Let's petition Metabones for a Canon to Fuji SpeedBooster!

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions
WaltZ
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Let's petition Metabones for a Canon to Fuji SpeedBooster!
Jan 26, 2013

I have a handful of great Canon EF lenses, and would LOVE to be able to turn them into even faster/sharper lenses on my XE-1. I've sent Metabones an email, and their response was "we'll look into it." Please, please, please, send them an email and ask for an EF to Fuji-X adapter!

info@metabones.com

If you're not familiar with this adapter, here's their press release.

WaltZ's gear list:WaltZ's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's petition Metabones for a Canon to Fuji SpeedBooster!
In reply to WaltZ, Jan 26, 2013

Would rather a Nikon F mount version.  I suspect that'd be true of all the ex-S series people too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506
Like?

The only issue with using Canon EF lenses with the X-mount is that you can't change the f-stop unless you put the lens back on a Canon body.

JimLong
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Jan 26, 2013

According to their website, the Canon EF to NEX supports auto-aperture, image stablization, EXIF and (slow) autofocus support for late-model (post-2006) Canon-brand lenses.  I would assume that if they designed one for the Fuji X mount, it would have the same capability.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Jan 26, 2013

mr moonlight wrote:

The only issue with using Canon EF lenses with the X-mount is that you can't change the f-stop unless you put the lens back on a Canon body.

Yeah that does suck, considering you can control aperture of the EF lenses on NEX cameras with the adapter. I guess in this case the aperture ring on the lenses kind of backfired for Fuji (although I love it)

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to JimLong, Jan 26, 2013

JimLong wrote:

According to their website, the Canon EF to NEX supports auto-aperture, image stablization, EXIF and (slow) autofocus support for late-model (post-2006) Canon-brand lenses. I would assume that if they designed one for the Fuji X mount, it would have the same capability.

They'd need to redesign their adapter to include an aperture ring, since the X bodies can't change aperture.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Jan 26, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

JimLong wrote:

According to their website, the Canon EF to NEX supports auto-aperture, image stablization, EXIF and (slow) autofocus support for late-model (post-2006) Canon-brand lenses. I would assume that if they designed one for the Fuji X mount, it would have the same capability.

They'd need to redesign their adapter to include an aperture ring, since the X bodies can't change aperture.

And then you run into the problem of how accurate that is, considering those aperture blades were not designed for that lens. Especially with all the different lens sizes/designs out there. Im no expert, but I expect that wouldn't work out very well.

Toanisanidiot
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
In reply to newone757, Jan 26, 2013

I wouldn't mind just having a canon to fuji speed boster that didn't have electrical contacts. It'd be cheaper without it, and I would be able to adapt nikon F and OM lenses to it with a cheaper adapter.

I also mainly shoot wide open on my canon lenses anyways =]

Toanisanidiot's gear list:Toanisanidiot's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M
Brian Dougher
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Toanisanidiot, Jan 26, 2013

This is exactly what I was thinking. More lenses can be adapted to Canon, and I don't need the electrical contacts. could use my Canon converted Minolta 58mm 1.2 lens, my SMC Takumar and my Nikon AI lenses.

VisualFX
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?

There is no need for these stupid adapters. Just buy Fuji native lenses, where you get full focusing and works as designed. Putting larger lenses on these small cameras is ridiculous.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to VisualFX, Jan 26, 2013

VisualFX wrote:

There is no need for these stupid adapters. Just buy Fuji native lenses, where you get full focusing and works as designed. Putting larger lenses on these small cameras is ridiculous.

I dont even think it needs to be said, but obviously fiuji's lineup is not all the way fleshed out yet. Some people just aren't as patient. I'm wanting something comparable to my 135L, I love that lens and theres nothing even close to that focal length available.

I have been amazed with Fuji's lens quality though and given the choice, I would honestly pick Fuji lens over my L glass based on my experience. The Fuji's have been stellar right from wide open IMO

jonnie burtoft
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?

Canon fd for me, the lenses are small, light cheap and good performers. I have the 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 135 2.8. I use them on my m43 and xpro1. Cheers jon

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?

I am still looking for an adapter for legacy Fuji X lenses. I expected this to be one of the first adapters available. Has anyone seen one of these?

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +23 more
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,911Gear list
Like?
I am not too interested

The only lenses I'd like to put on a Nex or my X-E1 are the Zeiss ZF lenses. They have an aperture ring, and very beautiful image quality. They operate on my F- mount cameras and (via small adapter) on my 5d II.

However the lenses that Fuji will bring out for the X-System are smaller, lighter, some of them are very fast (f1,4) and optically all are very good. There will be XF- 23/1,4 , 56/1,4 plus the current 35/1,4.

With those 3 alone you can shoot a lot of stuff, small, light and sharp.The FF lenses with Metabones adapter will make you loose quality. Not a lot maybe, but excellent lenses will probably end up only "very good".

The Metabones adapter is expensive, and the whole thing will end up heavy and large. If I really want shallowest DOF and FF quality, I put my lenses on my 5dII.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,149Gear list
Like?

hellocrowley wrote:

JimLong wrote:

I'm sure that is not true. The body changes the aperture in the lens after the lens tells the body what setting it wants. The Fuji lenses have NO manual control of aperture or focus. It is as EF as Canon's system is. Fuji would just have to add a separate body-controlled menu item or something to allow more direct electronic control.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
JimLong
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

When I set my 18-55 lens to auto aperture ane change the shutter speed dial, the aperture changes, so I believe that the X-E1 can change apertures.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to shigzeo ?, Jan 26, 2013

shigzeo ? wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

JimLong wrote:

I'm sure that is not true. The body changes the aperture in the lens after the lens tells the body what setting it wants. The Fuji lenses have NO manual control of aperture or focus. It is as EF as Canon's system is. Fuji would just have to add a separate body-controlled menu item or something to allow more direct electronic control.

And thats the issue. Im not sure Fuji would be willing to add that in camera aperture adjustment just for a 3rd party adapter. I could be wrong though, Fuji seems to listen to its customer base. If any company would make a change for that reason alone, it'd be Fuji

devwild
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
In reply to newone757, Jan 28, 2013

newone757 wrote:

shigzeo ? wrote:

And thats the issue. Im not sure Fuji would be willing to add that in camera aperture adjustment just for a 3rd party adapter. I could be wrong though, Fuji seems to listen to its customer base. If any company would make a change for that reason alone, it'd be Fuji

The electronic control for the 18-55 is on the lens but not marked, so it really works like a +/- control. If that really all the signal that needs to be sent to the body, that would be very easy to do with two soft buttons on the adapter. Just another alternative, though certainly would drive up the cost.

The real problem may be that the electronic controls may only speak to official lens with fuji firmware.

Nixon Glenn
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to devwild, Feb 6, 2013

I need the EF to x-mount Speedbooster to mount my EOS-modified FD & Minolta lenses and Canon 17 TSE lens on Fuji XE-1 ... hope Metabones read this ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads