Re: Pixma Pro 100 prints are too dark
In reply to penns, Mar 31, 2013

penns wrote:

klavrack wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Here are some screen shots.  The first is if I print in Photoshop,

In the Photoshop dialog, the printer profile should be a printer profile, not a working space profile. It should be the profile for the paper.

And, if Photoshop is managing  color, you need to turn off printer color managment, I don't see that in the printer dialog, but perhaps the manual setting does that?

(You can get a screen grab of just the current window, or current dialog, byusing alt-PrtScn, instead of just PrtScn, which grabs the entire display.)

Brian A

Ok Tried that.  The sky seems less purple, but now the buildings are hot pink.

I'm trying to calibrate my new PRO-100 received today and have EXACTLY the same problem.  My old Canon i860 has no problem with the blues, but this thing turns them purple.  The same thing happens with various papers and print settings, printed from Paint Shop Pro, from Lightroom or from Windows Picture viewer.  I'll try to call Canon Monday, but it's utterly unusable like this.  If you figure it out, let me know and I'll do likewise.

Whew, now I know I'm not crazy.  But sorry you are having the same problem.  I called Canon 3 or 4 weeks ago.  They sent me to a service center but they didn't know what to do.  Canon ended up sending me a replacement printer.  New printer does the same thing.  I love the clarity of the prints. but the blue/purple problem is driving me crazy.  And thanks in advance for letting me know what you figure out.

Update--At Canon's e-mail customer service line's direction, I printed a test pattern--no clogged heads, and printed an image using their Easy-photoprint EX software--still purple.  You have more patience than I.  If Canon phone rep's can't talk me through the problem tomorrow, it's going back to Amazon.  I'm willing to concede that I might be doing something wrong, but if they can't determine what, I'll get a printer that I know how to get proper results from.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
In reply to penns, Mar 31, 2013

penns wrote:

Just to review--Prints were pronting dark.  (Darker than same pics printed on HP printer)  Called Canon.  Told me to bring it in to service.  Canon sent me a new printer.

So here I am and the printer is still printing the same, so it has to ba a setting.  I had been focusing on one particular print that had a beautifil blue sky and couldn't get the sky right.  I printed out several other pictures and I've figured out it is NOT a problem with darkness.  It is a problem with the blue.  I am getting more magenta in the blue than I should be so the sky looks darker, grayer, or purpler.  I printed a pic with green orange and yellow tulips and it was beautiful.  Much sharper than the pic printed on the HP.

Then I tried printing other pictures with a lot of blue.  Hydrangeas were purple and gray,  There is some blue, but it is not as bright and clear as it should be.  Next I printed a pic of a fish market where the fish were in bright blue plastic tubs.  Definite purple overtone.

Any idea how to fix this?  Thanks!

Here's what I'm seeing:  IMGP0469b is the original.  The others are pretty accurate low-res scans of how the file prints on my i860 and my PRO-100.  The PRO-100 print is with color matching off--the best I could get (way worse with it on), and it indistinguishable from a print made using Canon's easy-photoprint utility.  I find it a little odd that their CS department sent me a jpeg to try with the easy-photoprint that had no blue tones and a tiny bit of purples.  That looks okay, naturally.

original

i860 print scan

PRO-100 print scan

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,604
Like?
In reply to klavrack, Mar 31, 2013

Your Original Image file

Now here is a 100 PPI uncorrected scan of my print on the Canon PRO9000 MKII Printer

Using only standard printer driver settings for Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II

High quality, 4x6 Glossy from Staples. Not even on CANON PAPER!!!!!

So there you are. You have to be doing something wrong as I did without ANY special settings at all.

It's not a perfect match but I don't see your purple renditions of the blues.

klavrack
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 31, 2013

I can see that your PRO9000 print rendered properly.  Whether that means that my print on a PRO-100 is poor be cause of my fault or printer error is still in question.  I hope it's my mistake and that Canon phone rep's can talk me through it.  Their e-mailed suggestions haven't helped, nor have the various suggestions I've seen here.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

penns
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 1, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

In the Photoshop dialog, the printer profile should be a printer profile, not a working space profile. It should be the profile for the paper.

And, if Photoshop is managing  color, you need to turn off printer color managment, I don't see that in the printer dialog, but perhaps the manual setting does that?

(You can get a screen grab of just the current window, or current dialog, byusing alt-PrtScn, instead of just PrtScn, which grabs the entire display.)

Brian A

So what is the name of the paper profile youare using? And are you sure you are turning off color management in the printer. You haven't shown a printer dialog box yet.

Brian A

Sorry, I'm new at this.  What is the printer dialog box that you need to see?  I've tried two profiles, the one highlighted in the screenshot here and the profile just below that one.  I am using Glossy II Canon paper.  I had the problem before I ever installed Photoshop, using Windows photo viewer and the Canon Easy photo print software that came with the printer.

Yes but are you turning off color management in the printer driver when you are letting Photoshop manage color through that Canon ICC profile? It is located by clicking on Color / Intensity Manual Adjustment. Then on Matching and then on NONE.

As Brian said, since you stated you are new at this maybe you need to just concentrate on printing with Canon Paper and letting Canon drive control color and in the Photoshop Print dialog indicate that you want the printer to control color.

You could also use the Canon Easy Print PRO plugin that comes with the Software CD. It is super easy and does give very good matches.

Joe

When I first got the printer, I didn't even have Photoshop installed.  I printed with the software that came with the printer--Easy Photo Print.  I have tried every printing program possible including air print from my iPad.  I am printing on Canon Paper--Photo Paper Plus Glossy II.  I have not figured out how to turn off letting the printer control color.  When I go to the control panel and right click on the printer, one of the options is printer properties.  There I find color management, but there is no Intensity Manual adjustment.  Thanks.

penns
Like?
In reply to klavrack, Apr 1, 2013

klavrack wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

So what is the name of the paper profile youare using? And are you sure you are turning off color management in the printer. You haven't shown a printer dialog box yet.

Brian A

Sorry, I'm new at this.  What is the printer dialog box that you need to see?  I've tried two profiles, the one highlighted in the screenshot here and the profile just below that one.  I am using Glossy II Canon paper.  I had the problem before I ever installed Photoshop, using Windows photo viewer and the Canon Easy photo print software that came with the printer.

Yes but are you turning off color management in the printer driver when you are letting Photoshop manage color through that Canon ICC profile? It is located by clicking on Color / Intensity Manual Adjustment. Then on Matching and then on NONE.

As Brian said, since you stated you are new at this maybe you need to just concentrate on printing with Canon Paper and letting Canon drive control color and in the Photoshop Print dialog indicate that you want the printer to control color.

You could also use the Canon Easy Print PRO plugin that comes with the Software CD. It is super easy and does give very good matches.

Joe

Yes, tried that, too.  We're not talking about a minor magenta shift here--cool blues come out purple.  I've printed the same files on the same paper for years, using the i860 (LOVE that printer), even the throw-away bargain-bin ip2702 and HP equivalent--never had blues do this.  FYI Penns--I just updated to the newest versions of Canon's software.  No change.  I can improve it some with huge adjustments on the manual balance, but it's still off, and I don't plan to try that with each type of paper.  BTW, I'm using Windows 7 (x64)...you?

Yes, Windows 7 x64.  I've checked software versions, but I have the latest one.  Here is a pic I took on my iPhone that shows the prints from my two different printers.  (There is a glare on them that looks like something different from one sky to the other.)  I know the quality is poor, but you get the idea.  Both are unedited straight off the camera.

jtoolman
Like?
In reply to penns, Apr 1, 2013

penns wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

Brian A

Joe

When I first got the printer, I didn't even have Photoshop installed.  I printed with the software that came with the printer--Easy Photo Print.  I have tried every printing program possible including air print from my iPad.  I am printing on Canon Paper--Photo Paper Plus Glossy II.  I have not figured out how to turn off letting the printer control color.  When I go to the control panel and right click on the printer, one of the options is printer properties.  There I find color management, but there is no Intensity Manual adjustment.  Thanks.

Of course it's there!

Here you go! It's the same for pretty much ALL Canons.

penns
Like?

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

Brian A

Joe

Of course it's there!

Thanks, finally found it!

penns
Like?

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

Brian A

Joe

Of course it's there!

Maybe a tiny bit of improvement.  Not enough.  Did you see the two pic comparison I posted?  Also, is there something I should change in color management for the device? I've been using the default.  But I choose the paper profile when I print.  I have another printer connected to this computer for printing non-photos.  Will this device profile only be associated with this printer?  And do I need to go into this box every time I change paper?

jtoolman
Like?

penns wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

Brian A

Joe

Of course it's there!

Maybe a tiny bit of improvement.  Not enough.  Did you see the two pic comparison I posted?  Also, is there something I should change in color management for the device? I've been using the default.  But I choose the paper profile when I print.  I have another printer connected to this computer for printing non-photos.  Will this device profile only be associated with this printer?  And do I need to go into this box every time I change paper?

NO! If you are going to print letting PS manage color, ONLY choose the ICC profile for the specific paper you are going to print on. In the CANON driver turn OFF color adjustment where I showed you. If you are still getting bad color after this the it could be your actual file.

Watch this very simple tut on how to print to a Canon. It's form Red River papers but it shows exactly how to print to a Canon with their ICC profiles for their Papers. You would be doing the same exact thing printing to your Canon Paper using Canon's ICC for that paper. Remember that when choosing the "Paper Choice" option in the Canon Driver, that IS NOT choosing a Profile!!!! It is choosing physical parameters for that TYPE of paper. Such as Thickness and Surface type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-yOpg68PQU&list=PL59B84F5DDF1CDEA9

Joe

Joe

klavrack
Like?

Bad news here--burned through a bunch more paper trying various programs, settings and paper.  The best was through Lightroom 3 with all color management turned off for the printer driver, but it was still way off.  Spent 3 hours on phone with Canon.  Finally sent them my file and the scanned print from my PRO-100.  They printed it on their own PRO-100 using Easy-Photoprint, and it did the same thing.  The rep's cheap desktop 2-cartridge printer printed blues much more accurately than his PRO-100 did.  Then he tried both with a Canon sample image with the same conclusion.  Well %&*#!  Perhaps he and I are both idiots, but he put me on 20-minute hold while he consulted with others, and I can't believe none of then would know how to correctly print a jpeg on their own machine.  So I'm sending it back to Amazon.  My backup ideas were the ix6520 and the ip7220.  The rep happily printed my image on their 7220 and said it was better than the PRO-100 but still not as accurate as his 2-tank.  He's trying to dig up a ix6520 to compare.  To his credit, he readily agreed that he'd not keep a printer with those PRO-100 prints either.  I really have no conclusions--It's only the cool blues that are bad, and there are so many folks here and elsewhere that like their PRO-100 that I can't think it's universal.

penns
Like?

klavrack wrote:

Bad news here--burned through a bunch more paper trying various programs, settings and paper.  The best was through Lightroom 3 with all color management turned off for the printer driver, but it was still way off.  Spent 3 hours on phone with Canon.  Finally sent them my file and the scanned print from my PRO-100.  They printed it on their own PRO-100 using Easy-Photoprint, and it did the same thing.  The rep's cheap desktop 2-cartridge printer printed blues much more accurately than his PRO-100 did.  Then he tried both with a Canon sample image with the same conclusion.  Well %&*#!  Perhaps he and I are both idiots, but he put me on 20-minute hold while he consulted with others, and I can't believe none of then would know how to correctly print a jpeg on their own machine.  So I'm sending it back to Amazon.  My backup ideas were the ix6520 and the ip7220.  The rep happily printed my image on their 7220 and said it was better than the PRO-100 but still not as accurate as his 2-tank.  He's trying to dig up a ix6520 to compare.  To his credit, he readily agreed that he'd not keep a printer with those PRO-100 prints either.  I really have no conclusions--It's only the cool blues that are bad, and there are so many folks here and elsewhere that like their PRO-100 that I can't think it's universal.

Bummer.  I was hoping you'd come up with something.  My problem is that I've now had the printer beyond the return date.  I'm planning to call Canon this afternoon to see if there's anything they can do.

klavrack
Like?

penns wrote:

klavrack wrote:

Bummer.  I was hoping you'd come up with something.  My problem is that I've now had the printer beyond the return date.  I'm planning to call Canon this afternoon to see if there's anything they can do.

What did it for me was sending them the images I posted here--an original file and the scans from my PRO-100 and i860.  Their own prints matched my PRO print, but not my i860 or the original.  FWIW, they were very helpful and you may get them to do what you decide to do.  BTW, the rep found an ix6520, set it up and reported very accurate results.  I'm going to give that one a try.  It's not wireless and not supposed to be in the same league, but I'm out of options.

penns
Like?

klavrack wrote:

penns wrote:

klavrack wrote:

What did it for me was sending them the images I posted here--an original file and the scans from my PRO-100 and i860.  Their own prints matched my PRO print, but not my i860 or the original.  FWIW, they were very helpful and you may get them to do what you decide to do.  BTW, the rep found an ix6520, set it up and reported very accurate results.  I'm going to give that one a try.  It's not wireless and not supposed to be in the same league, but I'm out of options.

I called Canon, sent my comparison images.  They had me print one of their sample photos.  Yep, magenta.  He's looking into it and will call me back later this afternoon.  I told him to print it on a Pro 100 there.  He said he would.  Plus he is looking at other stuff (?).  I wanted a good photo printer because (a) I print all my own personal photos and (b) I am just starting a digital media master's program.  I love the sharpness of the Pro 100 but I have to get the magenta fixed.

klavrack
Like?
In reply to penns, Apr 2, 2013

I'll be curious about what they find out for you.  BTW, the guy I spoke to there was Robert.

penns
Like?
In reply to klavrack, Apr 2, 2013

klavrack wrote:

I'll be curious about what they find out for you.  BTW, the guy I spoke to there was Robert.

Thanks

penns
Like?
In reply to klavrack, Apr 3, 2013

klavrack wrote:

Canon is sending me a return label.  They are going to test the printer out at their facilities.  So I won't have an answer for awhile.  Thankfully I do have a printer that I can use for documents, but I'd love to print some pictures soon.

klavrack
Like?
In reply to penns, Apr 4, 2013

Hope it works out.  If they say it's printing correctly, make sure they have one of your jpegs that exhibits the purple shift and that they scan and send you their print of it.  That way you can confirm that their print is true to the original image.  If it is, also have them specify what program and settings they used to get that result.  I really thought mine made beautiful prints in all other respects, so hopefully they'll be able to determine what the problem is.

klavrack
Like?
In reply to penns, Apr 14, 2013

penns wrote:

klavrack wrote:

Canon is sending me a return label.  They are going to test the printer out at their facilities.  So I won't have an answer for awhile.  Thankfully I do have a printer that I can use for documents, but I'd love to print some pictures soon.

Amazon took mine back.  After much anguish, I anted up for an old unused i960 on E-Bay, which arrived today.  Perfect from the very 1st print, hallelujah!  Plus, I can print with genuine Canon BCI-6 tanks for $6 each, or plug in Chromalife CLI-8's for a little more.   I wish the Pro100 had worked out for the sake of the larger capacity, though.

klavrack
Like?
In reply to penns, Apr 23, 2013

Just an update--my new-in-box i960 is doing great.  Just finished 1st tank of BCI-6 Photo Magenta.  I replaced it with a CLI-8PM tank--still spot-on color and I get a fairly economical option with better fade resistance.  Shame on Canon for phasing such printers out, IMO.  Last time I looked, a new-in-box i9900 was listed on Ebay for $1500.  Still, lots of happy PRO-100 owners out there.  Any word on yours?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads