Lens hood for SX50

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
PK62
Contributing MemberPosts: 786Gear list
Like?
Lens hood for SX50
Jan 18, 2013

Anyone have a lens hood for their SX50?  I've found a 58mm adapter at Lensmate, but wondered if anyone has a hood that doesn't vignette on a 58mm adapter and if so where they found it.  Thanks

PK62's gear list:PK62's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +4 more
I2K4
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens hood for SX50
In reply to PK62, Jan 18, 2013

Is this what you want?

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/HakubaRubberHood58.php

Interesting that Lensmate redesigned the filter adapter for SX50 while Canon didn't.  Note that on predecessor models the Canon petal-type hood attached to the lens barrel on the same mount as the filter adapter (i.e. no need for the adapter to use the hood) - can't say if one of those hoods would work on SX50.  (Hood came included with my SX10 - good old days long gone.)

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FJG3
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?

I just received this a few days ago and I really like it and love the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YCNPLM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

FJG3's gear list:FJG3's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Canon PowerShot G15 +6 more
PK62
Like?
In reply to I2K4, Jan 18, 2013

I2K4 wrote:

Is this what you want?

Interesting that Lensmate redesigned the filter adapter for SX50 while Canon didn't. Note that on predecessor models the Canon petal-type hood attached to the lens barrel on the same mount as the filter adapter (i.e. no need for the adapter to use the hood) - can't say if one of those hoods would work on SX50. (Hood came included with my SX10 - good old days long gone.)

I saw that one and it'll do if that's all I can find, but just wondered if there were any others out there, like a petal type.

I know what you mean.  I have a canon 15-85 lens that didn't come with a lens hood either.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +4 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,544Gear list
Like?
This one is Excellent

In the UK too and CHEAP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230705967684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

-- hide signature --

** A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210
PK62
Like?
In reply to FJG3, Jan 18, 2013

FJG3 wrote:

can't get the link, what's the name of the hood so I can find it on Amazon.  Thanks

jbart1
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?

I have the lens hood that Canon sells for the SX50 - honestly it is so small I am nit sure it does anything and you cannot have both the lens hood and a filter attached at the same time.  It is either or due to the mounting bracket.  At it's longest point it is approximately 1 inch and since it is a deeply scalloped petal type there are large areas where the actual hood is less than 1/2 inch.

A friend is borrowing the camera so I cannot take a picture of the hood in relation to the camera but it is very tiny.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?

PK62 wrote:

I2K4 wrote:

Is this what you want?

Interesting that Lensmate redesigned the filter adapter for SX50 while Canon didn't. Note that on predecessor models the Canon petal-type hood attached to the lens barrel on the same mount as the filter adapter (i.e. no need for the adapter to use the hood) - can't say if one of those hoods would work on SX50. (Hood came included with my SX10 - good old days long gone.)

I saw that one and it'll do if that's all I can find, but just wondered if there were any others out there, like a petal type.

I know what you mean. I have a canon 15-85 lens that didn't come with a lens hood either.

This is my biggest peeve with Canon - not including hoods on non-L lenses, and then charging too much for theirs.

Mark

PK62
Like?
In reply to jbart1, Jan 18, 2013

jbart1 wrote:

I have the lens hood that Canon sells for the SX50 - honestly it is so small I am nit sure it does anything and you cannot have both the lens hood and a filter attached at the same time. It is either or due to the mounting bracket. At it's longest point it is approximately 1 inch and since it is a deeply scalloped petal type there are large areas where the actual hood is less than 1/2 inch.

A friend is borrowing the camera so I cannot take a picture of the hood in relation to the camera but it is very tiny.

Maybe I'd just be better off using an adapter and a polorizing or uv filter then. Or maybe the inexpensive rubber hood.  Thank you

DarthVader
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
In reply to jbart1, Jan 18, 2013

jbart1 wrote:

I have the lens hood that Canon sells for the SX50 - honestly it is so small I am nit sure it does anything and you cannot have both the lens hood and a filter attached at the same time. It is either or due to the mounting bracket. At it's longest point it is approximately 1 inch and since it is a deeply scalloped petal type there are large areas where the actual hood is less than 1/2 inch.

I've also bought the original Canon lens hood, and when I unpacked it, I was almost shocked at how small it was ... and what I had to pay for it: 36 Swiss Francs (which is about USD 40.00 and EUR 29.00). That's almost 10 % of the camera value and way overprized!!

-- hide signature --

Don't underestimate the Force!

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,667Gear list
Like?

This is the one I am using and it seems to work fine.  It is metal screw-in and comes with a cap.  I bought it using PayPal from http://www.heavystar.com/servlet/Categories  Good experinece with sellar!  It took about 7-8 days to get with normal shipping.  FYI I am screwing it into the Lensmate 58mm filter adapter.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
PK62
Like?
In reply to MurryG, Jan 18, 2013

MurryG wrote:

This is the one I am using and it seems to work fine. It is metal screw-in and comes with a cap. I bought it using PayPal from http://www.heavystar.com/servlet/Categories Good experinece with sellar! It took about 7-8 days to get with normal shipping. FYI I am screwing it into the Lensmate 58mm filter adapter.

Murry

-- hide signature --

I just checked out the link and it's pages of products, what's the name of the hood, so I can look at it? It sounds like just what I'm looking for.  Ijust found all of the 58mm hoods, but which one did you get?   Thanks

FJG3
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?

PK62 wrote:

FJG3 wrote:

can't get the link, what's the name of the hood so I can find it on Amazon. Thanks

This is the product description on Amazon. It's about $4 and fits perfectly.

GTMax Replacement LH-DC60 Flower Lens Hood + Lens Pen + Cleaning Cloth for Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, SX40 HS, SX30 IS Digital Camera

FJG3's gear list:FJG3's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Canon PowerShot G15 +6 more
PK62
Like?
In reply to FJG3, Jan 18, 2013

FJG3 wrote:

PK62 wrote:

FJG3 wrote:

can't get the link, what's the name of the hood so I can find it on Amazon. Thanks

This is the product description on Amazon. It's about $4 and fits perfectly.

GTMax Replacement LH-DC60 Flower Lens Hood + Lens Pen + Cleaning Cloth for Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, SX40 HS, SX30 IS Digital Camera

Thank you, I found it and ordered it...great price

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,667Gear list
Like?
In reply to PK62, Jan 19, 2013

Sorry about that, when I checked the link it took me right to the hood & cap?  It is not a tulip hood if that is what you really want?  Here is the description:

New Metal Wide Angle 58mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap

Metal Wide Angle 58mm SCREW-IN Lens Hood and Cap... S&W 58mm Metal Screw-in type lens hood and cap. BRAND NEW IN BOX... It works for any wide angle 58mm threaded lenses and more lenses under similar ranges... This lens cap is designed for the lens hood and can... $9.95Price:   Murry
-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to PK62, Jan 19, 2013

PK62 wrote:

FJG3 wrote:

Here is the link.

PK62
Like?
In reply to MurryG, Jan 19, 2013

MurryG wrote:

Sorry about that, when I checked the link it took me right to the hood & cap? It is not a tulip hood if that is what you really want? Here is the description:

New Metal Wide Angle 58mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap

Metal Wide Angle 58mm SCREW-IN Lens Hood and Cap... S&W 58mm Metal Screw-in type lens hood and cap. BRAND NEW IN BOX... It works for any wide angle 58mm threaded lenses and more lenses under similar ranges... This lens cap is designed for the lens hood and can...$9.95Price:
Murry
-- hide signature --

Thank you, I think I'll get this one too so I can use it with the filter adapter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads