time lapse of stars and sunrise using the time lapse app

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
time lapse of stars and sunrise using the time lapse app
Jan 22, 2013

started playing with the time lapse app recently that I downloaded on my NEX-5R; it makes taking time lapse videos quite easier but the lack of controls like manual focusing or changing apertures make it a little less flexible. Another issue is not being able tochange the exposures as the videos are being taken, as the exposure may change dramatically in situations like sunrise/sunsets. anyways, enjoy!

NEX-5R + Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye (may need HD + enlarge to see the stars)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwlyu/8397849129/in/photostream

Nex-5r + Zeiss 24mm f/1.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwlyu/8398841614/in/photostream/

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
Re: time lapse of stars and sunrise using the time lapse app
In reply to kev777zero, Jan 22, 2013

with regards to your sunrise timelapse, have you tried using "Sunrise" theme from the app? it looks like it should adjust shutter speed accordingly.

here's the manual

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/manual/IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000003/en/index.html

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kev777zero
Like?
In reply to bzx, Jan 22, 2013

I did use the sunrise theme, but every shot was based on the settings of the first shot, whether it be exposure, focus area, shutter speeds, etc...

Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
paul1508
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

Is there no possibility to set EV to 0 or +1 or anything on the beginning and the camera sets aperture, iso and shutter speed like it pleases?

kev777zero
Like?
In reply to paul1508, Jan 22, 2013

paul1508 wrote:

Is there no possibility to set EV to 0 or +1 or anything on the beginning and the camera sets aperture, iso and shutter speed like it pleases?

you can set EV at the beginning; what I am saying is that the settings are set in stone after the first shot, so say in a sunrise situation as more and more light comes in the apertures, iso, etc... remain the same, making the scene way overexposed

Puddleglum
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?

Are you certain you used the sunrise setting? The manuals description of it is "Shoots sunrise landscapes in which the brightness and colors change", so it would be really strange if it wasn't re-metering before each shot. Is it possible you had the metering set to something like "spot" that would cause it to not meter correctly?

joel avery
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684Gear list
Like?

Really like the star shot Kev.

Thanks for sharing!

joel avery's gear list:joel avery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +6 more
bzx
bzx
Like?
In reply to Puddleglum, Jan 24, 2013

Puddleglum wrote:

Are you certain you used the sunrise setting? The manuals description of it is "Shoots sunrise landscapes in which the brightness and colors change", so it would be really strange if it wasn't re-metering before each shot. Is it possible you had the metering set to something like "spot" that would cause it to not meter correctly?

I second that - I would do that experiment again and check results. Otherwise there's something wrong with the app.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

kev777zero
Like?
In reply to bzx, Jan 24, 2013

bzx wrote:

Puddleglum wrote:

Are you certain you used the sunrise setting? The manuals description of it is "Shoots sunrise landscapes in which the brightness and colors change", so it would be really strange if it wasn't re-metering before each shot. Is it possible you had the metering set to something like "spot" that would cause it to not meter correctly?

I second that - I would do that experiment again and check results. Otherwise there's something wrong with the app.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

I set everything back to default settings and it still didn't work. After the first shot the camera does not focus for the next shot, does not change shutter speed or aperture, etc...

I'm not sure if I did something wrong if the app's just like this. but it's still a worthwhile app IMHO regardless. here's a sunset I did today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwlyu/8409043593/in/photostream

bzx
bzx
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Jan 24, 2013

I set everything back to default settings and it still didn't work. After the first shot the camera does not focus for the next shot, does not change shutter speed or aperture, etc...

I'm not sure if I did something wrong if the app's just like this. but it's still a worthwhile app IMHO regardless. here's a sunset I did today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwlyu/8409043593/in/photostream

The output sure looks great but that lack of shutter speed adjustment is bugging me.. (I don't have a 6 yet, but will be getting one) - was your camera in aperture priority mode when you started the app?   not sure if that even matters as the app might control the mode via its own modes.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,818Gear list
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Jan 24, 2013

Totally love that first one Kev !!. Clever use of framing. The second one is good as well, but that first time lapse, phew, darn good lighting and exposure and again of course, that framing.

All the best Kev and nice work using that feature.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads