advice on off brand wide angle alternative to canon 17-40 wth canon 6D

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Questions
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Filters not a real issue.. if you're serious
In reply to PicOne, Jan 30, 2013

PicOne wrote:

Not sure I'd agree on the "takes filters" requirement. Yes, filters are used from time to time in wide angle landscape photography.. However, amongst serious landscape wide/ultrawide shooters, these filters more often than not are GNDs.. for which a filter thread is worthless, and you'd be using a Lee/Cokin type setup anyway. Polarizers are kinda strange on UWAs, creating uneven blue skies. NDs work, but again, if you're prepared to use a GND, you're prepared to not have to use a threaded filter anyway.

Just want to point that Cokin/Lee setup still needs to screw-in a ring adapter on the lens before you can mount the holder. So if a lens such as Canon 17 TS-E has sphere front that blocks the adapter you will not be able to use Cokin/Lee filters also. It seems Tokina 16-28/2.8 also has a sphere front so it may not able to use filters. Personally I didn't use 17-40L much as 24mm is wide enough most times. I prefer photo stitching than UWA. For architecture and the scene that not suitable for stitching I will use my newly acquired 17 TS-E that complements to also relative new 24-70L II well.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rebel99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,301
Like?
Re: advice on off brand wide angle alternative to canon 17-40 wth canon 6D
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 30, 2013

veeco5150 wrote:

It's amazing how small and light the 16-35 2.8L is...but on my full frame it just has so much distortion and it's so much more pricey.

I love to hear the great comments on the 17-40 though! Makes me feel a lot better and that I have made the right purchase!

i think once you get to know the capabilities of the 17-40, you'll love it and it will become your main work horse i have used mine all over the world for years because and am very happy with it's performance. it is great for travel and it can take banging around very well congrats on your your equipment!

cheerz.

PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,863
Like?
Re: Filters not a real issue.. if you're serious
In reply to qianp2k, Jan 30, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

PicOne wrote:

Not sure I'd agree on the "takes filters" requirement. Yes, filters are used from time to time in wide angle landscape photography.. However, amongst serious landscape wide/ultrawide shooters, these filters more often than not are GNDs.. for which a filter thread is worthless, and you'd be using a Lee/Cokin type setup anyway. Polarizers are kinda strange on UWAs, creating uneven blue skies. NDs work, but again, if you're prepared to use a GND, you're prepared to not have to use a threaded filter anyway.

Just want to point that Cokin/Lee setup still needs to screw-in a ring adapter on the lens before you can mount the holder. So if a lens such as Canon 17 TS-E has sphere front that blocks the adapter you will not be able to use Cokin/Lee filters also. It seems Tokina 16-28/2.8 also has a sphere front so it may not able to use filters. Personally I didn't use 17-40L much as 24mm is wide enough most times. I prefer photo stitching than UWA. For architecture and the scene that not suitable for stitching I will use my newly acquired 17 TS-E that complements to also relative new 24-70L II well.

-- hide signature --

-Gaylord Herron

-- hide signature --

Didn't realize Tokina 16-28 doesn't have a filter thread at all.  In these instance, presuming tripod is used, many would just hold a GND/ND glass in front.

Otherwise, did stumble on this:

HiTech Filter Holder

-- hide signature --

-Gaylord Herron

billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,942Gear list
Like?
Re: advice on off brand wide angle alternative to canon 17-40 wth canon 6D
In reply to dirkluchtman, Jan 30, 2013

I heard the Samyang has extremely bad distortion, but great sharpness.

If you want ito use filters, you give up a lot of cheap sharpness and overall quality with the Tokina, but then the 17-40 is probably your choice. Did you check the Sigmas?

Here is a gallery with some Tokina 16-28 shots, check the vancouver gallary: http://dirkluchtman.zenfolio.com/p561113202/h53b2c75c#h53b2c75c

Or here:

http://dirkluchtman.zenfolio.com/

A lot of these were shot either with the Tokina or the Canon 70-200 f4IS.

Muresan Bogdan wrote:

Try the Samyang 14mm f2.8. Even if you keep the 17-40L, 17 mm still isn't superwide. So a prime gives you more sharpness and in this case a lot more on the wide side I still have to try it but I read lot's of great reviews about it and it is next on my list

Lens profile will correct the Samyang distortion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads