Started Jan 18, 2013 | Questions
penns
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Pixma Pro 100 prints are too dark
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 26, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

You don't really have to print it if you can tell what it looks like. When I print it on Glossy II the sky is dark, almost ominous. The buildings don't show the darkness as much, but if I look close they are darker what I think they should be. If it looks good to you, where do I begin with trying to figure out how to check the settings? What settings do I check first? I really appreciate your help.

Well I just downloaded it and oppened on my laptop. It looks pretty bright and what I would call, normal. The sky is bright cyan and the buildings have nice open shadow details and nice color.

I printed a small 4x6 on epson ultra glossy using Qimage and printing through the matching ICC profile to my Epson Artisan 720. results pretty much matched the screen even though I just reinstalled everything on my laptop and have not yet calibrated the monitor with the colormunki, it does not match perfectly in color. However, the overall image is not at all dark with an omminous sky as you describe. The print matches the monitor as far as birghtness.

I've heard that the PRO-1 works best using the printer's own easy print plugin through Photoshop.

Other than that I have to direct experience with the PRO-1 but I do have a PRO 9500 and 9000 MKII and I mostly print through both of them through the plug in in PS.

Joe

I think my next step is to call Canon.  I just applied for a spot in a Master's Degree program in Digital Media.  When I am accepted, I can work on getting Photoshopwith a student discount, but until then...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
penns
Like?
In reply to penns, Feb 26, 2013

penns wrote:

Pete4 wrote:

If I may add my 5 cents:

Have you printed pictures from another program, for example windows viewer?

I would also disable color profiling (print/options/color management), since often color profile is applied inside PS and printer driver itself at the same time, making it all wrong. I had struggled with that issue on my printer before.

I am printing from windows viewer. I do not have print shop. There is no option to turn off color managemant, probably because I don't have PS. I will be giving Canon a call soon.

Photoshop, not print shop.  lol  It's been a long day.

penns
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 4, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

You don't really have to print it if you can tell what it looks like. When I print it on Glossy II the sky is dark, almost ominous. The buildings don't show the darkness as much, but if I look close they are darker what I think they should be. If it looks good to you, where do I begin with trying to figure out how to check the settings? What settings do I check first? I really appreciate your help.

Well I just downloaded it and oppened on my laptop. It looks pretty bright and what I would call, normal. The sky is bright cyan and the buildings have nice open shadow details and nice color.

I printed a small 4x6 on epson ultra glossy using Qimage and printing through the matching ICC profile to my Epson Artisan 720. results pretty much matched the screen even though I just reinstalled everything on my laptop and have not yet calibrated the monitor with the colormunki, it does not match perfectly in color. However, the overall image is not at all dark with an omminous sky as you describe. The print matches the monitor as far as birghtness.

I've heard that the PRO-1 works best using the printer's own easy print plugin through Photoshop.

Other than that I have to direct experience with the PRO-1 but I do have a PRO 9500 and 9000 MKII and I mostly print through both of them through the plug in in PS.

Joe

Just got off the phone with Canon.  They agree there is a problem  Directed me to my nearest service center.

penns
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 23, 2013

Just to review--Prints were pronting dark.  (Darker than same pics printed on HP printer)  Called Canon.  Told me to bring it in to service.  Canon sent me a new printer.

So here I am and the printer is still printing the same, so it has to ba a setting.  I had been focusing on one particular print that had a beautifil blue sky and couldn't get the sky right.  I printed out several other pictures and I've figured out it is NOT a problem with darkness.  It is a problem with the blue.  I am getting more magenta in the blue than I should be so the sky looks darker, grayer, or purpler.  I printed a pic with green orange and yellow tulips and it was beautiful.  Much sharper than the pic printed on the HP.

Then I tried printing other pictures with a lot of blue.  Hydrangeas were purple and gray,  There is some blue, but it is not as bright and clear as it should be.  Next I printed a pic of a fish market where the fish were in bright blue plastic tubs.  Definite purple overtone.

Any idea how to fix this?  Thanks!

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,554
Like?
In reply to penns, Mar 24, 2013

penns wrote:

Just to review--Prints were pronting dark. (Darker than same pics printed on HP printer) Called Canon. Told me to bring it in to service. Canon sent me a new printer.

So here I am and the printer is still printing the same, so it has to ba a setting. I had been focusing on one particular print that had a beautifil blue sky and couldn't get the sky right. I printed out several other pictures and I've figured out it is NOT a problem with darkness. It is a problem with the blue. I am getting more magenta in the blue than I should be so the sky looks darker, grayer, or purpler. I printed a pic with green orange and yellow tulips and it was beautiful. Much sharper than the pic printed on the HP.

Then I tried printing other pictures with a lot of blue. Hydrangeas were purple and gray, There is some blue, but it is not as bright and clear as it should be. Next I printed a pic of a fish market where the fish were in bright blue plastic tubs. Definite purple overtone.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

If the colors are out of the printer's color gamut it will be impossible to print them.  You need to soft-proof the image in say Photoshop, and turn on the gamut warning.  If the blue area is greyed out then you can't print that particular blue.  The rendering intent (relative or perceptual)  selected in the print window will remap that out of gamut blue color to another blue color that is in the printer's gamut even if it is incorrect..  Plus it is a known fact that monitor blues are brighter and have a difficult time with print to monitor matching. Remember the monitor is a transmitted light and the print a reflected light, colors will perceived differently.

Bob P.

penns
Like?
In reply to Petruska, Mar 24, 2013

Petruska wrote:

penns wrote:

Just to review--Prints were pronting dark. (Darker than same pics printed on HP printer) Called Canon. Told me to bring it in to service. Canon sent me a new printer.

So here I am and the printer is still printing the same, so it has to ba a setting. I had been focusing on one particular print that had a beautifil blue sky and couldn't get the sky right. I printed out several other pictures and I've figured out it is NOT a problem with darkness. It is a problem with the blue. I am getting more magenta in the blue than I should be so the sky looks darker, grayer, or purpler. I printed a pic with green orange and yellow tulips and it was beautiful. Much sharper than the pic printed on the HP.

Then I tried printing other pictures with a lot of blue. Hydrangeas were purple and gray, There is some blue, but it is not as bright and clear as it should be. Next I printed a pic of a fish market where the fish were in bright blue plastic tubs. Definite purple overtone.

If the colors are out of the printer's color gamut it will be impossible to print them. You need to soft-proof the image in say Photoshop, and turn on the gamut warning. If the blue area is greyed out then you can't print that particular blue. The rendering intent (relative or perceptual) selected in the print window will remap that out of gamut blue color to another blue color that is in the printer's gamut even if it is incorrect.. Plus it is a known fact that monitor blues are brighter and have a difficult time with print to monitor matching. Remember the monitor is a transmitted light and the print a reflected light, colors will perceived differently.

Bob P.

Thanks, Bob, but I'm new to this.  I have no idea how to figure out a printer's color gamut.  I would think the pixma pro 100 could print any color.  I printed the pics with blue on my HP (which no longer works) and the blue is bright and how I expected it to be.  None of the pictures have been edited, but just came straight off the camera.  In the pic with green, yellow and pink, the colors look identical to those in the HP print.  It's just the blue that has a problem.  Like I said, I'm new at this.  I have an old copy of Photoshop, but haven't really learned how to use it yet.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,221
Like?
In reply to penns, Mar 24, 2013

penns wrote:

Petruska wrote:

penns wrote:

If the colors are out of the printer's color gamut it will be impossible to print them. You need to soft-proof the image in say Photoshop, and turn on the gamut warning. If the blue area is greyed out then you can't print that particular blue. The rendering intent (relative or perceptual) selected in the print window will remap that out of gamut blue color to another blue color that is in the printer's gamut even if it is incorrect.. Plus it is a known fact that monitor blues are brighter and have a difficult time with print to monitor matching. Remember the monitor is a transmitted light and the print a reflected light, colors will perceived differently.

Bob P.

Thanks, Bob, but I'm new to this. I have no idea how to figure out a printer's color gamut. I would think the pixma pro 100 could print any color. I printed the pics with blue on my HP (which no longer works) and the blue is bright and how I expected it to be. None of the pictures have been edited, but just came straight off the camera. In the pic with green, yellow and pink, the colors look identical to those in the HP print. It's just the blue that has a problem. Like I said, I'm new at this. I have an old copy of Photoshop, but haven't really learned how to use it yet. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Deep blues ( really are more toward what we call purple optically speaking ) are very difficult to reproduce by any printer. Your HP was very lucky to be able to do so.

Just about any good monitor will display a wider gamut that just about any consumer printer will be able to reproduce in print.

On your old copy of Photoshop, open up an image with the problematic blue. While you are viewing it. Click to the VIEW tab, then on the GAMUT WARNING Tab.

Anything the turned GRAY will be out of gamut or outside the capabilities of most printers to reproduce as you see it. The printer will do it's best to shift the values to at least bring them within the gamut the printer is capable of producing.

Those out of gamut areas if any will be changed to more, less or none if you then soft proof through the ICC profile for the printer and paper you are intending to print on.

Go to VIEW and PROOF SETUP and CUSTOM and then click on the PREVIEW BOX, and choose the ICC profile for your printer and paper, you can choose either PERCEPTIUAL or RELATIVE COLORIMETRIC and then toggling the preview box on and off you can get a idea how each rendering intent and the particular paper profile will affect the final look of your image's colors.

This is NOT a perfect 100% prediction of how the actual print will look but it is a pretty good approximation.

penns
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 25, 2013

Thanks, I'll work on that tomorrow.

penns
Like?
In reply to Petruska, Mar 30, 2013

Ok, I checked the gamut, nothing wrong there.  I was told it might be the version of windows as I was using two different computers.  Hooked the old hp up to the newer computer that I was using with the Canon.  Printed the pic with the blue sky on the hp through Windows Photo--same as the Canon.  Hp prints a beautiful blue sky, Canon prints a grey-purple sky.   More magenta in the Canon print.  Any other ideas?  I really want to love this printer.  Thanks

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,273
Like?
In reply to penns, Mar 30, 2013

penns wrote:

Ok, I checked the gamut, nothing wrong there.  I was told it might be the version of windows as I was using two different computers.  Hooked the old hp up to the newer computer that I was using with the Canon.  Printed the pic with the blue sky on the hp through Windows Photo--same as the Canon.  Hp prints a beautiful blue sky, Canon prints a grey-purple sky.   More magenta in the Canon print.  Any other ideas?  I really want to love this printer.  Thanks

So what settings are you using in  what software and on what paper?

It would be helpful if you could post screen shots the the dialogs with the settings.

Brian A

penns
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 31, 2013

Here are some screen shots.  The first is if I print in Photoshop, the second is from Windows photo viewer, the third is printing preferences from the control panel.  Are there more screen shots I should do?  Thanks

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to penns, Mar 31, 2013

penns wrote:

Here are some screen shots.  The first is if I print in Photoshop,

In the Photoshop dialog, the printer profile should be a printer profile, not a working space profile. It should be the profile for the paper.

And, if Photoshop is managing  color, you need to turn off printer color managment, I don't see that in the printer dialog, but perhaps the manual setting does that?

(You can get a screen grab of just the current window, or current dialog, byusing alt-PrtScn, instead of just PrtScn, which grabs the entire display.)

Brian A

penns
Like?

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

In the Photoshop dialog, the printer profile should be a printer profile, not a working space profile. It should be the profile for the paper.

And, if Photoshop is managing  color, you need to turn off printer color managment, I don't see that in the printer dialog, but perhaps the manual setting does that?

(You can get a screen grab of just the current window, or current dialog, byusing alt-PrtScn, instead of just PrtScn, which grabs the entire display.)

Brian A

Ok Tried that.  The sky seems less purple, but now the buildings are hot pink.

klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

I'm trying to calibrate my new PRO-100 received today and have EXACTLY the same problem.  My old Canon i860 has no problem with the blues, but this thing turns them purple.  The same thing happens with various papers and print settings, printed from Paint Shop Pro, from Lightroom or from Windows Picture viewer.  I'll try to call Canon Monday, but it's utterly unusable like this.  If you figure it out, let me know and I'll do likewise.

Hugowolf
Like?

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

So what is the name of the paper profile youare using? And are you sure you are turning off color management in the printer. You haven't shown a printer dialog box yet.

Brian A

Hugowolf
Like?

At this stage you should really be printing with the printer managing color, color management turned off in Photoshop, and on Canon paper.

Brian A

penns
Like?

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

So what is the name of the paper profile youare using? And are you sure you are turning off color management in the printer. You haven't shown a printer dialog box yet.

Brian A

Sorry, I'm new at this.  What is the printer dialog box that you need to see?  I've tried two profiles, the one highlighted in the screenshot here and the profile just below that one.  I am using Glossy II Canon paper.  I had the problem before I ever installed Photoshop, using Windows photo viewer and the Canon Easy photo print software that came with the printer.

penns
Like?
In reply to klavrack, Mar 31, 2013

klavrack wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

I'm trying to calibrate my new PRO-100 received today and have EXACTLY the same problem.  My old Canon i860 has no problem with the blues, but this thing turns them purple.  The same thing happens with various papers and print settings, printed from Paint Shop Pro, from Lightroom or from Windows Picture viewer.  I'll try to call Canon Monday, but it's utterly unusable like this.  If you figure it out, let me know and I'll do likewise.

Whew, now I know I'm not crazy.  But sorry you are having the same problem.  I called Canon 3 or 4 weeks ago.  They sent me to a service center but they didn't know what to do.  Canon ended up sending me a replacement printer.  New printer does the same thing.  I love the clarity of the prints. but the blue/purple problem is driving me crazy.  And thanks in advance for letting me know what you figure out.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,221
Like?

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

Brian A

Sorry, I'm new at this.  What is the printer dialog box that you need to see?  I've tried two profiles, the one highlighted in the screenshot here and the profile just below that one.  I am using Glossy II Canon paper.  I had the problem before I ever installed Photoshop, using Windows photo viewer and the Canon Easy photo print software that came with the printer.

Yes but are you turning off color management in the printer driver when you are letting Photoshop manage color through that Canon ICC profile? It is located by clicking on Color / Intensity Manual Adjustment. Then on Matching and then on NONE.

As Brian said, since you stated you are new at this maybe you need to just concentrate on printing with Canon Paper and letting Canon drive control color and in the Photoshop Print dialog indicate that you want the printer to control color.

You could also use the Canon Easy Print PRO plugin that comes with the Software CD. It is super easy and does give very good matches.

Joe

klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 31, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

penns wrote:

Brian A

Brian A

Yes but are you turning off color management in the printer driver when you are letting Photoshop manage color through that Canon ICC profile? It is located by clicking on Color / Intensity Manual Adjustment. Then on Matching and then on NONE.

As Brian said, since you stated you are new at this maybe you need to just concentrate on printing with Canon Paper and letting Canon drive control color and in the Photoshop Print dialog indicate that you want the printer to control color.

You could also use the Canon Easy Print PRO plugin that comes with the Software CD. It is super easy and does give very good matches.

Joe

Yes, tried that, too.  We're not talking about a minor magenta shift here--cool blues come out purple.  I've printed the same files on the same paper for years, using the i860 (LOVE that printer), even the throw-away bargain-bin ip2702 and HP equivalent--never had blues do this.  FYI Penns--I just updated to the newest versions of Canon's software.  No change.  I can improve it some with huge adjustments on the manual balance, but it's still off, and I don't plan to try that with each type of paper.  BTW, I'm using Windows 7 (x64)...you?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads