Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?
In reply to chillgreg, Feb 25, 2013

Hi

Playmemories is an "updated " version of the old PMB that came with the Sony DSLR's etc, however it's useful because it recognises the RAW's from NEX cameras which (since the recent update) PMB doesn't. Other features include a basic but quite competent editing programme and various file sharing & other options - click on the "Tools" option to see all

I found that using the usb connection to down load files took a long time (with my pretty elderly computer) so I now use a card-reader which takes about a third as long and download them into Windows Explorer & PMH then automatically imports them - I don't have wi-fi myself so can't comment on that aspect but was seriously hacked off when Sony disabled PMB as it's easier to use and faster than PMH.

I hadn't noticed the large file size but in these days of big hard-drives who cares ??

I hope this is vaguely helpful as there seemed to be several misunderstandings above !

Good luck

DV

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 676Gear list
Like?
Topping up the swear box
In reply to raminolta, Feb 25, 2013

Hence, I have gone back to using the USB cable. Why?

1. Sony are not Apple, and for all their hardware sexy, cannot do software, which leads to...

2. The fact that you cannot selectively send images and/or video files over WiFi, it sends the lot each time. To use contemporary lingo, "Redonkulous!" (Or if eating British meat, "Redonkylous!")

3. With my 5R, every time a WiFi transfer finishes, the camera crashes and I am forced to switch it off and back on. This is not my 5R, it is all of them, because I took my last one back and it did the same thing. (I returned it to get the 16-50mm kit zoom, not because it was faulty.) I assume this is a firmware bug and will be fixed in due course. Sony?

I am currently seething not so much because of the Alpha version WiFi features, but because getting good sharp photos with the PZ lens is more difficult than juggling soup and I'm days from selling the thing and getting the 50mm 1.8 that for £214 on Amazon is mightly tempting even if defeating the object of the PZ in that the latter is compact and pocketable. Phew!

Oh Sony, please make a compact semi affordable zoom with Carl Z. Play to your strengths!

MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?
Re: Topping up the swear box
In reply to MrTaikitso, Feb 25, 2013

Hence, I have gone back to using the USB cable. Why?

1. Sony are not Apple, and for all their hardware sexy, cannot do software, which leads to...

2. The fact that you cannot selectively send images and/or video files over WiFi, it sends the lot each time. To use contemporary lingo, "Redonkulous!" (Or if eating British meat, "Redonkylous!")

3. With my 5R, every time a WiFi transfer finishes, the camera crashes and I am forced to switch it off and back on. This is not my 5R, it is all of them, because I took my last one back and it did the same thing. (I returned it to get the 16-50mm kit zoom, not because it was faulty.) I assume this is a firmware bug and will be fixed in due course. Sony?

I am currently seething not so much because of the Alpha version WiFi features, but because getting good sharp photos with the PZ lens is more difficult than juggling soup and I'm days from selling the thing and getting the 50mm 1.8 that for £214 on Amazon is mightly tempting even if defeating the object of the PZ in that the latter is compact and pocketable. Phew!

Oh Sony, please make a compact semi affordable zoom with Carl Z. Play to your strengths!

"a compact semi affordable zoom with Carl Z." Really? What have you been smoking lol...

I have had my 5R with 16-50 and 55-210 twin kit for less than a week. The baby PZ may not be perfect to some eyes, but I'd hardly say it can't get a sharp photo.

So far, Wifi works well for me, reliable and fast. No crashing.

The 5R gives you a window to select with check boxes either one multiple or all images prior to the WIFI transfer step.

In settings you have the option of 2MP or Original resolution.

Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?
In reply to DistantView, Feb 25, 2013

I haven't installed mine yet, but that's what I was thinking it does...not just to import files. I knew it can work with NEX raw files and I assume it has some basic editing capabilities, noise reduction, creative filters?

It will also handle the AVCHD files. Not sure how much video editing capabilities it has but bottom line is I don't own Adobe LR so something free that comes with my camera and gives me some easy to use functionality is good to have.

No offense, but I don't quite get the folks bothering with WiFi transfer to the PC, mobile device is one thing, but nothing beats popping the SD card in and transferring things. It easy and it's fast...why bother with WiFi in this case is beyond my comprehension...

chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?
In reply to CosmoZooo, Feb 25, 2013

I haven't installed mine yet, but that's what I was thinking it does...not just to import files. I knew it can work with NEX raw files and I assume it has some basic editing capabilities, noise reduction, creative filters?

It will also handle the AVCHD files. Not sure how much video editing capabilities it has but bottom line is I don't own Adobe LR so something free that comes with my camera and gives me some easy to use functionality is good to have.

No offense, but I don't quite get the folks bothering with WiFi transfer to the PC, mobile device is one thing, but nothing beats popping the SD card in and transferring things. It easy and it's fast...why bother with WiFi in this case is beyond my comprehension...

At this point I am primarily using the Wifi to upload to Facebook and my Galaxy S2. Imagine DPR had an app for direct upload? That's where Sony will miss the boat if they don't open their API to (quality) external developers. Completely aside from the blatant ripoff that the current apps are...

The 802.11n Wifi standard used by the NEX is very fast; maybe not as fast as a USB 3.0 reader for hundreds of RAW images or videos from a day in the field, but for a daily upload of ten or twenty photos, it's more than adequate.

Plus the reduction of wear and tear on the camera's components can't be a bad thing right?

For many it's a godsend. Cable spaghetti is anathema for me and I suspect the majority.

Then there's the added convenience of transferring files from where you are not where the computer is.

Visiting grandparents and want to share some precious memories? Link via Wifi to their network-enabled DLNA TV (as many new TV's are), and again simple, fast, convenient and wireless.

I can comprehend many, many invaluable uses for Wifi, some if which (hopefully) Sony is exploring. Wireless printing direct from the camera? Upload to your PC from any offsite hotspot? Etc etc

Sony has a VERY short window of opportunity to exploit their app store and expand the wireless functionality before one of their competitors clobbers them with an app store full of hundreds of free apps. If Nikon say built Android into a DSLR this cute little experiment would be dead and buried...

Oh yeah, OTA firmware updates too.

Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Sir Punk
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
In reply to raminolta, Mar 2, 2013

I have been debating if installing playmemories or not. Does it offer any import advantage over say faststone or acdsee?

wblink
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sir Punk, Mar 2, 2013

I may be wrong.

I am using PlayMemories in IPad and/or IPhone to get hooked to my NEX6 via wifi. The NEX^does need the app "remote Control" though. Great app!!!!!

-- hide signature --

Willem.
Sony NEX-6

wblink's gear list:wblink's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads