Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions
gtravis
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread
Jan 27, 2013

Got my GH3 last Friday.  Thought I would post some initial impressions given that I've had an OM-D E-M5 since early December and have a pretty long history of owning m4/3rds cameras.

The first thing that struck me is "This thing is big."  I mean, really big.  Much bigger than any other m4/5ths camera I've owned (G1, GH2, OM-D).  Especially with the optional Panasonic battery holder / grip (which I have) and the 12-35mm lens (which I have).

The second thing is "This thing is solid."  MUCH more solid than the GH2.  On a par with the OM-D, although significantly heavier in the hand and more robust feeling.

The third thing is "The menus are so much more initiative, logical, and simpler than the OM-D."

The fourth thing is "This thing is FAST.  Very similar to the GH2 in that regard but even faster.  Power-on is instantaneous.  Shutter response is immediate."

The fifth thing is, the EVF is significantly improved over the GH2s.  Much crisper, detailed, etc.  Mine doesn't seem to suffer from some of the criticisms I've seen here although the corners get "fuzzy" if you don't have your eye in the eyepiece fully.

Finally, I am loving the plethora of LABELLED buttons on the camera, particularly the buttons for ISO, focus, and WB.

Qualitatively, I don't see a difference between the OM-D and the GH3.  They are really two different cameras for two different kinds of activity.  The GH3 is pretty industrially-ugly (i.e. looks like a professional DSLR throughout) and the OM-D is (in my opinion) a stunning looker.

The GH3 is hopelessly un-pocketable.  It suffers from the same thing that DSLRs do -- when you are carrying it, you are carrying it.  And it is conspicuous.  The OM-D, particularly with a good pancake lens like the Panasonic 20mm, will actually fit in one of my pants pockets (barely).  It is much less conspicuous in the hand and thus a better candidate for street photography, for parties and social events (where is would match you in a suit, etc.).  The GH3 is a camera for when you have a "job" to do.

I have been pleasantly pleased with the quality of the JPEGs out of the GH3.  I was not that wild about the GH2s JPEGS and didn't expect the GH3's JPEGs to equal the OM-D's and they don't.  But they are closer than I expected.  The increase in dynamic range between the GH3 and the GH2 is pretty damned clear.

I have not had a chance to do any kind of quantitative comparison between the GH3 images and OM-D but it looks like both cameras can, with the same lens, produce essentially identical pictures, particularly via the RAW route.  That is not surprising.

The GH3's high ISO (12,000+) performance appears to be significantly better than the OM-Ds but there may be a variable that I am not controlling for -- I did not expect them to be that different.  The OM-D is definitely a better high-ISO machine than the GH2 but the GH3 is really something.

In sum:

1.  Picture quality, at least at reasonable ISOs (3200 and below), appears to be nearly identical between the cameras.

2.  The "look and feel" of the cameras is totally different.  So much so that they have very little overlap (in my opinion) in "mission."  If I was asked by a friend to document their wedding or other significant event, I'd take the GH3.  If I was going to a party, an awards ceremony, or doing some walkabout street photography, it would be the OM-D.

3.  The range of external controls on the GH3 is much more (and much better) than the OM-D.

4.  The firmware in the GH3 & processing power is much better than the OM-D -- at least from a user interface point of view.

5.  The GH3 can easily be confused with a professional DSLR in both form and function.  That is what it is, in fact, a professional DSLR.

6.  The OM-D is going the other direction, more walkabout rangefinder a-la Leica M series.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,398
Like?
Re: Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread
In reply to gtravis, Jan 27, 2013

Thanks for the write up.  I don't have an OM-D (have GH2 and GH3), but from all I've seen and read you did a good job summarizing some of the differences in style and function.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,215Gear list
Like?

Good Summary.

Any thing to comment about video?

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
gtravis
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
In reply to Jun2, Jan 27, 2013

Jun2 wrote:

Good Summary.

Any thing to comment about video?

I haven't done any video and probably am not qualified to comment -- I am almost exclusively a still photographer.

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,118Gear list
Like?

gtravis wrote:

Got my GH3 last Friday. Thought I would post some initial impressions given that I've had an OM-D E-M5 since early December and have a pretty long history of owning m4/3rds cameras.

The first thing that struck me is "This thing is big." I mean, really big. Much bigger than any other m4/5ths camera I've owned (G1, GH2, OM-D). Especially with the optional Panasonic battery holder / grip (which I have) and the 12-35mm lens (which I have).

The second thing is "This thing is solid." MUCH more solid than the GH2. On a par with the OM-D, although significantly heavier in the hand and more robust feeling.

The third thing is "The menus are so much more initiative, logical, and simpler than the OM-D."

This is a point which I have sometimes seen mentioned before. However, In spite of repeatedly asking those who make such claims, I have never got an answer that manages to specify exactly what is "more intuitive, logical, and simpler" about the menu system on the GH3 (or other Panasonics) than on the E-M5. Of course, the E-M5 has a large number of menu settings. So, however, I would guess, has the GH3. So precisely what is so much better about the GH3 menus?

Personally, I haven't found a whole lot to complain about as far as the E-M5 menus are concerned, in spite of coming from a Panasonic G1. Apparently, the same is true about DPR. Here's what they have to say about the matter in their review of the E-M5:

"The menus are about as logically laid-out as they can be, given how many options and settings they contain. To get the most out of the E-M5, it's well-worth scanning through the options in the Settings menu, on the next page of this review. There you'll find options to customize almost every aspect of the camera's behavior, including changing button functions, control interfaces and display options."

Source:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/9

The fourth thing is "This thing is FAST. Very similar to the GH2 in that regard but even faster. Power-on is instantaneous. Shutter response is immediate."

The fifth thing is, the EVF is significantly improved over the GH2s. Much crisper, detailed, etc. Mine doesn't seem to suffer from some of the criticisms I've seen here although the corners get "fuzzy" if you don't have your eye in the eyepiece fully.

Finally, I am loving the plethora of LABELLED buttons on the camera, particularly the buttons for ISO, focus, and WB.

Qualitatively, I don't see a difference between the OM-D and the GH3. They are really two different cameras for two different kinds of activity. The GH3 is pretty industrially-ugly (i.e. looks like a professional DSLR throughout) and the OM-D is (in my opinion) a stunning looker.

The GH3 is hopelessly un-pocketable. It suffers from the same thing that DSLRs do -- when you are carrying it, you are carrying it. And it is conspicuous. The OM-D, particularly with a good pancake lens like the Panasonic 20mm, will actually fit in one of my pants pockets (barely). It is much less conspicuous in the hand and thus a better candidate for street photography, for parties and social events (where is would match you in a suit, etc.). The GH3 is a camera for when you have a "job" to do.

I have been pleasantly pleased with the quality of the JPEGs out of the GH3. I was not that wild about the GH2s JPEGS and didn't expect the GH3's JPEGs to equal the OM-D's and they don't. But they are closer than I expected. The increase in dynamic range between the GH3 and the GH2 is pretty damned clear.

I have not had a chance to do any kind of quantitative comparison between the GH3 images and OM-D but it looks like both cameras can, with the same lens, produce essentially identical pictures, particularly via the RAW route. That is not surprising.

The GH3's high ISO (12,000+) performance appears to be significantly better than the OM-Ds but there may be a variable that I am not controlling for -- I did not expect them to be that different. The OM-D is definitely a better high-ISO machine than the GH2 but the GH3 is really something.

In sum:

1. Picture quality, at least at reasonable ISOs (3200 and below), appears to be nearly identical between the cameras.

2. The "look and feel" of the cameras is totally different. So much so that they have very little overlap (in my opinion) in "mission." If I was asked by a friend to document their wedding or other significant event, I'd take the GH3. If I was going to a party, an awards ceremony, or doing some walkabout street photography, it would be the OM-D.

3. The range of external controls on the GH3 is much more (and much better) than the OM-D.

4. The firmware in the GH3 & processing power is much better than the OM-D -- at least from a user interface point of view.

5. The GH3 can easily be confused with a professional DSLR in both form and function. That is what it is, in fact, a professional DSLR.

6. The OM-D is going the other direction, more walkabout rangefinder a-la Leica M series.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?

Good stuff. Seems a very balanced and well written comparison that confirms my suspicion about the sort of apples to oranges nature of these two very nice cameras. It'll be interesting to learn more about the very high ISO performance of the GH3, although I'm never up that high.

I'm enjoying the walkabout nature of my EM5, but am glad to see another serious contender aimed at a  different niche join the M43 lineup. A very positive development for all fans of the M43 format!

Thanks!

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
mujana
Senior MemberPosts: 2,949Gear list
Like?
Agree with Tex
In reply to texinwien, Jan 27, 2013

texinwien wrote:

Good stuff. Seems a very balanced and well written comparison that confirms my suspicion about the sort of apples to oranges nature of these two very nice cameras. It'll be interesting to learn more about the very high ISO performance of the GH3, although I'm never up that high.

I'm enjoying the walkabout nature of my EM5, but am glad to see another serious contender aimed at a different niche join the M43 lineup. A very positive development for all fans of the M43 format!

Thanks!

tex

Thnxs for posting this comparision!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
acahaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008
Like?
Re: +1 (nt)
In reply to mujana, Jan 27, 2013
-- hide signature --

RSColo
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Jan 27, 2013

I almost got an OM-D, but there were two issues I couldn't live with. One of them was a "menu" thing. I do a lot of HDR photography and I need to frequently change the bracketing settings (none-3-5-7 shots). The OM-D put the bracketing settings deep down in the menu and that was one of the few settings they didn't allow on any of the function buttons. The GH cameras provide much easier access to the settings and the GH3 allows it to be on any of the function buttons. This issue may well get solved in a future firmware release. But the second issue was the lack of a fully reticulating rear screen. I take many of my photos on the tripod in a potrait orientation (gimbol mode). For this I need a screen that swings down in the portrait mode.

I currently have a GH1 and I have a GH3 on order. I am convinced that the OM-D and GH3 have much the same image quality. I came from an SLR and 4x5 world, so the size and weight of the GH3 seem OK to me. But I can certainly understand where that would be as important to some people as my two issues were to me. I am far from a Panasonic biggot. One of my two most used lenses is my highly appreciated four-thirds Oly 50-200mm. The other most used lens is my Pan-Leica 25mm. The main reason I switched a few years back to m43 was the fact that it was, and is, the only format that has a relatively open format with many participants competing, including two high quality major players. I think we all benefit from this healthy competition. Even the highly vocal Oly and Pan biggots on this forum have better products because "their" company has to compete with the other "bad" company.

-- hide signature --

Reid Shay
www.sawatchpub.com

RSColo's gear list:RSColo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to RSColo, Jan 27, 2013

RSColo wrote:

I almost got an OM-D, but there were two issues I couldn't live with. One of them was a "menu" thing. I do a lot of HDR photography and I need to frequently change the bracketing settings (none-3-5-7 shots). The OM-D put the bracketing settings deep down in the menu and that was one of the few settings they didn't allow on any of the function buttons. The GH cameras provide much easier access to the settings and the GH3 allows it to be on any of the function buttons. This issue may well get solved in a future firmware release.

As far as I can see, bracketing settings are in the "Rec" menu on the GH3 and in "Shooting menu 2" (the second topmost menu) on the E-M5. What's the difference in terms of menu "depth"?

You can have bracketing via a button on the E-M5 too by assigning it to a "myset" (custom configuration). This solution is slightly inconvenient at this time since you have to keep the button pressed to access a myset but it works reasonably well if you use the right button (Fn1, which you can hold with your thumb). On the other hand, there is no risk that you accidentally leave bracketing on. On the E-PM2 and E-PL5, you can use mysets via the mode dial and hopefully a similar solution will be made available on the E-M5 too via a FW update.

At any rate, this particular issue (availability of bracketing via a button) is not really a matter of the overall logic or simplicity of the menu system, is it?

But the second issue was the lack of a fully reticulating rear screen. I take many of my photos on the tripod in a potrait orientation (gimbol mode). For this I need a screen that swings down in the portrait mode.

Yes, in that particular case, a fully articulating screen is preferable. On the other hand, there are also situations where you are better off with the tilting screen of the E-M5. We had a discussion about that here (see the post to which I link and others below in the same subthread).

I currently have a GH1 and I have a GH3 on order. I am convinced that the OM-D and GH3 have much the same image quality. I came from an SLR and 4x5 world, so the size and weight of the GH3 seem OK to me. But I can certainly understand where that would be as important to some people as my two issues were to me. I am far from a Panasonic biggot. One of my two most used lenses is my highly appreciated four-thirds Oly 50-200mm. The other most used lens is my Pan-Leica 25mm. The main reason I switched a few years back to m43 was the fact that it was, and is, the only format that has a relatively open format with many participants competing, including two high quality major players. I think we all benefit from this healthy competition. Even the highly vocal Oly and Pan biggots on this forum have better products because "their" company has to compete with the other "bad" company.

-- hide signature --

Reid Shay
www.sawatchpub.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,476Gear list
Like?

gtravis wrote:

Got my GH3 last Friday. Thought I would post some initial impressions given that I've had an OM-D E-M5 since early December and have a pretty long history of owning m4/3rds cameras.

The first thing that struck me is "This thing is big." I mean, really big. Much bigger than any other m4/5ths camera I've owned (G1, GH2, OM-D). Especially with the optional Panasonic battery holder / grip (which I have) and the 12-35mm lens (which I have).

The second thing is "This thing is solid." MUCH more solid than the GH2. On a par with the OM-D, although significantly heavier in the hand and more robust feeling.

The fourth thing is "This thing is FAST. Very similar to the GH2 in that regard but even faster. Power-on is instantaneous. Shutter response is immediate."

The fifth thing is, the EVF is significantly improved over the GH2s. Much crisper, detailed, etc. Mine doesn't seem to suffer from some of the criticisms I've seen here although the corners get "fuzzy" if you don't have your eye in the eyepiece fully.

Qualitatively, I don't see a difference between the OM-D and the GH3. They are really two different cameras for two different kinds of activity. The GH3 is pretty industrially-ugly (i.e. looks like a professional DSLR throughout) and the OM-D is (in my opinion) a stunning looker.

The GH3 is hopelessly un-pocketable. It suffers from the same thing that DSLRs do -- when you are carrying it, you are carrying it. And it is conspicuous. The OM-D, particularly with a good pancake lens like the Panasonic 20mm, will actually fit in one of my pants pockets (barely). It is much less conspicuous in the hand and thus a better candidate for street photography, for parties and social events (where is would match you in a suit, etc.). The GH3 is a camera for when you have a "job" to do.

I have been pleasantly pleased with the quality of the JPEGs out of the GH3. I was not that wild about the GH2s JPEGS and didn't expect the GH3's JPEGs to equal the OM-D's and they don't. But they are closer than I expected. The increase in dynamic range between the GH3 and the GH2 is pretty damned clear.

I have not had a chance to do any kind of quantitative comparison between the GH3 images and OM-D but it looks like both cameras can, with the same lens, produce essentially identical pictures, particularly via the RAW route. That is not surprising.

The GH3's high ISO (12,000+) performance appears to be significantly better than the OM-Ds but there may be a variable that I am not controlling for -- I did not expect them to be that different. The OM-D is definitely a better high-ISO machine than the GH2 but the GH3 is really something.

In sum:

1. Picture quality, at least at reasonable ISOs (3200 and below), appears to be nearly identical between the cameras.

2. The "look and feel" of the cameras is totally different. So much so that they have very little overlap (in my opinion) in "mission." If I was asked by a friend to document their wedding or other significant event, I'd take the GH3. If I was going to a party, an awards ceremony, or doing some walkabout street photography, it would be the OM-D.

3. The range of external controls on the GH3 is much more (and much better) than the OM-D.

4. The firmware in the GH3 & processing power is much better than the OM-D -- at least from a user interface point of view.

5. The GH3 can easily be confused with a professional DSLR in both form and function. That is what it is, in fact, a professional DSLR.

6. The OM-D is going the other direction, more walkabout rangefinder a-la Leica M series.

I agree on almost all, I have tried both cameras, and indeed I am wanting to have both exactly for the differences between those cameras. To me both are great. IQ is similar if not equal (in RAW).

If I need to choose only one I go for the GH3.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,476Gear list
Like?

Anders W wrote:

gtravis wrote:

This is a point which I have sometimes seen mentioned before. However, In spite of repeatedly asking those who make such claims, I have never got an answer that manages to specify exactly what is "more intuitive, logical, and simpler" about the menu system on the GH3 (or other Panasonics) than on the E-M5. Of course, the E-M5 has a large number of menu settings. So, however, I would guess, has the GH3. So precisely what is so much better about the GH3 menus?

At first after trying both cameras, I liked better the ease of the interface on the GH3, but then I thought that is a matter of learn a bit and get used to the OMD interface.

I really like both cameras. Now the ease of the interface is not a point to me. The only pro I see now on the GH3 compared to the OMD are the 7 Fn buttons. This speaking only on the ease of use.

Personally, I haven't found a whole lot to complain about as far as the E-M5 menus are concerned, in spite of coming from a Panasonic G1. Apparently, the same is true about DPR. Here's what they have to say about the matter in their review of the E-M5:

"The menus are about as logically laid-out as they can be, given how many options and settings they contain. To get the most out of the E-M5, it's well-worth scanning through the options in the Settings menu, on the next page of this review. There you'll find options to customize almost every aspect of the camera's behavior, including changing button functions, control interfaces and display options."

Source:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/9

In sum:

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,931
Like?
Unfortunately...

Great comparison, BTW. Unfortunately neither is a C-AF demon. Still waiting.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

bugbait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001Gear list
Like?

GTravis and anyone else that has both cameras,

How do you feel about color rendition. I am a RAW shooter, not video, that currently do not have access to either of these cameras. I have seen many E-M5 images that made me sit back and think this is immersing, complex in color and less digital looking. Be it flesh tones of various ethnicity or varied foliage and flower colors. So far I have seen only a couple such images with the GH3.

Canon had the strength there but the OM-D E-M5 seems to have surpassed them. I would prefer the controls of the GH3, but the end result is what matters most to me.

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,236Gear list
Like?

Thanks for this comparison. Am looking forward to the expected Panasonic walk-around camera (GX2 or GXpro?) with the G3 sensor when it arrives to see how it compares to the EM5 in that role.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,377Gear list
Like?
Excellent

Explains rather well and it just gets better IMO. I'm not into pretty, it doesn't matter how cute a camera is when what you have on the front as far as lenses go, is already ugly and huge anyway. The solid feel is whats needed here and size doesn't come into. I see a few nature shooters are going for the GH3 in here as well and thats a good sign IMO. I think there will be a lot more. Might add a GH3 yet.

All the best and thanks for this thread, very interesting and informative. Love write ups like this from people that know and have both. Simply brilliant.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Nikcan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295Gear list
Like?
In reply to bugbait, Jan 27, 2013

Horse for courses, both great cameras in there own right.

We are all different so why not different cameras, take your pick.

Go in peace and enjoy photography

Thanks to the OP for his extensive review.

Best Regards Mike.
http://michaelgoodes.blogspot.com/
http://ekim.zenfolio.com
'Live every day as if it was your last, one day it will be'.

Nikcan's gear list:Nikcan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Jerodequin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?

Anders W wrote:

gtravis wrote:

Why do I like the colour blue and my friend likes the colour red? Why do I like driving one model of car, but my friend likes to drive a different one?

Not everything can be broken down into a quantitative value, especially something personal like menu layout (although of course there are qualities that are generally held to make a menu system user friendly).

I love my EPL3 (which I use when I want something small vs. my GH2), but I really don't like the menu system. I guess I could sit down and list all the things I find odd and non intuitive, but why bother? I know many people like the way the menus work, so it's obviously just personal difference of opinion.

Jerodequin's gear list:Jerodequin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Jerodequin, Jan 27, 2013

Jerodequin wrote:

Anders W wrote:

gtravis wrote:

Why do I like the colour blue and my friend likes the colour red? Why do I like driving one model of car, but my friend likes to drive a different one?

That's not the point. If someone says that one menu system is "more intuitive, logical, and simple", I suppose they have some idea of what they have in mind. I just asked what that something is.

Not everything can be broken down into a quantitative value, especially something personal like menu layout (although of course there are qualities that are generally held to make a menu system user friendly).

I didn't ask for a quantitative value. I just asked for a description of what the OP has in mind when he/she says the one menu system is "more intuitive, logical, and simple" than the other.

I love my EPL3 (which I use when I want something small vs. my GH2), but I really don't like the menu system. I guess I could sit down and list all the things I find odd and non intuitive, but why bother? I know many people like the way the menus work, so it's obviously just personal difference of opinion.

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,105Gear list
Like?

gtravis wrote:

In sum:

Nice summary, but I'd like to know why you think GH3 would produce superior photos at a wedding or other significant event.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads