Nikon 14-24 filter systems

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions
dewu
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Nikon 14-24 filter systems
Jan 27, 2013

Hello guys and gals. I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the filter systems on the market for the 14-24? Ive been debating on the Wonderpana vs the Lee system. Also for the ones that have either of these products would it be worth even considering a polarizer for this lens due to the extreme wide angle? An ND filter would definitely be of some benefit for me but Im unsure of the CPL. Thank you

rcower
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
Re: Nikon 14-24 filter systems
In reply to dewu, Jan 27, 2013

I've got the Wonderpana setup from Fotodiox, with their CPL, a couple of the circular ND filters, bracket upgrade and one of their 6x8 GND filters. I'm very pleased with it. Don't know if you've found this, but here is a quick review discussing it.

http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2012/10/fotodiox-filter-for-the-14-24

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dewu
Like?
In reply to rcower, Jan 27, 2013

rcower wrote:

I've got the Wonderpana setup from Fotodiox, with their CPL, a couple of the circular ND filters, bracket upgrade and one of their 6x8 GND filters. I'm very pleased with it. Don't know if you've found this, but here is a quick review discussing it.

Thanks a lot for that link. Do you have any problems using the polarizer due to the super wide angle?

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,298Gear list
Like?
Forget CPL for skies!

Way too wide a field of view when the sky is included. ND would be fine. I sold my 14-24 . . . got tired of dealing with the flare problem. A CPL might even add to it. (2 more surfaces)

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,619Gear list
Like?

I use 14-24 quite a bit although I don't use it much for landscapes, I suppose I should. I tend to do panos with the 24-70 or similar.

One thing I have found with the D800E the need for filters is far less than it used to be as the DR of the camera is so good I am not sure what good a filter would do except perhaps cause problems, reduce image quality?

What effect are you hoping to achieve with filters that cannot be done with a good exposure or use HDR in camera settings etc?

I have taken to removing all filters from my shots these days as I did not see any gain from them with D800E plus they actually cause issues when doing panoramas.

Greg.

dewu
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Jan 28, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I use 14-24 quite a bit although I don't use it much for landscapes, I suppose I should. I tend to do panos with the 24-70 or similar.

One thing I have found with the D800E the need for filters is far less than it used to be as the DR of the camera is so good I am not sure what good a filter would do except perhaps cause problems, reduce image quality?

What effect are you hoping to achieve with filters that cannot be done with a good exposure or use HDR in camera settings etc?

I have taken to removing all filters from my shots these days as I did not see any gain from them with D800E plus they actually cause issues when doing panoramas.

Greg.

I just purchased the D800 from Adorama. The instant rebate along with free bundled products was too hard to pass up.

I exposure blend majority of the shots I take these days. Saying that I dont use Grad ND filters, but would like to incorporate an ND filter to slow shutters speeds for water. Polarizer filters are beneficial but I dont see how they could be for this lens. I almost want to rig up something homemade that would cover the gaps if I were to hold an ND filter in front of the lens. With the built in lens hood Id be afraid glare would be a factor if I were to hold an ND filter in front of it with out some sort of housing.

rcower
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
In reply to dewu, Jan 29, 2013

dewu wrote:

rcower wrote:

Thanks a lot for that link. Do you have any problems using the polarizer due to the super wide angle?

not yet, ive used it a few times.

PaulBearer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,482Gear list
Like?
Lee SW 150 kit arrived last week.....

Very hard to find Lee products, and took quite awhile to get the 14-24 kit.  Have not had time to use it.

Very large, well designed product - clever and seems very well thought out.  I expect to use it for panoramas at sunrise or sunset with graduated neutral density filter, or water with an ND [which I don't yet have].  I love the lens, and wanted an excuse to use it on trips for everything.  Did I say very large?  It's not something you would want to try to slip into a pocket - I plan to always have a bag of some sort to carry its parts.

If the sun is behind you when you use it, there are screens to keep light reflecting off the filter and into the lens, as there is automatically air space between the front of the lens and the filter.  Next step is to get the adapter ring so I can use it on other lenses and avoid carrying my singh-ray filter when I intend to use the 14-24 much of the trip.

Lee doesn't offer a polarizing filter, and I doubt it would work well with a very wide lens.  I use one on a 24-70 and it too frequently fails at the widest angle who shooting skies.  I don't plan on getting one.  It comes with an adapter to the holder so you can use more than one ND filter for really long exposures.

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,072Gear list
Like?

dewu wrote:

Hello guys and gals. I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the filter systems on the market for the 14-24? Ive been debating on the Wonderpana vs the Lee system. Also for the ones that have either of these products would it be worth even considering a polarizer for this lens due to the extreme wide angle? An ND filter would definitely be of some benefit for me but Im unsure of the CPL. Thank you

I have the Lee system and it is excellent, well engineered and works well. However, it is pricey and it is heavy. At the moment, I only have the 2 stop hard edged ND grad, but I want to get a 3 stop hard edge and a 2 & 3 stop soft edge version as well as the big stopper.

I haven't got a polariser for this system due to the extreme wide angle to very wide angle nature which would cause issues with the sky. However, polarisers are great for reducing reflections from leaves etc which do cause issue so, used judiciously you might get away with it.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
dewu
Like?
In reply to dewu, Jan 30, 2013

Thank you all for the info. I can only imagine the size once mounted on the lens. Not to mention the additional weight on top of an already heavy lens. I too have trouble using a polarizer on the bottom end of the zoom range for the 24-70. Mainly in sky shots. Im going to research more on the Lee system as opposed to the wonderpana. Im still not going to throw out the idea of making a housing that would slide onto the lens while I hand hold an ND filter in front while taking the shot. Anything that would block light coming in from the front side of the filter would work for this. Ill keep you all updated if I decide to rig up something.

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,834
Like?

dewu wrote:

Here is a old discussion on the similar topic

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50396501

jahern
Contributing MemberPosts: 953
Like?

I recently picked up the Lee SW150 kit for the 14-24mm, in the past I had a full Lee 100mm kit when I had Canon gear.

As already mentioned the SW150 is well made and up to the normal standards for Lee. The latest kit come with baffels that clip on holder to stop the problem with light bouncing back from the filter into the lens when shooting with the sun behind.

Lee provide a soft lens cap that can go on the 14-24 when the adapter collar is attached. I also picked up the adapter ring so that I could use the SW150 on other lenses such as the 24-70 and 70-200, I have the Lee white caps that clip onto the adapter rings that are on the 24-70 and 70-200.

I like to use the Lowepor street and field system for carrying the gear around when doing landscape stuff, makes it easy to get at lenses and filters without having to take a bag off my back, very useful if in or around water or any other situation where putting the the bag down could cause problems. The old utility bag I had that was fine for carrying around the 100mm kit is a bit too small for the new SW150 filters, I ordered the new Lowepro 100 AW utility bag and the filters in their soft cases fit in that bag fine.

I've only had a chance to test the gear by shooting out the bag door!, but D800 with 14-24mm and the Lee SW150 is an amazing bit of kit, there are no excuses and well beyond my needs

I went down the road with SW150 as I bought the 14-24mm when I moved to Nikon as the 16-35 had not been released (I do weddings as well so the f/2.8 is useful). I think if I had the chance again I would have gone with the 16-35 and held onto my 100mm kit, would have been able to continue using the polarizer and also add the big stopper to the kit and saved quiet a bit of cash. But as mentioned before I really can't have any complaints about ending up with the kit I have, looking forward to getting out soon with it

dewu
Like?
In reply to jahern, Feb 1, 2013

jahern wrote:

I recently picked up the Lee SW150 kit for the 14-24mm, in the past I had a full Lee 100mm kit when I had Canon gear.

As already mentioned the SW150 is well made and up to the normal standards for Lee. The latest kit come with baffels that clip on holder to stop the problem with light bouncing back from the filter into the lens when shooting with the sun behind.

Lee provide a soft lens cap that can go on the 14-24 when the adapter collar is attached. I also picked up the adapter ring so that I could use the SW150 on other lenses such as the 24-70 and 70-200, I have the Lee white caps that clip onto the adapter rings that are on the 24-70 and 70-200.

I like to use the Lowepor street and field system for carrying the gear around when doing landscape stuff, makes it easy to get at lenses and filters without having to take a bag off my back, very useful if in or around water or any other situation where putting the the bag down could cause problems. The old utility bag I had that was fine for carrying around the 100mm kit is a bit too small for the new SW150 filters, I ordered the new Lowepro 100 AW utility bag and the filters in their soft cases fit in that bag fine.

I've only had a chance to test the gear by shooting out the bag door!, but D800 with 14-24mm and the Lee SW150 is an amazing bit of kit, there are no excuses and well beyond my needs

I went down the road with SW150 as I bought the 14-24mm when I moved to Nikon as the 16-35 had not been released (I do weddings as well so the f/2.8 is useful). I think if I had the chance again I would have gone with the 16-35 and held onto my 100mm kit, would have been able to continue using the polarizer and also add the big stopper to the kit and saved quiet a bit of cash. But as mentioned before I really can't have any complaints about ending up with the kit I have, looking forward to getting out soon with it

Dan, thank you for the link. Ill check it out.

Jahem- Thanks for the info on the Lee system. You have the same set up I do with the D800 and 14mm through 200mm 2.8s. Although I went with a different camera bag as I have a thinktank. It carries everything well and I like the size of it but I doubt a filter system for the 14-24 would fit in it. I also dont like how a tripod can attach to my bag. It straps on at the bottom and every time you set the bag down the tripod takes a beating..lol. Anyways the Lee system sounds like the one Ill get when the time comes. Im mainly interested in an ND filter for this lens. I find myself letting this lens set in the bag a lot of the times but having an ND filter kit for it will totally change all of that for me. Thank you all very much

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads