Goodbye !

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions
MikeyLikesNikon
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Goodbye !
Jan 20, 2013

I am leaving this mess, what a waste time. I have only been poking around for a couple weeks. KR is actually right about what he writes about the web forums. I cannot believe the crap that goes on here, DPReview should be ashamed. This was a test of what KR and others have said about forums & it ended as expected.

In the gear forums especially, it is only a few things happening: (1) Mine is bigger than yours (2) You don't follow my misguided logic/info, so you are dumb (3) People that cannot RTFM & post very basic questions. (4) I need gear and do not know how to make a decision, pls help me decide.

I have been also looking at the how-to forums that match my photography types (sports), there is 1% of the traffic of the gear mess.  No info there either...

None of these things will ever help people take better pictures. I am going back to perfect practice makes perfect, way better use of my time.

Have fun here people, Mikey is out...

MikeyLikesNikon's gear list:MikeyLikesNikon's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000
Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ifonly
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: Goodbye !
In reply to MikeyLikesNikon, Jan 20, 2013

Sad but true, this place has really gone down hill. Thats what happens when forums aren't moderated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882
Like?

Please don't judge all forums and communities by this one. This probably the worst for rational discussions and limiting trolls of any forums on any topics and it getting worse. There are a few really knowledgeable members but they do not post much any more and have left it for the trolls to dominate, bicker and bash anyone who has a different experience or opinion.

If you are interested in Nikon, try the Nikon specific communities where useful information is discussed in friendly and helpful ways.  The largest and best behaved is surely Nikonians.org but there are others as well.

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Rence
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?

Probably just as well that you are leaving as your post did not fit into one of the 4 categories you listed.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?
In reply to ifonly, Jan 20, 2013

ifonly wrote:

Thats what happens when forums aren't moderated.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50516508

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as moderator of the Nikon FX forum

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Richard3
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to Rence, Jan 20, 2013

No worries I am sure this thread will get locked soon enough ,like every other one that speaks some partial truth and has some logic to all get seem to get locked by the Mods that mysteriously appear once in a while lol they are like ghost in stealth mode locking all the good threads ...

So long Mike have a good one .....

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard3, Jan 20, 2013

Richard3 wrote:

No worries I am sure this thread will get locked soon enough ,like every other one that speaks some partial truth and has some logic to all get seem to get locked by the Mods that mysteriously appear once in a while lol they are like ghost in stealth mode locking all the good threads ...

So long Mike have a good one .....

And which "good thread" would that be - what was the subject and what was so good about it ? BTW this was posted 18 minutes before your post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50697456

Yet this thread is still here. Strange

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as moderator of the Nikon FX forum

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,650
Like?
In reply to Richard3, Jan 20, 2013

Richard3 wrote:

Locking/removing all the "good" threads has finally made this forum readable and useful. Best thing that's happened for years.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?

No loss.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,749Gear list
Like?
With your history of 3 months, don't let the door hit you when you leave

While it is true that this forum is not the same as it used to be, but you appear to have too big an ego and ready to stir the pot. You have been here only 3 months without any significant contribution to boot. I don't think anyone will miss you.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,954
Like?
In reply to Zardoz, Jan 20, 2013

Zardoz wrote:

No loss. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Your response is indictive of what I think the Op was referring to.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

mothergoose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?

Your expectations are unbalanced. This is a give and take situation so it's the responsibility of all members to make a forum work. Complaining is easy. If the forum is as bad as you say then you also need share the blame. Your good-bye notice here is a prime example of what you denounce.

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Charlie Bishop
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
In reply to mothergoose, Jan 20, 2013

Guys,

We just need to expand the forums for more specific camera models.

As interesting as they are to those owners, I'm feed up of all the D600 threads.

Similarly, folks may not be interested in the quirks of my camera model.

Please DPR, rebuild the forums to match our requirements.

-- hide signature --

--
Charlie (UK)

Mark den Hartog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,591
Like?
@ TOF guy
In reply to Charlie Bishop, Jan 20, 2013

We just need to expand the forums for more specific camera models.

As interesting as they are to those owners, I'm feed up of all the D600 threads.

Similarly, folks may not be interested in the quirks of my camera model.

Please DPR, rebuild the forums to match our requirements.

Yes and an archictectural forum please. there is astro but no archticture??

thanks

Mark

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Goodbye ! Balance

The Thinker

In life one must have balance and understanding to get by. Bear in mind on an 'inaminate' web forum, people will sometimes act and behave unlike face to face.

That said, bear in mind this:

- sometimes people may invest upwards of USD 5,000 in gear and need to vent when something does not 'work' right. That is human nature.

- sometimes people generally need advice and although I am sometimes surprised at newish camera buffs having over USD 5,000 in equipement and asking not so technical questions, that is their right and privilege, they are enthusiastic enough to try and thats alright.

- sometimes, as in work everyday, one needs to bite ones tongue or walk away, that is life.

That said,

- there is plenty of helpful and friendly information on these forums if one is willing to read and assess.

- one must keep an open mind, as in life.

Futher, you mention' as expected'.

If one comes into something with specific pre-conceived notions, one if already biased to a certian result, even if subconsiously, ones actions will tend to 'generate said result'.

So, my suggestion is:

- dont be so judgemental

- keep an open mind and offer advice (I offer advice where I can but clearly state that I am an amateur) that people may sift and assess what is right for them.

In this way, one can contribute and not add to strife and disappointment.

We have a wonderful world even though at times it seems hard and it is not easy to get by. But one must try, or else what is the point of it all?

Take Care.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?

you will be forgotten in less time than it took to write your post, and no one will feel the slightest remorse about your departure. if you spend the balance of your time at KR's site, that will be about what you deserve -- the king of trolls pontificating to his disciples. this forum is certainly flawed, but it's a human institution, and which one isn't?

iJoost
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

There is less here than I hoped, indeed. Lot's of religion and politics, hardly any science.

Ah well, choices...

leighton w
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880
Like?

No forum is without problems, so my only advice would be to stick around and try to make this one better. If you're here long enough, you'll see each one change back and forth. It was just a couple of months ago that this place was a REAL wreck, now I believe it's swung the other way for the better.

Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 844Gear list
Like?
You can't be thin skinned and participate in online forums no matter what the topic.
In reply to Rence, Jan 20, 2013

It's a sign of the times.  Every forum I participating in music, city-data, dpreview, etc, etc. is like this.  Today's society is full of people who are disconnected, aloof, unsociable, etc.  We have forgotten how to connect with each other on a personal level thanks to the internet.

This is why I belong to 3 local camera clubs.  We socialize, talk hardware face to face, go shooting together, and in general support one another.  This medium does not lend itself to this.

Grow thick skin and filter out all the trolls and stupid topics and you'll be fine.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +10 more
NikonManSoCal
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, Jan 20, 2013

Hugo First wrote:

you will be forgotten in less time than it took to write your post, and no one will feel the slightest remorse about your departure. if you spend the balance of your time at KR's site, that will be about what you deserve -- the king of trolls pontificating to his disciples. this forum is certainly flawed, but it's a human institution, and which one isn't?

Lol - KR's site is even worse with his nonsense and constant contradictions - that fool cracks me up. Apparently he convinces enough people to donate to him that he can get all the latest gear.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads