Melbourne night photos with K-5 & Tamron 70-200mm. WB question.

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
Kyogle
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
Melbourne night photos with K-5 & Tamron 70-200mm. WB question.
Jan 23, 2013

These were taken from an apartment in South Yarra looking towards Melbourne's CBD. Although I am happy enough with them I am wondering whether AWB was the most appropriate setting. What WB would you normally use under such circumstances? Thanks.

-- hide signature --

David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland a few months each year.

Kyogle's gear list:Kyogle's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +7 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
afterswish1
Contributing MemberPosts: 607
Like?
Re: Melbourne night photos with K-5 & Tamron 70-200mm. WB question.
In reply to Kyogle, Jan 23, 2013

I posted a thread asking a similar question, and I think the consensus was that at night with mixed lighting you can choose what you like best!

You could go with a white balance that for you gives the most 'realistic' scene, or that suits your artistic goals for the shot. I rather like the results you got in those two images with it on auto.

-- hide signature --

Beauty and folly are old companions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Venables
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063
Like?
In reply to Kyogle, Jan 24, 2013

It is difficult with mixed lighting like that but I like the effect you have with the photos shown.  I think it comes down to taste more than anything else.

This is where shooting in Raw helps as it gives you more room to change the WB.

-- hide signature --

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/213/448093203_0e1da1cb0e_t.jpg
John V
K5 K10D Pentax 18-55WR, Tamron90DImacro, Zenitar, Tamron 200-500(screw mount)

Using K100D Super and Panasonic ZS3
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Venables, Jan 24, 2013

Adjusted image

Hi Kyogle

With mixed lighting, different parts of an image may or may not be to your liking. There may be no WB that could make all parts of the image appear as you wish. If this is the case the part of the image that appears incorrect can be adjusted separately from the rest of the image.

For example (and this is just my opinion) the color and luminance of the sky in the first image looks incorrect for the rest of the image (a night scene). It''s too bright and colorful. I took the liberty to adjust the image to my liking and uploaded it as an example. (This is only my second posting and I'm not sure if I can upload my example).

In addition to keeping the first image content as is, have you considered creating a duplicate image and cropping it where the image is of the buildings or just the upper parts of the buildings and a small portion of the sky?

Using K100D Super and Panasonic ZS3's gear list:Using K100D Super and Panasonic ZS3's gear list
Pentax K-5
Jonathan Lee
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?

if u like the color film look, try the ultra complicated ... daylight balance.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Jon.

Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,373Gear list
Like?

That Tamron is a winner! Particularly so with the screw drive in the Pentax mount!

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Kyogle
Like?
In reply to Using K100D Super and Panasonic ZS3, Jan 25, 2013

Thanks for your helpful comments. Much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland a few months each year.

Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +7 more
Kyogle
Like?
In reply to Using K100D Super and Panasonic ZS3, Jan 25, 2013

Using K100D Super and Panasonic ZS3 wrote:

Adjusted image

Hi Kyogle

With mixed lighting, different parts of an image may or may not be to your liking. There may be no WB that could make all parts of the image appear as you wish. If this is the case the part of the image that appears incorrect can be adjusted separately from the rest of the image.

For example (and this is just my opinion) the color and luminance of the sky in the first image looks incorrect for the rest of the image (a night scene). It''s too bright and colorful. I took the liberty to adjust the image to my liking and uploaded it as an example. (This is only my second posting and I'm not sure if I can upload my example).

In addition to keeping the first image content as is, have you considered creating a duplicate image and cropping it where the image is of the buildings or just the upper parts of the buildings and a small portion of the sky?

Thanks for this. Actually the sky in the first photo is basically how it was. I took the photo before it was really dark and there was still plenty of colour in the sky. When it became totally dark I stopped taking photos.

-- hide signature --

andrew britten
Contributing MemberPosts: 900Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kyogle, Jan 25, 2013

Hi Kyogle

Any Melbourne shots I've done under these lighting conditions have the same look to them as yours and I always love the way the sky renders.

AWB balance on the K-5 is the best approach I feel.

Did you shoot raw?

If so the raws are immensely tuneable. Having said that, mucking around with balance in post doesn't give any better result than out of camera, other than a bit of tweaking here and there.

S, I reckon you got it right.

AB

andrew britten's gear list:andrew britten's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 +1 more
Kyogle
Like?
In reply to andrew britten, Jan 25, 2013

Yes

andrew britten wrote:

Hi Kyogle

Any Melbourne shots I've done under these lighting conditions have the same look to them as yours and I always love the way the sky renders.

AWB balance on the K-5 is the best approach I feel.

Did you shoot raw?

If so the raws are immensely tuneable. Having said that, mucking around with balance in post doesn't give any better result than out of camera, other than a bit of tweaking here and there.

S, I reckon you got it right.

AB

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I shot RAW and Jpg but only processed the jpg for these shots. I played around with WB in Silkypix Pro 5 but didn't like the results any better than simply using camera's AWB.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads