Canon IPF6400 Printer

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
old_dog
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?
Canon IPF6400 Printer
Jan 23, 2013

I currently have an Epson SP4000 and am getting tired of dealing with the ink clogs.  The constant work to keep it cleared wastes a lot of expensive ink.  I am looking at a new printer and am considering the Canon IPF6400.

First, I am looking for user experience from anyone who has this (or other IPF) printer.

Second, I have a specific question regarding paper size.  I currently print greeting cards in addition to regurlar prints.  The paper stock is 7x10 inches.  Canon says that 8 inches is the minimum width for the printer.  For the Epson, they basically siad the same thing but you could disable the paper size checking and the printer handled the card stock just fine.  Does anyone know if the Canon IPF printers will also let you get away with a 7 inch wide paper?  I could maybe try turning the paper so it feeds as 10 inches wide but, depending on the paper feed path, this might put a curl in the already prescored paper plus the leading/trailing margin requirements would most likely mess with the ability to print the full image.  Right now I have to arrange the image so that the leading edge on the card allows for the startup feed margin on my Epson.

Thanks

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,749Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon IPF6400 Printer
In reply to old_dog, Jan 23, 2013

old_dog wrote:

I currently have an Epson SP4000 and am getting tired of dealing with the ink clogs. The constant work to keep it cleared wastes a lot of expensive ink. I am looking at a new printer and am considering the Canon IPF6400.

First, I am looking for user experience from anyone who has this (or other IPF) printer.

Second, I have a specific question regarding paper size. I currently print greeting cards in addition to regurlar prints. The paper stock is 7x10 inches. Canon says that 8 inches is the minimum width for the printer. For the Epson, they basically siad the same thing but you could disable the paper size checking and the printer handled the cards  stock just fine. Does anyone know if the Canon IPF printers will also let you get away with a 7 inch wide paper? I could maybe try turning the paper so it feeds as 10 inches wide but, depending on the paper feed path, this might put a curl in the already prescored paper plus the leading/trailing margin requirements would most likely mess with the ability to print the full image. Right now I have to arrange the image so that the leading edge on the card allows for the startup feed margin on my Epson.

Thanks

The ipf6400's long list of advanced features and excellent print quality would make it a great choice if you want to move up to a 24-inch printer.  If you don't need the bigger size or roll paper, theEpson Pro  3880 would be a good choice.  With rebate they're only $899 (free shipping) and they are well-known for being clog-free, low maintainance machines.

I've had mine for 3 years with zero clogging problems.  I'm going to be buying an ipf6400 because I need larger prints and I don't want to mess with the head cleaning/printing routines and head clogs in the Epson large format printers.  Somehow Epson got it right with the 3880.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
old_dog
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, Jan 24, 2013

Sorry, I should have mentioned it in the origianl post.  I am looking to move from the 17 inch wide printer category to the 24 inch wide.  I have been debating between the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 and the Canon IPF6400.

I have had the Epson SP4000 for several years and the clogging has been a real issue from shortly after I bought it.  You either have to print several times a week or burn ink clearing the clogs.  Nothing I have read on the various Epson forums indicates that this has changed with the newer generations of their printers.

So I still need feedback from people who use the Canon wide format printers and, specifically the question about handling small paper stock that is under the listed 8x10 inch specification Canon lists as the minimum size.

Rollin

Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,139
Like?
In reply to old_dog, Jan 24, 2013

old_dog wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned it in the origianl post. I am looking to move from the 17 inch wide printer category to the 24 inch wide. I have been debating between the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 and the Canon IPF6400.

I have had the Epson SP4000 for several years and the clogging has been a real issue from shortly after I bought it. You either have to print several times a week or burn ink clearing the clogs. Nothing I have read on the various Epson forums indicates that this has changed with the newer generations of their printers.

So I still need feedback from people who use the Canon wide format printers and, specifically the question about handling small paper stock that is under the listed 8x10 inch specification Canon lists as the minimum size.

Rollin

My iPF5100 will allow 7x10 media through the top manual feeder tray, in portrait orientation only, as 8" is the minimum height allowed. No reason to suspect the 6400 differs here. But you will be limited to single sheet feeding with either printer.

Pete

sjphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, Jan 24, 2013

Sal Baker wrote:

old_dog wrote:

I currently have an Epson SP4000 and am getting tired of dealing with the ink clogs. The constant work to keep it cleared wastes a lot of expensive ink. I am looking at a new printer and am considering the Canon IPF6400.

Second, I have a specific question regarding paper size. I currently print greeting cards in addition to regurlar prints. The paper stock is 7x10 inches. Canon says that 8 inches is the minimum width for the printer. For the Epson, they basically siad the same thing but you could disable the paper size checking and the printer handled the cards stock just fine. Does anyone know if the Canon IPF printers will also let you get away with a 7 inch wide paper? I could maybe try turning the paper so it feeds as 10 inches wide but, depending on the paper feed path, this might put a curl in the already prescored paper plus the leading/trailing margin requirements would most likely mess with the ability to print the full image. Right now I have to arrange the image so that the leading edge on the card allows for the startup feed margin on my Epson.

Thanks

The ipf6400's long list of advanced features and excellent print quality would make it a great choice if you want to move up to a 24-inch printer. If you don't need the bigger size or roll paper, theEpson Pro 3880 would be a good choice. With rebate they're only $899 (free shipping) and they are well-known for being clog-free, low maintainance machines.

I've had mine for 3 years with zero clogging problems. I'm going to be buying an ipf6400 because I need larger prints and I don't want to mess with the head cleaning/printing routines and head clogs in the Epson large format printers. Somehow Epson got it right with the 3880.

Sal

I just purchased a Canon ipf6400 from B&H. With the instant rebate it was $1934.00 with another $300.00 mail-in rebate. Thats $1634.00 with no tax and free delivery. I believe this offer is good through 3/15/13. Like the expression "too good to pass up"

Sal Baker
Like?
In reply to sjphoto, Jan 24, 2013

sjphoto wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

old_dog wrote:

Second, I have a specific question regarding paper size. I currently print greeting cards in addition to regurlar prints. The paper stock is 7x10 inches. Canon says that 8 inches is the minimum width for the printer. For the Epson, they basically siad the same thing but you could disable the paper size checking and the printer handled the cards stock just fine. Does anyone know if the Canon IPF printers will also let you get away with a 7 inch wide paper? I could maybe try turning the paper so it feeds as 10 inches wide but, depending on the paper feed path, this might put a curl in the already prescored paper plus the leading/trailing margin requirements would most likely mess with the ability to print the full image. Right now I have to arrange the image so that the leading edge on the card allows for the startup feed margin on my Epson.

Thanks

The ipf6400's long list of advanced features and excellent print quality would make it a great choice if you want to move up to a 24-inch printer. If you don't need the bigger size or roll paper, theEpson Pro 3880 would be a good choice. With rebate they're only $899 (free shipping) and they are well-known for being clog-free, low maintainance machines.

I've had mine for 3 years with zero clogging problems. I'm going to be buying an ipf6400 because I need larger prints and I don't want to mess with the head cleaning/printing routines and head clogs in the Epson large format printers. Somehow Epson got it right with the 3880.

Sal

I just purchased a Canon ipf6400 from B&H. With the instant rebate it was $1934.00 with another $300.00 mail-in rebate. Thats $1634.00 with no tax and free delivery. I believe this offer is good through 3/15/13. Like the expression "too good to pass up"

I'm about to pull the trigger on that same deal!

Sal

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
old_dog
Like?
In reply to Pete Berry, Jan 25, 2013

Pette, thanks for the information on feeding the 7x10 inch sheets.

Rollin

old_dog
Like?
In reply to sjphoto, Jan 25, 2013

Thanks for the info on B&H.  Being in NY I will get hit with taxes but I still like B&H from past experiences.

Rollin

Sal Baker
Like?
In reply to old_dog, Jan 25, 2013

old_dog wrote:

Thanks for the info on B&H. Being in NY I will get hit with taxes but I still like B&H from past experiences.

Rollin

Even with tax B&H is still hundreds of $$ less than any other prices I've seen.

Sal

sjphoto
Like?
In reply to old_dog, Feb 17, 2013

Received mine last week. Got it setup in less then an hour. I was using an epson 7800 prior. The 6400 is an awesome printer. I print using Lightroom 4 and every print with proper profiles, B&W and color are stunning. I am thrilled that I decided to go with this printer instead of an Epson and getting it  for $1604.00 with rebate, right before the prices went up, was a steal. I'm sure the prices will again come down, even at current prices, I believe around $1900.00 with rebates, it is still a great deal. The bottom line is that the 6400 is a joy to use and produces really fine prints.

paris1968
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
In reply to old_dog, Feb 18, 2013

I used an iPF 6200 for about two years, then bought an iPF 6300 about two years ago. I've never had a single clog, they are stingy with ink, and produce great prints. The PS plug-in is a great plus too. Where I have had problems is in loading paper. I have literally spent hours struggling with "paper askew" messages before I can get a roll of paper to feed. It's some sort of design flaw with the 6200 and the 6300 which I hope they have fixed with the new version. However, this makes me reluctant to unload the roll paper to load cuts sheets. Also, the printer does drift out of color adjustment with regularity, and you need to recalibrate every two or three weeks. Luckly, Canon's bult-in program makes that easy.

OTOH, I have a Epson 7900 too. It is not as stingy on ink, especially with the idiotic black ink switching routine, and it clogs at least every other week or so. However, loading paper could not be easier, and so I have no hesitation about unloading a roll to print some cut sheets whenever I want. Finally, to my eye, the print quality of the 7900 is ever so slightly, but noticibly, superior to the Canon 6300.

Edwin K
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
In reply to old_dog, Feb 21, 2013

old_dog wrote:

Second, I have a specific question regarding paper size. I currently print greeting cards in addition to regurlar prints. The paper stock is 7x10 inches. Canon says that 8 inches is the minimum width for the printer. For the Epson, they basically siad the same thing but you could disable the paper size checking and the printer handled the card stock just fine. Does anyone know if the Canon IPF printers will also let you get away with a 7 inch wide paper? I could maybe try turning the paper so it feeds as 10 inches wide but, depending on the paper feed path, this might put a curl in the already prescored paper plus the leading/trailing margin requirements would most likely mess with the ability to print the full image. Right now I have to arrange the image so that the leading edge on the card allows for the startup feed margin on my Epson.

Thanks

I'm currently profiling papers on an IPF6400.  The prints look good & I've no clogging issues (We share experiences with Epson clogs).  No answer to your 7" paper question as I've neither tried nor am I yet comfortable with the many print driver options.  However, I've 3 other problems with sheet paper.

1.  My printer puts ink lines on the back side of the paper.  These are stripes in the direction of paper feed near the right edge.  Research suggests ink mist is coming out of a couple of the vacuum holes & taping the holes may be a work around (Haven't tried this).  Ink on the back side is a killer for cards unless you have a margin to cut off.  Haven't seen this on roll paper, but haven't done many roll prints, yet.  Also haven't yet called Cannon Tech Support.

2.  Feeding sheet paper is a PAIN.  The printer takes a long time to load each sheet & paper askew errors are common, requiring a re-feed.  Sending 100 cards through will require a pot of coffee.  I also had hopes or producing cards with this printer, but will either need to look for a dedicated card printer  (Pixma 1 or 10?) or cut/fold cards from roll paper.

3.  I'm getting pizza wheel marks (lines of tiny white dots) in the direction of paper feed on Red River Arctic Polar Luster sheets.  Haven't tried other glossy/satin sheets, so don't know if this is just a problem with Canon/Red River APL or more widespread.  Again, I don't know if this is an issue on roll paper.

Best of luck on making a decision.

-- hide signature --

Ed Knight

paris1968
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
In reply to Edwin K, Feb 21, 2013

A very occasional ink smuge on the back or side is the only issue ink-related issue I have ever had with the iPF 6200 & 6300.  I've never had anything close to a cloging problem.  I am sad to hear that Canon has not addressed the "paper askew" issue with the 6400.  It rather keeps me from using the printer as much as I would otherwise.  I tend to load it up with my favorite paper and shy away from changing it for fear of struggling with "paper askew" when loading.  For everything else I use the Epson 7900 with which I can change paper roll s on a whym it's so easy.

For cards, I would advise getting an Epson 3880.  I've never had a clog with my 3880, and it does a great job using the red Rive card stock.  BTW my favorite paper for cards is RR double gloss.

bluehouse
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to old_dog, Feb 21, 2013

Well there is great collection of information,  I have found some important point from here. Keep sharing such type of information in future too.

luminol
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, Feb 24, 2013

Just purchased the IPF6450 from B&H and with all the discounts and rebates it was a deal. I just set it up yesterday and will keep you posted over time on how it performs.  First output at 24x30 glossy paper was outstanding (no pizza wheels yet). Very easy setup , still need to learn the ins and outs since i am new to wide format printing.

-- hide signature --

Luminol

Upchucked
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to luminol, Mar 10, 2013

I used an Epson 7600 with Chrome ink for several years, but in November the printer finally gave up and refused to be fixed.  Three little parts, with a combined cost of under $20, were needed, but Epson stopped making them and that made my beloved printer an expensive boat anchor.

Moving on, I looked at the 7900 and found lots of complaints about ink.... uses more than necessary, black is wasteful and a pain to change, clogging problems, so, i asked around to members of the 5 photo clubs to which I belong.  Bottom line, I ended up getting the ipf6400.

Have been printing with it for about 2 months.  I was, initially, unhappy with the color match, but finally used the Colormuncki Photo to adjust my monitor and the printer. I did a full profile and have never looked back.  Photos now print spot on and the ink usage is so light that I have only had to change two of the 12 cartridges of starter ink.

Given my experience with the Epson and the Canon, I vote for the latter.

sjphoto
Like?
In reply to paris1968, Mar 13, 2013

Been using my Canon 6400 for about a month now, not sure what, or if any changes were made from its predisessors, but I must  say I have been loading and unloading paper rolls as well as various cut sheet sizes  and have not had a single problem with the paper spooling or feeding, it's  been flawless.

susishke
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Edwin K, Mar 14, 2013

Am in a similar situation Ed. Looked forward to getting a Canon 6300 for a long time. Rec'd my printer and started to print itest sheets etc in Oct. 2012. Whilst printing my profile charts discovered lines on the back of each of them... just as you describe. The company I purchased the printer from eventually sent out an engineer and he diagnosed a problem with the vacuum. He tried blocking up the vacuum hole with blu tac but the lines appeared further down the page instead. It appeared to be moving the problem not fixing it.
A replacement ipf6300 was eventually sent out. This time the sales rep. installed the printer and started printing the test sheets. He was dismayed to see the same problem occuring. Lines on the reverse side of everything whether using roll or ind. sheets.
Photos were taken of the printing errors and emails sent out to Canon Head Office UK and Japan. The response was that engineers here and in Europe were at a loss as to how to fix the prob. Different methods attempted but all failed. Apparently all agreed it was to do with the vacuum kit holding the paper in place whilst printing. I was told that ink was being sucked under the paper and then being sprayed onto the underside. After various conversations with Canon, I was told that for all the inconvenience I had been put through they would upgrade me free of charge to a ipf6400. I was absolutely delighted. I was told they would do a test run on a 6400 in the depot just to make sure no probs. The next call received was a huge disappointment.....apparently the new 6400 printer was displaying exactly the same problem. It was printing lines on the reverse side of the paper.
A fix was needed and I was told it could take a long while to sort it out, plus Christmas was about to kick in and everything went on-hold. During January phone calls were made but no news on a fix, everyone still at a loss. Then in late Feb. I was told the prob. had been fixed and a new batch of 6400's were on their way over from Europe. I was absolutely delighted.
I finally received my ipf6400 last week and the first test prints produced revealed the same black lines on the back of the paper. Following instructions from the seller I adjusted head height, vacuum etc and the lines are darker or lighter or more of them and always there.
It appears to be a matter of luck. Apparently some machines have gone out and are okay but my supplier said there are more reports of other 6400's being returned with the same prob.
I am gutted; esp. to have experienced three machines all with the same problem. I wish to print fine art prints and greetings cards and cannot wait any longer for the prob. to be sorted. A year ago, I met a designer for a well known clothing manufacturer. We were talking printers and she said that at work they used the Epson 7900 and she had recently bought one to use at home. She said she would highly recommend. At the time I had my heart set on a Canon 6300 but in hindsight wished I'd taken notice.
I have been so patient with Canon over the past four months, but at the end of the day I have lost a lot of business and wasted a lot of time and money in the hope that they would consider this problem worthy of finding a fix. I've been told that if enough people flag it up as an issue they might do something about it. Am sorry to hear you have had similar probs. Ed and if you have since found a solution please do let me know asap.
Susishke

Sal Baker
Like?
In reply to susishke, Mar 14, 2013

susishke wrote:

Am in a similar situation Ed. Looked forward to getting a Canon 6300 for a long time. Rec'd my printer and started to print itest sheets etc in Oct. 2012. Whilst printing my profile charts discovered lines on the back of each of them... just as you describe. The company I purchased the printer from eventually sent out an engineer and he diagnosed a problem with the vacuum. He tried blocking up the vacuum hole with blu tac but the lines appeared further down the page instead. It appeared to be moving the problem not fixing it.
A replacement ipf6300 was eventually sent out. This time the sales rep. installed the printer and started printing the test sheets. He was dismayed to see the same problem occuring. Lines on the reverse side of everything whether using roll or ind. sheets.
Photos were taken of the printing errors and emails sent out to Canon Head Office UK and Japan. The response was that engineers here and in Europe were at a loss as to how to fix the prob. Different methods attempted but all failed. Apparently all agreed it was to do with the vacuum kit holding the paper in place whilst printing. I was told that ink was being sucked under the paper and then being sprayed onto the underside. After various conversations with Canon, I was told that for all the inconvenience I had been put through they would upgrade me free of charge to a ipf6400. I was absolutely delighted. I was told they would do a test run on a 6400 in the depot just to make sure no probs. The next call received was a huge disappointment.....apparently the new 6400 printer was displaying exactly the same problem. It was printing lines on the reverse side of the paper.
A fix was needed and I was told it could take a long while to sort it out, plus Christmas was about to kick in and everything went on-hold. During January phone calls were made but no news on a fix, everyone still at a loss. Then in late Feb. I was told the prob. had been fixed and a new batch of 6400's were on their way over from Europe. I was absolutely delighted.
I finally received my ipf6400 last week and the first test prints produced revealed the same black lines on the back of the paper. Following instructions from the seller I adjusted head height, vacuum etc and the lines are darker or lighter or more of them and always there.
It appears to be a matter of luck. Apparently some machines have gone out and are okay but my supplier said there are more reports of other 6400's being returned with the same prob.
I am gutted; esp. to have experienced three machines all with the same problem. I wish to print fine art prints and greetings cards and cannot wait any longer for the prob. to be sorted. A year ago, I met a designer for a well known clothing manufacturer. We were talking printers and she said that at work they used the Epson 7900 and she had recently bought one to use at home. She said she would highly recommend. At the time I had my heart set on a Canon 6300 but in hindsight wished I'd taken notice.
I have been so patient with Canon over the past four months, but at the end of the day I have lost a lot of business and wasted a lot of time and money in the hope that they would consider this problem worthy of finding a fix. I've been told that if enough people flag it up as an issue they might do something about it. Am sorry to hear you have had similar probs. Ed and if you have since found a solution please do let me know asap.
Susishke

Are you printing borderless when this happens?

Sal

sjphoto
Like?
In reply to susishke, Mar 14, 2013

Extremely bad luck. Hard to believe. Mine prints roll and loads sheets flawlessly every time. The quality of the prints are outstanding. I printed the same file on an Epson and the 6400, same paper with correct profiles for each printer and the prints look  identical. Cannot see a difference.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads