Digital or film? Can you tell? Locked

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Digital or film? Can you tell?
Jan 18, 2013

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

Which pics do you think are film and which are digital? Some have been post processed with sharpening/cropping/resizing etc.

If you can tell one is film, can you also tell what type/brand?

http://imgur.com/a/81Nsb

gordonpritchard
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013

They're all digital. Some from the original capture. Others from the scan of the analog original. As such they've all been processed digitally.

best, gordo

 gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to gordonpritchard, Jan 18, 2013

gordonpritchard wrote:

They're all digital. Some from the original capture. Others from the scan of the analog original. As such they've all been processed digitally.

best, gordo

Ok seriously no need for pedeantic technicality.

Which ones were originally shot on film?

amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013

Would be difficult to know once the image is digitized. Maybe if it was an original print from negative...

 amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,497Gear list
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013

I'd venture to say they are all film since there is a soft quality about them.......  they lack the crisp detail and tack sharpness of digital

 Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +6 more
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,754
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to Hank3152, Jan 18, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

I'd venture to say they are all film since there is a soft quality about them....... they lack the crisp detail and tack sharpness of digital

It's not really possible to tell, what detail they have, when looking at the websized photos. Those soft shots, obviously so, are simply cropped.

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,754
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to amosf, Jan 18, 2013

amosf wrote:

Would be difficult to know once the image is digitized.

Nah, it's easy.

OP is just having fun here; don't take his trick question which is film, which is digital seriously.

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,483
Oh No - or Oh Yes!
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

I accept it was meant to be a fun posting but in all honesty, every shot exhibits so many technical faults (like totally blown highlights as one example) that there seems little point trying.

As a long-time film and digital user (and I taught the highest techiniqes for Colour and B+W) there should be little or no difference in the end printed results if produced by someone with the required expertise.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
What does it matter ? (nt)
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013
-- hide signature --

StephenG

IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: Oh No - or Oh Yes!
In reply to Zone8, Jan 18, 2013

Zone8 wrote:

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

I accept it was meant to be a fun posting but in all honesty, every shot exhibits so many technical faults (like totally blown highlights as one example) that there seems little point trying.

As a long-time film and digital user (and I taught the highest techiniqes for Colour and B+W) there should be little or no difference in the end printed results if produced by someone with the required expertise.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

technical faults?... if you are into photography for technical reasons you're in it for the wrong ones.

IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: What does it matter ? (nt)
In reply to Deleted1929, Jan 18, 2013

sjgcit wrote:

-- hide signature --

StephenG

your message had no message

IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to coudet, Jan 18, 2013

It's funny.. multiple people can't tell, so they resorted to just insulting my photography.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Do you read subject lines ? (nt)
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013
-- hide signature --

StephenG

Roberto de La Tour
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

Which pics do you think are film and which are digital? Some have been post processed with sharpening/cropping/resizing etc.

If you can tell one is film, can you also tell what type/brand?

http://imgur.com/a/81Nsb

I am not sure. It's years and years I do first film (including B&W darkroom) then digital, but I am not experienced enough in digital PP and technique to tell. But one way would be, if the scan is very high resolution (and maybe if we are talking of 400 ASA film), crop/enlarge until you see the grain. You need very high scan resolution, because if not the pixelisation would appear before the grain.

Digital ones would just show pixelisation.

Not sure how to do that with these web-posted pictures.

-- hide signature --

Roberto

IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: Do you read subject lines ? (nt)
In reply to Deleted1929, Jan 18, 2013

sjgcit wrote:

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Your message is empty again..

IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to Roberto de La Tour, Jan 18, 2013

Roberto de La Tour wrote:

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

Which pics do you think are film and which are digital? Some have been post processed with sharpening/cropping/resizing etc.

If you can tell one is film, can you also tell what type/brand?

http://imgur.com/a/81Nsb

I am not sure. It's years and years I do first film (including B&W darkroom) then digital, but I am not experienced enough in digital PP and technique to tell. But one way would be, if the scan is very high resolution (and maybe if we are talking of 400 ASA film), crop/enlarge until you see the grain. You need very high scan resolution, because if not the pixelisation would appear before the grain.

Digital ones would just show pixelisation.

Not sure how to do that with these web-posted pictures.

-- hide signature --

Roberto

My upload speed is slow so I couldn't upload all high res, if there are a few you want to check out let me know and I'll upload full res

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,048Gear list
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

We are pleased you had so much fun, yet as other poster pointed, either is now digital.

Which pics do you think are film and which are digital? Some have been post processed with sharpening/cropping/resizing etc.

Right! Let's make things more confusing and introduce random variables..to prove what?

If you can tell one is film, can you also tell what type/brand?

And should we also guess what track from which album of what author you were listening when processing the scans done by guess-what-brand scanner? Get real man. If you want to prove something or have some statement to make, say it. This kind of childish games is utterly pointless.

I will tell you answers as soon as you guess how many matches are left in the red matchbox I have on my  desk.....I can send you the picture of the box, if that helps (though "red" already helps a lot).

You may have "Ice" in your forum name - that still doesn't make you "cool".

Cheers, mate. It was 44°C in Sydney today and that is hot!

http://imgur.com/a/81Nsb

 ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to ZorSy, Jan 18, 2013

ZorSy wrote:

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

We are pleased you had so much fun, yet as other poster pointed, either is now digital.

Ok?? That really doesn't matter and it was obvious to anyone with a brain cell the idea was to distinguish which was shot by which.

Which pics do you think are film and which are digital? Some have been post processed with sharpening/cropping/resizing etc.

Right! Let's make things more confusing and introduce random variables..to prove what?

Not to prove anything, don't take it so seriously.

If you can tell one is film, can you also tell what type/brand?

And should we also guess what track from which album of what author you were listening when processing the scans done by guess-what-brand scanner? Get real man. If you want to prove something or have some statement to make, say it. This kind of childish games is utterly pointless.

I will tell you answers as soon as you guess how many matches are left in the red matchbox I have on my desk.....I can send you the picture of the box, if that helps (though "red" already helps a lot).

You may have "Ice" in your forum name - that still doesn't make you "cool".

Cheers, mate. It was 44°C in Sydney today and that is hot!

http://imgur.com/a/81Nsb

You take things too seriously.. It's pointless to YOU, not me. So if everything is pointless to YOU should nothing be posted as well?

And 4.

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,048Gear list
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to IceShot, Jan 18, 2013

IceShot wrote:

ZorSy wrote:

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

We are pleased you had so much fun, yet as other poster pointed, either is now digital.

Ok?? That really doesn't matter and it was obvious to anyone with a brain cell the idea was to distinguish which was shot by which.

Which pics do you think are film and which are digital? Some have been post processed with sharpening/cropping/resizing etc.

Right! Let's make things more confusing and introduce random variables..to prove what?

Not to prove anything, don't take it so seriously.

If you can tell one is film, can you also tell what type/brand?

And should we also guess what track from which album of what author you were listening when processing the scans done by guess-what-brand scanner? Get real man. If you want to prove something or have some statement to make, say it. This kind of childish games is utterly pointless.

I will tell you answers as soon as you guess how many matches are left in the red matchbox I have on my desk.....I can send you the picture of the box, if that helps (though "red" already helps a lot).

You may have "Ice" in your forum name - that still doesn't make you "cool".

Cheers, mate. It was 44°C in Sydney today and that is hot!

http://imgur.com/a/81Nsb

You take things too seriously.. It's pointless to YOU, not me. So if everything is pointless to YOU should nothing be posted as well?

And 4.

Mate, you do have some problems yet this is no place to sort out your frustrations by barking at the people. And I'm not to first one in this tread to whom you've been quite rude just because you have some joke nobody else found funny. Trying to insult other posters for "not getting it" could mean the joke sucks, don't you think? And the insults are always taken seriously, bad joke is just a bad joke, light stuff. And, nor Agfa, Fuji or Kodak film produces 8 bit JPEG in sRGB - if you claim they do, then you may have missed the concept of film as medium.

 ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
IceShot
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Re: Digital or film? Can you tell?
In reply to ZorSy, Jan 18, 2013

ZorSy wrote:

IceShot wrote:

ZorSy wrote:

IceShot wrote:

This is just a fun experiment I wanted to try.. and if you don't think there is a point to it technically speaking, do it at least for my enjoyment lol.

We are pleased you had so much fun, yet as other poster pointed, either is now digital.

Ok?? That really doesn't matter and it was obvious to anyone with a brain cell the idea was to distinguish which was shot by which.

Which pics do you think are film and which are digital? Some have been post processed with sharpening/cropping/resizing etc.

Right! Let's make things more confusing and introduce random variables..to prove what?

Not to prove anything, don't take it so seriously.

If you can tell one is film, can you also tell what type/brand?

And should we also guess what track from which album of what author you were listening when processing the scans done by guess-what-brand scanner? Get real man. If you want to prove something or have some statement to make, say it. This kind of childish games is utterly pointless.

I will tell you answers as soon as you guess how many matches are left in the red matchbox I have on my desk.....I can send you the picture of the box, if that helps (though "red" already helps a lot).

You may have "Ice" in your forum name - that still doesn't make you "cool".

Cheers, mate. It was 44°C in Sydney today and that is hot!

http://imgur.com/a/81Nsb

You take things too seriously.. It's pointless to YOU, not me. So if everything is pointless to YOU should nothing be posted as well?

And 4.

Mate, you do have some problems yet this is no place to sort out your frustrations by barking at the people. And I'm not to first one in this tread to whom you've been quite rude just because you have some joke nobody else found funny. Trying to insult other posters for "not getting it" could mean the joke sucks, don't you think? And the insults are always taken seriously, bad joke is just a bad joke, light stuff. And, nor Agfa, Fuji or Kodak film produces 8 bit JPEG in sRGB - if you claim they do, then you may have missed the concept of film as medium.

Well someone deleted my last reply so you can imagine what it said. You take this too seriously. I never said it was a joke, YOU did. It's apparent that only threads YOU find amusing should be allowed on here. Leave the thread, no one is forcing you to read it. In case you didn't notice, the other people insulted ME for no reason first. If people don't get it, they don't have to. And what does 8 bit jpeg in srgb have to do with anything? It's obvious they are all digital NOW, but like you said originally you think that somehow is a crucial point. It isn't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads