MX-1 Full-Sized Sample Images including RAW

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
MX-1 Full-Sized Sample Images including RAW
Jan 23, 2013

Spanish website Quesabesde has posted an article about the MX-1 complete with full-sized JPEG and RAW images.  (Note: it didn't open the article in Google Chrome, so I have no idea what the text said, even though there is possibly something written about "incomplete firmware".

But the images look wonderful to my eyes.  Amazing sharpness, seems to be a cracking lens, and colors look very good. The low ISO JPEGs absolutely pop.  High ISO JPEGS seem quite good up to 1600. Didn't look at the RAWs yet.

This is great news for all Pentax users/fans.  I just discovered it and now I wanted to share it here.

They are, IMHO, great looking shots and I'm certain the RAW will be exponentially better.

MX-1 Sample Images (Full-Sized JPEGs and RAW)

All the best, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,941Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 Full-Sized Sample Images including RAW
In reply to marike6, Jan 23, 2013

Looks good, but could see any Exif, some had a blue colour cast but on the whle not bad, interesting to see ipswich on the steel work, as i live not far from there.

I hope to get this camera in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the link.    

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marti58
Forum ProPosts: 19,085Gear list
Like?
Exif data Harbor ( sailboats )

EXIF IFD0
Camera Make {0x010F} = PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Camera Model {0x0110} = RICOH MX-1
Picture Orientation {0x0112} = normal (1)
X-Resolution {0x011A} = 72/1 ===> 72
Y-Resolution {0x011B} = 72/1 ===> 72
X/Y-Resolution Unit {0x0128} = inch (2)
Software / Firmware Version {0x0131} = v666-53
Last Modified Date/Time {0x0132} = 2013:01:15 14:03:04
Artist {0x013B} =
Y/Cb/Cr Positioning (Subsampling) {0x0213} = co-sited / datum point (2)
Copyright Owner {0x8298} =
Print Image Matching {0xC4A5} = PrintIM
version = 0300
EXIF Sub IFD
Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) {0x829A} = 1/400 second ===> 0.0025 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop {0x829D} = 45/10 ===> ƒ/4.5
ISO Speed Ratings {0x8827} = 100
EXIF Version {0x9000} = 0230
Original Date/Time {0x9003} = 2013:01:15 14:03:04
Digitization Date/Time {0x9004} = 2013:01:15 14:03:04
Components Configuration {0x9101} = 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
Exposure Bias (EV) {0x9204} = 0/10 ===> 0
Metering Mode {0x9207} = pattern / multi-segment (5)
Flash {0x9209} = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length {0x920A} = 154/10 mm ===> 15.4 mm
Maker Note

Colour Space {0xA001} = sRGB (1)
Image Width {0xA002} = 4000 pixels
Image Height {0xA003} = 3000 pixels
Custom Rendered {0xA401} = normal process (0)
Exposure Mode {0xA402} = auto exposure (0)
White Balance {0xA403} = auto (0)
Digital Zoom Ratio {0xA404} = 100/100 ===> 1
Focal Length in 35mm Film {0xA405} = 72
Scene Capture Type {0xA406} = standard (0)
Contrast {0xA408} = normal (0)
Saturation {0xA409} = high (2)
Sharpness {0xA40A} = normal (0)
Subject Distance Range {0xA40C} = unknown (0)

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,379Gear list
Like?
Reading original now

I know Spanish  Thanks for the link.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,379Gear list
Like?
Seems like a Q but a bit more detail
In reply to Raist3d, Jan 23, 2013

the .DNG raws can't be opened from LightRoom in a good eay.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

marike6
Like?
Re: Seems like a Q but a bit more detail

Raist3d wrote:

the .DNG raws can't be opened from LightRoom in a good eay.

-- hide signature --

I imported all of the DNGs into LR4, and managed to export one of them, but the others turned a into weird shade and pattern inverted colors.  I'm going to try some other RAW editors, and perhaps retry LR, and I did manage to export one (the church image) to JPEG.  Look terrific.

Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
ASR45
Like?

Some excellent images on the pentax forum, you will have to google search them as not allowed domain on here. The images taken in Singapore and look excellent. I certainly will be getting one.

-- hide signature --

Alan.

Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Marti58
Forum ProPosts: 19,085Gear list
Like?
Moderator can you pls edit my above post ?
In reply to Marti58, Jan 23, 2013

dont know what happend but loads of un needed data came with it.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
marike6
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Jan 23, 2013

ASR45 wrote:

Some excellent images on the pentax forum, you will have to google search them as not allowed domain on here. The images taken in Singapore and look excellent. I certainly will be getting one.

If the images from Pentax forum as full-sized, why not post a link to them?

I'm certainly impressed with the IQ of the Quesabesde images above so I'm definitely interested in seeing more.  Now if I could only find some full-sized X20 images, I can decide which camera I'm going to get.

Lots of choices, but the MX-1 and X20 are at the top of my list, especially after seeing how sharp these images look.

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,247
Like?
Isn't it the same lens and sensor as the xz-2?

Aside from that, the difference in output should be down to software mostly, no?

ASR45
Like?

marike6 wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

I tried, but DPR did not allowed me to do so, would not take much to do a search i found in in under a minute of searching.

I'm certainly impressed with the IQ of the Quesabesde images above so I'm definitely interested in seeing more. Now if I could only find some full-sized X20 images, I can decide which camera I'm going to get.

Lots of choices, but the MX-1 and X20 are at the top of my list, especially after seeing how sharp these images look.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

marike6
Like?

ASR45 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

I tried, but DPR did not allowed me to do so, would not take much to do a search i found in in under a minute of searching.

I'm talking about posting the URL of the webpage that has the images (which is definitely possible), not the actual images.

It doesn't matter, I'll find them when I have more time. Thanks.

ASR45
Like?

marike6 wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

I'm talking about posting the URL of the webpage that has the images (which is definitely possible), not the actual images.

Look, this is exactly what im talking about, DPR STOPS it not allowed is what i got when i tried, if not i would have it here so folk can see, im not being awkward, just listen to what im saying they DPR stops from the point i try to link to them end of.

This is what i get:

An error occurred
  • Subject and/or body contains banned domains in URLs: "
 if you have any questions.contact usPlease 
-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

marike6
Like?
Re: Isn't it the same lens and sensor as the xz-2?
In reply to Toccata47, Jan 23, 2013

Toccata47 wrote:

Aside from that, the difference in output should be down to software mostly, no?

I suppose it is the same lens as the XZ-1 and XZ-2, but it would seem that Pentax has used it's excellent SMC coatings indicated by the red "SMC" on the filter ring.

And AFAIK, you are correct that it's the same 12mp 1/1.7" BSI CMOS sensor from Sony which is an very good performer at lower ISO settings.  Haven't been able to convert any of the DNGs but the  ISO 100 image of the church (that have impressive sharpness, colors and detail) unfortunately, but even a couple of the ISO 1600 images at night look good.

ASR45
Like?

marike6 wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

I suppose it is the same lens as the XZ-1 and XZ-2, but it would seem that Pentax has used it's excellent SMC coatings indicated by the red "SMC" on the filter ring.

And AFAIK, you are correct that it's the same 12mp 1/1.7" BSI CMOS sensor from Sony which is an very good performer at lower ISO settings. Haven't been able to convert any of the DNGs but the ISO 100 image of the church (that have impressive sharpness, colors and detail) unfortunately, but even a couple of the ISO 1600 images at night look good.

Left a message for you, dont know if you read it but linking URLs domain named websites dont work DPR does not allow it, you cannot do it, a red box stops this saying so, if not i would have linked it. As i say if you google pentax forums, you will find the link pertaining to this very easy. But dont tell me to do something which i have tried and dont let me.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Mark Twain

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691Gear list
Like?

marike6 wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

And AFAIK, you are correct that it's the same 12mp 1/1.7" BSI CMOS sensor from Sony which is an very good performer at lower ISO settings. Haven't been able to convert any of the DNGs but the ISO 100 image of the church (that have impressive sharpness, colors and detail) unfortunately, but even a couple of the ISO 1600 images at night look good.

It is just marketing, it would be too expensive to really put SMC coating on an Olympus lens (and modify their production line to do so). Pentax DA 18-250 (made by Tamron) also had SMC written on it, but it is exactly the same lens as Tamron, including lens coating...  It is convenient that both original XZ-1 coating, and coating Tamron uses in their lenses, is very similar in color to SMC.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
EArenz
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
Re: Reading original now

I know Spanish Thanks for the link.

Me too.  It's called Google translate, automatic in Chrome

marike6
Like?

ASR45 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

Look, this is exactly what im talking about, DPR STOPS it not allowed is what i got when i tried, if not i would have it here so folk can see, im not being awkward, just listen to what im saying they DPR stops from the point i try to link to them end of.

This is what i get:

An error occurred
  • Subject and/or body contains banned domains in URLs: "
if you have any questions.contact usPlease

OK.  No offense intended.  I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.  It's not a big deal at all.

I've already found the full-sized JPEG and RAW images from Quesabesde that I linked to in this thread, so it's really not so important to see other images from the Pentax forum.

But I do thank you for the tip, and for your effort.  All the best, Markus

marike6
Like?
Re: Reading original now
In reply to EArenz, Jan 23, 2013

EArenz wrote:

I know Spanish Thanks for the link.

Me too. It's called Google translate, automatic in Chrome

Yes, I'm a Chrome user and the automatic translate is by far my favorite feature.  But ever since DPR did site maintenance last week, none of the DPR forums work in Google Chrome Mac.

So I'm back on Safari, which doesn't automatically translate foreign text.  (Didn't have a chance to copy and paste the articles text into Google Translate because I was really more interested in the sample images).

Thanks.

marike6
Like?
In reply to DS21, Jan 23, 2013

DS21 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

It is just marketing, it would be too expensive to really put SMC coating on an Olympus lens (and modify their production line to do so). Pentax DA 18-250 (made by Tamron) also had SMC written on it, but it is exactly the same lens as Tamron, including lens coating... It is convenient that both original XZ-1 coating, and coating Tamron uses in their lenses, is very similar in color to SMC.

That's certainly possible, but you don't know for a fact that it's not SMC coatings, do you?

Certainly if Pentax licensed the lens from Olympus, they would be free to use SMC coatings provided, as you mentioned, it wasn't too expensive to do so.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads