Review of the Pentax K5IIs

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688Gear list
Like?
Review of the Pentax K5IIs
Jan 25, 2013

Hi guys,

Ephotozine has just published it's review of the K5IIs, here's the link;                             http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-5-iis-digital-slr-review-21127

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,259Gear list
Like?
Re: Review of the Pentax K5IIs
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Jan 25, 2013

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi guys,

Ephotozine has just published it's review of the K5IIs, here's the link; http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-5-iis-digital-slr-review-21127

Very positive review.

The reviewer was only provided with consumer zooms. WTH is Pentax thinking? They couldn't supply a Limited, or even a prime? Ridiculous!

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zakaria
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618Gear list
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 25, 2013

supereb clarity..that is what Iam waiting!!

-- hide signature --

Pentaxian 4 ever!
Fuji S5 pro lover!!

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
Pls0421
Regular MemberPosts: 450
Like?

this sums up their write up:

Moire does not seem to be a problem, so a higher price than the II is all that remains as a barrier. Put it against the alternative though and it looks rather an amazing bargain. So does it make a difference? Yes, a significant difference. Is it worth the difference in price? Yes.

henning kraggerud
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
In reply to Pls0421, Jan 25, 2013

Maybe they didn't provide one of their best lenses for review due to moire?

To prevent moire like here on DPReview sample picture.

Actually moire is not a problem, and I havent seen it so far on mine, but if I were to show moire, I would certainly try DA* 55mm   or 77mm  at F4-f5.6 . where they are known to be best resolving.

-- hide signature --

lowlight macro ir

Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,459
Like?
Re: Review of the Pentax K5IIs: Agree with Conclusions

It was a very good review and mirrors my experience of the K5IIs vs the original K5.  IQ has definitely increased and moire doesn't seem to be an issue.  As a bonus, focus in low light and focus accuracy has improved.

Dale

petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 25, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

Very positive review.

The reviewer was only provided with consumer zooms. WTH is Pentax thinking? They couldn't supply a Limited, or even a prime? Ridiculous!

-- hide signature --

Dan

The reviewer runs the Pentax UK forums and no doubt owns or has access to any lens he wants. I imagine he used consumer zooms because he wanted to give as accurate an impression as he could of what an ordinary user would find in this camera when used with the lens it likely came with. He's made a couple of comments about his review and puts stress on keeping it simple and easy for the average reader. Besides, if the K5IIs shows superior IQ using a consumer zoom, which he says it does, it goes without saying that a high-end lens will show the better IQ even more. So it's no mistake and not ridiculous!

Mr_Cynical
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
In reply to petreluk, Jan 25, 2013

petreluk wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

Very positive review.

-- hide signature --

Dan

The reviewer runs the Pentax UK forums and no doubt owns or has access to any lens he wants. I imagine he used consumer zooms because he wanted to give as accurate an impression as he could of what an ordinary user would find in this camera when used with the lens it likely came with. He's made a couple of comments about his review and puts stress on keeping it simple and easy for the average reader. Besides, if the K5IIs shows superior IQ using a consumer zoom, which he says it does, it goes without saying that a high-end lens will show the better IQ even more. So it's no mistake and not ridiculous!

John is a nice guy, but this is a pretty bad review (bad in the sense 'badly done' - it's obviously positive about the camera). It fails to address the two most important questions about the K5 IIs: does it provide sufficiently improved image quality to justify the price difference compared to the K5 II (no comparison images are shown) , and how bad is the moire in situations when moire is likely to appear. Saying moire isn't a problem by taking pictures of non-patterned scenes with a consumer zoom is like saying that a camera is 'great in low light' when you've only tested it at midday in summer.

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,466Gear list
Like?
In reply to petreluk, Jan 25, 2013

petreluk wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

Very positive review.

-- hide signature --

Dan

The reviewer runs the Pentax UK forums and no doubt owns or has access to any lens he wants. I imagine he used consumer zooms because he wanted to give as accurate an impression as he could of what an ordinary user would find in this camera when used with the lens it likely came with. He's made a couple of comments about his review and puts stress on keeping it simple and easy for the average reader. Besides, if the K5IIs shows superior IQ using a consumer zoom,

it goes without saying that a high-end lens will show the better IQ even more. So it's no mistake and not ridiculous!

i dont think so, my sigma 18 200 can show just as much detail as my limiteds at f8. as far as iq goes the samsung nx 20 blows the k511s away with a kit lens.

cheers don

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr_Cynical, Jan 25, 2013

Mr_Cynical wrote:

It fails to address the two most important questions about the K5 IIs: [..] and how bad is the moire in situations when moire is likely to appear.

His 'moire test' seemed a bit weak - the repeating lines in the herring bone pattern were much further apart than the resolution limit.

-- hide signature --
petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to Mr_Cynical, Jan 25, 2013

Mr_Cynical wrote:

John is a nice guy, but this is a pretty bad review (bad in the sense 'badly done' - it's obviously positive about the camera). It fails to address the two most important questions about the K5 IIs: does it provide sufficiently improved image quality to justify the price difference compared to the K5 II (no comparison images are shown) , and how bad is the moire in situations when moire is likely to appear. Saying moire isn't a problem by taking pictures of non-patterned scenes with a consumer zoom is like saying that a camera is 'great in low light' when you've only tested it at midday in summer.

If you look at other reviews on this same site, I think you'll find that his one is in line with them. It's not a site for massive in-depth reviews - they are clearly trying to appeal to a fairly broad audience and do seem to aim to keep things simple. I agree that he should have addressed the question: is the K5IIs worth the premium price over the vanilla version? But beyond that I don't think it's a bad review. So far I haven't seen anyone give a convincing rundown of the moire situation. Moire clearly occurs but since it doesn't seem that easy to dial it up on demand, I guess it may not be much of a problem (though it is still a potential one to watch for, of course).

Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to henning kraggerud, Jan 25, 2013

I've had moire show up on the k5 classic, its a little blurry but its still there.  I would still take the k5IIs though as I miss the crispness of the images from the k10d.

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to Meuh, Jan 26, 2013

Meuh wrote:

I've had moire show up on the k5 classic, its a little blurry but its still there. I would still take the k5IIs though as I miss the crispness of the images from the k10d.

I'm not sure what you mean. The K-5 easily outresolves the K10D. Check the same lens tested on both at Photozone for proof.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads