Sony also admits that 16mm F2.8 is a total failure

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
jbwong
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Sony also admits that 16mm F2.8 is a total failure
Jan 23, 2013

That's the reason why they release another wide prime - with a 20mm though..

hopefully the optics is on par with Sigma 19mm

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,984Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony also admits that 16mm F2.8 is a total failure
In reply to jbwong, Jan 23, 2013

jbwong wrote:

Even if it would be, (which I seriously doubt, as it will need bunch of SW corrections) Sigma 19 is not a big and certainly not a heavy lens. 2 times higher price (recently over 3 times if bought with Sigma 30), for slightly smaller size?

Still, there will be lot of users who would defend it, because it's pancake, so your jacket pocket can be a ted smaller 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,415Gear list
Like?
The only Failure was

The only Failure was that they were inable to make them consistently so a lot of dud and mediocre samples are out there (everyone`s used to that in canon, nikon, Sigma, Tamron and Pentax of course) - a good one is superb and very usable wideopen even at the edges ........ Sony has changed, they used to represent QUALITY and Quality Control, "Its a Sony" used to mean something, but that went out the window after the 80s ..

-- hide signature --

** A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
Re: The only Failure was
In reply to AdamT, Jan 23, 2013

AdamT wrote:

The only Failure was that they were inable to make them consistently so a lot of dud and mediocre samples are out there - a good one is superb and very usable wideopen even at the edges ....

Sony's main issue is lens quality control. My advice - stop releasing newer versions of essentially the same camera and devote time/resources to getting lens quality under control.

Relying on Zeiss to do the job (and share in the kudos) is not the answer.

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,984Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 23, 2013

Photozopia wrote:

AdamT wrote:

The only Failure was that they were inable to make them consistently so a lot of dud and mediocre samples are out there - a good one is superb and very usable wideopen even at the edges ....

Sony's main issue is lens quality control. My advice - stop releasing newer versions of essentially the same camera and devote time/resources to getting lens quality under control.

On the other hand, if they keep recycling 18-200 version, they might shortly enter the Guinness Book Of Records. Maybe that's what Sony PR is trying to achieve...

jbwong
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Jan 23, 2013

verybiglebowski wrote:

Photozopia wrote:

AdamT wrote:

On the other hand, if they keep recycling 18-200 version, they might shortly enter the Guinness Book Of Records. Maybe that's what Sony PR is trying to achieve...

true...18-200mm is just ridiculous

Photozopia
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Jan 23, 2013

Photozopia
Like?

Just taken delivery of 18-55mm (eBay) and it already looks as if it beats the pants off my 16mm.

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

jbwong wrote:

A few of us like it....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3368825

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?

So where does Sony  admit that the 16mm F2.8 is a total failure?

Since it was designed for the point n shoot upgraders, and not picky as hell enthusiasts, the lens was ok, not great, and IMO their whole line is merely ok to good with a few greats, and nothing stellar or amazing.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, Jan 23, 2013

Lightshow wrote:

So where does Sony admit that the 16mm F2.8 is a total failure?

They haven't.

We ask for more lenses, Sony make them, and yet people still find something to complain about.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,689Gear list
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Jan 23, 2013

So, how well are the UWA and Fisheye adapters going to work on the SEL20F28?

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Herts_JoaTMoN
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Jan 23, 2013

SQLGuy wrote:

So, how well are the UWA and Fisheye adapters going to work on the SEL20F28?

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

I hope the lens was designed with those adaptors in mind. I love the extra flexability of having the UWA in my bag.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX (£330)
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (if £650). SEL3518 (if £300).

Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,211
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, Jan 23, 2013

Lightshow wrote:

So where does Sony admit that the 16mm F2.8 is a total failure?

+1

Where is the official Sony press release that says this?

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50679132

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

Please show me the Sony quote that says 16mm f2.8 is total failure.

The 16mm f2.8 is a neat little lens and I have used it a lot, especially with the wide angle adapter attached.

My general manager has used that combo on many of his business trips and has posted hundreds if not thousands of images using that combo.

I suggest the original poster watch statements like this as he is stating fact not opinion, and Sony may want to have a word with him if he keeps it up.

wll

jbwong wrote:

Almazar80
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?

The 18-200mm may be ridiculous to some people, but video shooters will probably be happy with it.  It always amazes me that if someone finds something isn't for them, they assume that it isn't for anyone else either.

As for the 16mm, it actually works fairly well, especially if you have a good copy.  Sony's quality control hopefully has improved.

pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
In reply to Almazar80, Jan 23, 2013

the 18-200 very handy as a walkabout lens when you want maximum flexibility without bringing a camera bag.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,460Gear list
Like?

Yep - TOTAL failure.  As soon as Sony announced the 20mm pancake, all the photos I took with the 16mm lens just went black.  All of them!  I had some pretty decent shots with it, but apparently it is indeed a total failure, so all of the shots I took just ceased to exist, or turned to complete failure.  Even the ones I post processed or saved multiple copies of...gone!  Large prints I made are now just black paper in frames...failure!

I hate when that happens.

I remember I once had a camera I took pretty good photos with for months, then a review came out and said the camera wasn't very good and a lot of posters peppered the boards with criticism, and all the sudden, all the photos I had taken with it turned to junk.  Tilted horizons, horrible noise, JPG artifacts suddenly filled in everywhere, colors went askew.  Someone needs to stop this from happening!  Every time a review comes along that is less than perfect, or a poster starts a thread about how terrible a camera or lens is, all the great photos taken with that device are instantly destroyed or rendered useless and horrible.  This is a travesty!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to pcake, Jan 23, 2013

pcake wrote:

the 18-200 very handy as a walkabout lens when you want maximum flexibility without bringing a camera bag.

Sure, but you don't need 8 of them.  Or however many versions they have made, 4?

I suppose the new one is mainly for video, which a lot of the people around here won't use so they complain about it.

All I hope is the price of the new 20mm f/2.8 means increased quality control, and not just increased profit.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
garethwi
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Jan 23, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

Yep - TOTAL failure. As soon as Sony announced the 20mm pancake, all the photos I took with the 16mm lens just went black. All of them! I had some pretty decent shots with it, but apparently it is indeed a total failure, so all of the shots I took just ceased to exist, or turned to complete failure. Even the ones I post processed or saved multiple copies of...gone! Large prints I made are now just black paper in frames...failure!

I hate when that happens.

I remember I once had a camera I took pretty good photos with for months, then a review came out and said the camera wasn't very good and a lot of posters peppered the boards with criticism, and all the sudden, all the photos I had taken with it turned to junk. Tilted horizons, horrible noise, JPG artifacts suddenly filled in everywhere, colors went askew. Someone needs to stop this from happening! Every time a review comes along that is less than perfect, or a poster starts a thread about how terrible a camera or lens is, all the great photos taken with that device are instantly destroyed or rendered useless and horrible. This is a travesty!

That has got to be the most refreshing, bucket of cold water in the case, wake-up call comment ever.

My hat, sir, is off to you!

garethwi's gear list:garethwi's gear list
Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads