Manual focus. why the obsession?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions
AngDaga
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Manual focus. why the obsession?
Jan 20, 2013

I'm been shooting since 2003 with a DSLR and recently with an XE1. I don't use manual focus, ever. Well, maybe a couple time in really low light when I can't get focus. Everyone here seems obsessed over manual focusing. I feel like I'm a fairly competent photographer, but I wonder what am I missing. Sincere question here, I feel like maybe need to learn some more in this area.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,274Gear list
Like?
Re: Manual focus. why the obsession?
In reply to AngDaga, Jan 20, 2013

AngDaga wrote:

I'm been shooting since 2003 with a DSLR and recently with an XE1. I don't use manual focus, ever. Well, maybe a couple time in really low light when I can't get focus. Everyone here seems obsessed over manual focusing. I feel like I'm a fairly competent photographer, but I wonder what am I missing. Sincere question here, I feel like maybe need to learn some more in this area.

Everyone has their reason or reasons.

Mine is that I won't be purchasing X lenses for the simple reason: fly by wire doesn't allow post-shutter actuation refocus/compose for long exposures, movement precisely timed to human input, using the lenses on other cameras (if I wanted to) is a big pain, relying on live adapters, and there is no film mount for the X.

I don't own a single AF lens and unless I start getting a lot of work covering small interviews, I will probably not even ever own a zoom.

Coming to the X from the outside, with a host of really good lenses at your disposal is probably the biggest reason for using lenses already in the bag.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aeudet
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

You've probably just never used a ´╗┐real´╗┐ manual focus camera. Pick on an old manual film SLR and try it out to see what the fuss is about

TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,488Gear list
Like?

I totally get while you are asking this, so here is my personal response.

While the X-Cams are not really known for being inaccurate, there are situations where people have seen a little back focusing. With proper manual focus, you can override the auto focus, or even skip it all together for critical focussing moments when you actually have the time to do so.

The other thing is the lenses. Many people have certain legacy lenses whose characteristics they enjoy and would like to continue using with the X-Cams.

I use manual focus when I am in a less than lit situation and I don't trust the AF to lock on, or when I think I don't have a really good contrast point to lock on to. Rather than that stupid red box, I like to grab the wheel and get it there myself. Much faster.

And then there are some people who just like it.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7R Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449
Like?

Macro and close up is another reason for manual focus. Especially shooting a focus stacking series.

-- hide signature --

Warren

KimTeo
Contributing MemberPosts: 855
Like?

I am wondering why too.  My experience with manual focussing cameras stretches from the 1960's to 2004 - owned all manual focusing rangefinders and SLR's with the exception of a single Ricoh GR10.  Got to be pretty good at scale focussing too, ie estimating distance and setting it on the lens distance scale.  With the X-E1, I'd rather stick to using AF with Fuji X lenses, than using legacy lenses and MF.

TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,488Gear list
Like?
In reply to WT Jones, Jan 20, 2013

WT Jones wrote:

Macro and close up is another reason for manual focus. Especially shooting a focus stacking series.

-- hide signature --

Warren

I knew I missed something.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7R Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,653Gear list
Like?

I do both but do prefer accurate AF.

I just shot a lot of cave photos at some incredible caves. The AF worked fine 95% of the time in low light on both 35mm 1.4 and 18-55 zoom. It sure was nice to simply use AF when you are in a crowd and don't have a lot of time to get the shot.

Same with my Nikon D800E. It almost always got the focus and even in almost darkness. Amazing.

That's the standard the X models need to match. The Nikon is simply outstanding and you have no attention on the AF. It just locks, locks extremely quickly and gets out of the road even in almost complete darkness. The Fuji worked well in lit scenes (not very bright though) and even in darkish scenes and sometimes had to be coaxed to get a lock (a vertical contrast). Its good but its got a ways to go to catch up to Nikon.

Greg.

opticaloptimum
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

Sometimes manual focus is faster as you do not have to spend time moving a rectangle around to tell the camera what you want to focus on.

opticaloptimum's gear list:opticaloptimum's gear list
Fujifilm X100S +1 more
Austin101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410
Like?

AngDaga wrote:

I used the 18 & 35 Fuji lenses on the X-E1, for indoor portraits the 35 can be very slow and inaccurate so I'll often manually focus it, the 60mm lens is a pain to manually focus fast and is even slower to AF than the 35 so I'll use either an Leica M mount 50 or a Nikon/Pentax fast 50mm.

I also use a 21mm M mount lens for street photography as the 18mm is sometimes too wide and the 35mm too narrow and both can be too slow to focus, the 21mm lets me zone focus quickly by looking at the focus scale on the lens itself which you can't do with the Fuji lenses.

Nothing I've used on the X-E1 so far beats the Fuji X lenses for sharpness and clarity but some manual focus lenses to produce nice colours and a different rendering to the Fuji ones which you can't really get in PP.

lighthunter80
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?

AngDaga wrote:

Exactly the same her. I do photography sine the mid 90s and had all sorts of cameras like an Canon AE1, Contax RTS, Yashica MAT, Mamiya 645 etc. and a lot of MF lenses. I never had an issue with manual focus and it works just fine. However, since I use AF cameras such as EOS 500n, 50e, 10D, 350D, 60D, 5D etc. I never felt like wanting to use manual focus. There is really no need for it if you know how to use AF properly. It is in facet much easier to manual focus on one of the old cameras with their optimized screens than with a modern AF camera.

So in short. You didn't miss a thing.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +7 more
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to lighthunter80, Jan 20, 2013

It is just one tool in the toolbox, and sometimes it serves the purpose better than AF. In general, it is rarely superior.

A few weeks back, I was the guest of a family in a far northern town, near the edge of civilization. Just before I was to head back south, the whole contingent went to the local rink to see the son play hockey in the peewee level league 11-12 year-olds. Even though the kids are no where near the speed of the recently locked out millionaires of the NHL, hockey at any level is very fast.
As has been hashed over to the level of terminal boredom in Fuji forums, X-cameras can not shoot kiddie sports. The cameras are not capable of follow focus, so are totally useless. Being a guest, I was less than fanatically involved with the sports prowess of little kids, so I put myself in the role of a parent who was, but was stuck with a useless X-Pro1. It was the perfect opportunity to test if this was the truth, of if the people posting simply lacked the skills.

I mounted the 60mm f/2.4, focused upon the goal in the middle of the rink and did some test shots. At f/4.0 both the signs on the opposite boards and the foreground up to the point that the players over-ran the image area, was acceptably sharp. Once focused, I set the lens upon manual and left it there for the duration of the game. 100% sharp, highly detailed shots.

As an additional bonus, the OVF showed a significant view outside of the image area, letting me see developing plays and readjusting my framing. The result was that I only had to cull out the boring shots, not shots that were technically imperfect. The OVF increased the number of keepers significantly, compared to shooting with an SLR where you are restricted to the little movie projected onto the viewing screen, showing only the actual image area.

I shot the whole game on manual settings. Light was totally consistent, so I metered for f/4.0 and ISO6400. It gave me a shutter speed of 1/500th of a second. Upon checking my histogram, I found that produced a short graph in the middle of the scale. Contrast was very low, so I upped the shutter speed to 1/1000th and found that I still had all the shadow detail in the scene, even though I was in essence under-exposing by -1.0EV. Since the images were then predominantly mid-tones and highlights, noise was not a factor. I posted a gallery for the family and they were thrilled. A nice way to say "Thank you" to a lovely family of hosts.
http://www.larry-bolch.com/ephemeral/hockey/

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
wetfop
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to lnbolch, Jan 20, 2013

Excellent explanation for a reason for manual focus; the technique of pre focussing or zone focussing.

As you say very few of your shots would have been keepers if you'd relied on AF.

AngDaga
Like?
In reply to TThorne, Jan 20, 2013

What is meant by focus stacking?

AngDaga
Like?

Sorry, nevermind. i googled focus stacking. new concept to me. Thanks for all the answers. I still don't see myself using manual focusing much, but I can appreciate how it could be useful in certain situations. Cheers.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294Gear list
Like?

AngDaga wrote:

Hard to believe you are saying that.

I have NEVER taken a close/semi close portrait and not used manual focus. When you are working with shallow dof you need to be a pin sharp on exactly what you want in focus.

Might be showing my age and style here but I really can't imagine trusting auto focus no matter how good the system is.

Cheers

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
tamras29
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, Jan 20, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

AngDaga wrote:

I have NEVER taken a close/semi close portrait and not used manual focus. When you are working with shallow dof you need to be a pin sharp on exactly what you want in focus.

Might be showing my age and style here but I really can't imagine trusting auto focus no matter how good the system is.

Cheers

A great compromise I have used for years, is to use autofocus with a single central point only. Started this years ago with my Canon 10D and have used it ever since. Just point the single focus point at what you want in focus, hold the shutter halfway down and re compose. Works fine for macro too.

tamras29's gear list:tamras29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
lighthunter80
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

AngDaga wrote:

Cheers

Interesting... I use a 5D and 50/1.2 and 85/1.4 and 135/2.0 all at widest aperture and always use AF and never had issues getting the focus nailed. With manual focus and the modern screen on my 5D I would feel lost to get the focus exactly right.

With my old Contax and Zeiss 50/1.4 this was a totally different game. The screens were different and made it easy to focus manually even without micro prisms and split screen. I would actually rather trust the AF than a modern screen in the view finder.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +7 more
AngDaga
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

AngDaga wrote:

Cheers

I have taken some shots as you described where the focus was not exactly as I had hoped for on my old Rebels. Maybe I could have tried manual focus. Maybe I would have used it more if my camera had a better viewfinder. The one on the rebel was so tiny, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so I trusted the autofocus more.

While the autofocus is slow on my XE1,  I have found it to be extremely accurate.

IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

AngDaga wrote:

It is pointless.  If you miss a bit you can sway back or forwards to compensate

-- hide signature --

A solution looking for a problem !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads