G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,866Gear list
Like?
G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
Jan 26, 2013

Obviously not apples-to-apples.  But might get closer if you eliminate the zoom range differences.

So, doing that, do the later G-Series (maybe from G10 to the newest G15)cameras simply blow away the IQ of the later SX-superzooms (SX30, 40, 50)?  Is there an obvious difference here?

This is "mainly" an Image Quality personal opinion comparison.

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin87
Contributing MemberPosts: 633Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to BobT, Jan 26, 2013

BobT wrote:

Obviously not apples-to-apples. But might get closer if you eliminate the zoom range differences.

So, doing that, do the later G-Series (maybe from G10 to the newest G15)cameras simply blow away the IQ of the later SX-superzooms (SX30, 40, 50)? Is there an obvious difference here?

This is "mainly" an Image Quality personal opinion comparison.

Yes. The newer G series cameras do blow away the SX superzooms when it comes to low-light photography. If you intent to shoot a lot in a dimly lit conditions the G series is a must. The SX series will give you very noisy and smudged images in low light.
On the other hand if you take a lot of pictures in broad daylight the SX series is the way to go.

I hope my answer helped you.

 Martin87's gear list:Martin87's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Sony RX100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Derek Oregon
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to Martin87, Jan 26, 2013

Why choose? The SX50 and G1X make an awesome pair!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,324
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to Martin87, Jan 26, 2013

Martin87 wrote:

BobT wrote:

Obviously not apples-to-apples. But might get closer if you eliminate the zoom range differences.

So, doing that, do the later G-Series (maybe from G10 to the newest G15)cameras simply blow away the IQ of the later SX-superzooms (SX30, 40, 50)? Is there an obvious difference here?

This is "mainly" an Image Quality personal opinion comparison.

Yes. The newer G series cameras do blow away the SX superzooms when it comes to low-light photography. If you intent to shoot a lot in a dimly lit conditions the G series is a must. The SX series will give you very noisy and smudged images in low light.

The newest G-series camera, the G15, will have a clear low light advantage over the SX50, but mostly because it has a considerably faster lens (at the shared FLs). If looking at the sensor sizes alone, then the G15's sensor area is just about 48% larger. That can be translated to a bit more than half a stop better high-ISO performance, which really isn't that much. If comparing the G12 and SX40 instead, then the low light performance would be much closer, because the lenses are equally 'fast'.

On the other hand if you take a lot of pictures in broad daylight the SX series is the way to go.

I hope my answer helped you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to Steen Bay, Jan 26, 2013

The larger sensor will give you an edge in general IQ too.

 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,866Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to Jostian, Jan 26, 2013

Concerned as to which series of models will produce better images for an upcoming trip to the U.S. Southwest.....mainly scenics.  I have DSLR gear but wanting to occasionally shoot with less/lighter gear.  I have even thought of taking something like a E-PL2 and a kit lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mfetz1026
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to BobT, Jan 26, 2013

I have a G10 and a G1x and live in the Southwestern US.

Both cameras produce exceptional photographs, with the G1x having better IQ and low light performance. I now carry the G10 just for macro, at which it excels.

Pay no attention to all the people whining about AF issues on the G1X. It is excellent for landscapes. It is NOT for action/sports.

That said, I find myself looking at all the great SX bird photos and wishing I had a superzoom just for brds......

Can't have everything!

 mfetz1026's gear list:mfetz1026's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,543Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to mfetz1026, Jan 26, 2013

mfetz1026 wrote:

I have a G10 and a G1x and live in the Southwestern US.

Both cameras produce exceptional photographs, with the G1x having better IQ and low light performance. I now carry the G10 just for macro, at which it excels.

Pay no attention to all the people whining about AF issues on the G1X. It is excellent for landscapes. It is NOT for action/sports.

That said, I find myself looking at all the great SX bird photos and wishing I had a superzoom just for brds......

Can't have everything!

I am mainly a daylight shooter, and most cameras have more than enough IQ for my need which is to print a 6x4 photo of my trips, so I have just ordered a SX240HS, which I think will be just what I need for my trip in a fortnight.

I will let you know how it goes, it is my first canon camera in 10 years of buying digital !!

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,866Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to brianj, Jan 26, 2013

Brian,

I have a Canon SX230HS, which I believe is a predecessor of the SX240 that you're getting.  I have found it to be a great go-to camera for most anything.  In fact it's the only camera (I have 3 cameras)that I choose to use for indoor situations such as my grandkid's H.S. music concerts and such.

Not sure if your SX240 has that "irritating" auto pop-up flash or not.  But it's really not that irritating as long as you just get use to holding it down (shut/closed) when turning the camera on.  And it doesn't hurt the operation of the camera either.

Hope you enjoy it.  I think it's a great camera and probably should consider it over the G or SX series for my trip.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,866Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to BobT, Jan 26, 2013

In a previous forum thread, I had asked about using a SX50 OR E-PL2 ( and 2 kit lenses..14-42 & 40-150) for my SW trip.  Only yesterday, I decided to go with the SX50, mainly for it being a more convenient ONE piece camera unit, and it's incredibly huge zoom range.  But now that I have decided on that, I'm having 2nd thoughts.  I'm back to considering the MFT gear.  Yet, I already have suitable DSLR gear, too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,543Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to BobT, Jan 26, 2013

BobT wrote:

Brian,

I have a Canon SX230HS, which I believe is a predecessor of the SX240 that you're getting. I have found it to be a great go-to camera for most anything. In fact it's the only camera (I have 3 cameras)that I choose to use for indoor situations such as my grandkid's H.S. music concerts and such.

Not sure if your SX240 has that "irritating" auto pop-up flash or not. But it's really not that irritating as long as you just get use to holding it down (shut/closed) when turning the camera on. And it doesn't hurt the operation of the camera either.

Hope you enjoy it. I think it's a great camera and probably should consider it over the G or SX series for my trip.

The one I have looked at in the shop even in AUTO mode if the flash option is selected in the menu there is a choice to turn off the flash, so they changed it so you can have the popup inhibited.  I have also read this in reviews.

Thanks for the feedback on how likable this camera model is, that's good to know as you cannot get that from reviews.

In example images that I have viewed from others on the web, two things impress me about the images, one is the lack of blochy chroma noise, even at high ISO the noise remains fairly fine and monochrome in nature, and the second thing I liked is the seeminly wide color gamut, the images appear to vividly contain very subtle colours that are in between the primary RGB and secondary CYM set of colours.  Many digital images that I have seen do not reproduce this well.

I have been told that it will readily use high ISO, which is because the aperture is not very big, starting at f3.5, and in order to keep a respectable shutter speed, but I am not too worried about this due to my mostly daylight shooting style and also only small prints and the fine nature of the noise.

Life is full of compromises, so I think this will be ok considering I get 25-500mm zoom in a small package.

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,142Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to BobT, Jan 26, 2013

Bob,

I really think you'll want both a very long lens, and something much faster and more compact for low light and for places where you don't want to carry the superzoom.  It would also give you a backup, just in case.

As to superzooms, the Canon models to look at would be the SX40HS or SX50HS because they have DIGIC 5 and can correct for chromatic aberration automatically, in-camera.  Once you zoom a litle, both camera's lenses get quite slow, as both have lenses where the aperture changes quite rapidly as you zoom.  By 140 mm, where the G15 is still f/2.8; the SZ's are already almost 2 stops slower.  Fine for daylight; but forcing high ISO in dimmer light.

Both the Canon SZ's do fairly well at higher ISO; but neither one can hold a candle to the G15 in low light.  I recently bought a G15 to replace a G11, and I'm really amazed at how much better the G15 is.  It's also fairly light at 12.5 oz., and slim enough to fit into a shirt pocket.

As an alternative to the Canons, I can recommend the Panasonic FZ150 or FZ200.  Both cover 25-600 mm, equivalent.  The FZ150 at f/2.8-f/5.2 and only f/4 at 300 mm.  The FZ200 is the same focal length and a constant f/2.8; and with a very high resolution EVF.  Properly set up, image quality is excellent on both cameras.  I own both.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

 GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to GeraldW, Jan 26, 2013

GeraldW wrote:

Bob,

I really think you'll want both a very long lens, and something much faster and more compact for low light and for places where you don't want to carry the superzoom. It would also give you a backup, just in case.

As to superzooms, the Canon models to look at would be the SX40HS or SX50HS because they have DIGIC 5 and can correct for chromatic aberration automatically, in-camera. Once you zoom a litle, both camera's lenses get quite slow, as both have lenses where the aperture changes quite rapidly as you zoom. By 140 mm, where the G15 is still f/2.8; the SZ's are already almost 2 stops slower. Fine for daylight; but forcing high ISO in dimmer light.

Both the Canon SZ's do fairly well at higher ISO; but neither one can hold a candle to the G15 in low light. I recently bought a G15 to replace a G11, and I'm really amazed at how much better the G15 is. It's also fairly light at 12.5 oz., and slim enough to fit into a shirt pocket.

As an alternative to the Canons, I can recommend the Panasonic FZ150 or FZ200. Both cover 25-600 mm, equivalent. The FZ150 at f/2.8-f/5.2 and only f/4 at 300 mm. The FZ200 is the same focal length and a constant f/2.8; and with a very high resolution EVF. Properly set up, image quality is excellent on both cameras. I own both.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

yip the FZ200 has a great lens, pity about the sensor which lets it down a bit (better sensor in the FZ150), if build quality then the XS1 is easily the best as its IQ (numerous comparison threads in the forum), but it is expensive, heavy and doesn't have the reach of the SX50 or the Nikon P510. Bridgecam IQ is pretty even across these bridgecams but at higher iso's the XS1 with the bigger sensor has the edge, the XS1 also has a 1.44 million res EVF and auto eye sensor, the SX50 is also decent at higher iso's too. At the end of the day it depends on what's important to you, but its always good to handle the cams to get a feel for them before purchasing.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,909Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to BobT, Jan 27, 2013

BobT wrote:

So, doing that, do the later G-Series (maybe from G10 to the newest G15)cameras simply blow away the IQ of the later SX-superzooms (SX30, 40, 50)? Is there an obvious difference here?

This is "mainly" an Image Quality personal opinion comparison.

Pretty much, particularly in lower light situations -- and especially so for the G15 with its faster lens.

In many situations the IQ differences will be no big deal (e.g., "vacation" shooting in daylight condx).  But the G15 and others of the series also provide more flexible shooting controls and other features (e.g., built-in neutral density [ND] filter).

-- hide signature --

Phil

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,142Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to Jostian, Jan 27, 2013

Jostian,

A couple of us over on the Panasonic compact forum have been stubbornly working to find the optimum settings for JPEGs.  Just this last week, quite by coincidence, we hit on the same settings; although we came on them from opposite directions.  No matter, I'll put the FZ200 with those settings up against the FZ150 all the way up to ISO 1600. (I have both cameras).

We are both now using NR-1/Sharpening -2/iResolution ON.  Not at all obvious; but it works wonderfully well under a very broad range of lighting, ISO, and subjects, including flash.

I have no idea what Panasonic was thinking to deviate so far from the practice they heve used since at least the FZ28.  The FZ28/FZ35/FZ150 all were optimized at NR -2/Sharpening +1.  I tried that on the FZ200; and it looked terrible.  I think the obscurity of the optimum setting and the fact that the default settings needed help has lead to a lot of misconceptions about the sensor on the FZ200; and probably hurt sales as a result.

In contrast, my Canon Powershots have all been quite consistent in what I want for JPEGs.  Just about every one has needed +1, or occassionally +2 sharpening in Custom in My Colors to suit my tastes, and then I'm done.  Takes maybe an hour to try it and see.  We do have my wife's A710IS set to Vivid; but that's really an exception over many, many models.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

 GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to GeraldW, Jan 27, 2013

GeraldW wrote:

Jostian,

A couple of us over on the Panasonic compact forum have been stubbornly working to find the optimum settings for JPEGs. Just this last week, quite by coincidence, we hit on the same settings; although we came on them from opposite directions. No matter, I'll put the FZ200 with those settings up against the FZ150 all the way up to ISO 1600. (I have both cameras).

We are both now using NR-1/Sharpening -2/iResolution ON. Not at all obvious; but it works wonderfully well under a very broad range of lighting, ISO, and subjects, including flash.

I have no idea what Panasonic was thinking to deviate so far from the practice they heve used since at least the FZ28. The FZ28/FZ35/FZ150 all were optimized at NR -2/Sharpening +1. I tried that on the FZ200; and it looked terrible. I think the obscurity of the optimum setting and the fact that the default settings needed help has lead to a lot of misconceptions about the sensor on the FZ200; and probably hurt sales as a result.

In contrast, my Canon Powershots have all been quite consistent in what I want for JPEGs. Just about every one has needed +1, or occassionally +2 sharpening in Custom in My Colors to suit my tastes, and then I'm done. Takes maybe an hour to try it and see. We do have my wife's A710IS set to Vivid; but that's really an exception over many, many models.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Thanks for the insight, appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,866Gear list
Like?
Re: G-Series vs. SX-Superzooms??
In reply to PC Wheeler, Jan 27, 2013

Phil,

Other than the G15, what other cameras would you put right up there with it?  Canon brand or not.

Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,250
Like?
I'd Wait...
In reply to BobT, Jan 27, 2013

I'd wait to see how the Fuji X20 performs....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads