X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions
widick
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.
Jan 20, 2013

I JUST PURCHASED AN X100.  I EXPECTED THE EVF IMAGE AND THE OVF IMAGE TO BE FAIRLY SIMILAR .  HOWEVER, WHEN I USE THE EVF THE IMAGE IS NOTHING LIKE THE IMAGE USING THE OVF.   AS AN EXAMPLE, BRIGHT WHITE CLOUDS AGAINST A BRIGHT BLUE SKY BECOME DULL GRAYISH CLOUDS AGAINST A DULL BLUE GRAY SKY. IS THIS A SETTING ISSUE OR A MALFUNCTION?  I HAVE BEEN USING F4 WITH ISO 200 AND A CAMERA SET SPPED OF 1/500.

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055
Like?
Re: X100 VIEWFINDER QUESTION.
In reply to widick, Jan 20, 2013

Please don't shout.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wetfop
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to ehazera, Jan 20, 2013

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world!  It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

Why not answer the question, with a polite note about forum etiquette. Looking back on previous posts it's obviously a mistake or hardware issue. Don't be so rude.

bugeyed
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?
In reply to wetfop, Jan 20, 2013

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world! It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

Why not answer the question, with a polite note about forum etiquette. Looking back on previous posts it's obviously a mistake or hardware issue. Don't be so rude.

I thought it was kinda funny, not nearly as "rude" as your response!

Did you answer the question?

OP, not sure if it's normal. The OVF can be brighter in some daylight situations & darker in dim light. Have you adjusted the brightness?

kev

-- hide signature --

I just think that things should work the way I expect them to.

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055
Like?

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

For goodness sake come into the real world! It's not shouting, it's capital letters. Do you know the answer to the question or not?

When someone uses  all capital letters in a forum environment, it's called shouting.

Welcome to the real world.

widick
Like?

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT WETFOP, I HAVE SOME VISION ISSUES AND I FIND THAT IT HELPS IF I CAN SEE WHAT I AM TYPING.

wetfop
Like?
In reply to ehazera, Jan 20, 2013

ehazera wrote:

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

When someone uses all capital letters in a forum environment, it's called shouting.

Yes I do know that. And if you'd had the foresight to look at previous posts you would see that the OP does too. As I said why not answer the OP's question,, and then add a polite note to remind of forum etiquette. To simply reply about his/her etiquette is rude.

To bugeyed...if you think being rude is funny, well it takes all sorts.  And in case you couldn't understand my post I was taking to ehazera not the OP, so no I didn't answer the question.

Stephenbw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,377Gear list
Like?

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

wetfop wrote:

ehazera wrote:

Please don't shout.

When someone uses all capital letters in a forum environment, it's called shouting.

Yes I do know that. And if you'd had the foresight to look at previous posts you would see that the OP does too. As I said why not answer the OP's question,, and then add a polite note to remind of forum etiquette. To simply reply about his/her etiquette is rude.

To bugeyed...if you think being rude is funny, well it takes all sorts. And in case you couldn't understand my post I was taking to ehazera not the OP, so no I didn't answer the question.

As you are new to the forums I have little to go on, so I will assume you were being deliberately ironic when you replied to a post simply about etiquette, to upbraid someone else for doing the same.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Stephenbw's gear list:Stephenbw's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-T1
widick
Like?
In reply to bugeyed, Jan 20, 2013

I'd better go back to lower case so I don't excite the Capital police.  The only brightness control I can find works only for the LCD display ( goodness hope that's not too many capitals ).   Is there a control for the evf?  I've read the the x100 EVF was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I sure couldn't judge what kind of picture I would get through mine.  I also forgot to mention i was using aut white balance.

bugeyed
Like?

widick wrote:

I'd better go back to lower case so I don't excite the Capital police. The only brightness control I can find works only for the LCD display ( goodness hope that's not too many capitals ). Is there a control for the evf? I've read the the x100 EVF was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I sure couldn't judge what kind of picture I would get through mine. I also forgot to mention i was using aut white balance.

You may be right about the EVF brightness. I will check too.

BTW If you need to use CAPS because of your vision, be my guest. It is a bit harder to read, but better than those posts without punctuation!

CHEERS,
KEV

-- hide signature --

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,287Gear list
Like?

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. It's normal for an electronic viewfinder.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +14 more
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?

widick wrote:

I JUST PURCHASED AN X100. I EXPECTED THE EVF IMAGE AND THE OVF IMAGE TO BE FAIRLY SIMILAR . HOWEVER, WHEN I USE THE EVF THE IMAGE IS NOTHING LIKE THE IMAGE USING THE OVF. AS AN EXAMPLE, BRIGHT WHITE CLOUDS AGAINST A BRIGHT BLUE SKY BECOME DULL GRAYISH CLOUDS AGAINST A DULL BLUE GRAY SKY. IS THIS A SETTING ISSUE OR A MALFUNCTION? I HAVE BEEN USING F4 WITH ISO 200 AND A CAMERA SET SPPED OF 1/500.

Your camera is OK. There is a noticeable difference between EVF and OVF, that is why many don't give up their DSLR cameras. The EVF is going to show a "preview" of the image that the camera will create, most of the time this image is very different to what you see through your eyes because the EVF is a tiny little screen with limited capabilities.  The hybrid viewfinder in the X100 is great but the EVF has its own limitations, nowadays  you can  find better options in the market.

As far as I know, people usually prefer the EVF for low light while the OVF is mostly used under regular light conditions.

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +8 more
wetfop
Like?
In reply to Stephenbw, Jan 20, 2013

Not to upbraid about etiquette but about rudeness; there is a distinction.

No irony, deliberate or otherwise.

Widick...I've always found my X100's EVF (abbreviation spoken in a quiet hush!) To be reasonably accurate, but subtlety different to the OVF.  So can't really comment on your problem further. Hope someone can help.

widick
Like?
In reply to El Chubasco, Jan 20, 2013

Thanks for the input.  You mentioned better options.  I'd be interested in your advice.

Stephenbw
Like?

widick wrote:

I'd better go back to lower case so I don't excite the Capital police. The only brightness control I can find works only for the LCD display ( goodness hope that's not too many capitals ). Is there a control for the evf? I've read the the x100 EVF was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I sure couldn't judge what kind of picture I would get through mine. I also forgot to mention i was using aut white balance.

I don't have any problem with the brightness of my EVF although it can be increased. The settings and displays of the LCD and the EVF work independently of each other. You need to have the camera to your eye looking through the EVF when you adjust the brightness.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-T1
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

The X100 EVF view is not dissimilar to a projected image on a half-silvered mirror (because of it's hybrid optical/electronic construction) ... via a beam splitter and optical mask system ... hence the relatively low contrast/muted colours. Fuji website picture below:

bugeyed
Like?
In reply to Stephenbw, Jan 21, 2013

Stephenbw wrote:

snip

I don't have any problem with the brightness of my EVF although it can be increased. The settings and displays of the LCD and the EVF work independently of each other. You need to have the camera to your eye looking through the EVF when you adjust the brightness.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

You are correct! I thought I noticed this, as I don't use the big LCD while shooting, so my focus was on the OVF & EVF when first setting up the camera. Mine is at 0, but it's nice to know that it's adjustable. Hope this helps the OP, if a vision problem can benefit from a brighter display.

kev

-- hide signature --

widick
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 21, 2013

Thanks for your input.

Stephenbw
Like?
In reply to widick, Jan 21, 2013

Has adjusting the EVF  brightness helped at all?

-- hide signature --

Stephen

wetfop
Like?
In reply to Stephenbw, Jan 21, 2013

Stephenbw wrote:

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Thanks for that, it is a big help. Hadn't realised it worked that way. I'd adjusted the LCD down and had assumed the EVF had gone down as well.

For what it's worth I have my LCD on -3 and now have the EVF on -4. Although I am indoors at the moment and can see maybe I'll make a change to brighter values when I'm out later on today.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads