*Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 248 January/23/2013*

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,245
Like?
Jan 23, 2013

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We’re continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we’re convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography, and also useful for understanding and appreciating our gear.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images. Or vice versa: you give others your honest feedback, and in return deserve the right to post your own picture for C&C.

Generally, you should post only one single image for C&C. As an exception, you can post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on.

TWO RULES:

1.If you post an image, you critique at least one other image.

2.Keep your comments honest but polite; if you don’t care for an image, try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera. It is a peer-to-peer photography workshop!

Feedback is guaranteed (for up to 48 hours after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

1.Turn on "Threaded view" and reply to this post with a web-sized image. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily! 2.Get back to this thread in a minute, an hour or a day or so, and…

3.…still in threaded view, look at one or more pictures of your choice, click reply and critique it.

4.Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help

5.Image posters: please consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.

6.You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have gotten. This could include a new version of your image, taking on board the comments received. Please try not to reply individually to every comment so as not to fill up the thread on your own.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

•The critique you give (point 3 from the above list) is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

•Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure. If the poster of the image does not object, you may even consider downloading his image and fiddling with it for real, to illustrate your point.

•More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

•Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

Here is last (week's) thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50558958

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. This is the place to post your general, not image-specific musings about this great enterprise called the C&C Thread.

Another of the first replies includes a link to all previous threads. This is called "Our Archives Vault".

Best Regards,

Lou

LouHolland
Like?
* The RELATED post *
In reply to LouHolland, Jan 23, 2013

* The RELATED post *

This is a placeholder for anything related to the C&C threads. And we do mean anything: feel free to start a discussion about the threads, or how you felt when your image was trashed by some mean know-it-all (probably not in this thread, though), or how it feels trying to say something polite about a cr@ppy image posted for review (tough one).

This is also the place to make arrangements and share ideas for keeping this thread alive and kicking. Or for starting a new "Photo Essay" or "Series" thread, as has been suggested in the past (plenty of “Weekly” this-and-that threads around, so why not?).

The C&C group will be more than happy to consider all input.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LouHolland
Like?
Second Personal Note..

Well this is my second note, I guess nothing special but, just for the record:

First of all I'm not intended to keep this thread longer than half a year. In the mean time you all can think about the continuation as we need a new face after that.

Second, it is important for everyone to know when this thread comes online. The answer is, between 14.oo and 18.oo hours europian time.

That's all

For now have fun and I am curious to see your weekly contributions.

Cheers Lou

LouHolland
Like?
Abstract..

Abstract | amazon on the beach

Thanks for looking&commenting.

Lou

BTW, if you like it or not (you always may tell)... originally this is a photograph. I say this because there always could have some opinions that may differ about how far do we go and what is a limit in what we see as photography and what as derived from it for what ever reasons. Photoart, assuming that the picture is art or could be art and I don't say my picture is art, it just can be hold as an example for this issue.

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,294
Like?
Re: Abstract..

I like it a LOT!

I have done similar images in the past for a friend who manufactures "Place Mats".

Your example goes past the level of "obscurity" that I used for the "place mat" series, BUT it is pretty much on par with the images of that type I have done (printed and hung) for my home.

Kudos!

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,430
Like?
Torera

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Like?

LouHolland wrote:

Abstract | amazon on the beach

The interweave texture is suggestive of the unity of horse+rider.

I think I would also like this in a presentation taken to another level of abstraction, for example rotated 135 degrees counter-clockwise, and with some not-horse color in place of  the brown.

-- hide signature --

Zin

BigMacIain
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Re: Torera
In reply to Zindanfel, Jan 23, 2013

The treatment of that is nice but I don't know if the canvas effect works with the shot. It would be interesting to see the image without that particular effect. Also, and this is not necessarily a bad thing, there is something alienating about this picture. Perhaps it's the way the figure is cut off at the shoulders. Did you deliberately frame it that way or did you crop it?

BigMacIain
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Lighthouse

LouHolland
Like?
Re: Lighthouse
In reply to BigMacIain, Jan 23, 2013

BigMacIain wrote:

-

Hi BigMacIain and welcome to this thread,

It's a very nice photo on the eye but and well composed but, if we look further and enlarged the image, we see a sea that seems to have a concrete like texture. Is that caused by a lens effect? Next question: do you have applied a gradient to the sky?

I would like to see the original color image.

Lou

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,785
Like?
After a Concert

I was leaving the concert hall when I spotted this interesting vignette. I realized a straight shot would be a little dull, so I planned on the post processing effects as part of setting up the capture.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,513
Like?
Taking Liberties

From the first two entries, it seems we are going with a bit of an abstract / clearly processed approach this week.

Here's mine (almost zero effort, just random effect while fooling around):

Taking some liberty with Liberty

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,513
Like?
Previous Editions : the actual links

Message to Lou, and anyone considering becoming thread starter:

(1) Thanks again for keeping this alive.  Please may someone step forward to take over from Lou when he feels like quitting.  But I am glad he will be doing this until the summer at least...

(2) Just a technical point in order to preserve the daisy-chain of editions.

In the opening post, it is the idea to replace the link to Last Week's Edition, that is included there, with the actual link to the actual thread of the week before.  As it is now, it leads to the Archives from an older version.

In other words : to keep the chain intact, this link is something from that OP that should be updated every week with a new link.

Here are the actual links to a few previous editions:

Last week, started by Lou (ed 247): http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50677069

Last of 2012 (ed 246): http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50558935

Last one started by Claus (ed 245 on Dec 19) : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50500301

There has been a hiatus of one week.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Zindanfel
Like?
Re: Taking Liberties
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 23, 2013

RoelHendrickx wrote:

From the first two entries, it seems we are going with a bit of an abstract / clearly processed approach this week.

Here's mine (almost zero effort, just random effect while fooling around):

Taking some liberty with Liberty

The framing treatment is effective, both as echo of the folds in Lady Liberty's robe and to soften the relative strength of hard edges of the pedestal. The overall effect of the frame is to consolidate the picture while not becoming overly assertive.

The statue reigns over New York's harbor, welcoming waves of (mostly) European immigrants since the late 19th Century, with promise of new beginnings expressed in lines of Emma Lazarus' poem on the statue's pedestal:

"...A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

In the context of immigration as a recent and current economic, social and political issue in North America, the photograph could be thought of as a metaphor for perceived inequities in immigration policy, e.g., two of Lady Liberty might suggest different (and unequal) policies, perhaps depending upon the given "teeming shores" from which the immigrants originate. The "browning of America" and undocumented immigrants are busy topics in media and political circles these days.

Or, for some viewers, the perception might be more benign -- merely a representation of multiple opportunties, for example.

-- hide signature --

Zin

stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,422
Like?

Hi mate,  I like it, well framed, great colours and the processing adds to the image. I have tried this type of filter a few times and never managed to get it right. So well done.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Torera
In reply to Zindanfel, Jan 23, 2013

Hi mate, great image, breaks all the rules and the image is the better for it. I don't know if you set it up or found it but it's a well composed image. Great colours and lighting.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Lighthouse

Hi mate,  love a good lighthouse photo and  this one fits the bill. I like the monochrome treatment, adds to the mood.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: After a Concert
In reply to CharlesB58, Jan 23, 2013

Hi mate, really like this one, the processing adds to the image without being noticeable.  The light coming from the left of frame creates a great shadow. Well seen.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Taking Liberties
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 23, 2013

Hi mate, the ghost of America past?  Many ways to interpret this one, for not much effort you have created an image that could be used to illustrate many views.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Four...

Hi everyone,  one from the Melbourne Cricket Ground during the Boxing Day test match.

Regards.

Stephen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads