Simple OMD versus GH3.

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Simple OMD versus GH3.
Jan 25, 2013

Found this, don't know if it was already posted, but I liked the simple comparison and the samples. It is not a deep comparison but it is good enough to decide on each we like or need better.

Click here to open the OMD versus GH3 comparison

I think the IQ is very similar, the big differences is on the color output that OMD have a bit more appeal than on the result, but GH3 colors to me are more neutral and accurate at least with the settings done on the comparison, and on the GH3 video, that is better.

Really good to have these two superb cameras on the Micro 4/3 System. And the beauty is that we have a very good range of native system lenses with high IQ in general, at good prices. And the possibilities of an never ending range of choices on legacy lenses.

Seeing this two side by side and knowing the features of both, gives more will to buy both as a professional system.

The argument size is well showed here.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple OMD versus GH3.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jan 25, 2013

I felt the same on seeing these two side by side.

Maybe one day I will have both.

I had not seen this comparison before, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Photo Grapher, Jan 25, 2013

Photo Grapher wrote:

I felt the same on seeing these two side by side.

Maybe one day I will have both.

I had not seen this comparison before, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Yes, I am having a consumer "fever", I am already seeing prices and where to buy better. But is only a bit of dreaming for now.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: About the sensors.

The sensor are not the same I think, (I was told by a Panasonic Lumix guy that are not equal.) look at the different low ISO.

Panasonic Lumix GH3

• GH3 ISO range (extended to 125 + 25600)ISO 
  • OMD range (Lowest ISO200) 

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,034Gear list
Like?
What are you trying to say?

If you're trying to understand why the E-M5 has garnered so much attention vs the GH3, I think this thread covers that:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50728737

The GH3 has a "Been there, done that twice before" history, so it's not going to garner as much attention as the E-M5 has gotten as a totally new product.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
dgnelson
Contributing MemberPosts: 654
Like?

It would be a fairer comparison if both cameras had the same lens fitted.

Dan

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,980Gear list
Like?

Having standard connections on the GH-3 is great, PC connection for strobes, standard connection for external mic.

If you came from a SLR or DSLR sure the GH-3 is the size but the weight is still less. Going from the GF-1 to the GX-1 right away you notice the better grip and it looks like the same, the OMD looks more challenging or not as comfortable as the GH-3.

The GH-3 is the first camera I am not using with a permanent camera strap that is how comfortable it is. I do have a Black Rapid strap for the GH-3 that can be attached and removed quickly.  Shooting video is nice to get that strap out of the way especially if you have other cables plugged into the camera.

For that once off need having a built in flash is nice that is what also makes the GH-3 taller. Sure get rid of the flash on the GH-3 and make the grip smaller its an OMD size camera.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

Size wise I think Panasonic is going the wrong direction...the next generation will be even larger? The main reason for me to buy into m4/3 was size....I wish they would make M4/3 smaller not bigger.

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Mike_PEAT
Like?
None of the reviewers can agree on the sensors...

The link posted in the OP says the sensors on both cameras are "Live MOS" which is Panasonic's NMOS sensor technology.

But DPReview says that both cameras are CMOS which is Sony's sensor technology.

Who's right?

Then again many keep referring to the OLED screen as "the LCD."

Lytro Light Field 16GB
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: None of the reviewers can agree on the sensors...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jan 25, 2013

Mike_PEAT wrote:

The link posted in the OP says the sensors on both cameras are "Live MOS" which is Panasonic's NMOS sensor technology.

Who's right?

I think the reason is that Live MOS is a licensed name that can be used with any sensor brand. It is just a name.

Initially Live MOS sensors were hybrid, using CCD and CMOS features. Don't know how is now, but they may have changed for CMOS only.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: I guess you are right.
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jan 25, 2013

Mike_PEAT wrote:

If you're trying to understand why the E-M5 has garnered so much attention vs the GH3, I think this thread covers that:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50728737

The GH3 has a "Been there, done that twice before" history, so it's not going to garner as much attention as the E-M5 has gotten as a totally new product.

I guess you are right, the GH3 will have not the same attention the OMD got, at on the forums and sites. The OMD was the first pro and showing good results. It is a kind like the first Micro 4/3 camera the Panasonic Lumix G1. And thank you for the thread.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to dgnelson, Jan 25, 2013

dgnelson wrote:

It would be a fairer comparison if both cameras had the same lens fitted.

Dan

True, I noticed that.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Jan 25, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

Having standard connections on the GH-3 is great, PC connection for strobes, standard connection for external mic.

If you came from a SLR or DSLR sure the GH-3 is the size but the weight is still less. Going from the GF-1 to the GX-1 right away you notice the better grip and it looks like the same, the OMD looks more challenging or not as comfortable as the GH-3.

The GH-3 is the first camera I am not using with a permanent camera strap that is how comfortable it is. I do have a Black Rapid strap for the GH-3 that can be attached and removed quickly. Shooting video is nice to get that strap out of the way especially if you have other cables plugged into the camera.

Yes, the first thing I noticed on the GH3 was the superb ergonomics and many Fn buttons.

Both have their strong points.

For that once off need having a built in flash is nice that is what also makes the GH-3 taller. Sure get rid of the flash on the GH-3 and make the grip smaller its an OMD size camera.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Boris, Jan 25, 2013

Boris wrote:

Size wise I think Panasonic is going the wrong direction...the next generation will be even larger? The main reason for me to buy into m4/3 was size....I wish they would make M4/3 smaller not bigger.

Good image to see that. The GH3 is almost the size of a good DSLR. For some this will be a plus, depends on personal taste.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

paultakeda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782
Like?
WiFi should be Wireless, and there you have the PenPal.

The PenPal has been pretty useful, considering it's sort of a gimmick and a bit of a dodo bird in the tree of tech, but it's still a wireless feature via AP2 and since they mention the port for the mic the PenPal deserves a note.

But wow... that GH3 looks huge when side by side, and it's not even all that big a body!

idiotekniQues
Senior MemberPosts: 1,235
Like?
click the link, they show them both with no lens attached
In reply to dgnelson, Jan 25, 2013
-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

Mike_PEAT
Like?
NMOS is a type of MOS semiconductor..

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Who's right?

I think the reason is that Live MOS is a licensed name that can be used with any sensor brand. It is just a name.

Initially Live MOS sensors were hybrid, using CCD and CMOS features. Don't know how is now, but they may have changed for CMOS only.

Yes, Live MOS is the licensed name, but the technology is NMOS or N-type Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS is Complimentary MOS, and there's also P-type MOS or PMOS electronics out there).

NMOS sensors had the (then) quality of CCD with telower power consumption of CMOS. Of couse today manufacturers have learned how to overcome the natural inherant noise of CMOS.

Lytro Light Field 16GB
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Found this, don't know if it was already posted, but I liked the simple comparison and the samples. It is not a deep comparison but it is good enough to decide on each we like or need better.

Of course it has been posted:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50046659
You are 3 months late with this thread. Just as GH3 was 9 months late coming with image quality close to OM-D.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
jwg63
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?
In reply to Boris, Jan 25, 2013

Boris wrote:

Size wise I think Panasonic is going the wrong direction...the next generation will be even larger?

Doubtful.  They made it larger to be more comfortable in the hand.  As long as people's hands don't suddenly get larger, I think the GH3 is as big as they need it to be.

The main reason for me to buy into m4/3 was size....I wish they would make M4/3 smaller not bigger.

Well, there are three smaller camera lines (G, GX and GF), and that's just counting Panasonic.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to micksh6, Jan 25, 2013

micksh6 wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Of course it has been posted:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50046659
You are 3 months late with this thread. Just as GH3 was 9 months late coming with image quality close to OM-D.

Oh. But now we know more about the cameras.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads