Photo Ninja vs Aperture

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions
Mads Bjerke
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Photo Ninja vs Aperture
Jan 26, 2013

I have just acquired Photo Ninja and enjoy it a lot. It seems to pull out a lot more detail from RAW files than Aperture.

Currently I use the OMD with the 12-50.

This image was taken in Norway last summer and I did a quick comparison between Aperture and PN. Interestingly, you will see that Aperture crops the image a bit. My guess is that it does some lens correction. Hard to judge from this photo.

Aperture first

Aperture RAW conversion

Photo Ninja RAW conversion

Out of Camera JPG

These are not default conversions. Some highlight recovery and sharpening. Aperture Detail also added.

On a side note; do anybody else have a problem with Aperture and display sharpness? Unless I view at 100% it always looks a bit soft. Photo Ninja always looks much sharper on screen.

Do anybody else have experiences to share with PN?

Mads

cprevost
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
Re: Photo Ninja vs Aperture
In reply to Mads Bjerke, Jan 26, 2013

You are a better photographer than me because I can't see the difference between the first 2.

cprevost's gear list:cprevost's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bloodycape
Senior MemberPosts: 1,426Gear list
Like?

Of the three, do you remember which accurately reflected the scene that day?

I am not sure if you saw this thread or not, but Aleo also is impressed with PN. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50603675

bloodycape's gear list:bloodycape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?

I am still trying Photo Ninja and like it much. I asked for a trial code.

I have only compared to Lightroom, Capture One, and DXO and I like better Photo Ninja. It has an overall better IQ. And it is very fast and simple interface.

I think I am going to buy it.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Photo Ninja vs Aperture. / I still am.
In reply to bloodycape, Jan 26, 2013

bloodycape wrote:

Of the three, do you remember which accurately reflected the scene that day?

I am not sure if you saw this thread or not, but Aleo also is impressed with PN. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50603675

Yes I was and I still am, the more I use Photo Ninja the more I like the simple interface and IQ.

But it seems it is not only me, I have read some reviews saying that is the best camera RAW engine now. I have first tried Photo Ninja, and I was a bit amazed with the results. Then I have done a search for reviews and found some.

Picture Code is a good software company, I remember to use the good Noise Ninja for a long time. I am glad they made the Photo Ninja. Also I have been in touch with Picture Code and they are going to apply more features and improvements on the nearest updates that are free and there is no need to remove the previous version.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Only with default settings. And one processed by me.
  • This one was converted from raw, just with the default settings that Photo Ninja as analyzed. 

Photo Ninja.

Default ACR Original.

• And here one of my favorite pictures processed on Photo Ninja. 

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?

I am also trying Photo Ninja since I have seen the Aleo thread about that. I asked for a trial code like he did. They have sent an email with the code for 30 days to be able to save the pictures processed. I am very satisfied with Photo Ninja.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Photo Grapher, Jan 26, 2013

Photo Grapher wrote:

I am also trying Photo Ninja since I have seen the Aleo thread about that. I asked for a trial code like he did. They have sent an email with the code for 30 days to be able to save the pictures processed. I am very satisfied with Photo Ninja.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Glad my thread was useful to you.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998
Like?
In reply to Mads Bjerke, Jan 27, 2013

the foreground (i.e. rock and green trees/plants) in the PhotoNinja are better but I like the background part of the Aperture (nice saturation & details of the sky and clouds).

depending on familiarity and skills in editing both software will produce close results so it's the 'editors' taste and artistic view will deliver the punch and great canvas

enjoy editing... more challenging than taking photos

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,971Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jan 27, 2013

Interesting. I think I will also have a look at the program.

thanks

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
ryan2007
Like?
Photo Ninja Discontinued
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jan 27, 2013

Actually, if I understand correctly after looking at the web site support for the Mac and I use 10.8 Photo Ninja will Stop support in the near future.  So using this software seems to be a waste of money and time.  Do you understand this as well the same way?

http://www.picturecode.com/os_support.php

Fujifilm X100S
kodachromeguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: Photo Ninja Discontinued - not for Mac
In reply to ryan2007, Jan 27, 2013

I think you misunderstood their support message.  They wrote, "We believe it will be practical to continue supporting 64-bit OS X 10.6.8 for a while, but it will depend on the evolution of Apple's platform and our code base."  I interpret this to mean 64-bit X 10.8 is still current.

Ninja will discontinue Windows XP versions.  I encounter this at work.  We have been told we can not connect XP computers on the network after Dec. 31 of this year.

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
ryan2007
Like?
Re: Photo Ninja Discontinued - not for Mac
In reply to kodachromeguy, Jan 27, 2013

Thanks for clarifying!

Fujifilm X100S
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,718Gear list
Like?
I would reckon u need to watch Aperture for a disappearing act

They've continued to tweak Aperture v.3., but v.4 is long overdue in my opinion.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Not to me, because.

ryan2007 wrote:

Actually, if I understand correctly after looking at the web site support for the Mac and I use 10.8 Photo Ninja will Stop support in the near future. So using this software seems to be a waste of money and time. Do you understand this as well the same way?

http://www.picturecode.com/os_support.php

I use Windows 8 now, and still have the 7 on other computer. Besides that I only use Linux.

To me it will not be discontinued. But I understand your position.

-- hide signature --

Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Opinions on the Adobe Forum. / Photo Ninja.
In reply to Mads Bjerke, Jan 28, 2013

Found this.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4753607

-- hide signature --

Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Aleo Photo Site

ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 878Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinions on the Adobe Forum. / Photo Ninja.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jan 28, 2013

Wanted to give Photo Ninja a try but apparently it does not support GH3 raw files because when I opened them up in PN, all pictures have Magenta color cast on them.

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +1 more
Shirozina
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
In reply to Mads Bjerke, Jan 28, 2013

Thanks for this - I'm very impressed. I use mainly LR for it's efficient workflow but Ninja is looking better for outright quality. It's managing to render more fine detail for a start which makes the demosaicing quality of LR, C1 and DXO look quite crude in comparison. On my 5DII files they look like they have gained an extra 10mp! when you peep at 100%. I've always though the big boys in the RAW processing game have traded off a bit of demosaicing quality for processing speed......

GX1 files and 5DII files look great but it looks like they need to develop support for GH3 files as the colour looks like some out of date C41 neg film.

Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,059
Like?
In reply to Shirozina, Jan 28, 2013

I'm not sure if comparing the default rendering between ACR and PN will really determine which is the best RAW processor. Even after editing with both software, will one really notice the difference between PN and ACR? I'm also concerned about how much resources PN is spending to get more camera support. Adobe have a lot of resources at its disposal so most cameras will be added to its database. I'm not sure PN will do that. Until I get more specifics from PN with respect to its policy of camera support, I'm not sure I can ever move away from Adobe.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sgt_Strider, Jan 28, 2013

in fact you only really need support for one camera -- the one you have. Or the two or three you have. Any other support is just a waste of resources from your PoV is you look at it from a real world perspective.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads