Pixma Pro 100 prints are too dark

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Questions
Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: Pixma Pro 100 prints are too dark
In reply to klavrack, Apr 24, 2013

klavrack wrote:

Just an update--my new-in-box i960 is doing great.  Just finished 1st tank of BCI-6 Photo Magenta.  I replaced it with a CLI-8PM tank--still spot-on color and I get a fairly economical option with better fade resistance.  Shame on Canon for phasing such printers out, IMO.  Last time I looked, a new-in-box i9900 was listed on Ebay for $1500.  Still, lots of happy PRO-100 owners out there.  Any word on yours?

Using a quick printer test page that contains an image with a deep blue sky, I printed it on my PRO-100 using no special settings other than printer manages color in Photoshop CS6.  I actually have been printing on Epson Glossy Photo paper as I have stacks of it, and it churns out fairly accurate pictures on the PRO-100 set to "Other glossy" paper.

With that said, the blues are perfect on this test image on my PRO-100.  Deep blue with no hint of purple.  Even the images with other shades of blue (like the blue jeans and bluish rolling hills) look accurate.  The image of the plates has a bluish-purple plate and that prints spot-on with the image on my screen.  Just the right amount of blue and purple in the plate.

This is good and bad.  It's good because my printer does not seem to have the blue-purple problem.  It's bad because it now appears to be a random problem and I was thinking of picking up another PRO-100 since the price/rebate deal is really sweet right now ($149 after rebate at Atlex and includes a pack of 13x19 paper).  For that price, I get a new printer, a new set of inks and paper.  It's like getting a free printer!  I purchased two PRO-100's in FEB (me and a friend) when the rebate was $200 ($199 after rebate). Rebate comes in about 2 weeks...very fast.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
In reply to Darryl E Mylrea, Apr 24, 2013

I tried and 2nd picture with a large amount of blue sky.

The extreme upper right (where the sky looks the darkest) might have a tinge of purple, more so than what is displayed on the screen.  The rest of the sky on the print looks perfect.

I'm not too worried, though.  The OP's problems seemed much more extreme.

No doubt, though, that Canon can fix the problem with a driver or firmware fix.

penns
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to klavrack, May 10, 2013

klavrack wrote:

Just an update--my new-in-box i960 is doing great.  Just finished 1st tank of BCI-6 Photo Magenta.  I replaced it with a CLI-8PM tank--still spot-on color and I get a fairly economical option with better fade resistance.  Shame on Canon for phasing such printers out, IMO.  Last time I looked, a new-in-box i9900 was listed on Ebay for $1500.  Still, lots of happy PRO-100 owners out there.  Any word on yours?

Canon had me send mine in and they tried it and said it was printing fine.  Then they lost it.  Sent me a brand new printer.  Still having the same problem.  I went through half a pack of 4x6s trying to adjust it how they told me to.  Still can't get the bright blue from the original (hp) printer.  I did talk to Robert at one point and he seemed helpful.  I called yesterday to talk to Robert but the guy that answered the phone (Jason) checked with someone and then came back and said my printer was fine.  He sounded like he was getting sick of me calling.  Robert had said that when he tried printing my pic it came out like the one from the hp.  (I had emailed a pic of the two laying next to each other.)  I am willing to admit that there may be a software conflict on my end, but I have no idea how to resolve it.  It has been neatly 3 months.  I can't send it back, but I bought it with a premium card that has some buyer protection.  I may have to call them.

penns
Like?
In reply to Darryl E Mylrea, May 10, 2013

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

I tried and 2nd picture with a large amount of blue sky.

The extreme upper right (where the sky looks the darkest) might have a tinge of purple, more so than what is displayed on the screen.  The rest of the sky on the print looks perfect.

I'm not too worried, though.  The OP's problems seemed much more extreme.

No doubt, though, that Canon can fix the problem with a driver or firmware fix.

I don't know if you read through all my posts about my problem.  But awhile ago in this thread I posted the comparison picture of the two prints.  It's a lousy pic, but you can see the difference in the sky color.  Anything I print that has blue in it the blue comes out purple.  I've tried adjusting the printer settings, but nothing works.  It could very well be a software conflict, but I have no idea how to resolve it.  Thanks for your input.

penns
Like?
In reply to penns, May 10, 2013

penns wrote:

klavrack wrote:

Canon had me send mine in and they tried it and said it was printing fine.  Then they lost it.  Sent me a brand new printer.  Still having the same problem.  I went through half a pack of 4x6s trying to adjust it how they told me to.  Still can't get the bright blue from the original (hp) printer.  I did talk to Robert at one point and he seemed helpful.  I called yesterday to talk to Robert but the guy that answered the phone (Jason) checked with someone and then came back and said my printer was fine.  He sounded like he was getting sick of me calling.  Robert had said that when he tried printing my pic it came out like the one from the hp.  (I had emailed a pic of the two laying next to each other.)  I am willing to admit that there may be a software conflict on my end, but I have no idea how to resolve it.  It has been neatly 3 months.  I can't send it back, but I bought it with a premium card that has some buyer protection.  I may have to call them.

No it's not a software conflict--what was I thinking?  My daughter installed Canon's software on her MacBook and it did the same thing.  I had the pic in question printed at CVS and it came out wrong but in the opposite direction.  The sky was an unrealistic bright teal color.  Where can I get the pic printed so I can really see what it is supposed to be?  Remember this pic was taken straight off the camera--no editing of the original file.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,308
Like?

penns wrote:

No it's not a software conflict--what was I thinking?  My daughter installed Canon's software on her MacBook and it did the same thing.  I had the pic in question printed at CVS and it came out wrong but in the opposite direction.  The sky was an unrealistic bright teal color.  Where can I get the pic printed so I can really see what it is supposed to be?  Remember this pic was taken straight off the camera--no editing of the original file.

I don't think anyone was suggesting a software conflict, more likely a workflow problem. Printing from a different platform is not going to change things if the same workflow is used.

I don't remember all the details, but you were printing from Windows, using an un-color managed program such as Windows Picture Viewer, or something similar. With such an application you have no choice but let the printer manage color, which should work just fine.

I think that later on you posted screen shots of dialogs using Photoshop, with Photoshop managing color, but with wrong profile selected – an sRGB workspace profile instead of a paper/printer profile.

The easiest thing would be to let the printer manage color, and ensure that Photoshop is set for the printer managing color. If you want to post dialogs showing all your settings, from start to finish, I will have a look at them and see if I can fathom where you are going wrong.

Brian A

penns
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, May 10, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

I don't think anyone was suggesting a software conflict, more likely a workflow problem. Printing from a different platform is not going to change things if the same workflow is used.

I don't remember all the details, but you were printing from Windows, using an un-color managed program such as Windows Picture Viewer, or something similar. With such an application you have no choice but let the printer manage color, which should work just fine.

I think that later on you posted screen shots of dialogs using Photoshop, with Photoshop managing color, but with wrong profile selected – an sRGB workspace profile instead of a paper/printer profile.

The easiest thing would be to let the printer manage color, and ensure that Photoshop is set for the printer managing color. If you want to post dialogs showing all your settings, from start to finish, I will have a look at them and see if I can fathom where you are going wrong.

Brian A

I gave up on using Photoshop.  It's an old version and I don't really know how to use it anyway.  So, I am back to try to print through Windows Photo Viewer.

Here is another one of the pics I have been trying to print.  With no adjustments I get purple bottles.  I have tried adjusting the printing properties in the dialog box.  I have -15 magenta, -15 yellow and the brightness on light.  The bottles come out a dark, almost navy blue.  When in addition I put cyan at +15 there is no difference at all.

Thanks

Hugowolf
Like?

There shouldn't be any need to do any color adjustment at all. With the image of the tree that you posted earlier, there were no out-of-gamut colors, even using a matte art paper profile.

What settings are you using in printer's dialog?

Brian A

penns
Like?

Hugowolf wrote:

There shouldn't be any need to do any color adjustment at all. With the image of the tree that you posted earlier, there were no out-of-gamut colors, even using a matte art paper profile.

What settings are you using in printer's dialog?

Brian A

I'm new at this--where do I set the printer's dialog?  This is what I get when I print with windows photo viewer

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,321
Like?

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

I gave up on using Photoshop.  It's an old version and I don't really know how to use it anyway.  So, I am back to try to print through Windows Photo Viewer.

Here is another one of the pics I have been trying to print.  With no adjustments I get purple bottles.  I have tried adjusting the printing properties in the dialog box.  I have -15 magenta, -15 yellow and the brightness on light.  The bottles come out a dark, almost navy blue.  When in addition I put cyan at +15 there is no difference at all.

Thanks

Two months ago I downloaded and printed one of your photos on my Canon 9000 MKII which as close as it gets to your pro-100

As you saw, the "Blues" were not "Purple"

By the way what most folk call blue is really Cyan and true optical blue is more of our common called purple.

You should not need to adjust any of your sliders.

When you do that to say pull out some of your purple, you are in reality globally shifting your hues so not only are you affecting your unwanted purple shades but also everything else. Imagine if you had a neutral tone somewhere on that image, it would shift and no longer be neutral because the sliders affect everything. It's not like Photoshop or Lightroom where one can indeed shift specific colors one way of another. Imagine if your image contained flesh tones and you shifted the sliders. You would end up with the flesh hue being off.

Printing on a MAC if you have Colorsinc ON could introduce problems. Specially when trying to print from an ICC profile.

Please list for us, EVERY single detail of your printing work flow. Nothing is too insignificant. So this way we can tell exactly what you are doing and then we can go from there.

Joe

PS:

By the way I just printer your image shown here and it matches what I see on my monitor. Including the blue bottles.

Hugowolf
Like?

You need to find something else to print from. Windows Photo Viewer is restricting your access to the printer's settings. Something like the free FastStone program should do.

Brian A

Hugowolf
Like?

Hugowolf wrote:

You need to find something else to print from. Windows Photo Viewer is restricting your access to the printer's settings. Something like the free FastStone program should do.

Brian A

OK, I found them in Photo Viewer. There is an Options link, just above the Cancel button, in there go to Printer Properties..., that will open the printer driver's dialog box.

Brian A

penns
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, May 10, 2013

Please list for us, EVERY single detail of your printing work flow. Nothing is too insignificant. So this way we can tell exactly what you are doing and then we can go from there.

Ok  I open the picture in Windows photo viewer.  At the top I choose print.  It is a drop down where I choose print again. 
I get this dialog box:

There is an options tab near the bottom where I can choose color management or printer properties.   Under quick setup I choose the paper type, size, quality (high) and rear feed.  The second tab is Main, where I can choose manual color management.  There is also the matching tab.  What should it be set on?  I put it on none when I was using Photoshop but now it is on driver matching.  The other option is ICM.  I am not using Photoshop at all now because I do not know enough about how to use it.  Besides I am not trying to edit the pictures.

I would rather leave the color management on auto and not have to mess with this.  On auto, I just print it from here.  With manual, I click ok and then print.  What else do you need to know?  I haven't changed another settings that I know of.

Hugowolf
Like?

penns wrote:

I would rather leave the color management on auto and not have to mess with this.  On auto, I just print it from here.  With manual, I click ok and then print.  What else do you need to know?  I haven't changed another settings that I know of.

Since Auto seems to be causing problems, I would suggest trying to get the printer to use the correct paper/printer profile.

In the Main tab of the printer properties dialog:
Select the media type for the Canon paper you are using.
Select a print quality of high or standard
Under color/intensity, choose Manual
Then press the Set button

There are two tabs in this dialog, everything in the Color Adjustment tab should be set to zero or normal.

On the Matching tab:
From the Color Correction dropdown, choose ICM
For the Input Profile, choose Standard
For the Printer Profile, choose the one that matches your Canon paper
For the Rendering Intent, choose Relative Colorimetric

OK out of everything until you get back to where you have a print button. You should now be ready to print.

Brian A

penns
Like?

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Since Auto seems to be causing problems, I would suggest trying to get the printer to use the correct paper/printer profile.

There are two tabs in this dialog, everything in the Color Adjustment tab should be set to zero or normal.

On the Matching tab:

OK out of everything until you get back to where you have a print button. You should now be ready to print.

Brian A

Ok tried that.  Still purple.

Hugowolf
Like?

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

On the Matching tab:

Brian A

The bottles look quite purple on my calibrated monitor. How about the Tree shot sky?

Brian A

penns
Like?

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

On the Matching tab:

Brian A

The bottles look quite purple on my calibrated monitor. How about the Tree shot sky?

Brian A

I'm not sure which tree shot?  Are you getting me confused with someone else?  I have been working with these bottles and a shot of some rooftops in Venice.

penns
Like?

This is the other shot I've been working with.

What does the sky look like to you here?

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,321
Like?

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

On the Matching tab:

Brian A

Brian A

I'm not sure which tree shot?  Are you getting me confused with someone else?  I have been working with these bottles and a shot of some rooftops in Venice.

By the way your bottles also look purplish on my Hardware calibrated monitor as well.

Have you considered that you monitor may be displaying you image incorrectly? So when the printer prints it the way it actually is, it looks off?

Have you tried printing a standard image file without editing it. These files are intended to bypass the monitor's calibration. The image file will have a composite of different images and a black to white ramp as well as RGB and CMY patches which will be very easy to visually determine if the printer is printing correctly. If one of these images prints perfectly but does not look correct on your monitor, them you will know that it's you monitor that needs calibration.

Here is a particularly good one that I use.

Print it using only standard settings. Do not use any slider adjustments. Neutralize everything. Just use the settings you were given a few posts ago. Then look at it in Daylight. Look for the color on the black to white ramp where it should be neutral. The photos should appear "Right" not too light not too dark and the colors should appear natural with no shift in either direction.

Unless you printer is not printing correctly, this print should be excellent.

Joe

penns
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, May 10, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

On the Matching tab:

Brian A

Brian A

By the way your bottles also look purplish on my Hardware calibrated monitor as well.

Have you considered that you monitor may be displaying you image incorrectly? So when the printer prints it the way it actually is, it looks off?

Have you tried printing a standard image file without editing it. These files are intended to bypass the monitor's calibration. The image file will have a composite of different images and a black to white ramp as well as RGB and CMY patches which will be very easy to visually determine if the printer is printing correctly. If one of these images prints perfectly but does not look correct on your monitor, them you will know that it's you monitor that needs calibration.

Here is a particularly good one that I use.

Print it using only standard settings. Do not use any slider adjustments. Neutralize everything. Just use the settings you were given a few posts ago. Then look at it in Daylight. Look for the color on the black to white ramp where it should be neutral. The photos should appear "Right" not too light not too dark and the colors should appear natural with no shift in either direction.

Unless you printer is not printing correctly, this print should be excellent.

Joe

I printed Canon's stock photo for them.  It was dark/purple.  I've decided to give up and will be trying something different.  My credit can gives me extended return privileges for 90 days and I called them this afternoon.   The 90 days is up on Tuesday so I had to decide.  I appreciate everyone's help on this.  I am very disappointed, because this printer seemed to be just what I was looking for.  Not sure what I'll buy, but I'm looking at Epson.  Thanks again

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads