rx1 vs rx100 vs nex-7

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions
halfmonkey
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
rx1 vs rx100 vs nex-7
Jan 22, 2013

I know these cameras serve different target customers and you can't easily compare them because they are so different but what if...

First of all, let's take the cost out of the equation but let's keep the sizing factor in. I'm currently looking at purchasing a "traveling" camera where I can just have in my "pocket" for those random moments. I'll mainly be taking pictures of my family, two of which are young kids and very active. I know the nex-7 isn't as pocketable as the other two and so it's relatively pocketable compared to a regular dslr.

For each of their benefits and disadvantages (again not considering cost), which would you choose and why? Please keep in mind, that I'll be primarily shooting my family so with the nex-7 having the ability to change to say a wide angle lens isn't really going to benefit me for this particular use.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. I messed around with the rx1 at the store and I really like it but the fixed lens especially at 35mm kind gives me pause. I understand this is a fairly usable walk around lens and it still allows the camera to be compact but maybe if it had a little bit of zoom and stabilization, it would be nice.

The nex-7 is nice but I don't really care for the folding screen as it's really a gimmick and adds cost and weight and heft. If it were to articulate in any way that I would have preferred, it would be to articulate so that I can see the screen from the front of the camera such as in self portraits photos. The other thing about the nex-7 is the fact that it doesn't really have any quality lenses to go with the camera. From what I see, it does have one and that's the same cost as the body only. At that point, you're about $700 away from the rx1, which I would probably say may be the better camera at that point, since it's way smaller, has a full size sensor, and quite possibly a better integrated lens.

THe rx100 is a great camera and priced well. I would say that if I were shopping for a pocket camera, this would totally fit the bill but I wouldn't mind kicking it to the next level and maybe spending the money if it were worth it and having a larger sensor might be worth it.

Also, do I hold out for the rx2 and allow Sony to better the camera because I think it can be tweaked a little bit to improve upon an already great camera?

Your thoughts?...

halfmonkey's gear list:halfmonkey's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: rx1 vs rx100 vs nex-7
In reply to halfmonkey, Jan 22, 2013

You are really all over the place with the three cameras you chose. They are entirely complementaryweather than competitive. I happen to have all three.

For really active children, you might really want a DSLR. Something like a Nikon D5200. (Or if Sony an A65.) I don't think these other cameras are going to lock on focus fast enough or track them well enough. I'm drawing this conclusion after sterring a coworker to a V1, which he didn't like (messed up auto mode too slow shutter speed). He borrowed my RX100, loved that, but still missed shots of his kids. He tried a Nikon 3200 and was satisfied.

As for the flip screen, don't knock it. It makes a huge difference in shooting and what kind of shots you can get. Eye level finders tend to give you only eye level angles.

Also touch focus/shutter is phenomenal (no touch on NEX-7). The best mirrorless available now for that would be the Olympus OM-D.

The NEX-7 24mm combination is pretty snappy, ayou you can maybe find it used. Mine is available cheap, since the RX1 has to be paid for somehow. But you probably need a DSLR for your subject.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maxuci
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?

The articulating screen is anything but a gimmick. My biggest complaint about the rx1 is lack of articulating screen, even more so than lack of viewfinder. Is there a reason you picked the NEX-7 of the NEX series? I would suggest looking at the NEX-F3, which does have a screen that can fully hinge up  for self portraits.

IMO, focus speed of the RX-1 will not be fast enough for capturing your kids. What I have found with the NEX cameras is that focus speed is very dependent on the lens. The fastest in my experience are the SEL24Z and the SEL18200. The kit and the SEL50f18 are slower in comparison. But echoing what the other response said, perhaps consider a DSLR.

I've never used the RX100 so I cannot comment there.

tesilab
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Jan 22, 2013

Excuse the typos in above, get weird "corrections" from my iphone in conjunction with this "improved" editor.

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?

For shooting kids and pets get a Nikon N1. None of the Sony's you mention are the right tools for this, unless you do know how to zone focus.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill RX100 III Leica M9 +1 more
ATAR1
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?

Wow... I've got all three as well!  Get the RX1 - the sensor is pretty fantastic. The detail available is amazing and very cropable - so I don't miss the zoom too much.

However, I DO miss the articulating screen.  That's the main thing that's missing on the RX1.

ATAR1's gear list:ATAR1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
halfmonkey
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
In reply to ATAR1, Jan 22, 2013

Definitely understand that none of these cameras are quite suited for action shots and a dslr will be better. I'm waiting for the 7D II to be released. Canon, hurry up!

I do understand that having an articulating screen is better than not having one because at least having one may come in handy whereas if you don't, it wouldn't matter if it might help or not because you don't have an articulating screen to begin with.

I'm just really looking at the funtionality of a pocket camera. The rx100 is a true pocket camera and I guess I'm just wondering if either the nex-7 or rx1 would be overkill for getting a pocket camera, even though the nex-7 isn't really that small? I put the rx1 in the discussion because I'd like to just hear people's thoughts on this camera. It's awesome that Sony even released it but to be able to put a full size sensor on a relatively pocketable camera is awesome. Yes, there are some things I would change on the rx1 but for the most part, I think Sony did a great job with the camera.

halfmonkey's gear list:halfmonkey's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?

Get two:

Canon 650D + Sony RX100.

The Canon for action with the kids. The Sony as a take anywhere camera. Still cheaper than the RX1 and far more flexible and effective.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +16 more
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,994Gear list
Like?

I second what others have said about the wonderful NEX-7 articulating screen. It lets you take low (eg, waist or ground level) or high (overhead) shots very conveniently, and I do wish that my RX100 had one as well, but not, of course, at the cost of making it larger. What's slightly surprising is that the RX100 has a few high-end features that the NEX-7 lacks, such as memories. I also like its discrete, near-silent shutter compared to the machine gun rattle of the NEX.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
tesilab
Like?

The RX100 is the only one I would call pocketable. And while it is impressive how close the RX1 is in size compared to the tiny RX100, you could only squeeze the RX1 into a coat pocket -- if you dared to do that with such an expensive camera.

And though neither of them have viewfinders, due to the shirt pocketability of the RX100, we can excuse it. But the RX1 gets no such pass. Once you spend the money for that kind of quality you want the add-on EVF, and then it's all over--no more pockets for you, coat or otherwise.

RezaTravilla
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
In reply to halfmonkey, Jan 23, 2013

Depend on what u need it....

RX1 indeed the most powerful P&S camera but only over 35mm. I'm sure u will feels so limited with single focal length. Happy for a while, and then feels bored with it.

RX100 main strong advantages are pocketable and the second best of the largest sensor on it's class (number 1 is Canon G1X but it's not pocketable). But RX100 don't have hotshoe.

NEX7 has all of it but the lens is kinda crap. Only SEL 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, CZ 24mm f1.8 (which i found not so different with 50mm, the price is not equal with it's benefit) were considered good.

All of them have peaking mode, which is helping on focusing on manual focus (open youtube and search peaking mode sony) but with NEX7, the accuracy more dependable since it has electronic viewfinder. Ah! also NEX7 can change many lenses. I'm also use Sony NEX5n besides RX100, and find a joy playing with peaking mode. I use Nikkor lens and Carl Zeiss lens (the old ones, 1949's i think)

Here is the example of combination Sony NEX5n + Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 Red T* 12 blades.

In the end, depend on what u need. RX1 already packaged with wonderful lens but it's a fix lens. RX100 also packaged with wonderful lens which is zoom lens 28-100mm. Sony NEX7 packaged with crap lens but we can change lenses and play with the old manual lenses.

Compared to all of them, RX100 is the champion of the pocket size tournament and easy to become stealth.

The quality also superb. Here is the example

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Vet3shaws
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
In reply to ATAR1, Jan 24, 2013

With my experience owning all of these 3 in question, my least favorite was the rx100.  Perhaps it was a bad copy, but it missed almost all the shots.  The color and white balance was great, with a genuine sony signature full of great color and dynamic contrast.  But because my subject was my young family with 2 kids, it was a poor choice.

I mention perhaps it was a "bad copy" because most people say the rx100 has better focusing then the rx1.  But in my practice, the rx1 hit most of my shots.  I love the rx1 and believe it may be the best for you, because the combination of the 24MP resolution and excellent low-noise performance at high ISO allows extreme versatility and equivalent focal lengths.  It's unheard of, truly!  I have a series of shots you can see that I took with only the rx1 here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/vincentshaw/sets/72157632324849915/

Lastly, onto the Nex-7:  I went back to the Nex-7 to eventually sell it and all my 6 lenses.  The articulating lens is not a gimmick, and I find it something that achieves many shots for my kids that are very special.  So much, that it was even something I missed more than my beloved Nex-7's EVF.  The RX1's lack of built-in EVF is a small let down, but if you need one, the EVF add-on is nice.  If it's important to you, consider it in the total price comparison.  Since I realize it doesn't matter that much to me, I'm moving on to the RX1 as soon as I can.

By the way, the RX1 is portable enough to fit in my large jacket pockets, but not the Nex-7 with my 24mm CZ.  But when the heat is up, I'll probably just have it around my neck, with a low-key strap.

Vet3shaws's gear list:Vet3shaws's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,395
Like?
In reply to Vet3shaws, Jan 24, 2013

RX100 hands down then RX1 or RX2 in time….RX100 is a great family camera indoors and out...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/sets/72157630570453794/

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,995Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Jan 24, 2013

Dont know about the other two, but the best camera is the one you have with you, the rx100 is so easy to take it's ridiculous, and a great camera.

you can get great shots of kids and pets, using easily changed settings for that, and, it has and I tried tracking focus once, it was amazing, it followed Cooper's head thru the room, he went around the corner, when he came back, it picked up his head again, he came close, back turned, suddenly turned his head , presto:

tracking focus got this fast and momentary head turn.

I could not live without zoom, here is what the rx100 zoom options are:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9701497431/albums/rx100-extended-optical-and-clear-zoom

go long, whatever you buy will last a few years, that's how I justify going for a higher price if I want something.

Good luck, Elliott

Jason Reuschlein
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Jan 26, 2013

Did you do any post processing in your shots? They look great!

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,395
Like?
In reply to Jason Reuschlein, Jan 26, 2013

Jason Reuschlein wrote:

Did you do any post processing in your shots? They look great!

Hi Jason…thanks!…They were all PP'd with free windows software Windows Photo Gallery, the Sony jpegs are that good for sure, and this was my first RX100, actually one of the first in the U.S., since then I bought a new RX100 and it is even sharper than this one that took these photos!…really amazing camera...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Jan 26, 2013

Certainly the RX100 does a great job for its intend purpose... always available for documenting the moment well.  I suppose the biggest limitations I see with this camera vs. what it is being compared against is the slowness of the lens as you zoom out and the what I think is significant edge distortion and softness when you zoom in.  There is also the fact it is a less intimate photographic experience, if that is what you are seeking, due to lack of manual controls and EVF.

Of course there is no zoom out feature with the RX1 but certainly amazing in many dimensions at the 35mm focal length.  It provides the greatest opportunity for an amazing photograph (vs. "neat" or "cool" or "memorable" or "nice"), but also has significant limitations.

The NEX 7 is in between in IQ and is the least compact... would also say it is in the middle from a photographic experience perspective, but closer to the RX1.  If you go for the big fat zoom option you meet the focal length flexibility but not the size of the RX100 and will suffer more dragging the thing around.  If you just use the 24mm prime, you get very good IQ, but not the size of the RX1 and will still suffer dragging the thing around (but definitely not as much as with the RX100).

In my opinion, the RX1/RX100 combo, if money is a lesser concern, would provide greater satisfaction day in and day out than a NEX 7 and a bag full of lenses.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
karlreed
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
For the OP, somethig really different..rx1 vs rx100 vs nex-7
In reply to RezaTravilla, Jan 31, 2013

Pocketability is a big issue, and, so too is focus speed for the OP. These combos should catch your kids.

One of the fastest (maybe THE fastest) camera I have played with is the Nikon V1. It equals or beats my D700 in normal light. IQ is very good to 1600iso, and, I think most people will learn to live with the strange ergonomics. But, its not really pocketable, BUT, Ted's camera in Australia have the two-lens V1 kit for A$599.

For something really different, try an Olympus PL-5 with the Panasonic 14-24mm power zoom lens. 'Not a cheap combo, but, just pocketable, and, the AF in normal light is very good, has a hinged screen, plus, IQ is good (above 3200 iso, it would beat my D700, but curiously enough, not below).

Its a mad combination, however, it will give you extremely good IQ, reasonable compactness, and an entry to the m4/3 world with modest cost cameras and great lenses.

However, if you less adventuresome, have a look at the Sony NEX 6, with the 16-50mm power zoom. This is a bit more expensive than the Olympus Pl-5/Pany 14-42 power zoom, but it has an EVF already.

-- hide signature --

karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads