Paper for greetings cards

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Questions
bazhogan
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Paper for greetings cards
Jan 24, 2013

Hello

A friend wants to make greeting cards where she can print straight on to semi gloss paper but be able to write on the reverse side in pencil or ink. The reverse side (ie non printing side) would therefore need to be mat/normal card without a coating.

The weight of the paper would also need to be 220gsm, or heavier, to be rigid enough to stand when folded.

Can anyone suggest a paper (papers) that would be suitable for this purpose?

Regards,

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
GDB
GDB
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
Re: Paper for greetings cards
In reply to bazhogan, Jan 24, 2013

Easy, easy answer.  Go to www.redriverpaper.com who have all sorts of papers for cards of all types.  I have been using several different papers for greeting, X-mas, birthday, etc. cards for years.  They have several types to suit your needs.  BTW, I don't work for Red River, I just am a happy user.

Gary

GDB's gear list:GDB's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623Gear list
Like?
Re: Paper for greetings cards
In reply to GDB, Jan 24, 2013

Red River's Pecos River Gloss is very good for projects like this.  It's also available pre-scored for folding.

Roy Sletcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 823
Like?
The OP is in Australia!!!

Agreed that RR Card blanks are good value, but  the shipping to Australia may be prohibitive. You can always ask.

I use them, and the freight to Canada is expensive, but manageable with a reasonably large order .

When asking questions of this nature on an international forum is is always best to indicate location, unless purchasing from a US or European vendor is acceptable.

Just my 2 cents.

RS

bazhogan
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
I am in Australia
In reply to Roy Sletcher, Jan 24, 2013

Hello again

That's correct - I am in Australia Red River would be expensive to import.  I was hoping there would be a more international brand like Epson, Canon etc who had an appropriate paper.

Are there any other suggestions?

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,509
Like?
Re: I am in Australia

bazhogan wrote:

Hello again

That's correct - I am in Australia Red River would be expensive to import. I was hoping there would be a more international brand like Epson, Canon etc who had an appropriate paper.

Are there any other suggestions?

Any C1S (coated one side), non-RC (resin coated, read plastic coated) paper should work fine, as long as it is smooth enough to write on. Most standard glossy and semi-glossy (lustre, satin, pearl) papers are resin coated and very difficult to write on. You would have much more luck with fine art papers.

I have seen some Museo papers available in Aus, and they do prescored cards.
http://www.museofineart.com/index.php/products/

I have used Inkpress Duo 80 Matte 80 (215 gsm), which also comes in prescored cards. It is a bit flimsy, but even though it is C2S, writing on it hasn't been a problem - I don't know about Aus availability.
http://www.inkpresspaper.com/profiles.asp?PaperID=41

Both Canson and Hahnemühle do smooth matte fine art papers in the 220 gsm range, but I haven’t tried them for card stock.

I think, if you look, there will be a lot available in matte (mat, matt), but you will be lucky to find something with a gloss or semi-glossy surface on one side, except for Red River. Red River must get their stock from somewhere, because they don't make paper.

Brian A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads