Like?
Re: Hoods no good.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Jan 22, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

tedolf wrote:

they make a thing called a lens hood.

The rubber ones are best.

Tedolph

As mentioned a few times, a lens hood does not help when the sun is in the frame.

I think it might work for No. 4, the Sun is just at the edge of the frame.

In fact if you think about it, the lens hood probably adds problems because the sun light is hitting the lens front and also may be reflected off parts of the inside of the hood (matt black paint isn't perfect black and fully light absorbent) thus adding to the problem.

Regards..... Guy

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens flare normal, purple flare not so much
In reply to Savas Kyprianides, Jan 23, 2013

Savas Kyprianides wrote:

What's a multi-AR feature? What model Panny is a good one to look for?

To facilitate video without straight "cropping" the frame (this probably happened because Panasonic had video in mind for m43 from the ground up, step-less aperture, power zooming, ect, but the legacy 4:3 sensor design was going to have be cropped top and bottom - losing angle of view on the lenses - to match the HDTV standard of 16:9) the GH1 and GH2 sensors were both designed oversized on the horizontal axis.  There is a diagram near the bottom of this page and an explanation:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2/

As a feature it is endlessly fascinating, and I probably adjust the AR more than I adjust the aperture or ISO.  Basically it allows you to tailor framing in camera and avoid extensive cropping afterwards.  Where it makes the most difference is in UWA lenses.  There even a slight extension of the frame brings in objects that cannot be captured outside of image stitching (often difficult with UWA where foreground objects can create parallax errors).  ie: 16:9 when you need a vista, or 4:3 when you want the foreground to feature prominently.  Paired with the 7-14 this is an extremely effective combination.  I can only hope that Panasonic manages to get, errm, "someone", to fabricate them a custom multi-AR sensor in time for the GH4.  For now at least, only the Panasonic made GH1/GH2 sensors have this feature (and the G5 with a modified GH2 sensor, though the multi-AR feature is currently disabled... on the hardware or firmware level, as of yet unknown).

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
an iconic shot
In reply to Bob Tullis, Jan 23, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

Purple flare aside, here's a curious result with the 7-14. . . just out of view was a cross walk sign, not quite shielded by the hood on the lens.

I remember when you first posted this shot, and I still can't get over it   If there is ever a "flare" photo competition on dpreview, it is sure to get my vote!

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
awb1000
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with the lens 9-18 Oly
In reply to MatsP, Jan 23, 2013

I've been using the 9-18mm on an EPL-1 for 2 years, now the EPL-5.  I have the Oly lens hood, usually have a circular polarizer on, and try to keep the direct sun out of the frame unless I want to deliberately get flare.

awb1000's gear list:awb1000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
astone
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with the lens 9-18 Oly
In reply to awb1000, Jan 23, 2013

As I promised for your evaluation I’m placing some other images, which were taken at the same time and the same place.  No purple fringes were observed.

And again please disregard the content.  They all were taken to experiment with bright sun light.

astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
idiotekniQues
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?
Just got my 9-18
In reply to astone, Jan 23, 2013

sold my panny 7-14 last week, the 9-18mm just showed up today.

i went outside and around the house and tried my best to get purple flare by aiming at the sun from every angle and at every bright light in the house (where i could create purple ghosting with the 7-14 a bit less than half the time)

not a bit of purple yet. going to go to my sisters house to shoot the interior again, where i tried twice with the panny 7-14mm and could not avoid purple ghosting in most rooms.

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

idiotekniQues's gear list:idiotekniQues's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
astone
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got my 9-18
In reply to idiotekniQues, Jan 23, 2013

idiotekniQues wrote:

i went outside and around the house and tried my best to get purple flare by aiming at the sun from every angle and at every bright light in the house (where i could create purple ghosting with the 7-14 a bit less than half the time)

not a bit of purple yet. going to go to my sisters house to shoot the interior again, where i tried twice with the panny 7-14mm and could not avoid purple ghosting in most rooms.

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

Why did you sell your 7-14?

astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,585Gear list
Like?

astone wrote:

idiotekniQues wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

I'd suspect it was about that last paragraph [g].

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Savas Kyprianides
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,376
Like?
Re: Lens flare normal, purple flare not so much
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Jan 23, 2013

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Savas Kyprianides wrote:

What's a multi-AR feature? What model Panny is a good one to look for?

To facilitate video without straight "cropping" the frame (this probably happened because Panasonic had video in mind for m43 from the ground up, step-less aperture, power zooming, ect, but the legacy 4:3 sensor design was going to have be cropped top and bottom - losing angle of view on the lenses - to match the HDTV standard of 16:9) the GH1 and GH2 sensors were both designed oversized on the horizontal axis. There is a diagram near the bottom of this page and an explanation:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2/

As a feature it is endlessly fascinating, and I probably adjust the AR more than I adjust the aperture or ISO. Basically it allows you to tailor framing in camera and avoid extensive cropping afterwards. Where it makes the most difference is in UWA lenses. There even a slight extension of the frame brings in objects that cannot be captured outside of image stitching (often difficult with UWA where foreground objects can create parallax errors). ie: 16:9 when you need a vista, or 4:3 when you want the foreground to feature prominently. Paired with the 7-14 this is an extremely effective combination. I can only hope that Panasonic manages to get, errm, "someone", to fabricate them a custom multi-AR sensor in time for the GH4. For now at least, only the Panasonic made GH1/GH2 sensors have this feature (and the G5 with a modified GH2 sensor, though the multi-AR feature is currently disabled... on the hardware or firmware level, as of yet unknown).

-- hide signature --

-CW

Thanks, very detailed.

Savas Kyprianides
Like?

astone wrote:

idiotekniQues wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

I returned my 7-14 within the return window because I was getting purple flare indoors near a light source, without direct light in the frame. I knew about the flare going in, but figured a lot of my stuff is interior and that I'd be immune to the effect.

idiotekniQues
Like?

excessive purple ghosting, including while shooting interiors which is a primary purpose for this lens.

real estate shooting can equate to paid gigs. no way in heck i could go to a client with the 7-14mm with the decent chance the shots would be unusable.

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
idiotekniQues
Like?
yiasou savas!
In reply to Savas Kyprianides, Jan 24, 2013

how are you,

eimai kypreos! apou pou eisai?

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

idiotekniQues
Like?
Shot 1st property with 9-18
In reply to idiotekniQues, Jan 31, 2013

absolutely no purple flare. thank the lord. i do kind of miss the extra 2mm of wideness however it helps keep me more disciplined and avoid the extra distortion that 7mm vs 9mm brings.

but the flare issue is gone.

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

Savas Kyprianides
Like?
Re: yiasou savas!
In reply to idiotekniQues, Jan 31, 2013

idiotekniQues wrote:

how are you,

eimai kypreos! apou pou eisai?

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

Kala, efcatisto. Esi?