Any drawbacks to having a 3TB Fusion drive on new BTO 27" iMac?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
Any drawbacks to having a 3TB Fusion drive on new BTO 27" iMac?
Jan 18, 2013

Hello,

Thinking of BTO  27" iMac 16GB RAM, with 3TB Fusion drive.   Any drawbacks to having the Fusion drive besides cost?   Warning:  I am a total computer klutz.

Budget is around $3000 for a new computer to replace a 2006  20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM, 500 GB HD since it's running slooow when I try to load pics to iPhoto from an external HD, or it even hangs the iPhoto as "not responding" and I have to force quit from it.   And unable to use many latest imaging softwares since OS can't be upgraded to Lion.

So, is the 27" iMac with 16GB RAM and a 3TB internal HD is the way to go for me?  I have some visions problems therefore want the 27" not the 21" iMac.  And, I may eventually upgrade the RAM from 16GB to 32GB if I really need to.  It is easy to add RAM?  OWC or Crucial?

Since I'm not a computer wiz, and this will be only my 2nd iMac.  I tend not to do ongoing computer updates and use the computer until it is no longer unusable.

.  Use Canon 5DMKII/7D, Panasoninc GX1, Sony RX100 cameras both RAW and/or JPEG.I would prefer to keep my picture library on the iMac's internal HD unless there is a good reason not toI'm just a casual family and vacation snapshooter, but tend to shoot large files , and also panoramas.  Have about 20,000+ photos in my picture library on external HD.  

What I have been doing now is taking my iPad on vacation, downloading the SD cards to view them on the iPad, attach a few photos to email, and then when I get home, downloading the SD cards to the iMac. I also carry a Hyper Drive storage device, to save images off the SD cards, and if I bring the Canon DSLR's, save the images off the CF cards as well.  It serves as my travel back up device.

I'll give the 20" iMac to my better half so she can use it for web, email, and she can put her iPhone photos in her own iPhoto library.

Eventually, I may pick up a MBA or MBP to carry on vacation, but don't see the need now since I bring the iPad.

Thanks again, for your suggestions and advice re: 3 TB Fusion drive or just a plain 3TB HD.

Regards.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photo_rb
Regular MemberPosts: 481
Like?
Re: Any drawbacks to having a 3TB Fusion drive on new BTO 27" iMac?
In reply to Len_Gee, Jan 18, 2013

I have not seen any drawbacks in my short experience with the fusion drive, only terrific speed increases.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
In reply to photo_rb, Jan 18, 2013

photo_rb wrote:

I have not seen any drawbacks in my short experience with the fusion drive, only terrific speed increases.

+1

qstudios's gear list:qstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777
Like?

No issues whatsoever. Just lots of room and very good speed.

Also, just order it with the default 8GB and get the 32GB option from 3rd party. I installed my 32GB yesterday and it cost me around $200. The install requires no tools and takes less than 5 minutes.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

harvey lexton
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Jan 18, 2013

what 5 minutes to put the ram in, that is slow. 4 weeks now still waiting for my iMac to arrive, no sign of it yet. Also a 3TB fusion and 2G graphics.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Jan 18, 2013

webfrasse wrote:

Also, just order it with the default 8GB and get the 32GB option from 3rd party. I installed my 32GB yesterday and it cost me around $200. The install requires no tools and takes less than 5 minutes.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

OK.  I'll order it BTO with 8GB to get me started.  3TB Fusion Drive.

As I mentioned, I'm a computer klutz- so is it really easy to add more RAM?  

Any recommendations what 3rd party RAM to get?  Make it up to 32GB RAM?

Thanks again everyone for your recommendations and advice.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
webfrasse
Like?
In reply to harvey lexton, Jan 18, 2013

harvey lexton wrote:

what 5 minutes to put the ram in, that is slow. 4 weeks now still waiting for my iMac to arrive, no sign of it yet. Also a 3TB fusion and 2G graphics.

I wrote "less than 5 minutes"...you do know what less means...right;-)

-- hide signature --

Mikael

webfrasse
Like?

Len_Gee wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mikael

OK. I'll order it BTO with 8GB to get me started. 3TB Fusion Drive.

As I mentioned, I'm a computer klutz- so is it really easy to add more RAM?

Any recommendations what 3rd party RAM to get? Make it up to 32GB RAM?

Thanks again everyone for your recommendations and advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uYzM9cwNas

The guy in the video installed this, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076W9Q5A?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393185&creativeASIN=B0076W9Q5A&linkCode=shr&tag=techfdinne-20&qid=1354332511&sr=8-1&keywords=1600MHz+DDR3+PC3-12800

I bought this (before I saw the video...)

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2012_27/DDR3L

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads