Canadian Visit - Wide angle lens dilemma

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions
Car629
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?
Canadian Visit - Wide angle lens dilemma
Jan 20, 2013

That's our holiday booked .......off to Canada in June/July for three weeks visiting Ottawa and Toronto.

I had asked in a previous thread what to take with me photography wise but one of the replies I got was decide on what type of lens I wanted first. I have now decided I want to take a wide angle lens but not too sure what to go for. I had originally thought about buying a FF lens but now looking at a crop lens instead, so undecided on what to buy all the reviews are just so confusing, I just can't look any more!

Any very simple help would be very much appreciated.

Also

I would like a bag to carry my equipment but do not want a normal camera bag - comfort will be very high on my list as equipment gets heavy also need it to carry a few other things as I am female after all. 

While I am on the subject of Canada is there any places of interest that you think should be a must in those two areas - Niagara is definitely on our bucket list.

Look forward to your replies and sorry if this is the wrong forum guys.

Carol

Oilman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?
Get the 10-22 EFS F3.5/4.5
In reply to Car629, Jan 20, 2013

This is an easy choice. For owners of Canon crop frame cameras, the is the best wide angle lens out there

I bought the 10-22 a couple of years ago, based on recomendations from this website and strongly endorse it. It is an EFS lens, so it will not work on an FF camera, but it is constructed with the same high quality glass used in the L lenses. The lens is also very fast, which is great for sunset and sunrise shots.

And don't believe me! Do a search on the forum. You will find a lot of satsified owners of the 10-22

Below is a picture taken with this lens

-- hide signature --

The first camera bag you buy is always too small
http://www.flickr.com/geofiz

Oilman's gear list:Oilman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,093
Like?
Wide, wider, widest.

Car629 wrote:

That's our holiday booked .......off to Canada in June/July for three weeks visiting Ottawa and Toronto.

I had asked in a previous thread what to take with me photography wise but one of the replies I got was decide on what type of lens I wanted first. I have now decided I want to take a wide angle lens but not too sure what to go for. I had originally thought about buying a FF lens but now looking at a crop lens instead, so undecided on what to buy all the reviews are just so confusing, I just can't look any more!

Any very simple help would be very much appreciated.

I assume your widest now is 18mm?

Only wide angle FF lenses that go wider are 14mm f2.8 prime lenses and the Sigma 12-24mm zoom lens. Both will be rather bulky and heavy.

The only 14mm I would recommend due to its low price is the Samyang 14mm f2.8, a wide angle lens which is very sharp but a bit undercorrected (quite heavy barrel distortion). You will have to correct that in software at times.

Then there is the obvious choice. Canon EF 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM. Not the best build quality (the lens barrel can break), and does not come with its lens hood standard, so factor in its lens hood (or cheaper 3rd party alternative) in the price. It has low distortion, and good IQ for its type. Vignets quite heavily, but it is a gradual vignetting so you do not get those obvious dark corners, and stopping down helps.

Now for the widest option... the Sigma 8-16mm. Also good IQ, has a bulbous front element.

Personally I might choose the Sigma, just because 8mm is quite a bit wider than 10mm.

Those would be my wide (FF lenses), wider (Canon 10-22mm) and widest (8-16mm Sigma) recommendations. I would not chance the Tokina 12-24mm f4 (has a design error).

A bit of an odd suggestion:

Voigtlander 20mm f3.5 SL II. Does not go as wide as your (my guess) kit lens, but has much better IQ, is light and small and beautifully made. Why recommend it as wide angle on APS-C? Because I like making my photos wide by shooting 2 or more frames and stitching them. 3 panoramic shots with this lens will get as wide a view as an UWA lens, but will give higher resolution and more attractive framing. It is a manual focus lens, in use (not so much in reviews, oddly enough) very nice IQ (sharp, contrasty). And FF, so future proof.

I will get one... in future. Like I said, a bit odd a suggestion, but it will suit my shooting style (and is lovely compact and beautifully built).

Also

I would like a bag to carry my equipment but do not want a normal camera bag - comfort will be very high on my list as equipment gets heavy also need it to carry a few other things as I am female after all.

While I am on the subject of Canada is there any places of interest that you think should be a must in those two areas - Niagara is definitely on our bucket list.

Look forward to your replies and sorry if this is the wrong forum guys.

Carol

Oilman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?
Question 2- get a backpack

There are a gazillion camera backpacks out there and many of them are very well designed. I can not recommend one to you because it is all about the fit. Backpacks are a bit like clothes, except they do not come in different sizes . One that is very comfortable on me may feel like bunch of bricks on you.

Think about what size you need. Allow for some expansion, as your lens collectiion increases and also make sure you have room for a sack lunch. After that start trying on backpacks for comfort. Bring something heavy to put in the pack so you can determine how it feels when it is loaded. Some sporting good stores that also sell free weights will allow you to stick a few in the pack while trying  it on. If you looking at one with an adjustable frame, make sure the frame is adjusted to your body before making a decision.

-- hide signature --

Oilman's gear list:Oilman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,594Gear list
Like?
have you shot ultra wide before?

good composition, with strong near elements are paramount.  ultrawides are a poor choice for getting every thing in.  what lens do you already have?  I would strongly suggest the 15-85 IS if you dont have had.  15mm is pretty wide for landscape shoot, and you can always sticth to get wider.  its optically good and is a great on lens landscape solution on the crop.

If you insist on going ultrawide, tokina 11-16 and canon 10-22 are optically the best, though honestly, all the crop offering are decent.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +21 more
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?
Re: Canadian Visit - Wide angle lens dilemma

Travel in fo: visit Fodor's

http://www.fodors.com/community/canada/

These people will help you. And there's already lots of info about Toronto and Niagara.

Photo info:

We assume a Canon Rebel, but what other lenses do you have? What else needs to be in the bag.

And what are your interests? Then we can mesh photo advice with travel advice.

BAK

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Get the 10-22 EFS F3.5/4.5
In reply to Oilman, Jan 20, 2013

Oilman wrote:

This is an easy choice. For owners of Canon crop frame cameras, the is the best wide angle lens out there

I bought the 10-22 a couple of years ago, based on recomendations from this website and strongly endorse it. It is an EFS lens, so it will not work on an FF camera, but it is constructed with the same high quality glass used in the L lenses. The lens is also very fast, which is great for sunset and sunrise shots.

And don't believe me! Do a search on the forum. You will find a lot of satsified owners of the 10-22

Below is a picture taken with this lens

-- hide signature --

I agree with Oilman.  The Canon EF-S 10-22 is a fantastic lens!

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?

Hallo.    I worked in Ottawa for 27 years so know the place.  Also know Toronto quite well.   The most visited place in Ottawa is the Parliament Buildings, where you will certainly need a w/a lens to shoot the interior.  There are other attractions too, but you have to know where they are ahead of time.  Toronto is a busy metropolis with 12-lane highways, so keep to the lakeshore if you want to take pics of the City.  Also pop across to Toronto Island, you get a good view from there.  I now live in BC, and photographically BC and Alberta are the places to be and should not be missed if you are a tourist.  If it is a question of choice, BC and Alberta would win hands down.

-- hide signature --

Giraffe

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +8 more
iancrowe
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?

Hi Carol

I've had a chance to shoot with a Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM recently and have been very impressed with it.I found it to be a great complimentary lens for use alongside a EF 24-105 f/4L IS. It's somewhat heavier (+285g) and 30mm longer than Canon's EF-S 10-22 but has the advantage of being usable on a FF body.

These three were all taken with the 12-24 on a recent trip to the Harry Potter studios:-

Madame Malkin's Robes for All Occasions on Diagon Alley

Wiseacre's Wizarding Emporium Diagon Alley

1:24 scale Model of Hogwarts used for a lot of exterior flypast shots. The model takes up an are of 50' x 50' x 30'

My full gallery from the tour is at www.icyphotos.co.uk/HarryPotterTour/

Ian

Pitbullo
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
In reply to Car629, Jan 22, 2013

Sigma 8-16mm is also a great lens! But be ware that it does not take filters!

RobBobW
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pitbullo, Jan 24, 2013

The Canon 10-22 is a great lens which you will enjoy.  Consider also the Samyang 8 mm fish eye.  It is very inexpensive and optically fantastic.  It offers 180 degree coverage diagonally for interesting effects.  It is a fully manual lens so you will have to shoot in Av mode.  Setting the focus to about 6 ft will essentially give you everything in focus.

Enjoy your trip!

RobBobW's gear list:RobBobW's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads