Printing problem in Win 7

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Questions
William Pesch
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Printing problem in Win 7
Jan 24, 2013

In Win 7 with network, Home Group, I have 4 computers working.  With sharing, each computer can see the other computers and save and copy files from one to the other, with no problems.

Each computer has attached to it a USB printer, which works perfectly when activated from its attached computer.  All the computers have set up the sharing of its printer onto the network.

Some of the computers can see the shared printers (and some can't ???).  Even though the computers that can see the printer attached to another computer, the printers won't print files sent to them.  The sending computer's print que shows the files to be printed, but the printer does not print the files.

When I had Win XP, I had the same network system and printer sharing and all worked as expected.

What am I missing and not doing correctly?

Thank you,

-- hide signature --

Gritty

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,559
Like?
Re: Printing problem in Win 7
In reply to William Pesch, Jan 24, 2013

I feel for you.

I can't offer you much immediate help. But maybe this will be helpful over the longer term and useful to others who may read this thread.

I spent several years struggling with printer sharing. After trying lots of pseudo random stuff, I'd get it working. And a few weeks later it would inexplicably stop. It drove me nuts. I thought things had improved at Win 7 but I'm not entirely surprised to hear someone is having all of those same old frustrations.

In any event, one of the best things I ever did was to ditch printer sharing completely. I will never buy a printer that doesn't have an Ethernet port. Put the printer on the LAN. Then you can print from any computer on your network including those connected via WiFi. You will need to install the printer driver on each machine. But after that it just works and, more importantly,  stays working.

All of those old problems just went away, permanently, and I was magically transported to printer heaven!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
migibson99
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: Printing problem in Win 7

My solution is an old fashioned one.  I have a docked laptop on the upper level, a desktop on the main level and a desktop on the lower level.  I have a printer physically attached to each one.  The good news is that all the computers can see all the printers (just through Windows 7 networking), so theoretically I could go with a one printer setup.  I actually did have to do that for a few days when 2 of the printers ran out of ink at the same time, and I didn't have any spares on hand.  The problems that I had were:

-Constantly running upstairs or downstairs to retrieve printing.

-Thinking a print job was complete, but then finding out that the machine was out of paper.

-I have 2 kids and there are times when all of us are on one of the computers.  I found myself having to yell "PRINTING!" to let them know that a print job was coming.

-There were times when I needed to print out a quick document, but the printer was tied up printing out 50 pages of "Sponge Bob's Guide to Better Living" (not a real book, but you get the point).

-At least once I needed to use legal size paper so I had to go downstairs, change the paper, go back upstairs to print, then go back downstairs to retrieve my printing.

Overall, I know its not the most cost efficient printing set up to have a printer attached to each computer, but it is the most time efficient, and is the easiest to use.  I also have one other laptop that moves around the house depending on who is using it, and we just print to whatever printer we happen to be near at the time.  I never print from my Ipad, so I've never even looked at how that might work.

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,370
Like?
Do you have WiFi?

We have excellent luck with a Canon inkjet printer/scanner/fax that is easily accessible from all our computers, including Mac.

Do you have a WiFi router, and are any of your existing printers WiFi capable?

William Pesch
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you have WiFi?
In reply to CAcreeks, Jan 24, 2013

Thanks guys.

Don't have WiFi, but the printer does have Ethernet.  So, I attached an Ethernet cable to the printer and the other end in to a spare port on my router and did the "Add Printer" thing and now the printer is working fine.

Did not realize that the printer had this capability, until you mentioned it.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Gritty

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,900
Like?
May God bless the geek that thought of combining Wifi and Printers!
In reply to CAcreeks, Jan 25, 2013

It has made printing from all sorts of devices not only possible, but easy!

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads