the NEX 3 is a fine camera.  Note, that like all Sony cameras I've had of late.  That AR coating on the LCD will wear off sometime during the first year.  So don't be put off by that.  You can either let it wear off completely or replace it with optical glass for cheap.

lenshoarder
Like?
In reply to PDine, Jan 28, 2013

PDine wrote:

I've borrowed a 30d in the past and now have a nex-c3. The nex has has a marginal edge in image quality from a high ISO noise point of view but its fairly negligible IMO. The Canon is a lot faster in operation and is built like a tank. The nex is a lot smaller and lighter. The af is way faster on the Canon, but more accurate on the nex for still subjects. The Canon wins hands down for tracking moving subjects. You might feel you'd lost as much as yous gained, unless video is that important to you.

There's a solution to that.  The NEX can be just as fast if not faster than a 30D.  Get the LEA2 adapter.  That's the unspoken beauty of the NEX.  It's the only mirrorless that can be converted into a DSLR.  Small when you want it.  Bigger and just as fast as a DSLR when you dont.

kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, Jan 29, 2013

lenshoarder wrote:

There's a solution to that. The NEX can be just as fast if not faster than a 30D. Get the LEA2 adapter. That's the unspoken beauty of the NEX. It's the only mirrorless that can be converted into a DSLR. Small when you want it. Bigger and just as fast as a DSLR when you dont.

But then he would have to shell out nearly $300 for it.  Not to mention he'd also need to get another lens to go with it too, since you can't use the native Emount lens on it.

aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to kaku, Jan 29, 2013

There's a new NEX-3 coming out this year, so you might be able to pick up one of the newer versions of the 3 at a lower price..

kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to seppo123, Jan 29, 2013

well I bought one second handed just to convert it to IR...

You should be able to get sharper pictures than this though since IR makes the images softer

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,409Gear list
Like?

I've NEX-3. It has its pros, and cons. The former easily outweigh the latter IMO. The cons primarily include LCD driven menu and lack of EVF. It uses contrast detect AF system (without LA-EA2 adapter) which is okay for casual photography, just not for serious action.

Now the pros... it is as flexible a system as it gets. If you want video, it will do it. And unlike DSLRs, the LCD is something you can use, for video and stills. You can build a legacy lens lineup for fairly cheap. IMO, you should consider getting the 18-55 zoom lens since you may find just the 16mm prime limiting. But then, you can add a 24mm, and a 35-40mm lens for not much more either. Look into Konica 40mm f/1.8 if you want that focal length. The 16mm and the 40mm would give you a 24-60mm equivalent.

NEX-3 is very capable body. Here, working with a $50 Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 (Konica AR mount):

Vivitar Series I 70-210mm f/2.8-4 (Konica AR mount)

$40 Soligor 24mm f/2.8 (Minolta MD mount)

Soligor 24mm f/2.8 (Minolta MD mount)

High ISO sample...

ISO 1250

Here's a high ISO with Hand Held Twilight Mode (non-stabilized telephoto lens in dark, 200mm f/2.8, so the camera wanted 1/320s and selected ISO 6400):

ISO 6400

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
seppo123
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Jan 29, 2013

Thanks for the answers! (And sample pictures!) I've done some research myself too, and it seems that it's quite capable camera.. The fact that the Sony can even outperform the big 30D in IQ is very impressive. Autofocus speed is not a concern for me, i'm not going to shoot moving subjects.

I don't see much reason for myself to keep the 30D, although I love the sturdy feel of the body, and nice manual controls.. But it's so big to carry around.

I've also read that you can use adapter to mount FD lenses on the NEX. Lenses like FD 50mm or 28mm etc. go just below 50$ on ebay.

I think i'll put my 30D for sale, and try to get some money out of it. If I don't, well then i'll just keep it and get better lens to go with it.

lenshoarder
Like?

If you can find a Sears with the C3 still in stock, it should be $201.74.  My local Sears sold it's last one 2 weeks ago.

boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?

seppo123 wrote:

I've also read that you can use adapter to mount FD lenses on the NEX. Lenses like FD 50mm or 28mm etc. go just below 50$ on ebay.

You certainly can - FD or any other SLR lens. On my old NEX-5 I use FDn 50/1.4:

FDn 35/2:

Also FDn 100/2.8 & 28/2.8, Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4, Olympus OM 50/1.8 and 28/3.5... most were around $50-100 and great value. There's a world of great "legacy" lenses out there if you get hooked on manual focus!

-- hide signature --
macsoft3
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to boardsy, Jan 29, 2013

NEX 3 does not shot FULL HD videos, only HD. If video is important this is probably a no-no

seppo123
Like?
In reply to macsoft3, Feb 1, 2013

Just sent an offer to my local shop how much I had to pay if I exchanged my 30D for the NEX. (I'm not in US btw, so can't buy it from sears)

Also tested it out the other day.. Kind of feeling confused about it. The menus etc. seem really slow and laggy, the body feels quite fragile too. But I think the size and IQ is most important, and these the NEX does well.

aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to seppo123, Feb 1, 2013

seppo123 wrote:

Just sent an offer to my local shop how much I had to pay if I exchanged my 30D for the NEX. (I'm not in US btw, so can't buy it from sears)

Also tested it out the other day.. Kind of feeling confused about it. The menus etc. seem really slow and laggy, the body feels quite fragile too. But I think the size and IQ is most important, and these the NEX does well.

You will have to check if it has the latest firmware or not... I'm not sure if the original NEX-3 had their firmware all updated from the factory (in later versions) or if you have to do that manually. The menu system wasn't perfect but after the firmware but it at least gave a bit more functionality to quickly switch ISO, AWB, DRO/HDR

bobmandwendyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
In reply to aap292, Feb 1, 2013

aap292 wrote:

seppo123 wrote:

You will have to check if it has the latest firmware or not... I'm not sure if the original NEX-3 had their firmware all updated from the factory (in later versions) or if you have to do that manually. The menu system wasn't perfect but after the firmware but it at least gave a bit more functionality to quickly switch ISO, AWB, DRO/HDR

You want to check that it has body version 05.  This will give you access to the LA-EA2 adapter requirements as well as the previous upgrades.  You at least want version 04.  Check setup>version.

You either get used to the menus or you get another camera.  I just got a Nex5R, so I'm obviously a glutton for punishment.......or just plain thick.

Incidentally I have never heard the body called "fragile" before........mine is built like a tank........a very small tank........

Good luck,

Bob

Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864
Like?
In reply to seppo123, Feb 2, 2013

seppo123 wrote:

Just so we're clear, is it a NEX-3, C3 or F3 that you are planning to buy? Thanks.

iGirl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562
Like?
In reply to Helen, Feb 2, 2013

Helen wrote:

seppo123 wrote:

Just so we're clear, is it a NEX-3, C3 or F3 that you are planning to buy? Thanks.

F3 being the most current/best offering I believe?  - And today is the last day you can get a free 16mm lens when buying the F3K (kit).

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,896
Like?
In reply to seppo123, Feb 2, 2013

The original 3 was the first, non-point and shoot camera I have owned and I enjoyed it completely.

Since the original models, Sony has updated their cameras several times, adding new and better features. 5N, F3, 6 and 7 are just a few. Each has additional features that, depending on your skill set/needs might be worth looking at.

I upgraded to the F3 for the built in flash, but other than that I was very satisfied with my 3.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

dtrph
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
In reply to davect01, Feb 2, 2013

I shoot mostly with my a65 SLT but I carry my old NEX3 everywhere with the sigma 30mm.  The NEX

provides a lot of convenience due to size while not compromising too much in quality.  These were taken last summer on a rainy day at South Beach.  Didn't want to risk the a65 to the rain and was also on a bicycle perfect for the NEX3.

-- hide signature --

dancph

dtrph's gear list:dtrph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A65 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
seppo123
Like?
In reply to Helen, Feb 2, 2013

Helen wrote:

seppo123 wrote:

The NEX I tried was the newest F3 with the upgraded grip etc.

The one i'm considering to buy (and most likely will) is 14mp version (oldest I guess?) NEX-3.

I'm not considering the LEA-2 adapter because it's too expensive for me, i'm only casual shooter with a low budget. Looking for a beginner camera only..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads