More joining Micro Four Thirds Group.

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
More joining Micro Four Thirds Group.
Jan 21, 2013

"Olympus has issued a press release confirming JK Imaging and four other companies have formally signed-up to the Micro Four Thirds standard. JK Imaging announced last week that it would be offering MFT cameras under the Kodak brand. Australian company Blackmagic Design, which already offers a movie camera with a passive Micro Four Thirds mount and is rumored to be working on a fully compliant version, also joins. The other three signatories are less consumer-facing.

Like Astrodesign, announced as joining in January 2012, Photron, ViewPlus and Sys-Vistek aren't looking to make cameras for the general public. Photron builds high-speed cameras for scientific and industrial research, while Sys-Vistek makes cameras used for the machine vision field (systems to provide visual input to machine and computer systems - such as automatically visually monitoring industrial processes). Finally, ViewPlus creates products that integrate sophisticated cameras and processing techniques to provide live feeds of two and three dimensional video."

I think this is good news. What do you think.

JK Imaging, Blackmagic Design and others join Micro Four Thirds

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: More joining Micro Four Thirds Group.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jan 21, 2013

I think it is and hope that will be good, but I think it will not affect the good way Olympus and Panasonic make the cameras and lenses. The one I am a bit curious to see what they will do is JK Imaging, branded Kodak.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Photo Grapher, Jan 21, 2013

Photo Grapher wrote:

I think it is and hope that will be good, but I think it will not affect the good way Olympus and Panasonic make the cameras and lenses. The one I am a bit curious to see what they will do is JK Imaging, branded Kodak.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Yes, I also want to see what kind of cameras and lenses are going to appear with the Kodak name.

But maybe the others that have joined also can show some good and useful products.

I think JK Imaging can be a company created by Olympus to buy the Kodak name and use it to sell more cameras and lenses.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,472
Like?

Sort of good news. What we need  is a much buzzier name,  not micro 4/3s.

-- hide signature --
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,695Gear list
Like?
My reaction

This really ups the ante in the competition for lenses. Personally I haven't sunk a lot of money into lenses yet at some point I know that's the next smartest upgrade for my gear. So the question becomes whether to stick with adapted lenses such as manual focus Nikon F and Leica M mounts that can be used on just about any camera body including the higher end SonyCaNikon? Or switch to purpose-built M43 lenses? Already many of the lenses available for M43 can compete optically with some of the pro lenses and are often quite a bit cheaper (because of marketing considerations and because there's less glass.) Right now I only have two M43 lenses - the kit lens and the 40-150 zoom. I prefer primes but have not spent any money on autofocus primes. Yet.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jan 21, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Sort of good news. What we need is a much buzzier name, not micro 4/3s.

True, a name that sounds good and simple, like Google

But Micro 4/3 is not a bad name. I think they are not going to modify that.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

maggiemole
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?

I've heard the system called EVIL. Snazzy enough? (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens).

Maggie

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: My reaction
In reply to LincolnB, Jan 21, 2013

LincolnB wrote:

This really ups the ante in the competition for lenses. Personally I haven't sunk a lot of money into lenses yet at some point I know that's the next smartest upgrade for my gear. So the question becomes whether to stick with adapted lenses such as manual focus Nikon F and Leica M mounts that can be used on just about any camera body including the higher end SonyCaNikon? Or switch to purpose-built M43 lenses? Already many of the lenses available for M43 can compete optically with some of the pro lenses and are often quite a bit cheaper (because of marketing considerations and because there's less glass.) Right now I only have two M43 lenses - the kit lens and the 40-150 zoom. I prefer primes but have not spent any money on autofocus primes. Yet.

Good point of view. Let's see who of the companies that have joined can make good micro 4/3 lenses at a good price. and with good IQ. But it will be very difficult to compete with Panasonic and Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to maggiemole, Jan 21, 2013

maggiemole wrote:

I've heard the system called EVIL. Snazzy enough? (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens).

Maggie

Enough yes. I have heard and read people calling that to Micro 4/3, but that name can also be applied to the other mirrorless cameras. It will be difficult to change now.

Panasonic Lumix call not on their site DSLM cameras (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless)

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Raffwal
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?

maggiemole wrote:

Not specific to m43 or µ4/3. There's still a lack of consensus about what to call all the mirrorless cameras. EVIL? MILC (mirrorless interchangable lens camera), ILC, CSC (compact system camera), ...

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Second thoughts.
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jan 21, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Sort of good news. What we need is a much buzzier name, not micro 4/3s.

-- hide signature --

We have a good logo. After posting my reply I imagined a conversation like this:

• What camera you have now ? 
  • I bought a Nex 7, it is very good and it's a Sony. 
  • Ah, fine. 

But the name has to be shared by Olympus and Panasonic Lumix. Not easy.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

X_Holger
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?

Oh, I think there is enough room for competition.

Most Olympus and Panasonic lenses are quite expensive and Sigma hasn't developed any specific m43 lenses up to now, the 19mm and 30mm lenses are better suited for the NEX.

X_Holger's gear list:X_Holger's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: There is room yes.
In reply to X_Holger, Jan 21, 2013

X_Holger wrote:

Most Olympus and Panasonic lenses are quite expensive and Sigma hasn't developed any specific m43 lenses up to now, the 19mm and 30mm lenses are better suited for the NEX.

There is room yes, but I don't know if these companies that have joined have the capability to mass produce cameras lenses or accessories to have competitive prices and maintain good quality.

I think the bigger of those is JK Imaging.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,866Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

"Olympus has issued a press release confirming JK Imaging and four other companies have formally signed-up to the Micro Four Thirds standard. JK Imaging announced last week that it would be offering MFT cameras under the Kodak brand. Australian company Blackmagic Design, which already offers a movie camera with a passive Micro Four Thirds mount and is rumored to be working on a fully compliant version, also joins. The other three signatories are less consumer-facing.

Like Astrodesign, announced as joining in January 2012, Photron, ViewPlus and Sys-Vistek aren't looking to make cameras for the general public. Photron builds high-speed cameras for scientific and industrial research, while Sys-Vistek makes cameras used for the machine vision field (systems to provide visual input to machine and computer systems - such as automatically visually monitoring industrial processes). Finally, ViewPlus creates products that integrate sophisticated cameras and processing techniques to provide live feeds of two and three dimensional video."

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

I think each manufacture needs to find its identity and how they want to be represented.

Are you a doing a consumer like up at a $300 price point or high end professional.

Some part of the technology will separate one from another so you can decided why one manufactures body and or lens system is better.

I actually like a closed system where the lens mount is the lens mount. It is clearer to see how the manufacture develops product. Canon & Nikon have like lenses focal length, f-stop etc.

Is one manufacture using one as a crutch.  MFT's may turn into what P&S are lots of cameras.

For example Panasonic has the 12-35 2.8 will Olympus do a 10-40 2.8 and what will make it different.  I don't know if this will make things more confusing or better and what will compel you to buy one over other if things are close.

Canon & Nikon do this with camera bodies. You usually have a like price point body between the two manufactures.

Will Micro Four Thirds turn into a DSLR body like the Nikon D90 but mirror less with smaller lenses and obviously a smaller body and less weight.  That would be really interesting if you could modify a Canon or Nikon body to mimic the Panasonic GH-3 form with a MFT's lens format.

Just saying an identity is what each manufacture should develop so its clear who the audience is.

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Jan 21, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

I think each manufacture needs to find its identity and how they want to be represented.

Are you a doing a consumer like up at a $300 price point or high end professional.

Some part of the technology will separate one from another so you can decided why one manufactures body and or lens system is better.

I actually like a closed system where the lens mount is the lens mount. It is clearer to see how the manufacture develops product. Canon & Nikon have like lenses focal length, f-stop etc.

Is one manufacture using one as a crutch. MFT's may turn into what P&S are lots of cameras.

For example Panasonic has the 12-35 2.8 will Olympus do a 10-40 2.8 and what will make it different. I don't know if this will make things more confusing or better and what will compel you to buy one over other if things are close.

Canon & Nikon do this with camera bodies. You usually have a like price point body between the two manufactures.

Will Micro Four Thirds turn into a DSLR body like the Nikon D90 but mirror less with smaller lenses and obviously a smaller body and less weight. That would be really interesting if you could modify a Canon or Nikon body to mimic the Panasonic GH-3 form with a MFT's lens format.

Just saying an identity is what each manufacture should develop so its clear who the audience is.

Nice view Ryan.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,809
Like?
Re: There is room yes.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

X_Holger wrote:

Most Olympus and Panasonic lenses are quite expensive and Sigma hasn't developed any specific m43 lenses up to now, the 19mm and 30mm lenses are better suited for the NEX.

There is room yes, but I don't know if these companies that have joined have the capability to mass produce cameras lenses or accessories to have competitive prices and maintain good quality.

I think the bigger of those is JK Imaging.

I think Blackmagic is already a name in the video business.The psychological impact will be huge. Like a user above I was v. wary if buying native AF lenses after the 4/3 disaster, but the latest news - metabones adapter and 4/3 adapter, in addition to those companies - are confidence building.

Perhaps even more significant is that Sony is delivering the sensors, in addition to Panny, so that we can be sure of having sensors up to scratch.

This sort of convergence in the camera world happens v. rarely and lasts a long time. Think of the Leica mount and of the M42 mount in the past, they are still the most universal in the legacy world. With the Metabones adapter we will have also cheap and fast UWAs which were so far the only limit of the 2x crop factor.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?

I think that this proliferation of MFT equipment is very good. Its main potential (as it was said above) is in the probable offer to the photographer of multiple lenses, in multiple FL, as more camera makes can use them.

This also means that the Olympus strategy, of IBIS, is a clear winner, or perhaps better, has a lot of potential, because all lenses will be usable in Olympus bodies with IS

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
OniMirage
Contributing MemberPosts: 990
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

What I was most struck by was the fact only Oly made the announcement, not Panasonic. So were these deals done by way of Oly alone and no hand by Panasonic? It was interesting reading the announcement with only Panny getting noted as being a part of the m4/3 consortium similar to how it was during the 4/3 days.

OniMirage
Contributing MemberPosts: 990
Like?

maggiemole wrote:

Maggie

I though that was already be used as "Electronic View Interchangeable Lens" camera.

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,695Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

LincolnB wrote:

This really ups the ante in the competition for lenses. Personally I haven't sunk a lot of money into lenses yet at some point I know that's the next smartest upgrade for my gear. So the question becomes whether to stick with adapted lenses such as manual focus Nikon F and Leica M mounts that can be used on just about any camera body including the higher end SonyCaNikon? Or switch to purpose-built M43 lenses? Already many of the lenses available for M43 can compete optically with some of the pro lenses and are often quite a bit cheaper (because of marketing considerations and because there's less glass.) Right now I only have two M43 lenses - the kit lens and the 40-150 zoom. I prefer primes but have not spent any money on autofocus primes. Yet.

Good point of view. Let's see who of the companies that have joined can make good micro 4/3 lenses at a good price. and with good IQ. But it will be very difficult to compete with Panasonic and Olympus.

Competition is good; it just makes the decision-making process more difficult!

Just look at the situation with some fast lenses. Rokinon has been selling their 35mm f/1.4 lens for about $550, Voigtlander has their 40mm f/2 for $490. Both are easily adapted to M43 with a $25 Nikon-to-M43 adapter. Now SLR Magic comes out with a M43 native 35mm 1.4 for $280. But you can't use the SLR Magic on a Nikon/Nex/Canon like the Rokinon and Voigtlander. Resale value and flexibility are less. Or how about Olympus's 75mm 1.8 vs. Rokinon's 85mm 1.4? $900 and autofocus vs. $300 and manual focus.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads