GR Digital V has an APS-C sensor

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions
BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,741Gear list
Like?
Re: GR Digital V has an APS-C sensor
In reply to slappo, Jan 21, 2013

No idea if this source is trustworthy or not, but it might be correct, could confirm the patent for the recent f1.9 lens for an apsc.

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Earthrise
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?

Fingers crossed, fingers crossed

Earthrise's gear list:Earthrise's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron +1 more
rondom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264
Like?
Leica x1-2 type camera?

it will be interesting. I still would have preferred the smaller 1" sensor as that would mean a smaller body. But I am glad 1/1.7" will be dropped.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 26,805
Like?

re: the mention of Leica X1/X2

I've been using my X2 an awful lot because of the stunning quality photos it makes, along with its very compact size and excellent controls, so Ricoh producing a competitor of Comparable quality can only be a good thing.

-- hide signature --
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Jan 21, 2013

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

No idea if this source is trustworthy or not, but it might be correct, could confirm the patent for the recent f1.9 lens for an apsc.

What focal length was the patent for?

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
rondom
Like?
End of a12 28?

I assume this will also mean that GRD will be competing against the GXR A12 units, especially the a12-28, considering that it will retain the same field of view as the classic GRD line. interesting Move from Ricoh. I wonder if they plan anything new for the gxr line. Maybe gxr will be home of the "full frame"?

rondom
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Jan 21, 2013

Godfrey, do you have the evf for x2 as well? Or is it  LCD only viewfinder for you?

i wonder if Ricoh is planning an evf for the new GRD?

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 21, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

What focal length was the patent for?

I found it, 27mm. That is the ideal all-round FL, IMO. I intend to use an FA 28mm f2.8 on my new K-01 most of the time.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 26,805
Like?
In reply to rondom, Jan 21, 2013

rondom wrote:

Godfrey, do you have the evf for x2 as well? Or is it LCD only viewfinder for you?

I have the EVF (I use the Olympus VF-2, which is the same unit as the Leica EVF) as well as a Voigtländer 35mm optical viewfinder. I find the EVF most useful when I want to work with the lens wide open as then I use AF more of the time and I can see what it's identified as the focus target. I use the OVF most of the time, setting the focus by zone as I normally do at f/5.6 to f/8. I use the LCD when it is the most convenient way to frame the shot ...

The X2 has proven itself a very worthwhile camera, if a trifle on the expensive side. It produces results on par in quality with both the GXR and M9, and is more sensitive than either. Clean rendering even at ISO 128000 setting! Check this out: Leica X2 Noise Evaluation

-- hide signature --
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,583
Like?

The news is a bit thin on the ground.  There have been a few rumours of a GRD with a larger sensor for a while.  This one is billed as from a reliable source, says "it is a bit thicker", is "based on the aps-c sensor" and there is not much else to report.

Well do we get the Ricoh take on the RX1?  What might the price be?  I am sure that they are not going to sell one for less than Sony, or might they?  Ricoh in it's own particular way would have to look closely at their interface and also difference it mightily from the RX1 or else the market clout of Sony would surely wipe a GRDV.

One thing is assured I will have to buy a GRDIV if the rumour proves to be true.  I have the early adopters syndrome - a GRD, GX100 & GRDIII, not a GRDII, GX200 & GRDIV.  I have not missed the GRDII or GX200 but the GRDIV has quite useful refinements over the "III" and as the last of the very capable compact small sensor compact GRD line the "IV" must be well worth owning.

I presume that Ricoh must be into some compact camera trickery as the GRDV with aps-c sensor would have to be  not much larger than the present GRDIV to be considered in the same class of camera.

The GRD to date has been in a class of it's own and a very capable camera, much lamenting that it needs a larger sensor but if it leaves the class it presently dominates there will be a large hole left to fill.

Time will tell, but I think there is not enough announced to be manning the lifeboats just yet.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

yonsarh
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Jan 22, 2013

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

if this rumor is correct than the 2 lens we saw here

was patent pending,(both are aps-c)

so GRD could go for interchangeable..... ?

lenseye
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?
In reply to slappo, Jan 22, 2013

This looks like a hoax to me! This looks identical to a GRD IV with some extention mounted! There is even a 43mm to 49mm step-up ring with some kind of Kenko filter on top!The weird angle the photo is taken at makes it come across as different...

Why would a leaked photo be taken at some place with livingroom carpeting? Shouldn't prototypes be in some lab somewhere? Nice try but it ain't fooling me!

And my DPreview editor does not recognize English for some reason!

b

iaredatsun
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
In reply to lenseye, Jan 22, 2013

lenseye wrote:

This looks like a hoax to me! This looks identical to a GRD IV with some extention mounted! There is even a 43mm to 49mm step-up ring with some kind of Kenko filter on top!The weird angle the photo is taken at makes it come across as different...

It's not a photo of a GRD V and does not pretend to be one - it's just a photo to flesh out the story. Read the credit:

'Image credit: Ricoh GR Digital IV by matsuyuki'

iaredatsun's gear list:iaredatsun's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital +5 more
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878
Like?
CP+ or bust
In reply to iaredatsun, Jan 22, 2013

There's been mention of ricoh revealing a new camera at the end of the month. I certainly hope this is it.

Ironically, I had my finger hovering over a "bid now" button in the last two minutes of an auction for a grd iv last night when all of a sudden we lost power.

Joel Stern
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,997Gear list
Like?

This would be interesting for sure if it turns out to be so.

Joel Stern's gear list:Joel Stern's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
lenseye
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?
In reply to iaredatsun, Jan 22, 2013

I stand corrected! But at least I was right on, you got to give me that much...

It was too much to stomach for a good reason!

thx,

b

rondom
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Jan 22, 2013

Godfrey wrote:

rondom wrote:

Godfrey, do you have the evf for x2 as well? Or is it LCD only viewfinder for you?

I have the EVF (I use the Olympus VF-2, which is the same unit as the Leica EVF) as well as a Voigtländer 35mm optical viewfinder. I find the EVF most useful when I want to work with the lens wide open as then I use AF more of the time and I can see what it's identified as the focus target. I use the OVF most of the time, setting the focus by zone as I normally do at f/5.6 to f/8. I use the LCD when it is the most convenient way to frame the shot ...

The X2 has proven itself a very worthwhile camera, if a trifle on the expensive side. It produces results on par in quality with both the GXR and M9, and is more sensitive than either. Clean rendering even at ISO 128000 setting! Check this out: Leica X2 Noise Evaluation

-- hide signature --

Impressive...and the high ISO has a lot of character. love the grain. Thanks for sharing.

Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,634
Like?
We can always hope...

With an APS-C sensor and a modest 18-33/2.8-4.0 lens (28-50mm equiv.) I might consider one. I'm not looking for another small-sensor camera unless it has a lens that offers very unique capabilities (range, macro, speed). The wide-angle prime lens in the current GR-D doesn't offer any unique capabilities, and no, it's optical quality does not offer anything exceptional when compared with wide-angle prime lenses for APS-C cameras.

Bottom line: Ricoh should go APS-C and compromise on lens speed. This way they can keep the small size but gain DSLR image quality, without compromising on low-light capabilities (the large sensor good SNR offsets the reduction in lens speed).

Prog.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,583
Like?
In reply to yonsarh, Jan 22, 2013

yonsarh wrote:

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

if this rumor is correct than the 2 lens we saw here

was patent pending,(both are aps-c)

so GRD could go for interchangeable..... ?

Hi ho, so two new mount modules ... Simple.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads