Thanks to you guys,

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
Thanks to you guys,
Jan 23, 2013

I have decided to trade my 5D MKII straight up for an X-E1 or just sell it for 1,400 to buy an X-E1 and kit zoom.  I finally have accepted that I was just dreaming about starting a portrait business and I have finally come down to earth.  My daughter won't even let me practice on her anymore and my photography has devolved down to taking pics out my car window pr walking at the park, and this massive FF beast is so overkill for that.  Anyone who wants to go FF and has an X-E1 with kit zoom let me know, my add is in the sale section.  Thanks to all those posting reviews and pics here, you helped me make my decision and I hope to be joinin you with some soon.

Thanks

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,970Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks to you guys,
In reply to guitarjeff, Jan 24, 2013

Best of luck with the sale and new purchase - you're riding the wave Jeff 

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?

I did buy the X-E1 with kit lens and 35 mm f1.4 to supplement my Canon 5D MKII and 5D MKIII; so I sympathize with you.

However, I think you are giving up too soon on becoming a portrait photographer.  I am retired but do enough portraits to pay for my equipment, ca $6,000 per your for a couple hours work per week.  You just need a different group of subjects.  I found that the most willing group of subjects are wannabe models.  I was able to get plenty of subjects by advertising on Craigslist and Model Mayhem.  All shoots were done on a TF basis, meaning that I didn't pay the models and they didn't pay me, but we both got nice pictures for our portfolios as you can see on my pbase site, www.pbase.com/jcassatt.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,949Gear list
Like?

According to your gear equipment you might consider to keep some EF lenses

I just got my Kipon EF to XF dadaptor ring  and now I can use some of my EOS glass, manually of course but the very good EVF allows satisfactory MF with the magnifier

Since the XF 55-200mm will come late this year my 70-200mm f4 will do the job in the meantime

The 100mm 2.8 macro works very well manually

And the old 100-400mm plus the extender on a tripod will be ideal at 840mm equiv for (non moving) birds such guillemots in the cliffs

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, Jan 26, 2013

Hope we can work something out Jeff, I think you will absolutely love the quality of the Fuji X system. The glass is flat out ridiculous

cageyfella
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
In reply to baobob, Jan 26, 2013

Just got my Ex1 yesterday and i have some L glass i'd be very interested to use.  How much is the Kipon?. Have you got any image samples you could share from you canon lenses?  I' m dreaming of putting my 85mm 1.2 on the X!:-D

baobob wrote:

According to your gear equipment you might consider to keep some EF lenses

I just got my Kipon EF to XF dadaptor ring and now I can use some of my EOS glass, manually of course but the very good EVF allows satisfactory MF with the magnifier

Since the XF 55-200mm will come late this year my 70-200mm f4 will do the job in the meantime

The 100mm 2.8 macro works very well manually

And the old 100-400mm plus the extender on a tripod will be ideal at 840mm equiv for (non moving) birds such guillemots in the cliffs

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

rgb vandal
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, Jan 26, 2013

I'm following close behind although my 7D is going nowhere.

This Fuji X-Trans sensor thing is insane. Ok, some short comings but amazing plusses. Way too good to pass up. Can't wait for the next version of the XPro and Xe1. 24MP???

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads