I almost bought the wrong 6D today...didn't know there were differences

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions
Sunpilot
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
I almost bought the wrong 6D today...didn't know there were differences
Jan 21, 2013

I'm just putting this out there in case anyone is looking around for a 6D sale.  I found a great price and called the seller in New Jersey, but after much discussion with him I found out the 6D he was selling did not come with wi-fi or GPS.  Also it had a limited warranty that was not from Canon, which I expected.  After reading many ads for the 6D on various seller websites I found that Canon does offer the camera without wi-f-i and GPS...they are for overseas markets, but find their way here through import resellers.  So, if you are in the market, please beware of what you are buying.  I believe the model labeled 6D (WG) body has the wi-fi and GPS.  Hope this helps someone avoid buying the wrong product.
You're never lost, because no matter where you go...there you are

Sunpilot's gear list:Sunpilot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,552Gear list
Like?
Re: I almost bought the wrong 6D today...didn't know there were differences
In reply to Sunpilot, Jan 21, 2013

Thanks for the info.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jjshooter
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the heads up! Heard there was a non GPS version, but thought it was a special order. Is there a big price difference between the two? Happy shooting!

jjshooter's gear list:jjshooter's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
Sunpilot
Like?
In reply to jjshooter, Jan 21, 2013

jjshooter wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! Heard there was a non GPS version, but thought it was a special order. Is there a big price difference between the two? Happy shooting!

I saw the body only listed at a Jersey dealer for $1794...that was non GPS and Wi-Fi...which he was reluctant to tell me until I kept asking about the price difference...so, I assume the warranty and GPS- WiFi is about $200 less

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,660Gear list
Like?

thanks, I had the impression that the non-Wifi/GPS versions were future discounted models. So they are already on the market ... This is going to cause a lot of confusion, strange that Canon gives them all the same model number

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Sunpilot
Like?
In reply to technic, Jan 21, 2013

It is certainly something to be aware of.  As I stated in my original remarks, I believe the designation (WG) refers to the body with the WiFi and GPS built in.  I read the product info on this particular website, and he had two versions available for about $200 difference in price, but of course, did not tell you up front what the differences were.  So, be aware if you find a "too good to be true" price!

-- hide signature --

Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?

I just checked at B&H, could not find this model. If there are plans to sell it in the US with a US warrentee I might be interested. I have read too many battery drain threads with GPS.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.
http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/
Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,701
Like?
In reply to Ben_Egbert, Jan 21, 2013

Ben_Egbert wrote:

I just checked at B&H, could not find this model. If there are plans to sell it in the US

I haven't heard of this model version previously, Since I don't have no use for Wi-Fi or GPS I'd definitely be interested in saving some money on one without those features.

Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
I have the (W) version

I bought my 6D (W) from Hong Kong...it's WiFi only, no GPS for a small discount ($50)

GTOz
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

The non Wifi and GPS version was created for sale in those jurisdictions where the local dictator or military junta thinks anybody with a GPS must be a spy or terrorist. I don't believe there is any intention for Canon to sell this one in more normal countries.

I don't think there is much of a production cost in adding these features, so the main discount you will see is due to the camera being a parallel "grey" import. (addit: I see Nigels's reply a couple of minutes ago- $50 difference for no GPS)

As far as battery drain is concerned, best solution is to leave the feature switched off unless required. You have about a thousand shots on a single battery, so if you go out with GPS enabled for a few hours you should be fine.

GTOz's gear list:GTOz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Sunpilot
Like?
In reply to rjjr, Jan 21, 2013

rjjr wrote:

Ben_Egbert wrote:

I just checked at B&H, could not find this model. If there are plans to sell it in the US

I haven't heard of this model version previously, Since I don't have no use for Wi-Fi or GPS I'd definitely be interested in saving some money on one without those features.

Check here...http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=47430  for the 6D without GPS and Wifi...price is $1769

-- hide signature --

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442Gear list
Like?

Apparently these are grey market versions. Be careful that you get a warranty that is recognized by Canon USA otherwise they may not repair your camera for no cost during the warranty period.  Another reason to shop reputable, authorized Canon dealers.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Silvex
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
This makes me wonder if what the interest level would be if...
In reply to rjjr, Jan 21, 2013

rjjr wrote:

Ben_Egbert wrote:

I haven't heard of this model version previously, Since I don't have no use for Wi-Fi or GPS I'd definitely be interested in saving some money on one without those features.

...Canon offered a 6D without WiFi/GPS, but an internal flash with wireless flash control?  Apparently, they occupy the same space.

Which would you prefer?

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954Gear list
Like?

This factor is at work with flashes, too. Members have posted that they bought a 600EX from a dealer in New Jersey, only to find that it lacked the radio trigger feature. Some countries prohibit some electronic features, so Canon makes dumbed-down models for those markets. This is not just a camera thing; consider the motor vehicles that are not available in countries with the most stringent rules regaring safety or pollution-contol equipment. For example, I would love to own a certain model of Land Rover, but the USA will not allow its importation, because it has no air bags.

Some dealers, such as B&H, are honest about their grey-market items. Others leave the grey-market factor unsaid, or will be deceptive.

I am not ranting against grey-market items. An educated buyer is what is important. I have recently considered a certain grey-market item, myself.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Sunpilot
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, Jan 21, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

This factor is at work with flashes, too. Members have posted that they bought a 600EX from a dealer in New Jersey, only to find that it lacked the radio trigger feature. Some countries prohibit some electronic features, so Canon makes dumbed-down models for those markets. This is not just a camera thing; consider the motor vehicles that are not available in countries with the most stringent rules regaring safety or pollution-contol equipment. For example, I would love to own a certain model of Land Rover, but the USA will not allow its importation, because it has no air bags.

Some dealers, such as B&H, are honest about their grey-market items. Others leave the grey-market factor unsaid, or will be deceptive.

I am not ranting against grey-market items. An educated buyer is what is important. I have recently considered a certain grey-market item, myself.

I agree with you....some resellers do cloud their advertisements.   I am not bashing them either, grey market or imports items have their place...just trying to inform people what to look out for...I almost pulled the trigger on this item...now I know better.

-- hide signature --

giuseppe pepperoni
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
That seller...

Sunpilot wrote:

Check here...http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=47430 for the 6D without GPS and Wifi...price is $1769

There are quote a few unkind comments about that particular seller on review sites.  Google their name and add the word "scam" and see what shows up.

Personally I think there are better choices in e-tailers if I were spending my money.

jjshooter
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Re: That seller...
In reply to giuseppe pepperoni, Jan 21, 2013

Not very good reviews for "digital depot online" neither. Scary sellers out there!

jjshooter's gear list:jjshooter's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,121Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ben_Egbert, Jan 21, 2013

Ben_Egbert wrote:

I might be interested. I have read too many battery drain threads with GPS.

There probably is an option to turn it off, just like on a phone.  Just turn it off when you don't want it to get attached to your photos.  I usually don't take photos in a single day that goes beyond a city or two in the same state, and I name the folder with the event or location so I really have no need for the position on earth being recorded into my photos.

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?
Re: I have the (W) version
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, Jan 21, 2013

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

I bought my 6D (W) from Hong Kong...it's WiFi only, no GPS for a small discount ($50)

If I could add GPS to one of my cameras for $50, I'd jump on it.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Re: I have the (W) version
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jan 22, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

If I could add GPS to one of my cameras for $50, I'd jump on it.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

I post on Panaramio, so I would love to have GPS embedded, but I really hate dead batteries. Getting used to a dinky battery after the 1DS-mk3 will be a big shock anyway.

I would consider an add on wi-fi remote and gps that ran on its own battery. Still considering a 5d-mk3, got one coming on loan tomorrow for try out. If it is not a lot better than my 1DS-mk3 at long exposure high iso, I will probably just get a 6D. But if it is good in that regard, I could see getting a wifi attachment.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.
http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/
Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads