What would cause you to switch to canon?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,612
Like?
What would cause you to switch to canon?
Jan 19, 2013

I'm not particularly enamoured with Nikon colors (yes you can tweak this in post).  The green screen (now fixed on mine) was a big thorn in my side.  You have to shoot at a faster shutter speed than previous generation cameras (somewhat negating the high ISO benefits), slow FPS, etc.  Also, there are issues with the D4 screen and the D600 oil.  Not to mention AF problems that have been talked about.

Long term, this concerns me about Nikon's future.  That, and they do not engineer their own sensors anymore.

I've thought about switching, but it would be a loss of thousands of dollars.  Would I be happier?

Nikon D4 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,465Gear list
Like?
Nikon goes out of business.
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Jan 19, 2013

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I'm not particularly enamoured with Nikon colors (yes you can tweak this in post). The green screen (now fixed on mine) was a big thorn in my side. You have to shoot at a faster shutter speed than previous generation cameras (somewhat negating the high ISO benefits), slow FPS, etc. Also, there are issues with the D4 screen and the D600 oil. Not to mention AF problems that have been talked about.

Long term, this concerns me about Nikon's future. That, and they do not engineer their own sensors anymore.

I've thought about switching, but it would be a loss of thousands of dollars. Would I be happier?

Odds are you'll find things with Canon to complain about.  Seriously.  There are pros and cons to both companies. Cameras from both companies take excellent photos.  It's possible that the negative aspects of Canon cameras are things you don't care about.  At the moment I think Nikon puts better sensors in their cameras.  IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rcower
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
Re: What would cause you to switch to canon?

I use both, primarily shoot with Nikon but when I need speed I use my Canon 7D.

Bright Angel
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,613
Like?
I Have Just Switched To Canon

The D800 (& Nikon UK servicing) caused to switch.

The camera was the proverbial dog excrement of my photographic slippers.

I recently sold all my Nikon gear and bought a 5D MKIII.

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

IsabelS
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Two Canon lenses

Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L and Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

The Photo Ninja
Like?
Re: I Have Just Switched To Canon
In reply to Bright Angel, Jan 19, 2013

Why the 5d instead of 1Dx?

arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?
If you can't take a good picture with a Nikon ...

...What makes you think you'll be a better photographer just by switching to any other brand?

Those in it for the gear will keep chasing "better" gear.  Those in it for photography will keep improving their skills.

-- hide signature --

Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
Bright Angel
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,613
Like?
Re: I Have Just Switched To Canon

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Why the 5d instead of 1Dx?

1. The cost.

2. I don't need the frame rate.

3. I don't like cameras with grips

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

The Photo Ninja
Like?
Re: If you can't take a good picture with a Nikon ...
In reply to arizonadesertrat, Jan 19, 2013

Don't be a troll.

rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191
Like?
Re: If you can't take a good picture with a Nikon ...

When Canon has a camera that I like I buy it...

I dont have to switch !

I can use both systems.....

I own a Canon that I bought second hand because its one that was modified for

Infrared.....

Had a good price and now i use it for infrared..

I got a few S models and i got a G1X......

Both brands have good cameras and I dont need to switch because I can work

with any of them......

I own both D4 and D800 E and I dont have any complaints...

Peter

IsabelS
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
They never said what you imply they did
In reply to arizonadesertrat, Jan 19, 2013

Nobody said he/she will be “a better photographer just by switching to any other brand.”  I suggest an apology is due …

Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,569
Like?

Having very little money invested in Nikon gear presently (having sold some stuff over the past year or so), I'm waiting to see what the next upgrade/update (if it happens) to the Canon 7D and the Nikon D300/s look like and how they compare. Not interested in full frame.

GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?
Re: What would cause you to switch to Canon?

Service, or lack of quality service, might be it for me.

Denial of warranty claims, or not standing behind their product in the event of a known manufacturing defect among their users.  Nikon USA's "Impact damage" excuse is almost there for me if they expect owners to treat the stuff as jewelery in the field and look for a scratch as a means to void a warranty.

Extraordinary high-priced repair fees with lackluster degree of service ability requiring something to go back numerous times to fix correctly - or if they can fix it at all.

Poor or non-existent field support:  i.e. Poor and slow support to dealers, independent repair shops, or users at home.  Non-support at major events.

Questionable auto-focus with a poor perfect hit rate.

Lack of an true "International Warranty" vs. a questionable "Regional" one.

Unknowledgeable support, and support that fails to follow through (e.g. returns calls, email. etc.).

Inability to fix what they make.  Also, denial that anyone else could do a better job than them.

Very slow repairs (3+ months) due to back-ordered parts.

Poor quality control leading to many new "Out of box" returns or repairs.

Passing off refurbished to mean "Wiped-off and re-boxed" and not really "fixed."  Goes for retailers too.

Rush-to-market without sufficient field testing (Letting public be the beta testers.).

Argumentative lower-tier support staff with non-existent (or "in hiding") supervisor/management staff over some issue that could be handled far better and more positive.  Example:  "Your battery door fell off?  Let me get your name and info and I'll put one in today's mail for free. (or even 'paid.')" verses "Your battery door fell off?  You need to send it to us along with $250.  Takes about 3 weeks overall.  Have a nice day."  ... 'click.'

Getting back serviced items only to have to go back numerous times for the same thing or something they did wrong.

For entertainment, reading some of the customer issues in the following links are interesting for anyone on the fence, aside from the rankings.

Canon Customer Service complaints.

Nikon Customer Service complaints.

Mack

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,776
Like?
An 8D that beats the best Nikon Dx.

Whether or not the best Nikon Dx is a D400 or a D300s, a top notch Canon Dx could do it.

lock

khaw
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
Re: What would cause you to switch to Canon?
In reply to GMack, Jan 19, 2013

That seems to be a pretty accurate list.

Thanks, K-H.

GMack wrote:

Service, or lack of quality service, might be it for me.

Denial of warranty claims, or not standing behind their product in the event of a known manufacturing defect among their users. Nikon USA's "Impact damage" excuse is almost there for me if they expect owners to treat the stuff as jewelery in the field and look for a scratch as a means to void a warranty.

Extraordinary high-priced repair fees with lackluster degree of service ability requiring something to go back numerous times to fix correctly - or if they can fix it at all.

Poor or non-existent field support: i.e. Poor and slow support to dealers, independent repair shops, or users at home. Non-support at major events.

Questionable auto-focus with a poor perfect hit rate.

Lack of an true "International Warranty" vs. a questionable "Regional" one.

Unknowledgeable support, and support that fails to follow through (e.g. returns calls, email. etc.).

Inability to fix what they make. Also, denial that anyone else could do a better job than them.

Very slow repairs (3+ months) due to back-ordered parts.

Poor quality control leading to many new "Out of box" returns or repairs.

Passing off refurbished to mean "Wiped-off and re-boxed" and not really "fixed." Goes for retailers too.

Rush-to-market without sufficient field testing (Letting public be the beta testers.).

Argumentative lower-tier support staff with non-existent (or "in hiding") supervisor/management staff over some issue that could be handled far better and more positive. Example: "Your battery door fell off? Let me get your name and info and I'll put one in today's mail for free. (or even 'paid.')" verses "Your battery door fell off? You need to send it to us along with $250. Takes about 3 weeks overall. Have a nice day." ... 'click.'

Getting back serviced items only to have to go back numerous times for the same thing or something they did wrong.

For entertainment, reading some of the customer issues in the following links are interesting for anyone on the fence, aside from the rankings.

Canon Customer Service complaints.

Nikon Customer Service complaints.

Mack

Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,210Gear list
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I'm not particularly enamoured with Nikon colors (yes you can tweak this in post). The green screen (now fixed on mine) was a big thorn in my side. You have to shoot at a faster shutter speed than previous generation cameras (somewhat negating the high ISO benefits), slow FPS, etc. Also, there are issues with the D4 screen and the D600 oil. Not to mention AF problems that have been talked about.

We all have our differing wants and needs.  If I didn't have a d3s, I wouldn't be happy and would consider a change to Canon for the 5dIII.  Indeed, for a while I was thinking that if the 7d replacement came out with the same pro AF as the 5dIII, that would be sufficient for me to change.  I used the d300/d700 combo for years and really enjoyed it and want the same combo now, with modern sensors. The d800 isn't a high performance camera like the d700 and Nikon hasn't done anything with the d300 upgrade.  But, I bought the d3s, which is certainly a wonderful upgrade to the d700.  The d800 is an excellent general purpose camera, so the only thing missing is the d300 upgrade.  I expect to see one soon, so I no longer feel the urge to change.

Long term, this concerns me about Nikon's future. That, and they do not engineer their own sensors anymore.

I have concerns about Nikon's future too, but no more so than Canon. The world is changing and neither seem to be on the ball. For example, where's the 7d upgrade?

As for the sensors, I think that is a plus for Nikon, not a minus.  Nikon shops around for the best sensor available. That should be quite obvious with their d5200 and new, top rated Toshiba sensor.  Canon does everything on their own and have been lagging behind Nikon's sensors.

I've thought about switching, but it would be a loss of thousands of dollars. Would I be happier?

Only you can make that determination.  I'm sure that the 5dIII and 1d X are fine cameras.  They certainly are impressive on paper and I'd love to have a Nikon with the 5dIII specs/features. The main thing is getting the shot.  Can you get the shots that you want, with your current gear?  If not, why not? If it's the camera that is holding you back and Canon offers something that seems to address your problem, then it certainly would seem sensible to make the change.

Worrying about problems that other people are having, doesn't make sense to me. If you are having focus issues that Nikon can't/won't fix, that is something worth worrying about. But, it should be obvious that the AF problem cameras are with an unfortunate minority.

Colors?  I can't imagine that making a difference to me. I use custom pre-set WB when the colors are really important. Otherwise, I make them the way I want in post processing.  I would expect to do the same with a Canon.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that both Canon and Nikon make wonderful cameras. If you're not happy with your Nikon, why fuss about it?  Rent or buy a Canon and see if it will meet your needs.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,095Gear list
Like?
Well, maybe Posts like this in the Nikon forum

You want to switch? Pull on your big boy pants and go. You just want a soapbox to whine? Your in the right place.

Seriously, as much time as you spend on these forums, you know what equipment Nikon and Canon have, and what you need. And both have good enough equipment for the most discriminating shooter. It's a tool, and they both make fine tools.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Bamboojled
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Re: Well, maybe Posts like this in the Nikon forum
In reply to sandy b, Jan 19, 2013

sandy b wrote:

You want to switch? Pull on your big boy pants and go. You just want a soapbox to whine? Your in the right place.

Seriously, as much time as you spend on these forums, you know what equipment Nikon and Canon have, and what you need. And both have good enough equipment for the most discriminating shooter. It's a tool, and they both make fine tools.

That is perfect!!! and exactly what I was thinking...

Funny, your probably going to be called a troll by photoninja, just as arizonadesertrat was for simply saying that switching wouldn't make him a better photographer. Obviously Photoninja does not want to hear that switching will not make up for photographic skill.

fft81
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
Re: Well, maybe Posts like this in the Nikon forum
In reply to Bamboojled, Jan 19, 2013

For me to switch to cannon, 2 things must happen:

1. Cannon cameras need to be able to fully function with nikon f-munt lenses

2. Cannon needs to build a camera that is actually better than equally priced camera in nikon lineup with specs better than my current d800.

johnvr1
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

Interesting thread. I just ordered a refurbished d800e and am renting a Nikon lens and the Canon 5DIII to try them out against each other to see if I'm making the switch back from Canon to Nikon (I shot Nikon in my film days).

The complaints here about Nikon are a bit scary...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads