Canon IPF6400 Printer

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
susishke
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Canon IPF6400 Printer
In reply to sjphoto, Mar 17, 2013

Printing with border Sal.   
Thanks for your thoughts SJPhoto.  Another incicdent came to light and am very grateful to the guy concerned for his honesty.  Last Thursday made a final call to the Canon chap who has been helping me throughout all of this.  We were arranging the collection of my 6400 and my refund.  He said that earlier in the week his office had to print a large image for a client.  He has had a 6300 in his office for the last two years and apparently it has always worked perfectly.   On this particular day the print was produced and it was only when they went to roll it up that they realised there was a line going across the full length of the back of it.  He was shocked as they've never had any probs. before.  Apparently they tried different tricks to rectify the prob. but to no avail; their 6300 is now producing the line on the back of prints.   I was really grateful to him for this info. as I had wondered if I could get a 6400 without any probs. it would be prob. be okay from then on.  As he said whose to say that it won't kick in at a later date tho'.... as it has with his.  He was really apologetic.  Canon need to deal with this - it's not fair on folk and there are many dealers still unaware of the prob.  Have now placed my order for the Epson 7900 - I know it has heaps of good reviews and have had personal recommendation, but I had my heart set on the  Canon.   Am really pleased that all is well with your Canon SJPhoto and I truly hope you've got a goodie and that it stays that way.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sjphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
In reply to susishke, Mar 17, 2013

Well, I think with all these printers, their is the possibility of something going wrong. The more I use mine the more I see how sophisticated they are. The only problem i ran into so far was with very thick curly near the end of the roll printing. Once I increased vacuum and head strike distance it cleared some faint ink lines on the unprinted border of the image, which would only appear in the first inch or so of a new print. This was a quick fix and had nothing to do with any inherent problems of the printer. It was nice to know these adjustments are available for precisely this problem. For me so far everything is smooth sailing. Of course I have only been  printing with it for about a month, so time will tell. I'll relay anything that might be relevant to others as time goes by.

Edwin K
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, Mar 18, 2013

Printing with borders, also, Sal

-- hide signature --

Ed Knight

Tony Bonanno
Contributing MemberPosts: 717Gear list
Like?
In reply to susishke, Mar 18, 2013

Lines on the back have been a problem for many of us.  Had the problem at times with my IPF6300's (two of them).  Finally traced to the vacuum holes near the paper border.  I figured out a way to "tape" over the holes without interfering with the paper or head movement and that seemed to cure the problem.  Problem didn't occur on all my papers.  At some point I removed the "tape" (can't remember why). For some unknown reason, the black lines have disappeared on their own.  Wish I know why.  Overall, I've had 4 wide format Canon printers.  Have no desire to go back to Epson (other than a 3880 I use for cards and small stuff).

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP General member
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2
sjphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
In reply to Tony Bonanno, Mar 18, 2013

No lines on the back, just on part of a border on non border less prints and only at the end of roll paper where there is a lot tightness to the roll paper. Nothing until near the end of a roll and nothing on sheet fed paper.

Uimeas
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to sjphoto, Mar 27, 2013

Hmm not bad

Bill T
Contributing MemberPosts: 670
Like?
In reply to old_dog, Apr 1, 2013

Hi Rollin,

Don't even think about getting the 7899. I have one for over two years; it is nothing but problem. It clogs constantly. Some nozzles will develop a clog in the middle of a print job. Finally

the clog is so bad it cannot be cleaned using the normal methods. I got so disgusted with it I bought an IPF 6400 last month. Even though I have the Canon for a month, the difference between the two printers is  night and day. Now, my only prayer is that I can sell the 7900 for scrap so some one can haul it away.

Just my experience. Hope it helps you.

Bill.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads