Will Pelican 1510 hold 500 f/5 VR *with* hood?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions
colinchisholm
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Will Pelican 1510 hold 500 f/5 VR *with* hood?
Jan 26, 2013

Just got a Pelican 1510 hard case (a.k.a. 1514 when configured with dividers):
seems I can just get the Nikon 500 f/4 VR in their when the hood is on,
but it is kind of tight, and I am not sure it is safe to travel this way:
-could the hood get damaged by the tight fit? 
-or is this safe?

glo
glo
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
Re: Will Pelican 1510 hold 500 f/5 VR *with* hood?
In reply to colinchisholm, Jan 26, 2013

Should be fine unless your talking about checking your case with an airline, then absolutely not - ever! Glass and bodies should go with you as carry on. I say that because of theft not impact damage. If your shipping the lens to a destination you'd have to ask, if the case got bumped or dropped on the "tight" side/edge, would the lens be safe? Depends. But if your just traveling with it you should have no worries.

glo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
colinchisholm
Like?
In reply to glo, Jan 26, 2013

Thanks. The main reason I got this is because I came close to having to gate-check my Thinktank Airport International V2.0 on small regional jets on one trip last year!

If forced to gate-check, I would feel a lot better doing that with the Pelican than anything else.

So for such a gate-check scenario do I really need to remove the 500 f/4 lens hood?

Mike Zed
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to colinchisholm, Jan 27, 2013

I had a pelican case but had problems when checking in as carry on because of the weight of the case and then my equipment. I finally got a Kiboka bag that weighs about 4 lbs empty. On a trip to Arica I put my Nikon 600 and 400 in the Kiboka bag and was about a pound over the required weigh but still got on as carry on.

I guess what I am saying is that the lighter the bag the more stuff you can get in it and get it on the plane as carry on. No need to gate because it makes the weight.

If the bag is overweight and they stop me I pull out a lense or body and put it in my coat pocket and after getting tthrough x ray just put it all back in the bag.

Food for though!

colinchisholm
Like?
In reply to Mike Zed, Jan 30, 2013

Good points, but the scenario I faced was purely a size issue where everyone with a full-size looking carry on was told they had to gate check. I ignored that and said I had expensive lenses and needed to at least try to fit it in the cabin. They let me try.

It fit in one plane, so no issue.

On the other plane: it did not fit, but fortunately the stewardess had a space available in one of their lockers of some kind! Phew. THIS is the scenario the I am trying to cover: if it didn't fit it would have been gate checked. (In neither scenario did anyone weight my bag! Although they did that once in Taiwan.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads