Question about Nikon warranty transfer between owners

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions
losangeles
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
Question about Nikon warranty transfer between owners
Jan 21, 2013

I have a general question about Nikon warranty transfer. I decided to sell a D600 including 24-85 mm lens that is still unopened in the original packaging. Can I transfer the Nikon warranty to the person purchasing it from me? I purchased it through Amazon during the special deal period before Xmas, and don't know if they automatically write the warranty in the name of the purchaser. Shouldn't it be transferrable if the box is still unopened?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,853Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about Nikon warranty transfer between owners
In reply to losangeles, Jan 21, 2013

It is not a question of who opened the box. It is a question about who was the first owner of the camera - you in this case.

See the warranty (US) :

This warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only and is not assignable or transferable.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,501Gear list
Like?
In reply to TOF guy, Jan 21, 2013

TOF guy wrote:

It is not a question of who opened the box. It is a question about who was the first owner of the camera - you in this case.

See the warranty (US) :

This warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only and is not assignable or transferable.

-- hide signature --

Ditto.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?

Then there is the guy in the van down by the river with a mobile print shop who can come up with some nice looking receipts and documents too.

Mack

losangeles
Like?

Thank you. This still leaves the question how it is determined who is the first owner of the camera. I think this is what the person in the "For Sale and Wanted" thread section, where I posted the kit, is trying to find out.

It wouldn't make sense that this is the person purchasing it. Say I bought it as a gift for someone. The warranty should be in that person's name. So why can't it be in the name of the person buying it from me?

TOF guy wrote:

See the warranty (US) :

-- hide signature --

ron_9
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,682Gear list
Like?

Though I have no love lost for Nikon"s service, in fact I consider it to be very poor and with no bedside matters at all. I do think maybe we have lost sight of some ethics here......... You purchased the lens, you didn't buy it as a gift, and you are trying to sell---there is no warranty and you are trying to pull one over to sell it to a person who doesn't know about the warranties. Shame on them(Nikon), never ever shame on me---just a thought---ron s.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

ron_9's gear list:ron_9's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
losangeles
Like?
In reply to ron_9, Jan 21, 2013

ron_9 wrote:

Though I have no love lost for Nikon"s service, in fact I consider it to be very poor and with no bedside matters at all. I do think maybe we have lost sight of some ethics here......... You purchased the lens, you didn't buy it as a gift, and you are trying to sell---there is no warranty and you are trying to pull one over to sell it to a person who doesn't know about the warranties. Shame on them(Nikon), never ever shame on me---just a thought---ron s.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

Huh? What are you talking about? I'm not trying to "pull one over". Not sure what makes you think that. I"m simply trying to sell my D600 kit for a fantastic price instead of returning it to Amazon and want to make sure the warranty transfers officially, legally, fully, to the new owner.

It doesn't make sense that the warranty would be in the name of somebody who never used the camera.

The gift example is to illustrate the silliness of such a policy: would you want the warranty to be in your name if you gave the camera as a gift to someone? No, you wouldn't.

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202Gear list
Like?
In reply to GMack, Jan 21, 2013

GMack wrote:

Then there is the guy in the van down by the river with a mobile print shop who can come up with some nice looking receipts and documents too.

I'm sure there are other ways too. Good luck, and to your buyer too.

Mack

I'm pretty sure the vendors are sending the buyers name to Nikon (or whoever the manufacturer may be) at point of sale.  My local brick and mortor retailer has mentioned that as fact to me on every major purchase from them.

losangeles
Like?
In reply to Prairie Pal, Jan 21, 2013

Thanks. Just to clarify, I have not sold the camera yet but only posted it in the Sale forum (and on local Craig's list) today. I'll call Amazon tomorrow to see if the warranty can be transferred, and will post here what they say.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?

losangeles wrote:

Thank you. This still leaves the question how it is determined who is the first owner of the camera.

It's you-  unambiguously. You've owned the camera since the moment your payment went through. Maybe you'll be the owner of a camera and lens which you've never used, and this only for a few hours . You're still the owner.

Consider the following point just to illustrate the point. Say during these few hours your camera and lens get stolen. Who files the police report and makes a claim on stolenproperty ? You and not the person you intend to sell to. You are by legal definition the owner and that fact is undisputable.

It wouldn't make sense that this is the person purchasing it. Say I bought it as a gift for someone. The warranty should be in that person's name. So why can't it be in the name of the person buying it from me?

Good point. Nikon would most likely accomodate the fact that a camera was intended as a gift and accept the transfer of warranty. But here is the catch: you will get money in exchange of the kit you're selling. The person who gives a camera as a gift won't. So there is no question that in your situation it's not a gift and I'm sure that you agree on that definition. And it is an unambiguous definition.

How can Nikon tell that the camera was given as a gift and not sold right away by the first owner ? It can't. But that does not mean that the transfer of warranty applies in the latter situation. It just means that Nikon has to trust their customers to be honest, as I'm sure you are or you would not inquire about conditions which may mitigate the clauses about transfer of warranty.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
Warning from moderator - read this before posting

Keep any ideas suggesting dishonest, unethical and illegal actions to yourself.

Or else.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as moderator

DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,926
Like?
Re: Warning from moderator - read this before posting

If the paperwork for the warranty or the warranty was not registered online it may be available.  I think you can enter the serial number of the camera with Nikon to see if it was registered.  You would also have to supply the original sales receipt to whoever you sell it to.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
In reply to DaveOl, Jan 21, 2013

DaveOl wrote:

If the paperwork for the warranty or the warranty was not registered online it may be available. I think you can enter the serial number of the camera with Nikon to see if it was registered. You would also have to supply the original sales receipt to whoever you sell it to.

The serial number would not be registered since the O/P has been the only owner. Regardless, you seem unaware that Nikon's warranties are not transferable (at least in the US):

This is what the warranty (US) states:

Therefore the warranty is void the moment the camera is sold. This is something very important to know if you buy used Nikon equipment: you won't have any manufacturer warranty with it.

-- hide signature --

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
Maybe a solution to mitigate the loss of mfg warranty

Would be to buy an extended warranty. Make sure that they're transferable. Most are. Example: Mack Camera's - follow this link and click on the Benefits button)

There are caveats:

• They cost extra $, so you have to weight whether it's worth it: are you going to sell the kit for more than you would w/o extended warranty and is the difference going to be more than the additional cost in warranty ?
  • They usually kick in only after the original Nikon warranty expires: no coverage during the 1st year.
  • Regarding lens these warranties are typically sold for "grey market" items.

You may want to contact the companies which sell extended warranties and see if they would have a product exactly fit for your situation (applies right away not after mfg warranty etc). If not, they should create one !

-- hide signature --

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

TOF guy wrote:

DaveOl wrote:

If the paperwork for the warranty or the warranty was not registered online it may be available. I think you can enter the serial number of the camera with Nikon to see if it was registered. You would also have to supply the original sales receipt to whoever you sell it to.

The serial number would not be registered since the O/P has been the only owner. Regardless, you seem unaware that Nikon's warranties are not transferable (at least in the US):

Therefore the warranty is void the moment the camera is sold. This is something very important to know if you buy used Nikon equipment: you won't have any manufacturer warranty with it.

I wonder, how can a manufacturer enforce terms of a "shrink wrapped" licence or warranty which a purchaser can only read after purchase and after opening the box? The purchaser has no way of agreeing to such terms at the time of purchase, and normally cannot know about them until he actually opens the package and reads them. Stating a normal warranty on an unused product cannot be transferred to a third party sounds pretty invidious, and I wonder how could the purchaser have normally read and nominally agreed to those terms if he hasn't yet opened the box?

Of course manufacturers who impose such terms rely on nobody ever taking them to court and challenging them - which could turn out to be very expensive if one were to loose. I wonder if similar terms have ever been challenged in court. Are there any lawyers here who might have a better idea about this?

At least it might provide some sort of grounds for returning a product for a refund, even after a period of time.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Customer freindly terms

I wonder why camera companies can't have something customer friendly like this for their higher end cameras ....

"Dell makes it easy to transfer the warranty and ownership of certain Dell products from one owner to another owner and from one country to another. The transfer process can take up to 10 business days (domestic transfer) and up to 15 business days (international transfer)."

http://www.dell.com/support/retail/us/en/19/ownershiptransfer/IdentifySystem

After all, these cameras cost more than many computers.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Jan 21, 2013

I wonder, how can a manufacturer enforce terms of a "shrink wrapped" licence or warranty which a purchaser can only read after purchase and after opening the box?

The warranty terms can be read in the link I've posted. Nikon's support can be contacted before purchase to enquire about the terms of the warranty. The question may be asked to the seller. Or a forum   ! Etc. Most warranties are included within a box and cannot be read w/o opening the box. In fact I can't remember of a warranty printed on the box or a piece of paper attached to a box forany product I've bought. Yet all warranties have restrictions such as: not applicable to incidental damage, period covered by warranty, transferable or not, etc. Not being able to access the warranty information before opening the box does not preclude the warranty terms to apply.

The purchaser has no way of agreeing to such terms at the time of purchase, and normally cannot know about them until he actually opens the package and reads them.

You certainly to have to go a bit out of your way (do a web search, a call etc.) if that's important to you.

Stating a normal warranty on an unused product cannot be transferred to a third party sounds pretty invidious, and I wonder how could the purchaser have normally read and nominally agreed to those terms if he hasn't yet opened the box? (snip)

At least it might provide some sort of grounds for returning a product for a refund, even after a period of time.

Seems reasonable to me. It's a bit like software. You have to open the box to find the license terms. You're supposed to do that first if it matters to you. You are not to open the pouch containing the software if you disagree with the terms. And you are entitled to a full refund if you don't agree. But are we sure that there is no such process in place, either by law or from the seller or manufacturer ? Maybe you are allowed to open the box, read the warranty w/o disturbing the rest of the contents in the box (and certainly not unwrap the camera / lens) and if you don't agree you are entitled for a full refund.

-- hide signature --

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
Re: Customer friendly terms
In reply to CFynn, Jan 21, 2013

CFynn wrote:

I wonder why camera companies can't have something customer friendly like this for their higher end cameras ....

"Dell makes it easy to transfer the warranty and ownership of certain Dell products from one owner to another owner and from one country to another. The transfer process can take up to 10 business days (domestic transfer) and up to 15 business days (international transfer)."

Agree: this is one example where Nikon is not doing anything wrong, but their policies could be more customer friendly and in the end IMO brings them more business than what they would loose by occasionally servicing for free a camera which has been sold to a 3rd party and is still under warranty.

The other side of the coin is that some people mishandle their camera then sell them as is, possibly without telling the new owner what could be wrong with the camera. Nikon may not want to deal with sorting out damage done by a previous owner and fix to be done under warranty, in particular for a complex item such as a camera.

Having said that I have an 8 years / 125,000 miles (200,000 kms) mfg - warranty on my car and it's transferable to one owner !

-- hide signature --

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,682
Like?
You need original invoice for warranty service..

I guess no on posting here has ever used Nikon Service.

You need both the warranty card and purchase invoice to accompany the camera/lens for service. Now the name on the invoice is the name of the original purchaser. The warranty card and invoice names need to match.

Registering it online does nothing, it's just Nikon marketing gathering info. You need both the warranty card and invoice to get service performed.

Bob P.

losangeles
Like?
Re: Customer friendly terms

I'm just wondering if the warranty is so restrictive, do people ever sell Nikon cameras or are they basically tied to the original owner?

Specifically, as a result of this warranty issue am I guaranteed to have difficulties finding a buyer for my unopened brand new Nikon kit, even though I'm selling it for $600 below Amazon price?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads