Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?
Jan 18, 2013

I am wondering what does this software really do?

Well, I know one thing for sure: in order to import images from camera to the computer through wi-fi, I need this software.I also know it is a image viewer.

Is this software necessary for whoever wants to buy applications for their cameras from Sony store?

Well, but there is something I don't understand.  I only need this software for wi-fi and I checked its related folder in programs folder measure 420MB. As a comparison, the full fledged Photoshop CS6 measures about 510MB . I find Playmemrioes is too big for what it does and moreover, is is excessive to force users to use such a large software for only a small driver/utility they need for wirelessly moving files from camera to their computers. I don't need any other functionality of this software whatever it is (media browser, etc.).

As a comparison, the Sony's  Wireless Auto Import under Mac which is used for importing files through wi-fi is only a few MB in size. Why isn't it available under Windows?

On my desktop I have plenty of space so it may not be an issue giving some space to a software for which I have no use. But, on my laptop, I have only a small size SSD and I would rather not waste the space for anything I don't need.

It looks like Sony is trying to walk on the Apple's footprint which pushes everybody to install and use iTunes for their iPhones. iTunes is one software I am not interested in at all (and so much I dislike syncing the way Apple has implemented it). For all the years I was a Mac user, I only used it when I had to (syncing my iPhone with  my computer). Now I no longer have an iphone or a Mac and there is absolutely no reason for iTunes.

I think Sony should provide a small utility/driver for those who only need the wi-fi function of their camera.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?
In reply to raminolta, Jan 18, 2013

By the way, if you know it is possible to import files from Camera to a PC without having Playmemories installed, please let me know. I will be happy to be proved wrong.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
focuspulling
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?

PlayMemories is great software after the major update.  It renames video files properly, automatically and on the fly during import, avoiding conflicts.

focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,783
Like?

can't you just access the card or camera with explorer and copy it manually? you could even do it with command line in a few keystrokes on any of my cameras anyway

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Glenn, Jan 19, 2013

Glenn wrote:

can't you just access the card or camera with explorer and copy it manually? you could even do it with command line in a few keystrokes on any of my cameras anyway

As far as I know I cannot access Sony Nex 5R wirelessly without installing Playmemories. Have you done it?

K0Zak
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to raminolta, Jan 19, 2013

There is one exception I'm aware of.  If you copy images from the camera to an iOS device (e.g., iPhone, iPad) those images will be copied to your PhotoStream and to the PhotoStream folder on your other devices including a PC.  You don't need PlayMemories on the PC.  Doesn't seem to copy Sweep Panorama images though.

raminolta wrote:

As far as I know I cannot access Sony Nex 5R wirelessly without installing Playmemories. Have you done it?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to focuspulling, Jan 20, 2013

H. Paul Moon wrote:

PlayMemories is great software after the major update. It renames video files properly, automatically and on the fly during import, avoiding conflicts.

Wow, that's a great feature. Do we need a 420MB sotftware for it?

Sorry for being sarcastic but, honestly I think there is serious problem here. If video files are named the same inside the camera (unlike progressive naming of the files like the way the pictures are named) so that, they have to be renamed by a software on the computer to avoid name conflicts, that is obviously a flaw in the camera internal software. You cannot mention it as the greatness of a hallow software unless you just want to think this way no matter what.

capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416Gear list
Like?
In reply to K0Zak, Jan 20, 2013

How many 24 Meg Raw files does it take to equal the amount of space Playmemories takes up ?

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +22 more
focuspulling
Like?
In reply to raminolta, Jan 20, 2013

raminolta wrote:

H. Paul Moon wrote:

PlayMemories is great software after the major update. It renames video files properly, automatically and on the fly during import, avoiding conflicts.

Sorry for being sarcastic but, honestly I think there is serious problem here. If video files are named the same inside the camera (unlike progressive naming of the files like the way the pictures are named) so that, they have to be renamed by a software on the computer to avoid name conflicts, that is obviously a flaw in the camera internal software. You cannot mention it as the greatness of a hallow software unless you just want to think this way no matter what.

I'm not skimpy with non-mobility hard disk space that is extremely dirt cheap and plentiful nowadays.  Life is too short for nitpicking on principles.  And when you've got tens of thousands of files, yes, the internal file numbering scheme of the NEX cameras is utterly inadequate.  PlayMemories is a fantastic application, with decent online connectivity and stellar PS3 integration.

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to focuspulling, Jan 21, 2013

H. Paul Moon wrote:

raminolta wrote:

H. Paul Moon wrote:

I'm not skimpy with non-mobility hard disk space that is extremely dirt cheap and plentiful nowadays. Life is too short for nitpicking on principles. And when you've got tens of thousands of files, yes, the internal file numbering scheme of the NEX cameras is utterly inadequate. PlayMemories is a fantastic application, with decent online connectivity and stellar PS3 integration.

I beg to disagree. I find Playmemories is essentially a useless software that I have to install because for some reason not quite known to me, Sony wants to push it on all users. Most likely because Sony wants to follow Apple (the way they tried pushing iTunes). I don't have PS3 not I want one and I don't need a software to rename files for me on the fly. I repeat if it was difficult to understand for some: in my opinion, it's a flaw in the camera firmware if it names all video files the same.

focuspulling
Like?
In reply to raminolta, Jan 21, 2013

raminolta wrote:

H. Paul Moon wrote:

raminolta wrote:

H. Paul Moon wrote:

I'm not skimpy with non-mobility hard disk space that is extremely dirt cheap and plentiful nowadays. Life is too short for nitpicking on principles. And when you've got tens of thousands of files, yes, the internal file numbering scheme of the NEX cameras is utterly inadequate. PlayMemories is a fantastic application, with decent online connectivity and stellar PS3 integration.

I beg to disagree. I find Playmemories is essentially a useless software that I have to install because for some reason not quite known to me, Sony wants to push it on all users. Most likely because Sony wants to follow Apple (the way they tried pushing iTunes). I don't have PS3 not I want one and I don't need a software to rename files for me on the fly. I repeat if it was difficult to understand for some: in my opinion, it's a flaw in the camera firmware if it names all video files the same.

The camera firmware does not name all video files the same.

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688
Like?
In reply to focuspulling, Jan 21, 2013

H. Paul Moon wrote:

You don't need PlayMemories to do that.

In fact, if you connect the camera with USB using MTP (without PlayMemories installation), all the video files would have already been renamed properly when browsed by Windows Explorer.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Jan 21, 2013

That's the problem. It's not crucial for me to use wifi to transfer files. I could very well use the USB connection. The only problem is I don't feel comfortable to connect and disconnect a usb cable so often the USB connection on this camera feels flimpsy and fragile. On my all other cameras, I never felt there could be a problem with this but this one feels different. Otherwise, wi-fi weren't much important. Maybe, I just over-worry myself. I could hope so.

Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
Simple Solutions ...
In reply to raminolta, Jan 21, 2013

Tried a card reader? About as easy as you can get - no hassle.

nosnoop
Like?
In reply to raminolta, Jan 22, 2013

raminolta wrote:

That's the problem. It's not crucial for me to use wifi to transfer files. I could very well use the USB connection. The only problem is I don't feel comfortable to connect and disconnect a usb cable so often the USB connection on this camera feels flimpsy and fragile. On my all other cameras, I never felt there could be a problem with this but this one feels different. Otherwise, wi-fi weren't much important. Maybe, I just over-worry myself. I could hope so.

microUSB is designed for 10,000 removal/insertion cycle.

So if you plug and unplug the camera once a day, it should last 27 years.   And it is also designed to have more wear on the replaceable USB cable rather than your camera.

nosnoop
Like?
Re: Simple Solutions ...
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 22, 2013

Photozopia wrote:

OTOH, have you tried the USB way?

And no hassle?  Have you tried using the card reader to transfer video files?   You may not have much problem digging through the subfolders to find the files, many other users do.   Not only that, how do you deal with all those meaningless file names?   And for inexperienced users, using card reader could risk deleting files or corrupting files inadvertently.

USB transfer using MTP would automatically group all the stills AND videos under [date] subfolders, and all the video files renamed with a useful [date][time] file names.  So it is very easy to find, say, all the video/still captures you did today. In addition, it would protect inexperienced users from corrupting the files.

Sir Punk
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Feb 25, 2013

I have been debating if installing playmemories or not. Does it offer any import advantage over say faststone or acdsee?

JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Feb 25, 2013

nosnoop wrote:

Photozopia wrote:

OTOH, have you tried the USB way?

And no hassle? Have you tried using the card reader to transfer video files? You may not have much problem digging through the subfolders to find the files, many other users do. Not only that, how do you deal with all those meaningless file names? And for inexperienced users, using card reader could risk deleting files or corrupting files inadvertently.

USB transfer using MTP would automatically group all the stills AND videos under [date] subfolders, and all the video files renamed with a useful [date][time] file names. So it is very easy to find, say, all the video/still captures you did today. In addition, it would protect inexperienced users from corrupting the files.

Most laptops have SD card readers - might as well use them. Folder structure can be confusing the first time, but that's it. As for filenames - what do you expect? A semantic description of a picture? Does your photo management software support batch file renaming? Mine sure does and it's free. You must not forget that one naming scheme doesn't fit everybody's requirements.

Transferring this way is also the quickest by a large margin (great for video files). However, I would not recommend deleting files from a card, but if you must, go ahead. I usually quick format the card before every shoot.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
chillgreg
Contributing MemberPosts: 911Gear list
Like?
In reply to raminolta, Feb 25, 2013

I am wondering what does this software really do?

Well, I know one thing for sure: in order to import images from camera to the computer through wi-fi, I need this software.I also know it is a image viewer.

Is this software necessary for whoever wants to buy applications for their cameras from Sony store?

Well, but there is something I don't understand.  I only need this software for wi-fi and I checked its related folder in programs folder measure 420MB. As a comparison, the full fledged Photoshop CS6 measures about 510MB . I find Playmemrioes is too big for what it does and moreover, is is excessive to force users to use such a large software for only a small driver/utility they need for wirelessly moving files from camera to their computers. I don't need any other functionality of this software whatever it is (media browser, etc.).

As a comparison, the Sony's  Wireless Auto Import under Mac which is used for importing files through wi-fi is only a few MB in size. Why isn't it available under Windows?

On my desktop I have plenty of space so it may not be an issue giving some space to a software for which I have no use. But, on my laptop, I have only a small size SSD and I would rather not waste the space for anything I don't need.

It looks like Sony is trying to walk on the Apple's footprint which pushes everybody to install and use iTunes for their iPhones. iTunes is one software I am not interested in at all (and so much I dislike syncing the way Apple has implemented it). For all the years I was a Mac user, I only used it when I had to (syncing my iPhone with  my computer). Now I no longer have an iphone or a Mac and there is absolutely no reason for iTunes.

I think Sony should provide a small utility/driver for those who only need the wi-fi function of their camera.

Send Sony a suggestion sbout the wireless utility for Windows, it's a good idea.

I think you're being a tad paranoid about the iTunes comparison.

No offense but you're thinking way too hard, hard drive space is as cheap as chips.

However you can delete the subfolders HDauthor, Help, and in the Resources folder all languages you don't need. That cuts it down to about half, give or take.

Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
TheReach
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to chillgreg, Feb 25, 2013

Or, get an Eye-Fi card.  Useful for automatic transfer on your non-wifi enabled cameras as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads