Little help with Las Vegas photography please

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions
fare
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Little help with Las Vegas photography please
Jan 25, 2013

Suggestions.  Last time I was in Vegas, I had not yet been bitten so deeply by the photography bug and did not have my dslr to carry along......though I did have a p&s.

Not knowing anything about Vegas outside of the Strip, I wanted to know from locals or "knowing travelers" what landmarks I might want to consider for shooting while I am there....particularly, off the Strip.  Perhaps, anywhere within an hour's drive.  Don't know anything about the surrounding terrain, so any assistance will be appreciated.

Obviously, one could stay busy shooting the lights, buildings, archetecture, fountains, art forms, etc. on the Strip the whole time (and I am open to suggestions that the infrequent visitor might miss) but I wanted to know if there was something in the surrounding desert that should be on the list for consideration.

Thanks.

fare's gear list:fare's gear list
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 508
Like?
Re: Little help with Las Vegas photography please
In reply to fare, Jan 25, 2013

Red Rock Canyon, a national conservation area, is about 20 miles from the strip.  Very good western red rock geology, an easy one-way loop drive 15 miles long with turnouts at selected spots.  The first turnout is at a wall used by local hard rock climber clubs for practice and teaching on the weekends (if weather cooperates).  You can climb easy terrain to the side of the wall to get very good angles on the climbers if you want.  There are canyons that go back into the escarpment that offer some good hikes if you want.  Take I-215 from the strip around the west side of the city, exit at Charleston Blvd, and go west to the entrance.  $7 fee.

Valley of Fire State Park, about one hour's drive northeast from the strip on I-15 (easy drive).  Larger than Red Rock, more of the same.  If you go, take food and water with you, there's nothing out there.  A good full day of hiking and shooting to be had there.  There's a fee, but I don't know the amount.

Nelson - a ghost town southeast of Vegas.  Take US-95 south thru Henderson, and follow it when it turns due south between Henderson and Boulder City.  6 or 7 miles south of that turn is state road 165, which will take you to Nelson.  Lots of old stuff there to shoot - cars, buildings, 100 year old junk.  Can't get to the mine itself - closed to the public. No admission.

Don't know if you'd like wandering around Hoover Dam - some do, some don't.  There's a new bridge that bypasses the dam to expedite traffic flow. It has a small parking lot (watch for signs) next to it and there';s a sidewalk on the dam side of the bridge that offers good views of the dam and canyon.  You can also go on down to the dam itself.  They have a tour (not free) and several parking lots at different places around the dam and the lake behind it.

Have fun.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910
Like?
In reply to fare, Jan 25, 2013

The Hoover Dam by-pass bridge is spectacular. It is 1000ft above the river with a spectacular view of the Dam. And the view of the bridge from the Dam is a must-see as well.

If you have the time, Zion NP is 2 1/2 hr drive from Vegas. Google Angels Landing and Zion Narrows.

You might find some photo-ops at Fremont St in Vegas too.

-- hide signature --

img7d

fare
Like?
Re: Little help Thanks bflood
In reply to bflood, Jan 26, 2013

Thanks for the info.

Have been to Hoover.  Think I will aim for one of the other locations.

Was thinking that sunrise or sunsets might be nice there.

fare
Like?
In reply to ktownbill, Jan 26, 2013

Last time I was Hoover, they were working on the by-pass, but I have not seen it since it was finished.

Appreciate the input.

HuntingSand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to fare, Jan 26, 2013

fare wrote:

Suggestions. Last time I was in Vegas, I had not yet been bitten so deeply by the photography bug and did not have my dslr to carry along......though I did have a p&s.

Not knowing anything about Vegas outside of the Strip, I wanted to know from locals or "knowing travelers" what landmarks I might want to consider for shooting while I am there....particularly, off the Strip. Perhaps, anywhere within an hour's drive. Don't know anything about the surrounding terrain, so any assistance will be appreciated.

Obviously, one could stay busy shooting the lights, buildings, archetecture, fountains, art forms, etc. on the Strip the whole time (and I am open to suggestions that the infrequent visitor might miss) but I wanted to know if there was something in the surrounding desert that should be on the list for consideration.

Thanks.

If you want to stay urban, check out the mural art up on Commerce and Main, really interesting scenes. Johnny Tocco's old gym is still there (where Mike Tyson trained, among others), too. Further up near the outlet mall is an extraordinary piece of architecture by Frank Gehry, sitting right across from an equally interesting assembly of Pueblo-style structures. Take a look at http://hahn.zenfolio.com/las_vegas for a quick intro to this area and its sites.
If you have (plenty of) time, consider taking the "Intergalactical Highway" up to Tonopah.
And Lake Mead has a specifically designated "Sunset" spot, that might be of interest, too.
--
Photographic collections at http://hahn.zenfolio.com

KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to fare, Jan 26, 2013

There is a visitor center at Red Rock. Here is a link and you can get a trail map there.

http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/

I used to like to take the Calico Springs and the Turtlehead Peak trails. You get to them from the same parking lot.

I'd go to the Venetian and go upstairs and you'll think you're in Venice Italy (not really, but you can imagine). They've got gondolas and everything.

Also, I can't remember the name of the place, but it's near the end of the strip and downtown, but there's a nice park with interesting things that was a wastewater treatment plant. Lots of photo opps. Flowers, windmill, stone exhibits, etc. Maybe somebody will respond with the name.

If you had a day or two, Death Valley would be great. Or Zion and Bryce like someone else mentioned.

I've been to Nelson and I'd only do it if you run out of things to do. It's quite a way from LV and not much else to see around there.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads