advice on off brand wide angle alternative to canon 17-40 wth canon 6D

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Questions
veeco5150
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?
advice on off brand wide angle alternative to canon 17-40 wth canon 6D
Jan 25, 2013

Hello,

I just bought a 6D and have wanted to get a wide angle to go along with my full frame kit for a while. I have the 24-70 2.8.

I just purchased the canon 17-40 f/4 for $700 and it is on it's way, but I am thinking that there might be a better option that might offer 2.8 for that amount with an off brand.

The 16-35 is too pricy for me, but I thought I remembered looking at a sigma top end wide angle that was maybe in this price range with a 2.8 or something faster than 4.0.

Just curious at maybe looking at some other lenses in that range before it gets here. Smaller size also helps as I will be doing a lot of backpacking with this kit.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dirkluchtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
Re: advice on off brand wide angle alternative to canon 17-40 wth canon 6D
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 25, 2013

Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. Do a review on it, it's just as sharp as the 16-35, but cheaper.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian de Cambra
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?

I had the same concern however decided on the 17-40 because it can take filters, some of the others in this zoom range cannot,particularly if they are 2.8. By the way, you will not regret the 17-40 in terms of quality and sharpness, enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
24 mm f/2.8 IS
Just curious at maybe looking at some other lenses in that range before it gets here. Smaller size also helps as I will be doing a lot of backpacking with this kit.

If you aren't going to bring a tripod, this is a lens you should consider.

If you're going to take the camera backpacking (and if you're asking about a wide angle lens), it's a good bet you're going to use it for landscapes.  And since you have a full frame camera, 24 mm is a magical focal length.  In fact, I'm convinced that there are only two focal lengths:  24 mm, and everything else.

Are you talking about overnighters, or longer trips?

ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119
Like?

The 17-40mm is an outstanding lens and you got a good price for it!  For backpacking you want to keep the weight down. F/2.8 lenses are much heavier and you generally want to shoot at f/8 for landscape anyways to keep the corners sharp.  You definitely want to get a polarizing filter for landscape too.

-- hide signature --

img7d

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,216
Like?
You are aware, are you not...
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 26, 2013

That a 24mm lens is already a very wide angle lens, when stuck on the front of a 6D.

BAK

Scorehound
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
In reply to dirkluchtman, Jan 26, 2013

dirkluchtman wrote:

Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. Do a review on it, it's just as sharp as the 16-35, but cheaper.

But you cannot apply filters to it so if you are a filter user, it's a bad choice. I looked at this lens and didn't buy it for that reason.

Scorehound's gear list:Scorehound's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +5 more
rowlandw
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 26, 2013

See my post at "Samyang 14mm on fullframe".  I own this and it produces some interesting and quality results.  However it is an alternative, not a replacement for a main-line lens such as the 17-40 which I also own.

rowlandw's gear list:rowlandw's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Olympus C-3020 Zoom +5 more
veeco5150
Like?
Re: 24 mm f/2.8 IS
In reply to Forrest, Jan 29, 2013

thanks...I've heard it is an amazing lens! I do have the 24-70 2.8L though. I'd prefer primes, but I will be super budget backpacking in hostel dorms from anywhere from 3 months to a couple of years...working very hard on disguises to make my camera bag look like it's not got anything valuable in it!

I'm trying to keep the kit as simple as possible. I have the 24-70L and the 70-200L, so just need a superwide to fit in there...and be small.

I think the 16-35L was actually smaller than the 17-40 L but also it was twice the price...and this stuff is going to get quite banged around...and the super wide will not be used all that much I think unless I use it on the 7d. I think for most purposes I think the 24 (on the 24-70) will be wide enough for most uses on the 6D.

veeco5150
Like?
In reply to dirkluchtman, Jan 29, 2013

thanks for the advice on the tokina as well. I actually now remember looking at this lens as an option and it seemed like a great lens and a perfect fit for the price. As mentioned here again, I was actually thinking again that this lens may be the one that I want....but the fact that it does not hold filters is a big deal as I love using filters in my landscape and also I remembered it being quite heavy and bulky. Great solid build and feel, but for a non essential lens I felt that I need something much more compact and lighter for the backpacking kit.

It's amazing how small and light the 16-35 2.8L is...but on my full frame it just has so much distortion and it's so much more pricey.

I love to hear the great comments on the 17-40 though! Makes me feel a lot better and that I have made the right purchase!

KAllen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,743Gear list
Like?
In reply to rowlandw, Jan 29, 2013

A couple of primes would be best quality wise. The 17-40mm is not a great lens, ok at best.

The 17-40 is good at resisting flare and holding detail into the shadows against the light. It's sharpest about 32mm and various degrees of adequate at other settings, distortion is not good either.

I've shot thousands of images with my 17-40mm but I still don't think it's as good as it should be, not in the Nikon class at the wide zoom range.

I don't know how the Sigma or Tamron stack up. I do have the older version of the Sigma 12-24mm, that only comes out when 12mm is a good idea, thankfully not very often as it's not especially sharp at any setting.I would like to give the newer version a try some day.

Kevin.

Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
In reply to KAllen, Jan 29, 2013

Try the Samyang 14mm f2.8. Even if you keep the 17-40L, 17 mm still isn't superwide. So a prime gives you more sharpness and in this case a lot more on the wide side I still have to try it but I read lot's of great reviews about it and it is next on my list.

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

dirkluchtman wrote:

But it cannot accept filters that defeats one important purpose of WA landscape lens.  It's also bulky.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/16-28mm.htm

17-40L with a 3-stop ND filter

17-40L is pretty good, sharp in most center areas and not bad in edges if you stop down. It's also pretty light and small.  A few more samples here

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 29, 2013

veeco5150 wrote:

thanks...I've heard it is an amazing lens! I do have the 24-70 2.8L though. I'd prefer primes, but I will be super budget backpacking in hostel dorms from anywhere from 3 months to a couple of years...working very hard on disguises to make my camera bag look like it's not got anything valuable in it!

I'm trying to keep the kit as simple as possible. I have the 24-70L and the 70-200L, so just need a superwide to fit in there...and be small.

I think the 16-35L was actually smaller than the 17-40 L but also it was twice the price...and this stuff is going to get quite banged around...and the super wide will not be used all that much I think unless I use it on the 7d. I think for most purposes I think the 24 (on the 24-70) will be wide enough for most uses on the 6D.

Backpacking, in hostels??  In my neck of the woods, "backpacking" means something completely different.

Are you taking everything you'll need to be self-sufficient in your backpack?  Clothing, food, stove, sleeping bag, etc?  Obviously you won't need a tent...

I use an Osprey Aether 70 liter pack when I go backpacking (which, here, means hiking several miles up a mountain and staying several nights in the wilderness).  I keep my camera in a camera bag inside the pack, and I pad it on all sides with the warm clothing I need.  To anyone else, it's invisible.  You would think the stuff in the pack is mostly unappealing food, a tent, some rope, and dirty wool clothes.  This might work for you as well.  A backpacking backpack screams "I'm going camping!" and not "I have an expensive camera for you to steal."

You don't actually need a bear canister...

Personally, I wouldn't take three multi-thousand-dollar L zooms on a trip like the one you're describing.  And the 16-35 L isn't small or light.  (I've had one.)  But it sounds like you have a good idea what's in store for you and what's going to work best.  I agree that 24 mm is probably wide enough for the great majority of shots on a full frame camera.

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,924Gear list
Like?
Try the canon lens forum, thats where i got shunted to.
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 29, 2013

When asking a question regarding lens.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
dirkluchtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
In reply to Muresan Bogdan, Jan 29, 2013

I heard the Samyang has extremely bad distortion, but great sharpness.

If you want ito use filters, you give up a lot of cheap sharpness and overall quality with the Tokina, but then the 17-40 is probably your choice. Did you check the Sigmas?

Here is a gallery with some Tokina 16-28 shots, check the vancouver gallary: http://dirkluchtman.zenfolio.com/p561113202/h53b2c75c#h53b2c75c

Or here:

http://dirkluchtman.zenfolio.com/

A lot of these were shot either with the Tokina or the Canon 70-200 f4IS.

Muresan Bogdan wrote:

Try the Samyang 14mm f2.8. Even if you keep the 17-40L, 17 mm still isn't superwide. So a prime gives you more sharpness and in this case a lot more on the wide side I still have to try it but I read lot's of great reviews about it and it is next on my list

Fedupandenglish
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?

How about the Voigtlander 20mm Color Skopar. It's tiny but not bad at all.

Fedupandenglish's gear list:Fedupandenglish's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
veeco5150
Like?
In reply to Forrest, Jan 30, 2013

love the backpack idea! Yeah, it's not the same kind of backpacking....so no tent and no food...but I basically keep all of my belongs that I will need for a year of hosteling around the world (guess that might be a better word than backpacking) in a rucksack like you have got there. I try a similar practice though and have a skateboard daypack that I try to keep all of my camera gear in...not as padded as a camera backpack, but still much better than traveling around with a Tamron branded bag or something.

Actually traveling with a skateboard seems to help the vagabond look and it's so much fun! So yes, I'm actually sacrificing some camera weight to add a skateboard to my gear. It's far better than walking.

And I wish I did not have to carry around thousands of dollars of lenses and bodies through hostels, but they do produce the best photographs...and I'm out there to photograph.

I'm signing onto the Professional Photographers Association and it sounds like they have gear coverage for $350 a year...I just hope I never have to use it! But I have not heard any bad stories yet about their insurance coverage.

jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
Canon 20-35 f2.8L used
In reply to veeco5150, Jan 30, 2013

The 20-35 2.8L is a great lens and you can find them used on eBay for around $500.

PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,863
Like?
Filters not a real issue.. if you're serious
In reply to qianp2k, Jan 30, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

dirkluchtman wrote:

But it cannot accept filters that defeats one important purpose of WA landscape lens. It's also bulky.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/16-28mm.htm

17-40L with a 3-stop ND filter

17-40L is pretty good, sharp in most center areas and not bad in edges if you stop down. It's also pretty light and small. A few more samples here

-- hide signature --

Not sure I'd agree on the "takes filters" requirement.   Yes, filters are used from time to time in wide angle landscape photography..  However, amongst serious landscape wide/ultrawide shooters, these filters more often than not are GNDs..  for which a filter thread is worthless, and you'd be using a Lee/Cokin type setup anyway.   Polarizers are kinda strange on UWAs, creating uneven blue skies.  NDs work, but again, if you're prepared to use a GND, you're prepared to not have to use a threaded filter anyway.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads