Getting rid of the V1

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions
Kiet_Hang
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
Getting rid of the V1
Jan 27, 2013

Okay, so I bought the V1 when BHPhoto had the firesale on them during December.  Well, its been almost two months and I have tried it out comprehensively.  It looks like I will be getting rid of it.  I just can't get over the image quality of the sensor.  Looks like I will probably have to look at the Sony RX1 to get a sall pockeable camera with good image quality.  Its a shame since there's lots of stuff I like about it.

-- hide signature --

I am not a brand loyalist, I can take equally bad pictures with any brand...

Nikon 1 V1 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting rid of the V1
In reply to Kiet_Hang, Jan 27, 2013

So if a $300 1" camera won't do the job, a full frame camera for $2800 surely will?

Trolling much?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kiet_Hang
Like?
In reply to IVN, Jan 27, 2013

Wow, calling me a troll because I don't like the image quality of the camera?  Grow up much?

-- hide signature --

IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?

I really dont care weather you like the V1's IQ or not. I own the camera, but I'm not married to it.

What I find odd is that at first you believed that a $300 camera could satisfy you...and now you are thinking of buying a 10x more expensive camera? That's like the most insane stretch I have ever heard of. To me that makes no sense at all.

"Not satisfied with the VW Polo? Buy a Lamborghini!!!"

That's why I think you are trolling.

Kiet_Hang
Like?
In reply to IVN, Jan 27, 2013

At first, I bought the V1 due to its focus system and focus speed.  Unfortunately, I am not really happy with the image quality, or the consistency of the image quality.

As far as cost wise, it really doesn't matter if the camera costs $300, or $3000.  If I like it I will buy it, if I don't like it, it doesn't matter if its $300.  Cost is not an issue.

As for the RX1, I have not used it or bought it yet.  But from reviews, the image quality seems very good.  But I don't know if I can live with the focus speed (or lack thereof)..

At first, the V1's image was acceptable for a sensor so small, but my preference is for more than "acceptable".  I must admit though that I have been spoiled image quality wise with my D800 and maybe I am asking for the impossibl in a pocketable camera.

-- hide signature --

vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?

Well there aren't much choices if you want to keep it compact, but are still looking for high IQ. And of course a much more bigger and more expensive FF sensor will give you finally a better IQ than a small CX sensor. So if you are not satisfied with the V1 IQ it's legitimate to look around for something else.

However it's finally more or less all about compromises, the RX1 due to being FF and it's Zeiss lens has good IQ even under higher ISO for such a compact cam, but on the other side it's too expensive for what it offers, it lacks quicker AF, a built in VF and exchangeable lenses etc. for that high price. - The V1 instead is actually a bargain, has a fast AF at least under good lighting conditions, but lacks higher ISO IQ, more resolution, better flash capabilities etc.

There doesn't exist something like the optimal cam for everyone on the market, so you have to make the best out of it for you individually!

-- hide signature --

Valentino

JBrian
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?

Well the V1 is not for everyone. I had a V1, couple lenses 10-30, 30-110 and flash and sold it last month also. I liked most things about the V1, the IQ was pretty good and loved the AF speed. One thing that really irked me though was the drop in price of the V1. I paid pretty close to full price 7 months ago, so I lost a lot of $$ in this system. I don't plan on any camera really holding value except Leica and a few others but damn... this one hurt.

I have an Canon S95 to hold me down for now. I came to a realization that most of my best (memorable) shots all came from my old and sold Canon Rebel XT dSLR with mid grade lenses. I might make the jump back into dSLR's but this time into a full frame Canon 6D.

For some reason the dSLR helped inspire confidence that I don't get with smaller pocket cameras and usually showed in the end result. Don't get me wrong, I had some good results with the V1, but I still felt unsatisfied. I try to tell myself that it doesn't matter what camera I use and that I can make good shots with whatever I have, but I'm still looking for those and think I need an more capable system.

J.G.

rb0321
Contributing MemberPosts: 633Gear list
Like?

Kiet_Hang wrote:

At first, the V1's image was acceptable for a sensor so small, but my preference is for more than "acceptable". I must admit though that I have been spoiled image quality wise with my D800 and maybe I am asking for the impossibl in a pocketable camera.

You may want take a look at the Olympus OMD. Still looking at alternatives myself so don't own one, yet. Better IQ and feature set, also has a very fast focus speed for a reasonable price. There is a very comprehensive choice of lenses as well.

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
TRIODEROB
Contributing MemberPosts: 972
Like?
In reply to rb0321, Jan 27, 2013

its you - not the V1

LEARN HOW TO USE IT AND YOU WILL GET GOOD IMAGES

Kiet_Hang
Like?
In reply to TRIODEROB, Jan 27, 2013

It always amazes me how someone can access another person's abilities and skills to take pictures without first hand knowledge of their work.

Also, is that image you attached suppose to represent the IQ of the camera?  It looks way oversharpened and is clipped at both ends in the highlights and lowlights.

-- hide signature --

Kiet_Hang
Like?
In reply to vkyr2, Jan 27, 2013

I agree it is a compromise.  I really do like the quick AF of the V1.  It just can't be beat for something that is so pocketable.  Like I said, I might be disappointed with the RX1 when I get it due to the items you pointed out such as AF, EVF etc..  But there's only one way to find out.

-- hide signature --

Kiet_Hang
Like?
In reply to rb0321, Jan 27, 2013

Thanks, I am also considering that.  Just wish it was a tad smaller and more portable.  Although I have not handled one yet, it looks big in pictures, but I'll have to check it out to see the actual size.

-- hide signature --

Kiet_Hang
Like?
Some example of IQ I have been getting from the V1

Here are some examples of what I have been getting (IQ wise) from the V1.   I was expecting a bit more from all the hype.  What am I doing wrong? Maybe I am expecting a bit too much?

-- hide signature --

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,717
Like?
Re: Some example of IQ I have been getting from the V1

Kiet_Hang wrote:

Here are some examples of what I have been getting (IQ wise) from the V1. I was expecting a bit more from all the hype. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I am expecting a bit too much?

If you expected it to give you the same image quality as your D800, then yes, absolutely.

Kiet_Hang
Like?
In reply to coudet, Jan 27, 2013

I think you nailed it and that may be my problem. I took it out shooting along with my D800 and when I compared the images after I got home, I was just so disappointed. Had I not shot it side by side with my D800, I might not have been disappointed. I purchased it as a light carry around camera for when I don't want to carry my D800, for example like vacation trips to Disneyland and such where a light and small pocketable camera is preferred. I am hoping the RX1 will produce images similar to my D800 for those occasions. I think I might just keep the V1 and give it to my daughter since she has been showing some interest in potography.

-- hide signature --

mnhoj
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

You gave it a shot and it just doesn't work for you. Nothing wrong with that. I like the images that you've posted.

iamthenewguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?

These are some great photos! I've had the V1 since it debuted and I'm perfectly happy with it (and my X100) but I know it's not going to be for everyone. Comparing it to a D800 was probably a bad idea but at least you gave it a shot. I hope the RX1 ends up being what you are looking for.

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
ripleysbaby
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?

At first, I bought the V1 due to its focus system and focus speed.  Unfortunately, I am not really happy with the image quality, or the consistency of the image quality.

As far as cost wise, it really doesn't matter if the camera costs $300, or $3000.  If I like it I will buy it, if I don't like it, it doesn't matter if its $300.  Cost is not an issue.

As for the RX1, I have not used it or bought it yet.  But from reviews, the image quality seems very good.  But I don't know if I can live with the focus speed (or lack thereof)..

At first, the V1's image was acceptable for a sensor so small, but my preference is for more than "acceptable".  I must admit though that I have been spoiled image quality wise with my D800 and maybe I am asking for the impossibl in a pocketable camera.

-- hide signature --

If money is not an issue and you say there is a lot to like about the V1, why don't you just keep it.
You might as well use it for situations that might result in damage. Leave it in your car for those grab it quick moment. After owning a ff dslr I also know there is a world of difference in image quality. I bought the V1 because of the price drop, I was curious about the reported performance . It's not ever going to replace my main camera, but it's a lot of fun . I'm even going to get more lenses when I can afford it.
Big sensor, little sensor ? I rarely print my photographs so full frame is overkill for me . I know the V1 would deliver a great detailed 8x10.
I'm keeping my V1, it's not worth selling. It was worth buying though.
I am happy though you may spend megabucks on a new model. Lots of us here can't. However we may buy your second hand multi thousand camera when you decide to get rid of that.
I consider myself lucky that I have reached a point in my life where I am happy with the gear I own.
I am content .

ripleysbaby's gear list:ripleysbaby's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
Higher Living
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

It sounds like you had overly high expectations for the V1, there's not many full frame cameras that can match the D800, but certainly none of the mirrorless options from any manufacturer will. The NEX series seem to get good marks for image quality, but it still won't come close to a D800.

I bought the V1 knowing the limitations and am loving it as an alternative/backup to a full frame camera, I just know that if I want to make big prints I have to take the full frame out.

peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,144Gear list
Like?
In reply to Higher Living, Jan 27, 2013

Higher Living wrote:

It sounds like you had overly high expectations for the V1, there's not many full frame cameras that can match the D800, but certainly none of the mirrorless options from any manufacturer will. The NEX series seem to get good marks for image quality, but it still won't come close to a D800.

I bought the V1 knowing the limitations and am loving it as an alternative/backup to a full frame camera, I just know that if I want to make big prints I have to take the full frame out.

You nailed it.

The question is : Too high expectations.

The ptoblem was the initial hype.

The picture of the flower is great shot by Kiet_Hang is very beautiful.

The picture of the kids outside  sitting in a bench is also great.

Pictures are sharp.

I believe there are some white balance problems and not so good low light pictures but no camera is perfect.

If one does not raise expectations too high camera is fine .

Since the reviews I read about the V1 were full of criticism.., my expectations are not high.

Let us see what pictures camera can take.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon ELPH 500 HS RX100 III Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads