Memory card recommended for P7700

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Questions
bambamphoto
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Memory card recommended for P7700
Jan 22, 2013

Ok, this question may not make sense but so far I been shooting only jpg and not burst shooting.  Im using old class 4 memory cards (micro SD inside a SD adapter), so far it is ok

Now, Im considering burst shooting, mainly jpg (and rarely raw, let alone jpg + raw)

A 32Gb class 10 costs about half what a 32 Gb UHS costs.  Wonder if it would make much different when burst shooting?

Also, I have heard that using a micro SD card inside a micro-to-SD adapter lowers its speed.  Is that true??

Any opinion welcome!

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OrlandoPete
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Memory card recommended for P7700
In reply to bambamphoto, Jan 29, 2013

I would like to hear a response on this question as well. I bought a Transcend Class 10 card, but read a review on here mentioning that a UHS-I card is essential. I don't care about shooting movies all that much, but I use the 6-shot burst more than any other mode. Wondering if getting a faster card will make a noticeable difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
In reply to bambamphoto, Jan 29, 2013

bambamphoto wrote:

Ok, this question may not make sense but so far I been shooting only jpg and not burst shooting. Im using old class 4 memory cards (micro SD inside a SD adapter), so far it is ok

Now, Im considering burst shooting, mainly jpg (and rarely raw, let alone jpg + raw)

A 32Gb class 10 costs about half what a 32 Gb UHS costs. Wonder if it would make much different when burst shooting?

Also, I have heard that using a micro SD card inside a micro-to-SD adapter lowers its speed. Is that true??

Any opinion welcome!

Thanks!

If you search this forum you will find several threads discussing this issue. And you will find two distinct types of writing speeds reported (for the same type of card and shooting conditions). Some people, me included, (and most review sites as well) are reporting slow writing times even with fastest cards. It is not an issue for JPEG, but might become a serious issue for RAW shooting for some people (it does not really bother me in practice). But then again others are reporting much better performance in this regard. The only explanation that I can think of for this is that maybe there are two subtypes (or batches) of P7700 floating around that are different in some small hardware aspect - maybe using some electronic part from different sources. I've got my P7700 soon after it became available, so maybe only the earliest cameras are the "slow" ones - who knows. I have not seen any reviews addressing this apparent discrepancy in reported writing speeds.

Anyway, I posted my own results some time ago, comparing the writing speed performance (shot-to-shot times, to be more precise) for JPEG, NRW and NRW+JPEG modes, for single-shot and high-speed burst modes, and for three very different SanDisk cards, from a class 4 SD to the fastest available SanDisk class 10 UHS-I SDHC card (Pro Extreme). You can see my results here.

Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
In reply to bambamphoto, Jan 30, 2013

bambamphoto wrote:

Ok, this question may not make sense but so far I been shooting only jpg and not burst shooting. Im using old class 4 memory cards (micro SD inside a SD adapter), so far it is ok

A 32Gb class 10 costs about half what a 32 Gb UHS costs. Wonder if it would make much different when burst shooting?

Also, I have heard that using a micro SD card inside a micro-to-SD adapter lowers its speed. Is that true??

Any opinion welcome!

Thanks!

I use the 16GB class 10 Eye-Fi Pro card and I sense no delays on saving images but I don't shoot bursts that much.

The Jpegs go almost immediately to my tablet.

My Raw is always downloaded to my laptop at the end of the day.

I guess any brand that is cl-10 should perform about equally.

If this is a real probem for your shooting you should move to a DSLR with a large buffer.

Once on vacation I used a micr-sd card in an adapter and could not download most of the images.

I finally got a recovery freeware program and got most of the images.

I will never again use a micro with an adapter even if the manual says is is possible.

B-rad
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,108Gear list
Like?
Sandisk 95MB/S
In reply to bambamphoto, Jan 30, 2013

I saw lots of complaints about most other cards for this camera. I use the 95MB/S card and the cam is ready to take the next shot in a second. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Brad
Windsor.Ontario.Canada
WSSA member#52
PBase Supporter
www.pbase.com/bradsandy

B-rad's gear list:B-rad's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads