Canon 5D - AI Servo settings for child/toddler Photography

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions
Myatix
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Canon 5D - AI Servo settings for child/toddler Photography
Jan 25, 2013

Hi All,

I am a junior photographer trying to build my experience within family and child/ toddler portraiture!

I recently brought a Canon 5D mark iii and was wondering if there where any pro's out there willing to share some settings with regards to their AI Servo settings when photographing kids!

Thanks for the help!

Myatix's gear list:Myatix's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ahender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?
Re: Canon 5D - AI Servo settings for child/toddler Photography
In reply to Myatix, Jan 25, 2013

You might want to try googling your topic.

I did and there are lots of pages than mention kids and AI SERVO with the 5D Mark III.

From everything I have read about AI SERVO and kids, it is hard to do because kids are so erratic in their movements.

What lens(es) are you using?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385Gear list
Like?
In reply to Myatix, Jan 25, 2013

Myatix wrote:

Hi All,

I am a junior photographer trying to build my experience within family and child/ toddler portraiture!

I recently brought a Canon 5D mark iii and was wondering if there where any pro's out there willing to share some settings with regards to their AI Servo settings when photographing kids!

Thanks for the help!

I just use single point and Case 1 when shooting my grandkids and have had pretty good luck.

The linked document containts a pretty comprehensive overview of the 5D3 AF system, including the various AI Servo Cases and settings.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/product/cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii/EOS_5D_Mark_III_AF_setting_guidebook.pdf

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Myatix
Like?
In reply to Ahender, Jan 25, 2013

Thanks for the reply!

In therms of lenses I use either a 50mm f1.4 or a 24-105 f4L  or  a 70-200 f4L...

Will have another look on Google but was just interested to hear if anyone had any other experience!

Cheers

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +2 more
Myatix
Like?
In reply to bhollis, Jan 25, 2013

Useful link  thanks!

chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,363
Like?
Any more good links for Canon documentation/teaching?
In reply to bhollis, Jan 27, 2013

Great link! Thank you. Are there more of these that you know of and would recommend from Canon?

John Vant Land
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to bhollis, Jan 27, 2013

After years of using single point I've switched to the nine central points of focus.  With single point, sometimes it covers an area without any contrast and for me I did not get accurate results when the lens was wide open.  With nine points, it finds the subject a little faster and for me, gives slightly more consistent results.

I agree with Case I.

bhollis wrote:

I just use single point and Case 1 when shooting my grandkids and have had pretty good luck.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying God and His Creation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads