How can any wedding photographer get the shots with the 800?

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions
Craig
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,580
Like?
How can any wedding photographer get the shots with the 800?
Jan 21, 2013

I have a D700 and D3s and I am perfectly happy with the focusing ability of those two cameras and can't imagine missing all kinds of shot because of focusing problems. I grab, aim shoot...I cant wait for it to make up its mind.

Nikon please just take the D3s or D4 sensor and stick it into a D700 body and we are good to go.. thanks.

Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 878Gear list
Like?
What are you talking about?
In reply to Craig, Jan 21, 2013

What are you talking about??

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
Re: What are you talking about?
In reply to Al Giordano, Jan 21, 2013

Al Giordano wrote:

What are you talking about??

You don't know?

rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,039Gear list
Like?
Re: What are you talking about?
In reply to primeshooter, Jan 21, 2013

Today does seem to be 'beat up on the D800 AF system day'.  Somebody have a bad weekend or something?

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,491Gear list
Like?
Re: How can any wedding photographer get the shots with the 800?

Craig wrote:

I have a D700 and D3s and I am perfectly happy with the focusing ability of those two cameras and can't imagine missing all kinds of shot because of focusing problems. I grab, aim shoot...I cant wait for it to make up its mind.

Nikon please just take the D3s or D4 sensor and stick it into a D700 body and we are good to go.. thanks.

Hello Craig. To answer your question: In studio.

My D700 and D3ss are working full time. The 800... and the D4...

regards

Raul

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

Your subject line and message content have nothing to do with each other. What on earth are you talking about? My D800 focuses just fine, shoots incredible images, and I would have no issues taking it to a wedding.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,291Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raul, Jan 21, 2013

Raul wrote:

Craig wrote:

regards

Raul

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

Ah, Raul . . . your my hero. I don't know where some of these folks come from.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +21 more
Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,264Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raul, Jan 21, 2013

Raul wrote:

Craig wrote:

regards

Raul

Thats nice, have you ever shot a wedding ?

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,430Gear list
Like?
Looks like new cams focus better not worse
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
Re: Looks like new cams focus better not worse
In reply to Daniel Clune, Jan 21, 2013

Daniel Clune wrote:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/autofocus-reality-part-4-nikon-full-frame

-- hide signature --

Exactly. I trust roger at lensrentals more than people on internet forums.

My d800 is fine. It's not perfect every single time, but NO camera is perfect every single time.

36mp is simply helping you to notice the little errors. I absolutely guarantee that the D700, D3, D3s or D3x were any better. You're just noticing more with the d800 therefore it "seems" worse.

I get those subtle AF errors too sometimes but if you view the file at 12mp size, it's absolutely fine.

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Steve Bingham
Like?
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, Jan 22, 2013

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Raul wrote:

Craig wrote:

regards

Raul

Funny! You might want to do a little research!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +21 more
Shaun_Nyc
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jan 22, 2013

:-OSteve Bingham wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Raul wrote:

Craig wrote:

regards

Raul

What should I research ? Do you have wedding experience w the D800 ?

Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
Steve Bingham
Like?
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, Jan 22, 2013

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Raul wrote:

Craig wrote:

regards

Raul

Nope. Dozens - with film though (a hundred times slower than a D800). Hated it. Switched to commercial. Much more money, much less work. Do you have any idea who Raul is . . . or what he does? Hmmmm. Research maybe? How about you? Can we see some of your D800 wedding photos? Please. I will be gentle.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Craig
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,580
Like?
In reply to u007, Jan 22, 2013

I am only basing on what I have read on this forum about the many complaints on the 800 focusing issues.

I am not knocking other peoples preferences but I know what i need. Split second focusing that nails it.

I do believe the camera would be fine if you are shooting subjects that you have time to make sure you have correct focus, like formals, but even then some are saying the camera with some lens has problems.

Plus the 12 MP.s has more than enough res. for what I need.

RP McMurphy
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
In reply to Craig, Jan 22, 2013

Craig wrote:

I am only basing on what I have read on this forum about the many complaints on the 800 focusing issues.

I am not knocking other peoples preferences but I know what i need. Split second focusing that nails it.

I do believe the camera would be fine if you are shooting subjects that you have time to make sure you have correct focus, like formals, but even then some are saying the camera with some lens has problems.

Plus the 12 MP.s has more than enough res. for what I need.

So, you are complaining about the AF ability of a camera you do not own and apparently you do not need and comparing it to a camera you do own which is enough for you

Sounds to me like you really want one and are doing your best to convince yourself it's not worth it so you feel better about what you have

Mine focuses spot on, left sensor and all. If I view at 100% then I can sometimes see some areas where it hasn't been perfect, but if I zoom out to a viewing distance comparable with 12mp then it's perfect.

When I had 6mp in my D50, I thought that was all I would need, until I got my D200. Of course not everybody has the technique to get the most out of 36mp, but then there is always the option of reducing it to 12 or 18mp and again it comes out great.

However thank you for the detailled critique of something you have no experience of, very informative

joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
In reply to Craig, Jan 22, 2013

The more you go up in resolution, the more critical focusing becomes.   In any format.    I don't mean to be rude, but he real and/or alleged focusing issues with the D800 is something us "old guys" learned years ago with film.

When i first jumped form 35mm to 120, i found I had to slow down and focus better.  When I bought my first 4x5 (still sue it too), I really had to slow down and learn to fine focus.  with my 8x10, man, it like you take forever to focus and make sure every corner is sharp and the way you like it.

With the D800, everyone, IMO,  is just learning that lesson over again.   there is a reason why the D4 is "only" 16mp and not 32 mp - you need the speed in many situations.

Someday i might upgrade from my D700 to a D800, but I think, if it helps, people should think of the D800 as the "large format" of the digital SLRs.  Back in the days of film, shooting a sports event, I never pulled out my 4x5 or even my 120, I used my 35mm.

The real issue, IMO, there no real replacement for the D700 at this moment.  I've said this before - the D4 is too exepnsive for me, the D600 is a serious amature camera and the D800 is a serious camera for artistic work.    What would be nice is an updated D700.

b33g33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
lol

Classic response Steve.

This place. Sigh.

-- hide signature --

What you know imprisons you

b33g33's gear list:b33g33's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +4 more
RP McMurphy
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
In reply to joneil, Jan 22, 2013

joneil wrote:

What would be nice is an updated D700.

Why do you need an updated D700 - FPS only?

Unless you want heavy build and high fps then the d800 can be used and you just output to a lower resolution with the added advantages of more detail at 12mp than a D700 can give you

I really do not understand why a D700 user wanting a new camera cannot find what they want in a D600 or a D800, I would have thought that basically those wanting less MP, more fps and a D800 quality body would not be that plentiful in number

I can understand Nikon's point of view - there maybe a niche in the market, but is there a market in the niche?

For those that still aren't happy, there's always Canon

And I would warrant more have switched from Canon than the other way round

Shaun_Nyc
Like?
In reply to RP McMurphy, Jan 22, 2013

RP McMurphy wrote:

joneil wrote:

What would be nice is an updated D700.

Why do you need an updated D700 - FPS only?

Unless you want heavy build and high fps then the d800 can be used and you just output to a lower resolution with the added advantages of more detail at 12mp than a D700 can give you

I really do not understand why a D700 user wanting a new camera cannot find

Psssst RP..., fyi most folks dont shoot weddings in jpg or have all day waiting for the buffer to clear

Shaun_Nyc
Like?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Raul wrote:

Craig wrote:

regards

Raul

Nope. Dozens - with film though (a hundred times slower than a D800). Hated it.

ok next ---->

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads