Filters for P7700

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions
DHviidR
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Filters for P7700
Jan 24, 2013

Howdy!

I'm gonna be purchasing the P7700 in about a week as soon as I get my next paycheck I also wanna get the circular polarizer for it, after seeing a few sample shots taken with it on!

1 thing that's confusing me though, is that 1 website says i need a 40.5mm circular polarizing filter and another says i need a 58mm circular polarizing filter... Which one is the one I need for the P7700??

Are there other filters that I can get for the P7700? (like a fisheye, for ex)

Also, do any of you know where I can buy it online (preferribly a european (danish or british) online store.

Thanks in advance!

Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: Filters for P7700
In reply to DHviidR, Jan 24, 2013

DHviidR wrote:

Howdy!

I'm gonna be purchasing the P7700 in about a week as soon as I get my next paycheck I also wanna get the circular polarizer for it, after seeing a few sample shots taken with it on!

1 thing that's confusing me though, is that 1 website says i need a 40.5mm circular polarizing filter and another says i need a 58mm circular polarizing filter... Which one is the one I need for the P7700??

Are there other filters that I can get for the P7700? (like a fisheye, for ex)

Also, do any of you know where I can buy it online (preferribly a european (danish or british) online store.

Thanks in advance!

A 40.5 mm filter gets attached directly to the lens - you do not need any additional accessories for this. However, if you want to use larger filter sizes (maybe you already have some from your other cameras), then you also need a step-up ring between the lens and the filter. Step-up ring must be of correct size with 40.5 mm male thread on the camera side and a XX mm female thread on the filter size (to accommodate a XX mm filter).

58 mm filters can also be attached to the front of the lens hood designed for the P7700 (which you will have to get first - it is a good idea to have one because P7700 is prone to lens flare at wide settings). Lens hood attaches directly to the lens (the same as 40.5 mm filters) and it has a 58 mm female thread at the front to accept filters of this size.

A fisheye would be an additional lens (or converter) - if it exists at all - which would be much heavier than a filter. So no, you should not attach anything this heavy directly to the lens (or lens hood) since it would introduce an excessive radial stress to the lens mechanism, possibly damaging it.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards, T.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
johnh2007
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to DHviidR, 11 months ago

Definitely the 40.5mm. Works brilliantly.

Terrier989
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
In reply to johnh2007, 11 months ago

Yep it does,and if you have one with male and female threads you can still attach the lens hood.

If you want to add a heavylens you need to use the tube system, you remove the body ring and attach an "extension tube to the body", I have the telephoto see her

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51413541

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51477905

terrier

richard cohen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
In reply to DHviidR, 11 months ago

I use the p7700 with the lens hood and have a few filters for it...have a uv, cpl and a close up. I am probably going to sell the latter two, not because I don't like them, but because I mostly use the camera on mtb rides and don't like to change lenses or filters when I am riding...which is why I ditched my v1 for the 7700 in the first place.

richard cohen's gear list:richard cohen's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +6 more
SamD
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to Terrier989, 11 months ago

Terrier989

Where have you got extension tubes for P7700?

What is the brand and model of teleconverter you attached to tubes?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads