Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Re: What's good and bad about K30
In reply to grcolts, Jan 23, 2013

grcolts wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Ivar:

The K30 may be the best overall Pentax DSLR avaialble right now. About the only weakness of the camera for me is the poor dust removle system.

Dale

Dale,

Does the dust removal not compare to the K5's?

I have not heard anyone saying they have had problems with the K30 as far as dust goes.

GR

grcolts
http://g_richardsphotography.fototime.com/welcome
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/grcolts

Well I do probably as I'm constantly changing lenses outside and elements get in. You just buy a good rocket blower and give it a few puffs. Usually the dust/fibres are on the mirror.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to kpevav, Jan 23, 2013

kpevav wrote:

Which four "A" lenses do you have?

Pentax-A:

28mm f/2.8

50mm f/1.7

70-210mm F4 Macro x 2 (one I bought was fungus infected)

I also have the Kiron 70-210 F4 without the A setting

So really 3 A's I use but I might get the Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5 in a few months.

There really is something about the A's, the 28mm might be a bit more sterile although when you buy these you don't use your kit lens. The 50 and 70-210mm's produce beautiful bekoh.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Jonathan Lee
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
In reply to Ivar Dahl Larsen, Jan 24, 2013

Ivar Dahl Larsen wrote:

I would if anyone cares to answer me, like to know; how good is Pentax K30 actually. I have left the FF side, ended up in MFT and quite happy about it, but am missing a DSLR too. And a K30 seems to be a good option, pricewise, lightness and size. So how good is it. My kind of photograpy is mainly people, and street photography.

-- hide signature --

idl

i like my k30 and sold my canon 1d series cam. for still photos in day light, it is probably the king for the aps-c size, currently.  the clean iso1600 made me stop waiting on nikon 800. i think k30 is selling at ~$600 body only which has the features only pro body has to offer for the other camp.

but...

i miss the rapid and accurate low light focusing in a pub using canon.

i miss the correct exposure on stage light or photographing wild colors from flowers.  pentax k30 and earlier models tends to ignore over-exposure of the red channel for my shootings.  this may explain why k30 tend to under expose all shots in general.

i miss the gorgeous bokeh 135mm f1.8 sony FF has to offer.

i miss the 20mm 1.8 sigma on a sony FF with anti-shake.

i miss the good solid flash system when shooting with the canon and nikon, bounce +1 ev for main, -1 ev for fill, nice consistent exposures that can be change easily.  bounce with af540 on pentax k30 with compensation isn't friendly; exposure is all over.

wireless pttl? i still haven't figure out how to get consistent flash output, like i would with pocket wizard and manual flash.

i am not crazy about the distinctive 4 dark corners on pentax lense or 3rd party for pentax when shooting f2.8 or higher.  after all, it is an aps-c which should not be having vignette badly liked that, other the suggesting a style or manufacture is going cheap on making lens.

my sore middle finger on the right hand reminds me the grip is too small for my large (US) size hand.

all and all, k30 will satisfy majority of the consumers.

on the other hand, why would you have a mft and miss a dslr?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Jon.

Ivar Dahl Larsen
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Lee, Jan 24, 2013

To Jonathan and all the others who have answered. Thank you very much for your contributions which I appreciate very very much. It's evidently more people in favour of the camera than not. Now I guess my question requires a little more background than I formerly gave, obviously for Jonathan here who makes sense with his question.

I come from FF DSLR's and sold them 'cause they became to heavy and there were too much of equipment there. I do photograph in studio, in the streets and out in nature as well and have found that the mft system covers most, but.. I feel, just a feeling, that the pictures from mft do not leave me quite satisfied in regard to dynamic range, grain, higher ISO's and of course the abillity to photograph under all kinds of condition. Oly EMD-5 is not an option. I must admit that I always try to use as small an ISO as possible and seek support if possible and with OIS that works great most of the times.

Now I probably can live without the weather resistance asset, but it would as I said be an asset. Some of the answers scares me a bit though, and that is a poor dust removable item. I hate dust. So if I can be convinced that mft outweights the need for a K30, well.... Maybe a EX-1 from Fuji shall do the trick albeit very much more sterlings - dollars or kroner here in Norway. It's always nice to get other peoples opinions and especially people who own the stuff. So once again, thank you very much. I just got to find one and hold and get the feeling of it I guess before a mind's made up. Take care folks.

-- hide signature --

idl

Ivar Dahl Larsen's gear list:Ivar Dahl Larsen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
essH
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Lee, Jan 24, 2013

Jonathan Lee wrote:

my sore middle finger on the right hand reminds me the grip is too small for my large (US) size hand.

Yes, I noticed that when I first tried out a K-30 in the shop, but I decided that the rest of the package overrode that one minus. Strangely I didn't notice it on my K-m, which seems a bit smaller - must be just a shape thing rather than size.

-- hide signature --

Simon

essH
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
In reply to Simon Devlin, Jan 24, 2013

Simon Devlin wrote:

Pentax-A:

50mm f/1.7

70-210mm F4 Macro

The 50 and 70-210mm's produce beautiful bekoh.

Those two lenses were the ones I used on my ME Super back in the 1980s; took them round the world with me in 1987 and got hundreds of great shots with them. I still have them and dig them out once in a while just to remind me how much I liked them. Perhaps with focus peaking on the K-30 they'll get out more.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,914
Like?
In reply to essH, Jan 24, 2013

I have never heard another single complaint about the dust removal system. This is not a widely held complaint that I would freak out about. Many cameras don't even have a dust removal system.

Simon Devlin
Like?

essH wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Pentax-A:

50mm f/1.7

70-210mm F4 Macro

Those two lenses were the ones I used on my ME Super back in the 1980s; took them round the world with me in 1987 and got hundreds of great shots with them. I still have them and dig them out once in a while just to remind me how much I liked them. Perhaps with focus peaking on the K-30 they'll get out more.

-- hide signature --

Simon

I never use focus peaking. I use my eyesight through the viewfinder, the K-30 will confirm focus with a red square and a beep. CIF ( Capture In Focus is also very useful ). I really only use the viewfinder for the K-30's menu and I don't miss having a top LCD menu whatsoever. I actually prefer not having it making the K-30 more minimalist. This shot is with the A 70-210 in macro mode...

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
K-30 using CIF 'Capture In Focus'

essH wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Pentax-A:

50mm f/1.7

70-210mm F4 Macro

-- hide signature --

Simon

I received my better copy of a Pentax-A 70-210 F4 just a while ago. All good except for slight dust on an inner element. Anyhow I tested it using Capture In Focus on the macro mode. I can't understand why or how people think focus peaking is practical sometimes...

K-30 Pentax-A 70-210mm F4@ 700mm F11 1/180sec ISO 800

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Bob Corson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Lee, Jan 25, 2013

Jonathan Lee wrote:

Ivar Dahl Larsen wrote:

I would if anyone cares to answer me, like to know; how good is Pentax K30 actually. I have left the FF side, ended up in MFT and quite happy about it, but am missing a DSLR too. And a K30 seems to be a good option, pricewise, lightness and size. So how good is it. My kind of photograpy is mainly people, and street photography.

-- hide signature --

idl

i like my k30 and sold my canon 1d series cam. for still photos in day light, it is probably the king for the aps-c size, currently. the clean iso1600 made me stop waiting on nikon 800. i think k30 is selling at ~$600 body only which has the features only pro body has to offer for the other camp.

but...

i miss the rapid and accurate low light focusing in a pub using canon.

i miss the correct exposure on stage light or photographing wild colors from flowers. pentax k30 and earlier models tends to ignore over-exposure of the red channel for my shootings. this may explain why k30 tend to under expose all shots in general.

i miss the gorgeous bokeh 135mm f1.8 sony FF has to offer.

i miss the 20mm 1.8 sigma on a sony FF with anti-shake.

i miss the good solid flash system when shooting with the canon and nikon, bounce +1 ev for main, -1 ev for fill, nice consistent exposures that can be change easily. bounce with af540 on pentax k30 with compensation isn't friendly; exposure is all over.

I have the Metz 52 AF and flash pictures  are very consistent using bounce, straight on and verticle reflection. Haven't tried much fill flash yet.

wireless pttl? i still haven't figure out how to get consistent flash output, like i would with pocket wizard and manual flash.

Wireless works great with the Metz in all configurations

i am not crazy about the distinctive 4 dark corners on pentax lense or 3rd party for pentax when shooting f2.8 or higher. after all, it is an aps-c which should not be having vignette badly liked that, other the suggesting a style or manufacture is going cheap on making lens.

all and all, k30 will satisfy majority of the consumers.

on the other hand, why would you have a mft and miss a dslr?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Jon.

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Jonathan Lee
Like?
In reply to Bob Corson, Jan 25, 2013

@bob, thx for the suggestion.  it will save me time on quest for a good flash.

sorry, and don't mean to hijack this thread.

is there any other flash with pttl you have come across that can connect to external battery?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Jon.

Nipan_51
Contributing MemberPosts: 994
Like?
In reply to Ivar Dahl Larsen, Jan 25, 2013

As far as I can recall:

Good:

WR, OVF, Display, Menu/Info functions, Focusing options, AF adjustment per lens, Resolution, Low noise, Extra front wheel. I also like the option to save the last picture shot as raw, even if it is set to jpeg only.

Medium:

Shutter noise, Dust removal, SR (for my shaky hands), Memory card extraction

Size and shape can be rated as neutral. There is nothing "bad" in this camera. There are some features missing such as Wi-Fi and GPS, but the K-30 is nothing more than a photographic tool, and it meets all my expectations.

simbon4o
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Nipan_51, Jan 26, 2013

Good- price performance.

Bad - build quality. My first copy was with inaccurate viewfinder. The focus in the viewfinder was not where it is actually so if you shoot relying on your eyes - huge backfocus. The second one has problems with the sealings, the lcd screen is not mounted properly and it sucks dust inside especially with WR lenses. The local service told me that it came from the SD card slot :D, that was enough to convince me never to buy pentax again! I'm still using the K30 but my next camera will be sony or nikon!

Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,025
Like?
In reply to simbon4o, Jan 26, 2013

simbon4o wrote:

Good- price performance.

Bad - build quality. My first copy was with inaccurate viewfinder. The focus in the viewfinder was not where it is actually so if you shoot relying on your eyes - huge backfocus. The second one has problems with the sealings, the lcd screen is not mounted properly and it sucks dust inside especially with WR lenses. The local service told me that it came from the SD card slot :D, that was enough to convince me never to buy pentax again! I'm still using the K30 but my next camera will be sony or nikon!

You do know the viewfinder focus is adjustable?

The weather sealing on even somewhat dearer Nikon and Sony cameras will be worse than Pentax, you have go to way up the price range to better the K-30.

simbon4o
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Brad99, Jan 26, 2013

Brad99 wrote:

simbon4o wrote:

Good- price performance.

Bad - build quality. My first copy was with inaccurate viewfinder. The focus in the viewfinder was not where it is actually so if you shoot relying on your eyes - huge backfocus. The second one has problems with the sealings, the lcd screen is not mounted properly and it sucks dust inside especially with WR lenses. The local service told me that it came from the SD card slot :D, that was enough to convince me never to buy pentax again! I'm still using the K30 but my next camera will be sony or nikon!

The weather sealing on even somewhat dearer Nikon and Sony cameras will be worse than Pentax, you have go to way up the price range to better the K-30.

I know that the diopter adjustment can do some correction but not a lot. In my case it couldn't do anything at all it was bad. The service told me that pentax will not guarantee that the camera will work with non pentax lenses and if the AF is working right - the camera is ok. If I use only dark kit lenses probably even I will not notice it, but I mostly shoot 1.8-1.4 lenses wide open and MF. The good thing is that the local dealer decided to change the body anyway - good for me.

About the sealings - K5 is the same story. The problem with sealings is from K7 till now. When I have started to seek info about the problem there was a video in youtube with K5II and 18-135 lens blowing air from the screen. Quality control is not good. If it is for weather sealing - the K10 and K20 was great cameras, even my ex K200D is better than today models!

Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
In reply to simbon4o, Jan 26, 2013

simbon4o wrote:

Brad99 wrote:

simbon4o wrote:

Good- price performance.

I know that the diopter adjustment can do some correction but not a lot. In my case it couldn't do anything at all it was bad. The service told me that pentax will not guarantee that the camera will work with non pentax lenses and if the AF is working right - the camera is ok. If I use only dark kit lenses probably even I will not notice it, but I mostly shoot 1.8-1.4 lenses wide open and MF. The good thing is that the local dealer decided to change the body anyway - good for me.

About the sealings - K5 is the same story. The problem with sealings is from K7 till now. When I have started to seek info about the problem there was a video in youtube with K5II and 18-135 lens blowing air from the screen. Quality control is not good. If it is for weather sealing - the K10 and K20 was great cameras, even my ex K200D is better than today models!

Interesting on the sealing issue. There have been a number of posts regarding poor seals on the K30 LCD screen, but I've not seen many (any?) complaints about the K5 sealing. I have the K20D, K-5 and K-30, and I haven't noticed a difference between the K20 and K5 in terms of usage in wet conditions. I haven't had the K30 long enough to comment on prolonged usage in foul weather. As for general build quality, I agree the K30 is not in the same league as the K5 or even K20, but it is still pretty good. I find the K30 focus peaking function is a great boon for shootung between f2.8 and f1.4. Apart from the Sigma 30 f1.4 my fast glass is all manual focus, and even with the Sigma I manual focus in low light, as I find AF too unreliable/slow.

-- hide signature --

Everything changes

Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
iamphil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991
Like?
In reply to Ivar Dahl Larsen, Jan 26, 2013

Ivar Dahl Larsen wrote:

-- hide signature --

idl

Pentax lenses are expensive and local selection tends to be extremely limited. The primes do have the nice DOF scales. If only Pentax could pull their heads from their rears in terms of pricing.

The K-30 itself has the WR (though WR lenses aren't many), IS, and good sensor plus viewfinder.

Drawbacks might include the fixed rear LCD and tiny battery (uses a smaller battery than the K-5).

Jonathan Lee
Like?
In reply to Stephenhampshire, Jan 28, 2013

funny to me how that f1.8 30mm AF slow.  i had similar slow af experience with the Bigma f1.8 85mm.

A pleasant surprise to me was how much faster is the pentax da *f4* 12-24mm that night.  the af noise however can be distracting for video heads.

guess the 85mm f1.8 has a big-o heavy glasses to move, hence slow.

Stephenhampshire wrote:

\Interesting on the sealing issue. There have been a number of posts regarding poor seals on the K30 LCD screen, but I've not seen many (any?) complaints about the K5 sealing. I have the K20D, K-5 and K-30, and I haven't noticed a difference between the K20 and K5 in terms of usage in wet conditions. I haven't had the K30 long enough to comment on prolonged usage in foul weather. As for general build quality, I agree the K30 is not in the same league as the K5 or even K20, but it is still pretty good. I find the K30 focus peaking function is a great boon for shootung between f2.8 and f1.4. Apart from the Sigma 30 f1.4 my fast glass is all manual focus, and even with the Sigma I manual focus in low light, as I find AF too unreliable/slow.

-- hide signature --

Everything changes

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Jon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads