How much longer will 4/3 lenses be sellable? (second hand)

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
Everdog
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
For 20 years?
In reply to K Mcgregor, Jan 22, 2013

4/3 lenses are supported by M4/3 and PDAF will soon be supported on the m4/3 bodies.

Olympus is not duplicating those lenses for this reason.

btw, since the m4/3 user base will dwarf the 4/3rds user base, you could argue soon there will be even more demand. 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,167Gear list
Like?
what Olympus DSLR Talk forum exists for
In reply to Forgottenbutnotgone, Jan 23, 2013

Forgottenbutnotgone wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

... since no one has any way of knowing what's coming next.

It may be doom and gloom, but ... look at how many staunch Olympus users have migrated to other brands. You can't really be upset at a forum that reflects reality.

Hi Robert. I've shortened the quotes so I can respond to just a few comments.

The reality for you may be that you're going to adopt another brand, if you haven't already. Olympus R&D is not reading this forum so quit complaining and shoot photos. Olympus DSLR owners have left the forum due to the continual barrage of negative posts. What this forum should not do is self-destruct.

Olympus has said there will be a new camera that utilizes 4/3 lenses by the end of 2013. That would be 3 years after releasing the E-5. ...

Whatever is "normal" for Olympus ...

Two psychologists pass each other in the hallway. One says to the other, "You're okay. How am I".  What is normal?

What works for Olympus might not work for Canikon. That's why Olympus is ahead of the game with its MILC but may be behind in sensor development.

Olympus has the same cycle the two biggest competitors follow for releasing their top of the line Pro cameras. Every 3 to 4 years.

... there other procedures that fall into play in the event that said craft is in imminent danger of sinking.

Break out the life preservers.

A good option for you is to pick up an E-620 or E-30 ...

you gain small with the 620 but you lose fast focus in low light. Basically, you are forced to go back to something you may not have been satisfied with the first time.

Go back and read the OP. He is happy with his E-520.

... After Olympus said there would be a new Olympus camera that fully utilizes the 4/3 lenses, 3 blogs followed up with boundless speculation, guessing and wishfull thinking. ...

Once again, what you had is what reflected the sentiments of a majority of people here...

That's the many who express wishful thinking. And your majority are m4/3 adopters who want a better Pen or OM-D, not DSLR affecionados. The blogs are writting entertaining speculation for wishful thinkers.

Most reasonable, loyal Olympus DSLR owners? In whose eyes? ... An occasional cryptic hinting of better things to come does not constitute being reasonable.

People who want to keep shooting Olympsu DSLR. That's what Olympus DSLR Talk forum exists for. Not Oly bashers and other brand/system loyalists.

No camera brand tells you what they are going to release a year before they're ready to market it. The only reason they said anything was to "set the record straight" (Garcia in Spain) for all the doubters. If Olympus told us there would be a DSLR in 12 months that would blow the socks off of the E-5, the sales of the E-5 and possibly the OM-D would plummet. They're not likely to do that until it's ready for release and most of their stock of E-5 have been sold.

The E-5 may have been a demonstration of good faith but even it was shrouded in uncertainty for quite a while. The E-7 that the so called reasonable and loyal owners are expecting may indeed prove to follow the E-5 as being again, too little too late.

If that's how you feel about it sell your Olympus gear and buy another brand. Move on but don't drag this forum of loyal Oly fans down with you.

... it's the dollars of the majority that end up having the final say.

Olympus does not have to cater to one majority. They can offer the Pen and OM-D to one segment and a DSLR to another. They've said they'll continue to support 4/3 lenses with a new camera by the end of this year.

It's high time for Olympus to resort to emergency procedures, and high time for the reasonable and loyal Olympus DSLR owners to complain until they do!

I'd rather Olympus take their time and develop something really good than rush to market with something that's not a significant upgrade. Not only can they put the best 4/3 sensor in an E-7 but they can continue to work on CAF, focus speed and accuracy and other advances. My E-5 has a couple more years of good service in it.

Olympus isn't reading this forum. Even our local Southwestern US sales rep once told me the other forum was a lot more positive, which shows you what he's reading. So quit complaining and let's talk about getting the most out of what we have while we wait for the E-7 to arrive.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Forgottenbutnotgone
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
Re: what Olympus DSLR Talk forum exists for
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 23, 2013
dave gaines wrote:

The reality for you may be that you're going to adopt another brand, if you haven't already. Olympus R&D is not reading this forum so quit complaining and shoot photos. Olympus DSLR owners have left the forum due to the continual barrage of negative posts. What this forum should not do is self-destruct.

I don't know how you presume to know the reality for me, but at this point you are entirely wrong. The only DSLR equipment I own and have ever owned is Olympus. As far as complaining goes, I'm not going to quit because you say so. I complain about what bothers me and I praise what pleases me. That's what this forum exists for. I also shoot photos, lots and lots of photos. I have over 60,000 photos on my cell phone alone. My posting and my photography have yet to interfere with each other. As far as DSLR owners leaving the forum, that excuse might hold water if they didn't sell off their equipment when they left. If they can be convinced that their equipment is inadequate by a barrage of negative posts, they didn't belong here to begin with.

What works for Olympus might not work for Canikon. That's why Olympus is ahead of the game with its MILC but may be behind in sensor development.

Whatever game it's ahead in obviously has not stopped the bleeding in the Four Thirds market. So, again, whatever normal is, it's probably high time to try something abnormal.

Olympus has the same cycle the two biggest competitors follow for releasing their top of the line Pro cameras. Every 3 to 4 years.

Using the inverse of your words of wisdom above, what works for CaNikon might not work for Olympus. That's why Olympus IS behind in DSLR sales but may be even further behind in potential new DSLR sales.

Go back and read the OP. He is happy with his E-520.

I did read it. That's why I said what I said. Chances are if he's happy with the 520, he'll be a lot less happy with the low ISO noise of 620 and E-30. That may be why he still has the 520 and that's exactly why DSLR afficionados like Raj and others sold theirs, remember?

That's the many who express wishful thinking. And your majority are m4/3 adopters who want a better Pen or OM-D, not DSLR affecionados. The blogs are writting entertaining speculation for wishful thinkers.

Umm, the wishful thinking is due to that being the only option left available to DSLR afficionados that would like an IMPROVED DSLR. That's also what the complaining has been about.

No camera brand tells you what they are going to release a year before they're ready to market it. If Olympus told us there would be a DSLR in 12 months that would blow the socks off of the E-5, the sales of the E-5 and possibly the OM-D would plummet. They're not likely to do that until it's ready for release and most of their stock of E-5 have been sold.

You have a point there. Of course most camera brands don't wait until people are selling off their equipment in droves to release a new model either. If Olympus said that there will definitely be a DSLR that will blow the socks off of the E-5, people would at least know to hold on to their Zuikos for now. Apparently Olympus' strategy is working, because E-5's are selling like hotcakes. The only problem is they're pre-owned and the folks selling them are buying into CANIKON, although I'm not entirely sure that's the result they were hoping for.

If that's how you feel about it sell your Olympus gear and buy another brand. Move on but don't drag this forum of loyal Oly fans down with you.

News flash. If I have the power to drag down loyal Oly fans, they AIN'T LOYAL. This is the place to discuss Olympus DSLR's. If people are disappointed why would their discussion reflect otherwise?

Olympus does not have to cater to one majority. They can offer the Pen and OM-D to one segment and a DSLR to another. They've said they'll continue to support 4/3 lenses with a new camera by the end of this year.!

Olympus doesn't have to do anything. They can sit back and depend on David Gaines to keep them in the black. How many E-5's did you buy this month?

That's exactly what I've been saying. Now you're talking some sense.

I'd rather Olympus take their time and develop something really good than rush to market with something that's not a significant upgrade. Not only can they put the best 4/3 sensor in an E-7 but they can continue to work on CAF, focus speed and accuracy and other advances. My E-5 has a couple more years of good service in it.

Again, if you were the only one Olympus had to worry about, they'd be in excellent shape. Somehow though, I just don't see you keeping their DSLR market afloat by yourself.

Olympus isn't reading this forum. Even our local Southwestern US sales rep once told me the other forum was a lot more positive, which shows you what he's reading. So quit complaining and let's talk about getting the most out of what we have while we wait for the E-7 to arrive.

Tell your rep to tell Olympus to start reading this one, and then do something about what they see here. As far as talking about getting the most out of what we have, the front page goes back 5 days right now. There is plenty of space to talk about whatever you want to talk about without telling me what I need to talk about.

Robert

K Mcgregor
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
Made my choice
In reply to Forgottenbutnotgone, Jan 23, 2013

Thanks for the input, folks. I made my choice, and I decided to stick with Olympus for now and buy the 70-300. I am quite excited to try it out tomorrow.

K Mcgregor's gear list:K Mcgregor's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +1 more
Everdog
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Re: Made my choice
In reply to K Mcgregor, Jan 24, 2013

K Mcgregor wrote:

Thanks for the input, folks. I made my choice, and I decided to stick with Olympus for now and buy the 70-300. I am quite excited to try it out tomorrow.

Worst case is you just bought a very good 1:2 macro lens that works at a distance on all Micro Four Thirds cameras....and can be use as a telephoto lens too. 

There will still be some demand for that lens long after Four Thirds is worm food.

alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: How much longer will 4/3 lenses be sellable? (second hand)

I have just decided to buy a 50-200 and await the body to use it. I cant justify $1500 for the 35-100 f2.8 for micro and dont have budget for the 35-100 f2 yet... so I am picking up a 50-200 SWD.

These things sell all the time.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
K Mcgregor
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
In reply to alatchin, Jan 24, 2013

I've used the 50-200, it's a really excellent quality bit of kit. Definitely you can tell the difference in quality between a lens like that and the cheaper zooms like the 40-150 and indeed the 70-300. However for me personally the extra weight wasn't worth it. The other lenses produce good photographs too. The 40-150 (mine is mk1, not the uber-tiny one) is just so much more portable.

I am impressed with my new 70-300 thus far, though it was extremely dull weather today. I didn't realise how good it was going to be for macro- being able to focus 3ft away at 600mm equivalent is going to be really damn useful for bug photography in summer!

I had been worried, after testing it last night indoors and reading things about its 'slow focus' that it would hunt a lot when out in the field, but actually, it's in anything a bit faster than the 40-150 and less noisy as it focuses as well. It was certainly capable of focussing where I asked it to between the branches of trees as I aimed it at small birds.

The only down side to it in general is that it really is a fairweather lens when used at 600mm equivalent. With the weather being dull today, I had to use ISO 800 and sometimes 1600 and even then the pictures were often underexposed slightly, making for more noise. But such is the inevitable result of necessary trade offs between size and speed and weight and price. It is of course, no faster, aperture-wise, than the 40-150 at 150mm (300mm equivalent)

Like the 40-150, it is slightly soft when wide open, and it has lower contrast at 600mm than any Olympus lens I have used, though possibly at least some of that is the abysmally dull weather of today. It is likely far better at narrower apertures, but like the 40-150, in Britain, it's going to spend most of its life being used wide open!

Quality is definitely more than enough for me though! Obviously not the best photo, but in today's weather, the best I could manage:

K Mcgregor's gear list:K Mcgregor's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +1 more
Private Custard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734Gear list
Like?
I'm holding on to mine....

....until the market screams out for them!

I have a 7D arriving in the post soon, but I'll keep my Oly gear stored nicely in the cupboard next to a pile of silica gel sachets!

The two kit lenses and 70-300 probably aren't worth much anyway. But I'm hoping there will be some demand for my three discontinued Sigma lenses, the 30mm 1.4, 18-50 2.8 and 50-500.

Private Custard's gear list:Private Custard's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +8 more
MJohns
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: More doom and gloom, buy an E-620 or E-30
In reply to Forgottenbutnotgone, Jan 24, 2013

I have been buying used lenses for my E-5 recently.  Love what I can get for the $.  If choosing between the 70-300 and the 50-200, try and stretch for the 50-200 and add the 1.4 tele-extender if you can.  Not cheap, but much more capable than the 70-300.  I have both and have been blown away by the 50-200 despite some great pics with the 70-300.

Late last year, I finally sold all of my old film camera gear on ebay.  Film camera bodies had almost no value (sold one less than 10 years old for $8 more than the price of the batteries I needed to prove it still worked), but the lenses sold for OK prices despite being 10 to 45 years old, and some not great quality in the first place.  Suspect that some of the old Pentax, Series 1 and Minolta lenses ended up on MFT cameras via adapters--where your FT lenses will work better.

If the pattern holds for FT, you should be able to pick up used FT cameras for very little, but lenses will hold value far better.

MJohns's gear list:MJohns's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus E-5 +6 more
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
In reply to K Mcgregor, Jan 25, 2013

K Mcgregor wrote:

I've used the 50-200, it's a really excellent quality bit of kit. Definitely you can tell the difference in quality between a lens like that and the cheaper zooms like the 40-150 and indeed the 70-300. However for me personally the extra weight wasn't worth it. The other lenses produce good photographs too. The 40-150 (mine is mk1, not the uber-tiny one) is just so much more portable.

Well my thinking is I am complimenting my m43rds and 43rds setups. I have the diminutive 40-150 for m43rds which is great, small but a bit on the slow side... That with my 9-18 are the only two m43rds zooms I have as the rest of my kit are primes.

As I have the two macros for 43rds (35 and 50) I dont need any from m43rds, and I have the 12-60, what I really lack is a fast lens for sports (I am getting into a bit of shooting local social sports). Now I can get the Panasonic for $1500, with a lot of overlap on my primes and a lot of money, or I can get the 50-200 which only loses half a stop of light and have much more range, and is weathersealed :)... Makes sense.

I am impressed with my new 70-300 thus far, though it was extremely dull weather today. I didn't realise how good it was going to be for macro- being able to focus 3ft away at 600mm equivalent is going to be really damn useful for bug photography in summer!

I am not a telephoto kind of guy and to date have owned nothing longer than 150mm, so this 50-200 will be fun. I was thinking of the 70-300, but I do want the faster glass, and with so many Olympus users fleeing the system, now is a good time to be a buyer

I had been worried, after testing it last night indoors and reading things about its 'slow focus' that it would hunt a lot when out in the field, but actually, it's in anything a bit faster than the 40-150 and less noisy as it focuses as well. It was certainly capable of focussing where I asked it to between the branches of trees as I aimed it at small birds.

The only down side to it in general is that it really is a fairweather lens when used at 600mm equivalent. With the weather being dull today, I had to use ISO 800 and sometimes 1600 and even then the pictures were often underexposed slightly, making for more noise. But such is the inevitable result of necessary trade offs between size and speed and weight and price. It is of course, no faster, aperture-wise, than the 40-150 at 150mm (300mm equivalent)

Like the 40-150, it is slightly soft when wide open, and it has lower contrast at 600mm than any Olympus lens I have used, though possibly at least some of that is the abysmally dull weather of today. It is likely far better at narrower apertures, but like the 40-150, in Britain, it's going to spend most of its life being used wide open!

Yup, Britain can be grey But I still miss home.

Quality is definitely more than enough for me though! Obviously not the best photo, but in today's weather, the best I could manage:

This is a lovely picture, maybe a abit of post processing for contrast would give a bit of depth? But just the teeniest tiniest bit.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to alatchin, Jan 25, 2013

alatchin wrote:

K Mcgregor wrote:

This is a lovely picture, maybe a abit of post processing for contrast would give a bit of depth? But just the teeniest tiniest bit.

It is a nicely composed image but what kills it isn't the contrast, it's the noise. Esp the color noise.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads